Code of Conduct

Default Attars From India!!!

Hello all,

for the past month I've been on vacation in India (Kolkota and Hyderabad). While I was in Hyderabad I went to the traditional "Old City" portion to a famous Attar store (Nizam Attar). I ended picking up the following:

1) Shamamatul Amber: A sweet mixture of amber and saffron.

2) Jannatul Firdaws: The name in Arabic means the highest station in heaven. It is a mixture of many, many different types of flowers but is still strong and masculine with a little soapy edge. This has always been a classic in attars.

3) Oudh: They had 3 different grades, all from Assam (in India). The cheapest is mixed in with sandal oil and resembles oudh but isn't deep or rich. The most expensie one, which I ended up buying one "tolla" of (is this equal to a dram, because it's a pretty big bottle if you ask me), is resinous and sticky. Just a pleasure to wear.

4) Makhallat: Sadly I forgot the composition of this but it's a mixture of only a couple different oils. I think rose, sandal, and maybe even oudh were some of the components. Really like this one, sweet, floral, but still manly and beautifully blended.

5) Sandal: In this also they had a couple different qualities, the diluted to the pure oil from the tree. I got the pure oil but only a small bottle as it was expensive (not even in the same ballpark as the oudh though), but not of my favorites. I did want to get some though to compare with the designers I test. The excellent quality is evident though.

I really love them and encourage others to try attars also as the pure components they use make them totally different from designers ( I know this makes no sense but I'm a little sleepy).
    I think a couple trusted attar names I've heard on this site have been:

Madini, Attar Bazaar, Ajmal, Amouge to name a few. I might be able to find other cheaper ones also in anyone is ineterested.

Default Re: Got Some Attars From India!!!

They sound wonderful.

Congrats on some great-sounding purchases!

Sorry to sound so naive for being on the board for so long, but what is an attar?
    I went to the arabian bazaar web page as it was one of the ads on basenotes, but there really isn't much information there.
    K
    In rotation: YSL PH HC, Bogart Citytower, Fahrenheit, Paco Rabanne PH, Escada Magnetism for Men, Halston 1-12
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

The trouble with the attar sites is that they rarely give notes or any more than a lyrical wax on the scent.
    At some of those prices, this doesn't encourage sales. I'd rely on word-of-mouth advertising, given the lack of description. Sampling programs would also be good. I haven't liked Attar Bazaar that much, nor Madini, and especially did not like the Madini oudh (these two do offer samples, however). The Ajmal appear much more intriguing.

Wow- your purchases (and your trip) sound wonderful. I am quite envious.

RE: Attars- For those wondering, the ones from India were tradtionally sandalwood oil, heavily infused with the essences of flowers, herbs, resins, etc. Hence Rose Attar, Jasmine Attar, Amber Attar. These days it seems "attar" is sometimes interchangeable with "essential oil." Traditionally though they are not the same thing exactly.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Hi,
    I thought most of oudh came from abroad like malaysia as they had cut most of the trees down in Assam. I would like to get some oudh in england but it is an endangered species here. Did you burn the wood substance called agarwood?
    Concerning the ajmals there is website you can go to www.ajmalperfume.com . What sort price can one expect to pay for attar in England for about 10ml?
    (By the way tola is about 10 grams, i think the exact is around 11.9 grams or something).
    shah

Congrats, buddy!

I`m also just return from India - but other way.
    I`ve been in Mysore (for sandalwood and oil), Mumbai (for oudh and some attars) and KANNAUJ (little town in Uttar Pradesh, former capital of India - 7 century, close to Agra and Lucknow).

The best part were Mumbai where I bought agarwood chips and some attars too, and Kannauj where I`ve been in two attar factories - private and governmental.

The truth is - in Indian tradition all essential oils are distilled into sandalwood oil (that is better than those extracted to liquid paraffin or even some chemicals). So all Indian attars has a mild sandalwood base.

One of the Indian specialities is Attar Mitti - they make it by distillation of baked clay into sandalwood. 300-500 Rs/tola. Smells like earth after first rain begins. Very good earthy smell.

Others that I bought are Majmua, Jannatul Firdaus, Kastoori (musk, oudh, sandal), Oudh, Mukhallat Maliki, Shamama, Heena.

Agarwood oil is MUCH more expensive - from 400 to 40 000 rupees per tola (11.6 g). Rates per dollar is 44 rupees. Agarwood chips (Kambodja, Assam, Vietnam) are from 20 to 200 rupees per tola.Quality is the subject of cheating, adulteration and dilution just everywhere...

Also I get some frankincense, benzoin, myrrhe and cyperus - in pure resins for burning.

Vetiver The Great!!!

I was wonderin why attar never really took off in Western world? Is it because it is too strong or it is oil based?

shah

Attars are too strong for european weather - they are made for hotter temperatures so they are concentrated and quite strong.
    Also main notes are different
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hey MoonFish interesting response, you got some awesome scores too!

I already have Attar Mitti also and like it every now and then for a change but it not's an everyday thing. Very Unique though.

Majmua I tried and didn't find it extremely appealing. Jannatul Firdaus I love and think it could be a big hit in hte Western World also. Could you describe a little about Kastoori, sounds interesting.

And do you know the character of Mukhallat, I love this stuff.

And to Rockinter, there are places to get Oudh online, but it'll be very very expensive. I'm not from England so don't know where to get it there.

I have also tried Jannat al naeem. Good fresh but very powerful stuff. I have a spare 3ml vial, if anyone in the UK wants, let me know.

Majmua 96 , oh god , is just damn amazing , a dark stark vetiver blended with kewda , armenian bole . Its green as an emerald, an incredibly haunting scent , It smells like something a monk from 2000 years ago would wear. For an oil its incredibly strong ! I can see why its so popular in India. Its a love or hate scent , my mom HATES IT, because she feels it conjures images of tantrics and sufis who hang out in graveyards lol.

hey guys, has anyone bought anything from Lala Jagdish Prasad in Kanpur, India?
    i might be going to India & was thinking of visiting them-their website looks quite professional & im expecting the prices of their attars to be cheaper in India as i will be paying in Rupees
    heres the website: http://www.naturalfragrances.net/nat...an-attars.html
    please-any advice will be appreciated
    also:
    pls give me the names of the most reasonable attar dealers you guys know of in new Delhi & Bombay/Mumbai
    im not asking for expensive stores like Ajmal but the more traditional dealers.
    PS-im going to post this exact message in other threads-so that i can get max responses, so please dont think im a spammer etc

hey guys, has anyone bought anything from Lala Jagdish Prasad in Kanpur, India?
    i might be going to India & was thinking of visiting them-their website looks quite professional & im expecting the prices of their attars to be cheaper in India as i will be paying in Rupees
    heres the website: http://www.naturalfragrances.net/nat...an-attars.html
    please-any advice will be appreciated
    also:
    pls give me the names of the most reasonable attar dealers you guys know of in new Delhi & Bombay/Mumbai
    im not asking for expensive stores like Ajmal but the more traditional dealers.
    PS-im going to post this exact message in other threads-so that i can get max responses, so please dont think im a spammer etc

Default Re: Attars From India!!!

Congrats nice collection

Quote Originally Posted by MisterK View Post
    Sorry to sound so naive for being on the board for so long, but what is an attar?
    I went to the arabian bazaar web page as it was one of the ads on basenotes, but there really isn't much information there.
    K

Ittar means sandal wood oil blended with flowers and/or other spices... ! This is my understanding

please visit Gulabsingh joharimal's store in the chandni chowk for the same..

Quote Originally Posted by gadiavaibhav View Post
    please visit Gulabsingh joharimal's store in the chandni chowk for the same..
    i wont do that because whenever they see a foreigner, the prices suddenly go up
    id rather go to Kannauj in UP or go to Mumbai where theres lots of attar wholesalers who sell good stuff at reasonable prices.

ohk thats great..can u please tell me the markets names of mumbai and kannauj for the same.

Default Re: Attars From India!!!

Is there a reputable seller in the North America that carries attars of good quality?