Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    Default Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Good Morning Everyone,

    Thinking about a purchase of Carolina Herrera for Men, after reading about it on the Night Out Scent Post. I have heard, in the past, that if you own Platinum Egoiste to save your money, since they are so close. Also heard it is very close to D&G PH.

    Can anyone familiar with this frag tell me if it is similar to these other two. I love the other two but do not want to purchase another one like them.

    Thanks,

    Jim

  2. #2
    teflondog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,340

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Many say that it's a stronger version of Paco XS but I don't think they're that similar. It lacks the peppery base of XS. Herrera is a rich citrus scent that may remind you of the topnotes of Platinum Egoiste and D&G PH, but I don't think it would be a duplicate purchase. If you want another fragrance along the same lines, then I would suggest Boucheron Pour Homme. (Test the Eau de Parfum version as it's a lot better than the toilette IMO.)


  3. #3
    RCavs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Salvador, Bahia
    Posts
    2,447

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Carolina is much deeper than D&G!
    Keep in mind it has strong notes of ginger and clove. It's a powerhouse scent! In my humble opinion It's a more formal than casual fragrance.
    I don't see any similarity between this one and Paco XS. I think Paco is sweet and spicy and I don't notice any sweet note in Herrera.
    Currently wearing: Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

  4. #4

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Thanks teflon,

    Will go test this one today. Just did not want to make a similar purchase to the other two. Have a great day.

    Jim

  5. #5

    wicozani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Beautiful Black Hills!
    Posts
    2,492

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Despite their close positioning in the "fresh fougere" region on the H&R Genealogy, I really don't see any similarities between Herrera for Men and D&G PH, the latter simply nowhere near spicy/gingery enough. I think that Tea for Two bears much more in common with Herrera for Men, as does Essenza di Zegna. Heck, even Cartier's Must & Pasha Pour Hommes (+ Essence version) are in the same general olfactory ballpark as Herrera for Men, along withTuscany and Biagiotti Uomo.

    Jeff

  6. #6

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Well i have always thought that Herrera FM was very unique ...and many others just don't smell even similar to me...why don't you try the limited editions of herrera FM wich are "similar" but have just a different take on it?, one has more ginger and the other has more vetiver i believe...

  7. #7

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men


    There are actually two other versions of this scent:
    - One with more added ginger, appropriately called: Herrera For Men Refreshing Ginger
    - One with more vetiver: Herrera For Men Sensual Vetiver

  8. #8

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    I have deliberately avoided the ginger and vetiver derivations of Herrera for men because they are limited editions.
    I'm still getting therapy after the discontinuation of Patou PH (my Holy Grail) and will not deliberately develop strong emotions for another fragrance I know will leave me...

    Damn... I need more therapy.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    I have deliberately avoided the ginger and vetiver derivations of Herrera for men because they are limited editions.
    I'm still getting therapy after the discontinuation of Patou PH (my Holy Grail) and will not deliberately develop strong emotions for another fragrance I know will leave me...

    Damn... I need more therapy.
    Imagine if a woman of your dreams was to offer herself to you for only one time. Would you dismiss her offer because you weren't going to be with her the second time?
    Seriously, don't let the limited edition, or discountiuned fragrances keep you from enjoying them. Half the fun is chasing after some of this stuff. *;D

  10. #10

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    If you can test Blind Date ( by Maeurer&Wirtz), you may see it as a very interesting copycat of Herrera. It`s like they were trying to carbon copied it, and failed for this very delicious fougere scent. I like them both.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Many, many years back I tried Herrera for Men...my initial thought was that it smelt like Romance for Men but with a little pepper....i always enjoyed the dry down, however never ventured a bottle. Its one I continue to sample every now and then....maybe i should just inherit a bottle.
    Have been curious about the limited editions though.....cant wait to sample them.
    Cheers
    Sarjeet

  12. #12

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan
    Good Morning Everyone,

    Thinking about a purchase of Carolina Herrera for Men, after reading about it on the Night Out Scent Post. *I have heard, in the past, *that if you own Platinum Egoiste to save your money, since they are so close. *Also heard it is very close to D&G PH.

    Can anyone familiar with this frag tell me if it is similar to these other two. *I love the other two but do not want to purchase another one like them.

    Thanks,

    Jim
    They are nothing siilar to my nose at all! Having said that, if you don't mind springing the bucks, go for Creed Neorli Sauvage which is much better. If you don't have the bucks, Carolina H. for Men is a great alternative! Go for it!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    A frag I just got, Joseph Abboud, reminds me of Herrerrerrrrra (oops). *It's the ginger. *Kind of a rare note in men's frags in my experience. *It's what links them together in my mind! * :



    On Gilligan's Island, Ginger was teh hawt.
    (Although my gf's name is MaryAnn!)
    : : : :

  14. #14

    Unhappy Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have deliberately avoided the ginger and vetiver derivations of Herrera for men because they are limited editions.
    I'm still getting therapy after the discontinuation of Patou PH (my Holy Grail) and will not deliberately develop strong emotions for another fragrance I know will leave me...

    Damn... I need more therapy.
    I can understand. I use to wear silkribbons perfume, and I have never found anything that comes close to that it was my favorite ever got tons of compliments on it

  15. #15

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by godzilla View Post
    Imagine if a woman of your dreams was to offer herself to you for only one time. Would you dismiss her offer because you weren't going to be with her the second time?
    Seriously, don't let the limited edition, or discountiuned fragrances keep you from enjoying them. Half the fun is chasing after some of this stuff. *;D
    If you have never had that one fragrance that was just meant for you then you don't understand.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Seconding especially Paco Rabanne XS and the aforementioned Cartier (some of whom, like Pasha and Declaration not just from the same decade but also fairly comparable in style and composition)

  17. #17

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    I hope they've found something by now (14 years later), lol. If not, I've always though vintage Ungaro III to be similar.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  18. #18

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    I hope they've found something by now (14 years later), lol. If not, I've always though vintage Ungaro III to be similar.
    Does Ungaro III have that metallic floral thing going on?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Does Ungaro III have that metallic floral thing going on?
    Not the vintage; it's been reformulated quite a bit from what I've heard. It's more of a dark, gothic rose, patchouli and woods with some vetiver and other notes. Probably more similar to Zino as Herrera is more cloves.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  20. #20

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Not the vintage; it's been reformulated quite a bit from what I've heard. It's more of a dark, gothic rose, patchouli and woods with some vetiver and other notes. Probably more similar to Zino as Herrera is more cloves.
    Then what similarity do you pick up between Ungaro III and Herrera for Men?

    To me, Herrera for Men is a metallic floral thing, ala Platinum Egoïste, with an herbal clove and tobacco drydown. Kind of an early freshie with a masculine throughline. I don't think of it as being Gothic or dark or heavy.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Then what similarity do you pick up between Ungaro III and Herrera for Men?

    To me, Herrera for Men is a metallic floral thing, ala Platinum Egoïste, with an herbal clove and tobacco drydown. Kind of an early freshie with a masculine throughline. I don't think of it as being Gothic or dark or heavy.
    I never really got a metallic floral thing with Herrera for Men, though I can see some similarities with PE. Herrera For Men and Ungaro Pour L'Homme III have a number of notes in common:

    Herrera For Men

    Top notes are rosemary, lavender, lemon and neroli;
    middle notes are cloves, clover and geranium;
    base notes are sandalwood, tobacco and ambergris.

    Ungaro Pour L'Homme III

    Top notes are orange, mahogany, coriander, lavender, vodka, sage and lemon;
    middle notes are jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium;
    base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, musk, oakmoss, vetiver and cedar.

    It's been ages since I've had both (probably around 2005) but I think these notes gave them a similar vibe if I'm remembering correctly. That's not to say they didn't have their differences - Herrera was definitely tobacco and cloves, but parts of them smelled similar.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

  22. #22
    Basenotes Junkie PaTomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Hoopeston, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    I have deliberately avoided the ginger and vetiver derivations of Herrera for men because they are limited editions.
    I'm still getting therapy after the discontinuation of Patou PH (my Holy Grail) and will not deliberately develop strong emotions for another fragrance I know will leave me...

    Damn... I need more therapy.
    No therapy needed. In my book, that means healthy mind and soul. I cannot buy Vintage and cannot buy soon to be defunct scents. Too heartbreaking. Calvin by Calvin and Lavin Avant Garde did to me what Gucci PH I did to many.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Sport by Prada

  23. #23
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    9,047

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by PaTomas View Post
    No therapy needed. In my book, that means healthy mind and soul. I cannot buy Vintage and cannot buy soon to be defunct scents. Too heartbreaking. Calvin by Calvin and Lavin Avant Garde did to me what Gucci PH I did to many.
    That post you replied to is 14 years old......
    My Top '11':

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

  24. #24
    Basenotes Junkie PaTomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Hoopeston, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    990

    Default Re: Similar to Carolina Herrera for Men

    Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    That post you replied to is 14 years old......
    Hilarious...we think everyone is conversing now
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Sport by Prada




Similar Threads

  1. DKNY Men = Chic by Carolina Herrera???
    By KiatBkk in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 8th November 2006, 09:19 AM
  2. On Carolina Herrera
    By jellybean1973 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st October 2006, 08:58 PM
  3. Carolina Herrera for Men Concentre
    By beastmccoy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27th January 2005, 02:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000