Code of Conduct

Default Need Tips- Fragrances For Your Home?

This is off topic, but does anyone have any suggestions on stuff to make your home smell cool- like special fragrances or aromas/oils for that purpose? *I'm looking for alternatives to lame, generic room air-freshener products or incense.

Default Re: Need Tips- Fragrances For Your Home?

Several niche houses offer room fragrances and candles for this purpose (e.g. L'Artisan, Diptyque, or Jo Malone). The Malone products are quite good (I like White Hyacinths very much) and can also be used as a fragrance for yourself (but the concentration is quite weak).

Hi,
    Lampe Berger are a fantastic way of perfuming a room or house. They are a special type of lamp from the firm Berger in France, but they are sold all over the world in the big department stores. The company makes a whole range of perfumed oils to go in them. They may sound expensive at around $20 a litre bottle, but they are slow burning and last forever ! The special lamp will cost you around $30, but it is well worth the investment. It is definately the classiest form of room perfume.
    Amongst their many beautiful fragrances try Cèdre du Liban, Scandinavian Mist, Mandarine Zest, Violet Bloom. I could go on forever. Look them up on google under Lampe Berger. I have a tel. no. in france:
    0033 2 32 96 95 40.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Last fabulous room scent I've smelled recently is Farmafia SS. Annunziata CORTECCIA, a wonderful fresh and earthy smell of bark, like a walk though the woods after a spring rain.

I've always wondered how to use a room spray... Do you simply spray it right into the room or onto specific objects? Please enlighten me...

I spray it into the room and onto the curtains. This works fine.
    One SA told me to spray it on bed linen right before going to sleep, but I didn't try this yet...

I always use roomspray on curtains, lampshades, upholstery...fabric holds the scent as opposed to just spraying in the air. I am sure this isn't great for the fabrics, but it smells great. My favourite roomspray is the range by Shanghai Tang.

Well, you can always muck around with essential oils, either by
    a. * * Putting some drops into the water on top of an essential oil burner (either heated by a burning candle or electrically),
    b. * * By making your own spray - mixing 10 drops of oils with each fluid ounce (27 ml) of distilled water you put in a spray bottle, and spray around the place, or
    c. Putting three or four drops of heavy basenote oils into crunched up tissue paper left in an open container in the room (I'm partial to patchouli for this).

For selection of oils - women all love lavender in some combination, and don't mind patchouli.

Since I can't be bothered mucking around too often, when needed, I sometimes just spray Aqua de Selva in my bedroom.
    Renato

Seda France makes the best home scents. They literally last for DAYS. They cost $22.50 for 4ounces but it is well worth it for how long they last.
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by denstyle
    I always use roomspray on curtains, lampshades, upholstery...fabric holds the scent as opposed to just spraying in the air. *I am sure this isn't great for the fabrics, but it smells great.
    Curtains, lampshades, upholstery, carpets, etc are ok for spraying 'em with roomspray, specially if you can wash them. I never had troubles of stains with good quality roomsprays on fabrics 'cause... at least you can wash them off!

I know one approach that won't work...

A colleague mentioned my cologne one day (Guerlain Vetiver) and said he liked it. I decanted him a few ml's of the stuff into a spray bottle. He took it home and put it on the kitchen counter before going upstairs to play with his son. When he came back downstairs, his young daughter, who thought the bottle contained air freshener, had sprayed nearly all the contents into the air. (Oh, just 40 or 50 sprays, a la Rosbergs3 - that's all.)

My friend and his wife opened all their windows (it's winter here!), wiped down the kitchen, and mopped the floor. The next day the Guerlain still radiated plumes of vetiverian scent throughout their once happy home. The power of the fragrance had given them all headaches and he was afraid the houseplants might never recover. That's staying power, my friend. (Guerlain's new ad campaign? "You can't hose it off!&quot

Saying he didn't think he was ready for the world of fine fragrances, he returned the bottle. He smelled great, though.

If you like sweet but not overpowering fragrances, try L'Occitane's Candied Fruit room spray. It's wonderful, and they have an entire candied-fruit line.

If you want, you can make your own candles. Lots of sites sell oils that are made to imitate designer fragrances which you can use for whatever you want (making soap, candles, etc). I've never had experience with how good the rip off oils are, but if they are close to the real thing then it would be pretty cool to have a candle that smelled like that. Just another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Last fabulous room scent I've smelled recently is Farmafia SS. Annunziata CORTECCIA, a wonderful fresh and earthy smell of bark, like a walk though the woods after a spring rain.
    You think I might find that in Milano, Magnifiscent? What kind of shops sell that. Depmt. Stores, Drugstores. Perfumeria?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I usually burn patchouli or sandalwood inscense,one small store I knew used to sell an inscense imported from india,that was my favorite,wish I could find it again.
    like the glade hawaiin breeze.
    use halston catalyst sometimes.

Go to the dairy dept. grocery store and grab some ready to make cookies. A few minutes in the oven and your place smells good and you have cookies. ;D

I use EDTs and EDPs in a diffuser. L'artisan's Amber Extreme and Kiehl's Musk are WONDERFUL in it. I spray 4 or 5 sprays in a glass dish and then burn it for a few hours. It leaves a light and wonderful scent throughout my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    I use EDTs and EDPs in a diffuser. *L'artisan's Amber Extreme and Kiehl's Musk are WONDERFUL in it. *I spray 4 or 5 sprays in a glass dish and then burn it for a few hours. *It leaves a light and wonderful scent throughout my place. *

Hey Paul, is this the diffuser you built a few years ago? I was just thinking about making one or buying one. Do you burn a scentless candle under the dish? A diffuser sounds like the best way to go- plus it seems like a good way to give some use to my monstrous drobe.

A few years back when I had a really crappy little apartment, i found something that worked great. I'd take a paper towel and spray it about ten times with whatever frag i wanted to. Then i'd stick it up to the intake of my heating unit( I'd do this in winter). Then, within a minute, my place would smell great. UNFORTUNATELY I was told this wasn't very safe and probably a good way to burn the house down. I couldn't see how, but I stopped anyway.

At my place now, I just burn incense and candles. BTW, when you go to TJ MAXX and Marshalls, check out their candles. You can find alot of good heavily scented candles for cheap. A while back I got a nice Slatkin candle for five bucks.

I would like to get a diffuser though.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Magnifiscent link=1137127010/0#3 date=1137149712]Last fabulous room scent I've smelled recently is Farmafia SS. Annunziata CORTECCIA, a wonderful fresh and earthy smell of bark, like a walk though the woods after a spring rain.
    You think I might find that in Milano, Magnifiscent? What kind of shops sell that. Depmt. Stores, Drugstores. Perfumeria?
    [/quote]
    I found it in a dress shop in the town near my parents house, so about 50 km out of Milan. However I suppose there could be even shops that sell this stuff also downtown in Milan. I'll look for 'em to give you more info!