Code of Conduct

Default Most Disappointing Fragrance Award

In the spirit of Festivus, I ask my fellow Basenoters to gather around the aluminum pole to tell all the following:

Which fragrance has disappointed you the most?

In other words: what is the fragrance that you you REALLY wanted to like but which just FAILED in some way that made you DISAPPOINTED?

I'd like to get a list of candidates and run a poll to find out which fragrances are The Basenotes Great Disappointers.

My submission: Himalaya. I LOVE the stuff, but it is gone (completely, without a trace, regardless of where I spray or how much I spray) in under one hour. I'm on my third bottle, each from a different source--same pathetic lack of longevity. I have given up hope and delcare myself to be officially DISAPPOINTED WITH HIMALAYA.

All right, then. Here's your chance. Ladies and gentlemen, declare your disappointment! Multiple declarations are welcome!

Default Re: Most Disappointing Fragrance Award

When I found out that Bond No.9 was coming out with some high end fragrances, I assumed that they would have done their homework and come out with some kickass juice. Other than New Haarlem, which I think is a homerun, their other stuff is mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    When I found out that Bond No.9 was coming out with some high end fragrances, I assumed that they would have done their homework and come out with some kickass juice. Other than New Haarlem, which I think is a homerun, their other stuff is mediocre at best.
    Which Bond No. 9 fragrances did you try that you found disappointing?

Hamptons, Hot Always, Chez bond, Riverside Drive, South NY, Chinatown, Little Italy and some others

Hamptons, Hot Always, Chez bond, Riverside Drive, South NY, Chinatown, Little Italy and some others
    With the exception of Hamptons and Chez Bond, I concur with your disappointment regarding the other Bond No. 9 fragrances.........Now we're rolling! More disappointments, please!

Congratulations ... at least you found one! I tried every one ... and I mean EVERY one and still haven't found one worth purchasing. The closest one for me is Eau de New York and even that has a "funky" drydown on me.

So in the spirit of Festivus, Bond No. 9 ........... YOU SUCK!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    So in the spirit of Festivus, Bond No. 9 ........... YOU SUCK!!!
    Please, don't hold back...

If this is about 2005 releases I must add Givenchy Very Irrésistible. Before it's release I remember everyone here at BN was looking forward to trying it but we have not heard much about it since that.

I bought it myself but have only worn it once or twice. I won't say it sucks but it is really boring and we could all have lived well without it.

Think I will wear it tomorrow then........... :

Mic.

Polo *Blech!*, I mean Polo Black.
    There is no Nose....

Salvatore Ferragamo Incanto Pour Homme.

I like the scent but its's so weak that I can hardly smell it. Even on my shirt. The only reason I keep it in my collection is that I layer it with Subtil with gives a nice result.

Can gurlz join in??? 8-) If so...

And in the spirit of Festivus:

Angel = instant antiperistalsis.

There are so many appropriate for Festivus!

As mentioned: The entire Bond 9 collection, polo black, VI, etc.

For 2005 The Disappointing Fragrance Award goes to Obsession Night for men.

Blog Entries

I'll throw in Hanae Mori. I really wanted to like this one...but nope.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Some high hopes/hard crashes scents, to me, include, but are not limited to:

Polo Black: Someone at Ralph Lauren is obviously color-blind. This should be called Polo Deep Yellow. Just too darn fruit-based.

Onyx by Azzaro: OUCH!! I tried and tried...but this one consistently smell like a genius combination of gasoline and mothballs on my skin. No thanks!!

Kenneth Cole Signature: Ken, buddy....stick to making watches if you gonna play like that!!

Nu by YSL: Just doesn't get dark enough on me.

: : :

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus

in my case, i love this fragance, i see that is hated by many in this forum.. anyway sure im not the onlyone who love it, heeh

and most disappointing frag. for me is V. I givenchy--- :-X

I remember trying Givenchy Insense (the very floral aldehydic one)
    in the early 1990's and thought it was interesting.

Fast forward to 2003. Bought a bottle blind off the Internet.
    Just _cannot_ bring myself to wear this. Ugh!!!

Explorator Dumpsterorum

My nominee for Most Disappointing Fragrance Award goes to Tam Dao by Diptyque.

I will be alone in my opinion I'm sure and I'm guessing that no one would ever second my nomination, but to me there are several fragrances out there that better express TD's "meditative" purview -- Gucci pour Homme, Passage d'Enfer, and some sandalwoods as well -- and do it with better longevity, too?!

For me, it is probably the only real disappointment in my scent-buying, in that I just couldn't find any redeeming qualities in the 'fume.

Bvlgari Aqva

I hold this house in too high of a regard for them to put out this scent which is a slightly better made clone of AdG. *I'm sorry but for the house that put out Bvlgari Pour Homme and Black to do this is a travesty. *Bvlgari's better than following trends and shouldn't have to resort to putting out this cloned garbage. *Thank god I discovered Kiehl's Musk that night and was able to shake away the memories and the betrayal I felt when I tried this scent. *Shame on them. *

#1 L'Artisan's VdR...Nice top-notes, ghastly drydown.

#2 Tabarome Millesime...Gone in 60 seconds.

#3 Hermes Rocabar...see #2

#4 Chanel's Antaeus...see #1

#5 Valentino's Vendetta...see #1 AND #2
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    Bvlgari Aqva

I hold this house in too high of a regard for them to put out this scent which is a slightly better made clone of AdG. *I'm sorry but for the house that put out Bvlgari Pour Homme and Black to do this is a travesty. *Bvlgari's better than following trends and shouldn't have to resort to putting out this cloned garbage. *Thank god I discovered Kiehl's Musk that night and was able to shake away the memories and the betrayal I felt when I tried this scent. *Shame on them. *
    I think Bulgari should be proud to have created Aqua. The mineral amber drydown is one of the most unique I've encountered. Granted, the top note is pretty generic. In contrast, Blu Notte has to be one of the most disappointing scents I have ever smelled. Chocolate and Tobacco? Yuk.

Well, let me mock Dzing! once again...I am very sure that I will never be so disapointed again with any other fragrance.

Dior Eau Noire. I thought it would be so nice. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Dior Eau Noire. I thought it would be so nice. *:P
    If I remember, isn't this one with the dark green juice in the cylinder bottle? If so, it smelled of celery and a spice rack to me and I did not like it.

Disappointment #1:

Burberry Brit for Men. My disappointment summed up in this previous post:

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    I love the nutty-tonka-woody-vanilla base of Brit and was very disappointed in the release of the men's version as it seemed to have nothing in common with the women's. Then I stumbled across Dune PH. I'm sure it is the tonka and wood notes that remind me of BB. It is less sweet than BB; more "green" and citrus; subtle. It is very close to what I had hoped for from Brit for Men.....
    Disappointment #2:

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    #1 L'Artisan's VdR...Nice top-notes, ghastly drydown.

#2 Tabarome Millesime...Gone in 60 seconds.

#3 Hermes Rocabar...see #2

#4 Chanel's Antaeus...see #1

#5 Valentino's Vendetta...see #1 AND #2
    knightowl, I must disagree with you on the Rocabar. This stuff lasts 8-10+ hours on me. It is too bad it doesn't last on your skin.

Herrera Chic. I've liked her stuff till this one came along. I could have bought it yesterday pretty cheaply - I gave it a miss. I just don't like it.

Oh, and Issey Blue was a mild dsappointment - mitigated by the fact that it was such a puzzle and great fun figuring out what the hell was in this ridiculous scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    [quote author=Concord link=1135721913/15#22 date=1135765929]Dior Eau Noire. I thought it would be so nice. *:P
    If I remember, isn't this one with the dark green juice in the cylinder bottle? If so, it smelled of celery and a spice rack to me and I did not like it.[/quote]

Yup, that's the one. Celery and spice rack on vanilla icecream base. *shudders*

I second KC Signature and Polo Black, both of which advertise themselves to be Gucci PH, but are nothing but fruit-baskets.

I also concur that Bvlgari Blv Notte is Naaaas-ty, as is Gaultier2 (for which I had SUCH high hopes)

Mugler Cologne!!!!!!!!........no words!!!

I really wanted to like Allure by Chanel but absolutely hated it as soon as it was sprayed on my skin. Even waiting an hour or two didn't improve it.

I'd have to say M7. I wanted to LOVE this like others have and embrace it but... after months of building up hype, I finally got the chance to test it and I just went ................................... okay. Yeah, very dissappointing.

From my own personal tests...

-Kouros (need I say more?)
    -Azzaro Onyx (cough)
    -Guerlain Vetiver (college disinfectant)
    -Dior Eau Sauvage (gone within 2 hours)
    -LV Piper Nigrum
    -Givenchy Pi (pure powder)
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

For 2005: Polo Black, Hugo Energise and Lacoste Essential

Most disappointing frags of 2005: Obsession Night and Polo Black.
    David and Becca forever!!

Herrera Aqua for me, YUK.

And I also felt that the other aqua, Bvlgari Aqva, was a bit too middle-of-the-road, no matter how nice and pleasant though. I was disappointed in a sense that I expected something a bit more off the beaten path.
    BLV Notte I love though, there's much much more to it than just chocolate and tobacco.

habit rouge,and all things guerlain
    laguna
    escada

I guess I'll have to dodge bullets but:

Bois du Portugal *Creed ----the line between tasteful and boring is thin indeed . . .
    Erolfa *Creed--------------smells like water

Le Dandy *D'Orsay ------good, *but not as great as I'd hoped *
    Heliotrope *Etro ----------couldn't stand it

Cefiro *Floris--------------can't even remember it * *
    Elite *Floris----------------ditto * *
    J.F. *Floris-----------------ditto
    Santal *Floris 2002 ------ditto
    Curzon *Geo F Trumper------------see Bois du Portugal * *
    Extract of West Indian Limes *Geo F Trumper -------------citrusy/ annoying * *
    GFT *Geo F Trumper 2001------------------------------------Paled next to Eucris
    *Sandalwood Geo F Trumper---------------------Paled next to MPG's Santal Noble *
    Milk of Flowers *Geo F Trumper------------------------------citrusy/ annoying
    Bois Farine *L'Artisan Parfumeur-----------------------------couldn't stand it *
    Dzing! *L'Artisan Parfumeur-----------------------------------couldn't stand it
    Vetiver *L'Artisan Parfumeur------------------------Paled next to Guerlian's *

Centaure *Maître Parfumeur et Gantier--------------------see Bois du Portugal
    Route du Vetiver Maiitre Parfumer et Gantier------harsh, *caricature of macho
    Ambre Sultan *Serge Lutens-------------------caricature of, *er . . . anti-macho *
    Chergui *Serge Lutens--------------------------------ditto * *
    Datura Noir *Serge Lutens----------------------------ditto
    Santal Blanc *Serge Lutens-----------------------Paled next to *MpG's Santal Noble*
    Vétyver Oriental *Serge Lutens----------------------Paled next to *Guerlian's

Vetiver Hombre Adolfo Dominguez----------------- ditto.

virtually all CdG's----------------------------------too gimmicky/ mondo bizarro
    virtually all Diptique--------------------------------ditto.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods-----------------------cheapo smelling esp drydown.

Vera Wang for Men-----------------------discordant notes, *didn't do a thing for me.

Or Black *Pascal Morabito -------------------------see Bois du Portugal

M7------------------------------------------------------see Ambre Sultan
    Opium for Men-----------------------------------------ditto

Givenchy Gentleman-----great for a *week, *then it's a patchouli nightmare.

My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I was very disappointed in Hanae Mori. Guess my expectations were too high. A valued SA had pitched it to me as a "must have". Nawwwww

Passage d'Enfer - L'Artisan Parfumeur Very, very shortlived

Azzaro Visit Metallic and synthetic

Trot

Messe de Minuit - Toxic waste
    Annick Goutal Vetiver - weird
    Tea for two - what the hell is this stuff?
    Passage D'enfer - extremely overrated

I will second the A.G. Vetyver.
    Smelled like soy sauce.very very salty.
    It was a major disappointment and was traded away.

B.G.

Lacoste Essential
    Dunhill(2003)
    Live Jazz
    Gualtier2 (sorry CoL )

Gaultier2 also. After all these years waiting for a new mens fragrance from Gaultier and all he comes up with is this boring sweet blend. :-[

I hope he will come up with somthing Gaultier worthy soon!! A Masculine fragrance please Gaultier!

Mechant Loup: rating - average to slightly above.
    Like all L'Artisans I have sampled, it seems a quality product, but this one has little wow factor.
    This one is merely pleasant and mediocrity just isn't good enough for a niche fragrance.

A wolf, even if dressed as Grandma, needs some teeth.
    Frankly, if you want to smell like a big bad wolf you'd be far better off with Azzaro PH.
    "Better" fragrance for one fifth of the price.

Rose d'Homme by Parfums de Rosine. The most horrid smelling fragrance I've ever come across.
    Caron PuH you are no longer King!
    "Ca sent les pieds!"