Code of Conduct

Default Eau des Iles and L'Eau de Navigateur

I am blessed. I now own one of, what was, the last 3 bottles of L'Eau de Navigateur in the US - and quite possibly the world. This one is a dream and a half - though it starts off really smoky and quite unlike I would want to smell like - it settles into lovely spices and woods(sandal ?). The coffee lasts forever - and as someone pointed out - it settles down into what could easily be the best cafe au lait smell in the world. And it stays on me for more than 12 hours. What a masterpiece!

I have heard that Eau d'Iles was Jean Laporte's attempt to re-imagine this classic in his new life. How similar is it ? The one time I recall trying it, it smelt nasty when it came out of the bottle - like dirt - dry dirty mud. I had to wash it off. I realise now that I should have probably waited longer to see what it turned out to be. Someone please guide me to what I should expect and look for in this one.

Thanks.

Default Re: Eau des Iles and L'Eau de Navigateur

Why would it be so rare? It's still listed on the official Artisan-website and two shops near me still carry it :-?

I tried to buy it in Zurich, but they refused to hand me that bottle. Because of carcinogenes all L'Eau du Navigateur bottles can't be sold anymore. They will be returned to L'Artisan Parfumeur, they said. [smiley=bath.gif]
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Strange... I'll visit one of the shops this afternoon and ask about this.

If anyone is in desperate need, I can send you a bottle since it's still on sale here, I presume :-/

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    Strange... I'll visit one of the shops this afternoon and ask about this.

If anyone is in desperate need, I can send you a bottle since it's still on sale here, I presume :-/
    I'm really curious about the results!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

dr. Creed, I just stopped by the store and they still sell it, without any remarks. It's only available in 100ml though.

So if anyone should be interested, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    I tried to buy it in Zurich, but they refused to hand me that bottle. Because of carcinogenes all L'Eau du Navigateur bottles can't be sold anymore. They will be returned to L'Artisan Parfumeur, they said. *[smiley=bath.gif]
    Really? What purported carcinogens?

Jeff

At the special event they held at the Barney's in Chicago, they (l'artisan) confirmed that this one was going to be discontinued. It will continue to retail till stocks run out. But they aren't making any more.

Has anybody heard different ?

It's definitely not being made any more. It's still on the l'Artisan website in the UK, and in some stores (Liberty has some). It will, undoubtedly, become rare quite soon. A shame - lovely smell but it turns evil on me. Perhaps it's the carcinogens.... (not that I know anything about this story).

Really? What purported carcinogens?
    http://www.greenpeace.fr/vigitox/pro...=4&pro=830 :P

Anybody here know about it's similarity to Eau des Iles, please ? I would really like to continue discussion on the similarities or lack thereof between these two puppies.

I'd like to know how similar they are too. I'm ready to spring for a bottle of L'Eau de Navigateur just because it's discontinued. But if Eau de Iles is similar or even better, then I could spare my credit card the agony.

Thanks, Doc! Didn't realise that there had been a discussion about this already.

Glad to see this fab convo on perhaps the most wonderful fragrance ever created - next to Route du Vetiver, of course

I was recently in Paris (august 2009), and found Eau du Navigateur with no difficulty at the Artisan Shop.

After the sale and the destruction of Matire Parfumeur et Gantier, it seems l'Artisan is where we simply must turn to find the vestiges of Jean LaPorte's genius...

Knowing this, glad I have a full large bottle!

Um, I'll delete my swap posting including Eau de Navigateur lol!

By the way, EdN is MUCH subtler than EdI. Actually, while I like a number of AP, I like NO MPG (tried, in sample form, many of them). I find the latter heavy, borderline obnoxious.