Code of Conduct

Default Newbie question, not in FAQ

I suppose if you REALLY stretch it, it'd go under a recommendation topic, but I am not asking for that. ;D

Great community btw not everyday you see a forum so civil.

anyway, here's my question to you cologne veterans out there:

How'd you settle on what suited you? I know the short answer to that is experiment and trial and error, but along the way, something or someone must've steered you towards that direction?

Trying to look for that answer right now. Granted I'm VERY new to this and I only have 2 scents in my possession right now (Romance silver and He), and a trip to Sephora today didn't yield much in terms of finding what I like. (tried M7, L'Eau par Kenzo and JV) I mean, I could tell you what I DON'T like about all 5 scents; but I'd be hardpressed to tell you what I like about em. (I could with some effort with romance, the rest would take some effort)

So how'd you guys do it, and how long did it take for you to found what you like? Is it purely personal peference? Or did female input come into play as well (I'd imagine this has a lot of weight in the equation)

thanks

Default Re: Newbie question, not in FAQ

That's a good (and valid) question!

A lot of the scents I love were actually "love at first sniff." These are scents that I took a strong liking to just because I liked the way they came across or how they developed on my skin. I know that may not be the kind of answer you're looking for, but it's the only one I can give. Like a favorite song....the first time you heard it, there was something that drew you in.......melodic hook, guitar tone, drum beat, singer's voice........whatever! It came across to your ears and you were drawn in. Scents have the same effect!

I admit, there are a few frags that took me some "acquaintance time," to kinda "get" a scent and understand it. Eventually liking it and being comfortable in it. But believe me........there's NOTHING like "love at first sniff!!"

Good Luck and remember......trust your nose!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Borbor
    ...I mean, I could tell you what I DON'T like about all 5 scents; but I'd be hardpressed to tell you what I like about em...
    Are you sure you're not an expert already? *
    You will find that being able to tell what you don't like about a particular fragrance is as important as knowing what you do like about it.
    It will definitely have a positive impact on your pocket book in that it will stop you from making unnecessary purchases.

Welcome aboard

I like taking time to fully enjoy the fragrance.

Like I say, the longer it takes to fall in love, the longer it takes to fall out of it.

I think love at first sniff or whatever is ok...

But i think the number one best way to find what you like (and to get into fragrances) is to just try A LOT of different fragrances. That way you get a good sense of what is out there, what smells like what, etc; you discover the full spectrum. By doing this you'll find what you really like and what is just "ok" but if you hadn't tried the other ones you would've really liked at first (ignorance is bliss). I also have found that by trying a vast amount of fragrances that my tastes have evolved and the more experienced you get by trying different fragrances, the more you notice little things that you normally wouldn't have.

Another piece of advice would be to try out al these different fragrances on different occasions and under variable circumstances. Experiment with a particular scent under different moods, in different seasons and wear it to different occasions. In the end, you will find the perfect combination for every scent you like. You may even come to love and scent you disliked, simply by using it under different conditions

Welcome to Basenotes

I usually judge a fragrance in three separate categories. I judge it first by how good it smells to me. I also judge it on how long it lasts and then how well it projects. It takes some time before you can properly assess these qualities. So what I usually do is go to the store, spray my wrist with a scent, and see how it wears throughout the day. I can usually tell whether it's a winner or loser by the time I get home. Sometimes you may have to test it more than once to confirm your decision.

That's how I first got started. Nowadays, nostalgia gets the best of me and I make rash decisions.

:

In my case, the best and only method to get to know which fragrances I like is:

-First filter: I give them a quick sniff by approching my nose to sprayer nozzle.

-Second filter: A test directly on my skin for several hours (wrists or back of the hands only- to be able to get whiffs of it repeatedly).

-Third filter: Give them two or three full wearings.

After that, only the ones that pass the first and second filters go normally to my wardrobe.

The ones that pass all three filters succesfully go straight to my top list on my wardrobe.
    8-)
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Borbor
    So how'd you guys do it, and how long did it take for you to found what you like? Is it purely personal peference? Or did female input come into play as well (I'd imagine this has a lot of weight in the equation)

thanks
    Boy, the same question could be sent to the howtofindmylover community And the answers will have just as much to do with the practice ahead of you, like the answers you would get here. Sniffing for about 20 years I dare say: sometimes you fall in love for the first minute, sometimes after years. Sometimes you will spend a lot for something you'll hate the very next day for a lifetime.
    What matters is that don't become a prisoner of your hobby. If you take it as a joy which makes your life fuller, then you'll find your beloved scents without any advice - just like in love

Goood luck on the road!