Code of Conduct

Default Lord and Taylor for sale!

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...d-taylor_x.htm

Federated annouced on Thursday it will sell off the retail line of Lord & Taylor that was recently acquired in the May Co. deal. The brand has slowly lost market share over the past few years, and Federated hopes to sell it off and focus solely on the Macy and Bloomingdale lines. Industry analysts from both Citigroup and Prudential predict that the line will be sold most likely to a private buyer, in an attempt to cut down retail competition. It's theorized that the line could be bought and consolidated with the now singular Saks 5th Avenue brand, which recently put up for sale it's line of stores named Parisian. The two upscale brands might be combined to make one Saks 5th Avenue in an attempt to expand Saks' market presence and strengthen Lord & Taylor markets.

So what exactly does this mean to us that enjoy fragrances? Well, not too much on the surface, but this could either eliminate a retail choice, or provide a better chance to shop at Saks, depending on how you look at this. I've never shopped at a Lord & Taylor, as I'm on the West Coast, and there already is a Saks near where I live, but I can imagine this could be exciting for people that don't have one or the other in the area. Obviously nothing is finalized yet, but it's something to keep an eye open for in the future.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lord and Taylor for sale!

When I travel to the States I often go to the mall. Now, what I never really understood was that sometimes in the same mall you had Macy's and Lord and Taylor and that they both sold virtually the same goods (same perfumes, same clothes...). So, why give you the choice to shop at 2 different departement stores if you won't find anything different inside them?

Federated (the company that owns Macy's) recently acuired May Co (which owned Lord & Taylor). They were competition to each other, so offering similar goods made sense because it provides direct competition. It's the same with Dillards; they competed with Federated and May Co for the middle retail ground, but now it's just Federated versus Dillards. You still see many May Co stores around, however, because the merger isn't complete yet, though many are being closed down as a result and others are being changed into Macy's or Bloomindale locations.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Living in New England about 5 years ago we lost or Jordan Marsh a Boston based department store to Macys and now our last New England based department store Filene's was bought over in the May accusations. So yet another name plate bits the dust. Said part is about 20 years ago Filene's was part of the Federated Department Chain but was sold off to May Company.

As for Lord & Taylor May really dragged the name plate down into the dirt. It was a upscale very specialty store geared at a very conservative customer. May tried to May-ize it by adding a Juniors Department and a Young Man's department and crappy coupons. Its image is tarnished I feel its a name that time has come and gone.

Unfortunately, I think Lord & Taylor is really just like going into a Macy's, just maybe a little bit nicer. Whoopteedoo.

If they merged with Saks, Nordies or NM, that would be pretty nice for fragophiles as they might stock some stuff which is not just mainstream.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    Living in New England about 5 years ago we lost or Jordan Marsh a Boston based department store to Macys and now our last New England based department store Filene's was bought over in the May accusations. *So yet another name plate bits the dust. *Said part is about 20 years ago Filene's was part of the Federated Department Chain but was sold off to May Company.
    Yeah, they did the same thing around Philadelphia ... they purchased Strawbridge & Clothier, which used to be the only dept store I would shop. Then Macy's took over. It became just Strawbridge's, and now the stores will be called Macy's.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]