Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Best Sandalwood

The followings are my personal (therefore, very subjective and biased) reviews of sandalwood-themed fragrances in plain words (I haven't learned many sophiscated fragrance terms yet!). Please excuse me for some misspellings. It's either my Microsoft Word did not pick them up or it's simply because English is not my native language!

Update: The more sandalwood fragrances I sniff, the more I realize how little I know about sandalwood. Considering all the responsibility of writing fragrance reviews even though it's personal reviews, I will constantly keep revising the already-existing reviews as well as just adding new fragrance at the bottom. I will also correct all the misspelling and typos, but I would appreciate your understanding that English is not my primary language...

*[ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]#[ch12288][ch12288][ch12288] : "Go away!"
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]# #[ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]: "Unremarkable!"
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]# # # * * : "Pleasant!"
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]# # # # * *: "Great fragrance!"
    [ch12288][ch12288]# # # # # * : "Perfect scent!"

Santal (L'Artisan) [ch12288]# #

"Sandalwood - The sacred wood is excellent for the sandalwood of Mysore and all its splendour.
    Distinguishing feature: spicy coolness…
    Family : woody floral spicy
    Blend : sandalwood, nutmeg, sage" *
    *(from http://www.artisanparfumeur.com)

It smells simply "citrusy". I'm one of those old-fashioned people who believe that citrus and sandalwood never get along with each other. Sandalwood adds some metalic bitterness to the fresh citrus. And just because both citrus and sandalwood are very commonly used, this combination inevitably ends up smelling generic unisex. It's almost equivalent to the combination of lavender and oakmoss, which, with whatever microscoipic difference added, would smell "generic mens cologne". This phenomenon actually is not annoyingly obvious in this fragrance but is there. Making it worse than that, sandalwood is not prominent enough to reveal its beauty It starts out smelling freshly citrus, reminding you of the lemon-ish sharpness of Eau d'Hadrien. The subtle sandalwood base makes this lemonish accord covered with metalic bitterness (i.e. Lemon Pledge). You patiently wait for sandalwood, but the more you wait, the more note of what appears to be vetiver comes up (correct me if I wrong). You may be able to find sandalwood somewhere in its base if you keep snifing, but I don't think it's the main ingredient of this fragrance. Sandalwood "effectively" alters the other ingredients, but it never stands out on its own.

Santal Imperial (Creed) *# #

"Santal Imperial - Mysore sandalwood, tonka bean & ambergris. (year; 1850) "
    * (from *http://www.parfumsraffy.com)

Very creeeeeeed-ish. I used to be crazy for citrus colognes (triggered by the beauty of FM Bigarade Cologne) and bought a small decant of Citrus Bigarrade (Creed). I was expecting something similar to FM Bigarade. The sharp citrus top was refreshing at best and I was not impressed by it at all. But after this top dissipated, the "creedish note" creeped up. The gentle yet very persistent (almost like tinnitus or buzzy noises in the ears). I'm not exactly sure but it must be something to with the neroli they use[ch65292]because of all the Creed frgrances I have sniffed, it was most prominent in Neroli Sauvage. You can find it universally in almost all the major Creed fragrances such as Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial. Well, Santal Imperial is not an exception. There should be sandalwood somewhere in its base. But the "creedish note" is so prominent that *you feel as if the word "Santal" might just mean "something woody added somewhere". I'm not a big Creed fan, and this is definitely unremarkable fragrance from the sandalwood standpoint.

Sandalo (Lorenzo Villoresi) [ch12288]# # # #

"Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi - supremely sublime sandalwood. From the ancient Indian tradition, this * *
    knockout begins with a zingy spritz of citrus, rose, and lavender which morphs languidly in true Villoresi
    fashion into a mellow pillow of labdanum, more rose and the beginnings of Mysore sandalwood. Once you've
    decided it can't get any better it segues yet again into a rustic, rough-hewn, almost unbearably rich base of
    sandal of Mysore and arboreal sap, aided and abetted by opoponax, vetiver, guiacwood, oakmoss, and *
    amber. Stunning?? Yes, indeedy. Equally so, for men and women alike.

Top note: Brazilian Rosewood, Australian Lavender, Sicilian Petit Grain, Orange, Lemon
    Heart note: Labdanum, Bulgarian rose, Sicilian Neroli, Sandalwood
    Base note: Sandalwood, Indonesian Vetiver Root, Amber, Opoponax, Oakmoss, Tibetan Musk"
    * (from * http://www.lusciouscargo.com)

According to some aromatherapy websites I came across, the combination of rosewood and sandalwood is one of most commonly used blend for meditation and something spiritual. To my nose, Tam Dao and LV Sandalo are the two masterpieces where this "spiritual blend" is used effectively. Rosewood adds spiritual height to the beautifully creamy Mysore sandalwood. Rose adds natural sweetness, and because of the gorgeous sweetness, it does not smell black-and-white Asian Buddhistic like Tam Dao. It's rich, exotic and gorgeous. It rather takes you somewhere out there in the Mid Eastern direction. A must try for sandalwood-lovers.

Santal Noble (MPG) [ch12288]# # # # #

"It is all the delicate feel of the wood which on the skin takes the body odor of each one. Linked to amber, it is the perfume of seduction.

Family: wood
    Translation: noble sandalwood
    Pronunciation: santal nawbl
    Ingredients: sandalwood, vetiver, precious woods, coffee"
    * *(from http://www.beautycafe.com)

There are some fragrances which make you go back and forth between love and hate over and over again. Santal Noble and Santal de Mysore (SL) are truly thw two sandalwood masterpieces which make you have this love/heate pendulum-like movement. Interestingly. the top appears to be almost fecal-smelling mixture of coarse cedarwood (very lumber-ish and cedar-chest-ish) and syrupy amber. Very strong initially and almost repulsive at times. And then gorgeous sandalwood eventually starts to creep up through the ceiling of cedarwood and amber. The drydown is relatively sandalwood-dominant with remnant amber and cedarwood. This drydown is just heavenly and it's definitely something you can die for! In my experience, the strong top made me say, "I cannnot stand this!" a couple times before I reach the point where I keep sniffing the beautiful drydown on my skin and say "It's a sandalwood heaven! I just cannot live without it!". *

Tam Dao (Duptyque)[ch12288]# # # # #

"The newest edition to the Diptyque fragrance line, the rare and coveted Orinental Goa Sandalwood is used in
    this smooth, bewitching and sensous scent."
    *(from *http://www.bigelowchemists.com)

Very sharp and kind of bitter cypress is very prominent in its top. It's a bit annoying to my nose at this stage, but it eventually calms down. And, to my nose, what appears to be a combination of cumin and rosewood/sandalwood gradually comes up. Cumin is very subtle, but steadily produces sensual waves on the skin. The sandalwood is not white-creamy like most sandalwood fragranes. Instead, it's more transparent and somewhat incensy (again, to my nose) to the point that you wonder if they're using smokey Australian sandalwood (as opposed to "Goa sandalwood" as they claim). In combination with rosewood, smells as if you were meditating surrounded by Asian incense smokes in a Buddhistic temple. If Trumper's Sandalwood is in a rainbow-color, Tam Dao is simply in black-and-white. First-class sandalwood masterpiece which provides spiritual awareness.

10 Corso Como # #

"10 Corso Como is exotic sensuality, the meeting of the arcane and the new. It's a clean, warm sandalwood
    with a touch of churchy frankincense and an ingredient so expensive, so precious, so rare that we dare not *
    speak its name but once. This is not your local headshop's version of sandalwood, so forget about multi-
    colored dancing bears and hookahs; 10 Corso Como's mystery is rooted in one of the most ancient of all
    incenses, yet it remains light on the skin, exuding a scent both delicate and intensely spiritual. Without a
    single ad campaign, 10 Corso Como has attracted so many crazed worshippers in Europe that some buy the
    bottles by the dozen. Impossible to find through any US website, we've managed to acquire a limited number
    of this haunting elixir. Welcome to paradise. Corso Como (Large) notes : sandalwood, frankincense, musk, *
    rose, geranium, vetiver and rare Malay oud wood oil " (from http://www.luckyscent.com ) *

This one is very similar to Tam Dao in terms of the sandalwood part. But its top note is plum. It's kind of like the ripe plums you get from Femme (Rochas). But very ripe to the point that it smells like "mature femininity" and makes you feel like a middle-aged woman or something (no offense to middle-aged women, though). Some women may pull this off nicely. But I personally find it hard for me to wear.....

Sandalo (Etro) [ch12288]# # #

"A warm, Far East blend of exotic woods with touches of amber and musk. Fresh-flowery top notes, woody
    middle notes, and ambered-musky base notes."
    (from *http://www.escentual.co.uk)

It's a great sandalwood fragrance. But just because it's of eau-de-cologne concentration, it appears to be lighter than most sandalwood fragrances. In addition, the sandalwood per se is very transparent and ethereal (not creamy). Personally, I just don't like myrrhe used in it. Myrrhe, to my nose, almost smells a bit like fungal infection between toes (sorry for a bad metaphor). Apologize to those who love this cologne, but it's not for me.....

Santal Blanc (Serge Lutens)[ch12288] # #

"It is from the very organic concept of skin that Serge Lutens foresaw the fragrance come to life. Like skin,
    Santal Blanc is silky soft, tactile and comfortable. Its very essence is revelaed through cinnamon, fenugreek
    and rich resins of benzoin and copaiba balsam. Orris root gives the fragrance its soothing softness, which
    smoulders gently by the addition of musc. Rose and jasmine give it its flowery touch, while pink pepper seals
    and awakens the fragrance, giving it its irresistible presence. The perfect alchemy of a dream. Santal Blanc."

(from *http://www.escentual.co.uk)

Is it benzoin? I have no idea, but it smells very sweet, creamy and milky to the point it feels "sticky". It reminds me of one of those sweet Keiko Mecheri fragrances. I can detect sandalwood in it, but I don't think it's the mysore sandalwood that is giving off this nauseatingly sweet milky stickiness. Is there musk as well? Something else feminine is also dominant there and it gives a powedery quality to it. No. Not for me...

Sandalwood (The Art of Shaving) [ch12288]# # # #

"With essential oils from the finest sandalwood trees in Mysore, India, The Art of Shaving creates a timelessly
    exotic fragrance. The custom blend of sandalwood and pure essential oils is sweetly spicy, lightly *
    herbaceous, with a woody undertone that is both calming and sensual. Naturally free of synthetic oils and *
    fragrances.

Top note: Eucalyptus
    Heart notes: Jasmine, fur needle
    Base notes: Sandalwood, patchouli, myrrh"

* (from *http://www.eluxury.com)

It's very pleasantly transparent sandalwood in the base. Not creamy at all. What makes this fragrance special is its medicinal quality. It does not have any bergamot or lavender, therefore it does not smell like "generic after-shave lotion" medicinal at all. In stead medicinal-smelling eucalyptus and balsamic fur needles in the top and middle stab you in a cool way to the point that you feel as if it would clear up not only your sinus but also your mind. On the other hand, the transparent sandalwood in its base are very calming and peaceful. The only thing I cannot stand is myrrhe. My nose is a very sensitive myrrhe detector and whenever I apply this cologne on my skin, my nose activates, "Myrrhe Alert" in my brain. It's just a personal preference, but I just cannot stand the combination of sandalwood and myrrhe, the latter of which makes the former smelling like "sandalwood with mold growing on it".

Sandalwood (Trumper) *# # # #

"A high quality cologne to uphold Trumper's traditions of excellence. Sandalwood is a very rare and precious
    perfume and its popularity has caused many sustitutes and inferior preparations to be produced. The
    Sandalwood oil used by Trumpers is only of the very highest quality and originates from the mountainous
    Mysore region of India, the centre of the world Sandalwood production. "
    * (from *http://www.gentlemans-shop.com)

I would say this is one of the most multi-layered sandalwood fragrances. In the end (4-5 hours) the beautiful creamy sandalwood shows up. But you have to go though a very crowded olfactory street before reaching the sandalwood square. To my nose, the top to middle notes smell almost as rich, complex and elegant as Coco or Bois des Iles (Chanel). If Tam Dao were black-and-white, LV Sandalo were dark brown, AoF Sandalwood were moss-green in color, Trumper's Sandalwood would be raibow-color. It smells loaded with fragrance ingredients. Rich and gorgeous.

Santal (Floris) [ch12288] # #

"Featuring new innovative grooming and skincare products. With notes of Sicilian Bergamot, Provencal
    lavender, green grasses and crushed peppercorns combine with rich wood notes. "
    * *(from http://www.florislondon.com)

I may be wrong. But I just cannot find any sandalwood I know of in this fragrance. There're lavender and a lot of masculine woods. Or is this what they call Australian sandalwood? Very bold and pleasantly masculine scent. It's obviously going for the Santuary Pour Homme (Sonoma) direction...

Sandalwood (Floris) *# # # #

"Warm, Sensual and Undeniably Enchanting - Oil from Mysore in India is blended with warm touches of musk & amber. A hint of bergamot and jasmine help to balance this 'exotic woody' fragrance. *"
    * * (from http://www.florislondon.com)

When you first apply on your skin, you're just surprised because you don't smell a thing. No cheerful citrus. No feminine flowers. No dry woods. All you smell is 99% alcohol and 1% something very subtle. This subtleness gradually evolves into a fully-blooming sandalwood on your skin. It's very soft, transparent yet perfectly creamy sandalwood. In my opinion, this is a textbook sandalwood fragrance. You almost feel as if they (Floris) had chosen not to add anything else so that we can enjoy the sandalwood fully. If I were asked to recommend a straight-forward sandalwood fragrance which smells closest to essence oil, Floris Sandalwood would be definitely by far at the top of my recommendation list. It does not shout or yell, but keeps whispering on your skin and you can enjoy the pure beauty of sandalwood without any unnecessary additives like citrus, greens, amber or other woods confusing you.

Le Roi Santal (Comptoir Sud Pacifique) [ch12288]# # #

"This truly is a kingly sandalwood fragrance, balancing the legendary scent of sandalwood on a soft cedar.
    The warm sweetness of cabreuva wood brings a unique and mysterious edge...it brings to mind tanned skin
    and forests full of sunlit groves. Iris moves in and out, contributing a soft and velvety powder to the woods
    and creating one of the most unique fragrances in the entire line. A radical departure from the gourmand and
    sweet feel of many of the CSPs, it's proof that it doesn't have to be edible to be fabulous.
    Le Roi Santal notes:iris, cabreuva wood, cedar, sandalwood"
    * *(from *http://www.luckyscent.com)

Actually, it's......beautiful (sorry, I cannot find a better adjective, because it's truly beautiful). "Le Roi Santal" means "the King of Sandalwood", right? I don't get anything to do with "King" here (no boldness or masculinity). The top is very soft and gentle. I can smell a touch of iris and..... something else there. I think I've smelled the same thing in the top note of Sandalwood (Floris). Very soft, whitish, and kind of floral-woody. Their description of the notes on the web includes something called Cabreuva. Is it what this is? It's a very comforting thing. At this point, I might like to call this "La Fleurs de Santal" (Sorry, they don't teach us French in Japan....). It's that "doux". And then, very clear and transparent, yet mildly creamy sandalwood comes up. Again, this reminds me of Sandalwood (Floris). If you like Coco-goegeous rich and creamy sandalwood, nothing beats Trumper's Sandalwood. But if you're looking for positively one-dimentional, clear, soft, gentle and transparent sandalwood, you might like to try Sandalwood (Floris) and Le Roi Santal (CSP), which does not yell or shout, but whisper on your skin...

Sandalwood Vert (Fresh) [ch12288]# # #

"wandering through a fall forest of sheer woods...
    top: juniper berries, Indian santal, armoise
    heart: Italian bergamot, cypress, sheer verbena, green leaf
    base: oakmoss, rosewood, amber "
    * *(from http://www.fresh.com)

The name "Vert" pretty much explains its top note. Sharp and crisp green leaves are freshened by bergamot and lemon verbena. Very refreshing and it reminds me of L'Artisan's Santal, but this one is more green than citrusy. Eventually this top partially dissipates and without any prominent middle core, it dries down to an gentle vanilla-woody scent. Pleasantly creamy sandalwood stays on your skin, but the green note still lingers and keeps sandalwood smelling crisp and clean, as opposed to sensual or exotic. Also, rosewood is noticeable to my nose as much. Eventually, all you smell in creamy vanilla on your skin. Very "pleasant" unisex fragrance, but that's pretty much it.... *

Sandalsilver (Montale) [ch12288]# # #

"Composition: Bergamotte, Agrumes de Sicile, Santal de Mysore, Epices"
    * (from *http://www.parfums-montale.com) *

I obtained some Montale samples from Aedes. One of them was this fragrance called Sandalsilver. To a sandalwood-lover, it's a kind of interesting name, isn't it? Well, believe it or now, it's not bad at all. If you like Trumper's Sandalwood, you'll like ths one, as well. To my nose, Trumper's Sandalwood is so multi-layered that it almost reminds me of Coco (Chanel) every now and then. It's that elegant sandalwood fragrance. This sandalsilver shares the same rich and creamy sandalwood, but has a subtle, but steady and deep incense-smokiness *and licorice-sweetness to it, and it definitely smells masculine. If you're looking for a kind of masculine and less extravagant *interpretation of Trumper's Sandalwood, I recommend sniffing it, at least. You might ike it.

Bois de Santal (Keiko Mecheri) [ch12288]# #

"Keiko Mecheri's Bois de Santal *- A sandalwood for the ages. And the ageless. "
    * (from *http://www.lusciouscargo.com)

I don't know why Keiko named this "Bois de Santal" because this scent may as well be called "Fleurs de Osmanthus". Instead, her "Fleurs de Osmanthus" has a very strong note of white-datura, tuberose and ylang ylang, and osmanthus is completely lost in it! Anyway, this "Bois de Santal" starts out with a beautiful Chinese (white) osmanthus. Very soft and elegant top. And then, pretty quickly what appears to be some kind of woods (is this sandalwood?) comes up. Assuming this is sandalwood (after all, that's the name of this fragrane), this "sandalwood" has not transparency or creamy richness at all. Maybe the combination of white osmanthus and "sandalwood" is not a good choice qualtitatively? Or the proportions of mixture are not optimal quantitatively? All this "sandalwood" dose is adding artificial woodiness. Because of this, overall impression of this fragrance is "osmanthus blossoms made out of chemicals".

Santal Blanc (Madini) * # # # #

"The highest grade of a time-honored classic - nothing mor, nothing less. As cool and fragrant as the breeze
    from a Chinese sandawlood fan."
    (from *http://www.madini.com)

I obtained some samples from their website. Besides, Santal Blanc (I also received a small sample of Agarwood, Oud, Madera de Oriente, and Bouquet). I know it's not a cologne, but it's worth being mentioned here, because their Santal Blanc smells just amazing! It's almost shockingly beautiful. I have to admit that all the sandalwood oil I had experienced before Santal Balnc was just Body Shop. To my nose, Body Shop sandalwood oil was pleasant enough, and I actually had thought it was the standard sandalwood..... until I sniffed Santal Blanc. Well, I've not sniffed Attar Bazaar's Mysore Sandalwood oil, or any other commercially available sandalwood oils yet, and my experience with oils is quite limited, but Santal Blanc truly changed my basic understanding of what sandalwood is supposed to smell like. It has typical transparent and smoothly creamy quality to it, but it's not just that, but also is mesmerizingly naturally oriental on its own. Trumper's Sandalwood smells kind of multi-layered and reminds me of the word "oriental", but it keeps smelling very "perfume-ish" like Coco (Chanel). But this Santal Blanc, it actually reminds me of Bal à Versailles (Jean Desprez) without sweet roses. Naturally earthy, resinous, creamy, and transparent. Very gorgeous and irresistible. It's just perfectly perfect. Again, strictly speaking, it's not a fragrance, but I thought I should mention...

Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens) [ch12288]# # # # #

"Mysore sandalwood, cumin, spices, styrax balsam, caramerilized Siamese benzoin"
    ( from http://freespace.virgin.net/lovely.p...positions.html)

First of all, living in US, this one is just hard to obtain! I don't know why SL has to set up this Exclusive/Export boundaries...... Anyway, some people may disagree, but I just cannot help noticing the striking similarity between Santal de Mysore and Arabie. One is in the Exclusive range and the other, Export range..... Anyway, to my nose, both have this vanilla-coconut sweetness. Very delicious smell to the point that it makes you feel like eating coconut fran or some kind of sweet desert. As opposed to Arabie's "dry-fruitiness", Sandal de Mysore appears to be more caramelized, and it reminds me of Creme Brulee, which is by far my favorite desert.[ch12288]Yummmmm! [ch65288]On the other hand. Arabie is a tad more fruity and the dry-down has some dry fruits. But again, both have the same deliciously sweet core[ch65289]. Sandalwood is there. Rich creamy sandalwood appears to be beautifully covered with this delicious caramelized-vanila-coconut syrup. I love it. It's something you love to have on your skin on cold winter days. I would say this is something you'd like to try sometime if you've already found the beauty of Santal Noble. These are two different sandalwood scents; one is cedar-amber-(coffee?)-syrupy and the other caramelized-vanila-coconut syrupy. But both are just intoxicating and addictive. You end up going back and forth between "I can't stand it!" and "I cannot live without it!" like a pendulum. It's a hard-to-find fragrance, but you have to sniff it. Be careful, though. It's addictive...

Sandalo (Santa Maria Novella) *# #

"An oriental, woody and persistent perfume."
    *(from http://www.aedes.com)

Verrrrry medicinal, but not in a pleasant The-Art-of-Shaving-Sandalwood way. After applying on your skin, you start to get this bizarre mixture of citrus, cinnamon, cloves, vetiver and some black peppers. Especially cloves are very strong and smells like a kind of oral hygiene products (toothpaste?). Probably, sandalwoods are somewhere in there, but not obvious. Eventually, it settles downs into a generic woody dry-down which has a hint of creamy sandalwood. Not a great choice if you're looking for a sandalwood-themed fragance because chances are you will have tough time finding any until the very last drydown. On the other hand, if you like Listerine, you might like this....

Sandalwood (Caswell-Massey)[ch12288][ch12288]# # #

"The sumptuous gardens of Maharajahs and Maharanis are fragranced by the rare sandalwood tree. The scent
    is as intriguing as India itself, and equally suited to men and women. Rich sandalwood fragrance is known for
    its long lasting scent.
    Fragrance Family: Spicy, Woody.
    Fragrance Note(s): Sandalwood (single note)"
    ( from http://www.caswellmassey.com )

Have you ever tried a cologne called "Orange Petitgrain and Sandalwood" (L'Aromarine)? It's leterally *afragrance made up of bitter orange and sandalwood. But just because they're just mixed, but not coordinated well, it appears the earthy resinous sandalwood ruins the freshness of bitter orange top. Is smells as if you just dropped freshly-peeled oranges into dirty sands by mistake, but you still picked them up and tried to eat it. In other words, the orange smells very unpleasantly metalic. Same thing appears to be hapenning here. The top is a pure lemon (Sicilian?). But because of the sandalwood in the base, this lemon smells more metalic-bitter than citrusy-fresh. You have to wait about 30 minutes until this Lemon Pledge accord disappers. The middle into the last notes consists of bare sandalwood. You can find the same earthy, resinous, balsamic, creamy and transparent sandalwood you can find in sandalwood essence oils. Actually very pleasant and quite beautiful sandalwood. It's just I cannot stand the top note It's just I cannot stand the top note....

Tricorn (Caswell-Massey) [ch12288]# # #

"A favorite of John Barrymore and Cole Porter. Why have sophisticated men like these found Tricorn to their
    liking? Perhaps it's the subtlety of Tricorn's top note of prized Bangalore sandalwood.
    Fragrance Family: Herbal, Spicy.
    Fragrance Note(s): Sandalwood (single note)"
    ( from http://www.caswellmassey.com )

I have no idea what Bangalore sandalwood is supposed to smell like. I did some research but all I could get was something like , "Bangalore is a city in India and called the Silicon Valley of India and is famous for sandalwood with its mellow scent... " Mellow? Well, first of all, it's very sweet. Not vanila-sweet or rose-sweet, but amber-sweet. And there's this spicy and medicinal quaility to it. Earthy?..... maybe a bit. Resinous?..... maybe a bit. Balsamic....probably so. Again, my nose does not know what Bangalore sandalwood should smell like and therefore it cannot pinpoint it. It's a very interesting sweet-spicy-medicinal fragrance, almost reminding me of Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens), but from a sandalwood standpoint, I don't know......you might like to give it a try to see if you can find sandalwood, but I was not impressed.

Sandalo (Byblos) *# # #

"Elegant, luxurious and sophisticated, Byblos Sandalo was introduced in 2002. This sensational fragrance is a blend of mossy and woody aromas. Byblos Sandalo is recommended for a romantic evening"
    (from http://www.sbox-mall.com)

I bought a bottle on ebay because they don't carry this on standard fragrance websites any more. Considering this unpopularity, I have to say that it's actually a very pleasant woody fragrance.[ch12288]Very simple combination of fir needles, cedarwood and sandalwood. The combination of fir needles and sandalwood reminds me of Sandalwood Cologne (The Art of Shaving), but it lacks the medicinal-smelling eucalyptus. Cedarwood addes thickness and boldness to the scent to the point it seems to create the "The Body Shop Woody Sandalwood Perfume Oil" accord. Overall impression is a pleasantly masculine woody fragrance. For those who love Sandalwood (The Art of Shaving) but cannot stand the medicinal eucalyptus top, you may actually fall in love with this one. Or for those who like The Body Shop Sandalwood Perfume Oil, but are looking for some milder version of it, you might like to give this cologne a try.

Santal (L'Orientaliste) *#

"Sensual and wam sandalwood"
    * *(from *http://www.beautyhabit.com )

If I tried to be more objective, I could give two two stars, but sorry, I cannot stand this fragrance. Sandalwood is somewhere in there, maybe. There shouldn't be any argument about it. I may be able to detect erathy and resinous sandalwood, but...... Is L'Orientaliste a company in Morocco? No offense to Morocco, but they put agarwood (oud) in it! I understand some people are into these oud products from mid-Eastern or North African countries, but just to my Japanese nose, their agarwood is too smokey and too aldehydic. Not aldehydic like "aldehyde floral fragrance" but like formaldehyde. It simply reminds me of the fluid they use to perserve dead bodies for anatomy classes. This definitely smells like one of those Montale products, but sandalwood per se appears to be buried and soaked in the formaldehyde smell. I'm sorry again, but I just cannot get to like this.....

Santal (Ligne St. Barth) *[ch12288]# # #

"Powdery, warm and sophisticated. Notes of sandalwood, cinnamon, amber and musk."
    * *(from http://www.beautyhabit.com)

According to the description on their official website, it's supposed to be a simple combination of cinnamon and sandalwood. Well, the balsamic and creamy sandalwood is there. It's mildly mingled with some oriental base like amber as well. But what is this medicinal top? It's not "wow, my sinus is clear" eucalyptus-medicinal like Sandalwood (The Art of Shaving). It smells like the dentist's office. I'm an ER physician (believe me, physicians and dentists are two different occupations) and have no idea what they use at the dentists office, but it reminds me of the fillings they give us. Probably, a combination of cinnamon, iris and a touch of rose may be the suspect. But the problem is by the time this "dentist's smell" settles down (never dissipates, though), sandalwood also gets subtle. And all you have left isone of those typical "aldehydic floral fragrance" scents.

Santal Opoponax (Maison Berdoues) *# #

"The company Parfums Berdoues produces elegant, precious-French and delicate fragrances presented in
    their original 1936 bottle." *
    (from * http://www.cosmecointl.com/berdoues.htm)

I don't even know why I got this cologne. Maybe the name "Santal" caught my eyes. Sandalwood is there just like it's in most of the female fragrances. Nothing more than that. All I can smell is the powdery swettness of opoponax and amber. This one also goes towards the Ambre Sultan direction, but less spicy, less medicinal, much more shallow and much more powdery. Musk appears to add some feminine animalic base, too. I don't know what else to say....

Sandalwood (Susanne Lang) [ch12288]# #

"Days on the train now. Stopped by a river bank. I lay my cheek on the sill of the open window, so tired. The
    pungent scent of rich, fertile soil. A family sitting across from me. The little girl comes over, a shy smile, and *
    dabs my wrists and neck with oil from a small vial around her neck. The rich fragrance of sandalwood. *
    Perfect."
    (from http://www.beautycafe.com )

I have to ask myself one more time, "Why did I even get this cologne?". Again, maybe the name "Sandalwood" caught my attention..... This is simply a white-flowerish fragrance. Top is very fresh and clean. Then white flower notes (probably, lily and narciss) comes up in slightly feminine way. That's pretty much it. I have difficulty in finding sandalwood, though. It almost smells like what Samsara (Guerlain) would be without sandalwood. Again, very pleasant scent, remindning me of a word "fresh" or "clean". But from a sandalwood standpoint, all I can say is "why did they even name this Sandalwood?".

Santal *(Diptyque) *# # #

”Refresh any room with Diptyque's homesprays. Sandalwood. Deep, powdery, spicy yet soft.”[ch12288][ch12288][ch12288]
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288] * *[ch12288][ch12288][ch65288]from http://www.aedes.com )

Well, this is a roomspray. But as we I learned from Costes, I just had to give it a try. Especially, I'm one of the Tam Dao lovers and I just had to sniff it so that I can "move on". I'm not a specialist on different species of sandalwood. But since I read the description of Tam Dao on some perfume website, I was more than curious to find out what this Goa sandalwood was all about. Well, there's no guarantee that they're using the same sandalwood in this roomspray, but I purchased a bottle finally. I sprayed it on my wrist with an irresistible curiosity..... Very interesting. I think they're using the same sandalwood (so is this Goa Sandalwood?). But no sharp cypress, sweet rosewood or sensual cumin there. It's pretty much one-dimentional and straight-forward raw sandalwood in an almost eau-de-colgne concentration. But it's not creamy or transparent. Very dry, earthy and somewhat dark-smokey sandalwood. I actually kind of like it, but it does not take long before it fades away on your skin...... But, I tried spraying it on my desk lamp (after all it's supposed to be used as a roomspray, isn't it?). As I had some errands to take care of, I left my room and completely forgot spraying in my room. I came back in a hour or so and find my room smelling heavenly! No wonder it says "roomspray". it smells as if I had some sandalwood trees growing somewhere in my room. Very pleasantly woody with natual sweetness and creaminess. No Coco Chanel note there. No medicinal bitterness there. No citrus there. It's what I guess sandalwood tree barks would smell like naturally. It's amazing to see how differently fragrances smell on our skin vs on some non-human objects like a desk lamp. Well, my concusion would be "great!!! as a roomspray, but too dry and one-dimentional on our skin. I guess this must be the bare Goa sandalwood they also use for Tam Dao.....

Woody Sandalwood Perfume Oil (The Body Shop) * # # # #

”An ode to the Orient. Woody, spicy, and clean. You'll be asked what you're wearing....

Frangrance Notes:
    Top: Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Chypre, Clove
    Middle: Rose,
    Wood Base: Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Patchouli, Amber, Labdanum, Tonka, Musk, Balsams, Vanilla"

*(from *http://www.thebodyshop.com )

Pain of living in a boondock city of Ohio can be well descrbed as "We have no Body Shop (though we have Bath and Body Works) or Starbucks Coffee (though we have Tim Horton's)......" I'm one of those people who strongly believe The Body Shop creates good stuff. Sandalwood Perfume Oil is definitely one of their masterpieces. It's oil, but it's not a single note sandalwood. When you first apply onto your skin, you're just surprised by its dry woodiness especially if you'ere expecting something creamy and rich like Madini's Santal Blanc. It's probably the cedar and balsams mainly and some earthy/resinous aspect of the sandalwood also, I guess, but the top is not only dry but also very pleasantly masculine to the point it almost smells smokey. *This dry woodiness and bold smokiness eventually becomes mild and round. Then exotic sandalwood takes over. It becomes more and more deeply and transparently woody and feels as if it would take you to a different spiritual level. Just because it's oil, it stays on your skin all day, oil, it stays on your skin all day, and it just gets better and better on your skin.

Essential Oil Fragrance Sandalwood (Tipton Charles) [ch12288]# #

”Gorgeously fragrant yet never overpowering. Made from pure essential oils and essences. Scent your world: body, kitchen, bath, linens, pillows. Ideal for layering with Tipton Charles fragranced body lotions. Your total fragrance solution. ...."
    *(http://www.tiptoncharles.com)

Based on the name, "Esential Oil Fragrance", I was expecting some kind of bare and earthy sandalwood. Worng! It starts out with a combination of orange, licorice and vanilla, and it smells like a cheap artificially orange-flavored cremsicle. Very sticky sweet and reminds me of some generic fruity vanilla perfumes for women you can buy at WalMart or something you'd like to use as a car fragrance. Sandalwood should be somewhere in the drydown, but I had to wash it off because I started to develop headache....

Sandalwood (Crabtree&Evelyn) *# # #

”Our eau de toilette fragrance captures the essence of Sandalwood, prized as an aromatic in India for over 4,000 years.”
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch65288]http://www.crabtree-evelyn.com)

The top is lavender. The slightly medicinal, yet clean-smelling lavender is followed by dry, resinous and earthy sandalwood. But this sandawlood is buried in musk and oakmoss and therefore starts to smell like Royal Copenhagen Musk cologne in a sense. The more you wait, the more soapy it gets. Overall impression is a clean soapy sandalwood. This soapiness lasts quite long and very pleasant, but that's pretty much it.

Santal (Florascent) *#

”Decadent and aromatic, Santal is a luxurious trip down the famed Spice Road of India. It opens with a daring rush of spicy ginger and pimento at first, while Indian sandalwood quickly stakes its claim and stays for the duration. Rare davana, which is grown in the same region as sandalwood, gives Santal its bittersweet woody notes. The sweet, warm muskiness of ambergris rounds out this spiced concoction. Masculine, steamy and smoldering.
    Santal notes
    ginger, pimento, sandalwood, davana, ambergris ”
    [ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch12288][ch65288]http://www.luckyscent.com)

The top is supposed to be a combination of ginger and pimento. I have no idea what this pimento smells like. But the top smells like someone is pouring lemon juice onto birchwood lumber. Forcifully fresh, and kind of unpleasant, Eventually, this lemon-ish woody note changes into urine-like stinkiness. The dry-down is identical to the "bad breath" note you can find in Jicky. I don't know if there's anyone who like this fragrance....

Pick-Me-Up Cologne Spray Sandalwood (Demeter) # #

"Each Demeter scent is meticulously researched, designed and hand-blended in the classic European tradition, using synthetic and naturally occurring ingredients and botanical derivatives. Demeter captures the true essence of each scent. Whether it be Gin & Tonic, Leather or Angel Food, Demeter's technologically advanced fragrances allow you to scent the skin, as well as your personal space with scents that harken back to childhood memories."
    *(http://www.sephora.com)

For some reasons, Demeter Pick-Me-Up Spray Colognes series are very popular in my county (Japan). It may be because of the pirices. I used to have a Mango of this series and remember being disappointed by its too-ripe fermented mango scent. So, with quite a low expectation, yet with a holy mission of "looking for the ideal sandalwood for me", I purchased a 30ml bottle. There's a website called www.cosme.net. It's the largest fragrance review site, and you can see what people say about almost all the fragrances available (in Japan). On this website, most people say somethinglike "Pick-Up Sandalwood smells like pure sandalwood" and "It just reminds me of temples in my hometown!" These comments gave me an impression that this cologne may smell like Santuary Pour Homme (Sonoma) or Body Shop Perfume Oil Sandalwood. Well, I was wrong. It starts out smelling like some kind of unpleasant chemical. Some ink products used in oil-based markers. Where's the Buddhistic temple? I was lost all of a sudden. I waited, let's see, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. This "permanent marker" accord finally dissipated. Then finally, I could detect a hint of the dry down of Sandalo Room Spray (Diptyque). Very subtle, yet definitely dry sandalwood. As you can guess from this smell-alike, probably, this cologne can best be used as a room-spray, if on can tolerate the chemical top note.

La Contessa (Yosh) * # # #

"La Contessa is an exquisite blend of Parvati sandalwood, Arabian sandalwood, Oriental Kush, Night Queen, Cucumber, Vanilla and Bergamont. A Flamboyant Fragrance!!!! "

*(http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com)

I finally obtained a small oil sample of La Contessa. Nobody really told me about sandalwood in this expensive oil fragrance created by Yosh, the above description caught my eyes. Parvati Sandalwood? Arabian Sandalwood? I applied a small amount of the thick oil onto my wrist..... "Ambre Sultan? Tricorn?" Very, very amber-dominant top. Sort of spicey, but also incensy and smokey. And interestingly, you really can find a cucumber note on top of it. Cucumber per is not unpleasant, but I got lost here again because I could not find sandalwood! Well, when it comes to smelling fragrances, patience is a very important key. So, I waited about an hour. To my surprise, the amber note gradually changed into more powdery and coconuty note, reminding me of Coppertone products or The Body Shop Perfume Oil Coconut. I was almsot ready to fly to Austraila to enjoy sunbathing on the beach or something. I gave up at this point, forgot about applying La Contessa on my wrist and went to work. Probably, it was about 2-3 hours after application, I think, I started to notice something sandalwoody on my wrist. It's very oudh-ish sandalwood. Sort of a very rosey and sweet sandalwood you can find in some Montale products. Oh, this must be the Arabian Sandalwood! It was a pleasant surprise, but I personally prefer Goa or Mysore Sandawood, and considering the price, I would not purchase a full bottle...

Sandalwood (Elizabeth Arden) * # # #

"Sandalwood by Elizabeth Arden has top notes of Lavender, Bergamot, Clary Sage, and Lemon. It has middle notes of Geranium, Sandal, Basil, Cedarwood, Patchouli, and Vetiver. Sandalwood cologne has base notes of Treemoss, Amber, Musk, Opopanax, Labdanum, and Tonka. "

Wow. Most of the sandalwood fragrances I had sniffed smelled pretty much unisex (except some including Crabtree&Evelyn's Sandalwood and Sonoma's Sanctuary Pour Homme). But this one is definitely men's sandalwood. The top starts out with a bit generic-masculine-fresh "men's eau-de-cologne" accord of lavender and bergamot. No tobacco like Crabtree&Evelyn, though. Then eventually, dry sandalwood comes up. It does not smell creamy rich like a mysore sandalwood. Is it Australian, maybe? Very dry sandalwood is there. Anyway, this sandalwood becomes drier and more earthy when patchouli note eventually joins. Vetiver adds some harshness dryness to it, too. If you're looking for a masculine interpretation of sandalwood, this may be something you might like to try. More "Egoistic" than Chanel's Egoiste, in my opinion.

The following two reviews belong to SANDALWOOD (one of the Basenotes Supermembers). Let me attach them here because I've never smelled these and his reviews are way of higher quality than mine!

Sandalo Speziali Fiorentini

It's a raw sandalwood scent. It starts out with a sharp alcohol and turpentine-like note. After a while, it soothes and settles down a bit; a strong and creamy sandalwood scent -spotted with some vetiver- *starts to develop. As time passes, that strong note recedes and after 45 minutes or so, the dry down leaves a persistent, vivacious, oily, resinous sandalwood note. It is the closest to raw sandalwood oil I have ever smelled. Sharp and raw, as opposed to the more refined and elegant sandalwood based fragrances available in the market. I don't know, but I like this one a lot and wear it quite often. It is an EDP but it lasts on me only 5 or 6 hours. Not expensive indeed for an EDP (35 USD for 50 ml)

Sandalwood Le Jardin Retrouvé

Much more refined than the one above mentioned. *Sharp alcohol the first 5 seconds but it settles down immediately. I get some lavender on the top notes and a little vetiver as well. The sandalwood (and what appears to be some cedar) starts to warm the air. There is also a spicy trace in the middle notes, very subtle though. At the dry down, lingers a woody accord with that same sandalwood note of the beginning among some amber mingled with another ingredient that I can not identify. This one stays very close to my skin for 7 or 8 hours. It is a quality artisanal fragrance. I wish it only had more projection.

The following review belongs to moondeva (one of the Basenotes Members). Let me attach them here because I've never smelled this cologne!

Yardley Sandalwood Eau de Toilette - Since 1770, Yardley of London has been using only the finest ingredients to create its quality fragrances, devoting to each product all the care and expertise acquired from its 200 year heritage. this distinctive eau de toilette is a sophisticated composition combining fresh floral scents (Bergamot, Lavender, Geranium and Lime) with a woody floral heart (Sandalwood, Rose) and a warm spicy base (Cedarwood, Patchouli, Benzoin and Musk)

The initial character of the fragrance is quite fougere, clear & aromatic. I enjoy wearing this scent in the spring & summer as it is very fresh yet unique among the usually citrus / florals most others wear. The sandalwood itself in this scent is very sensual, smooth, smoky & woody due to the longlasting base notes making this scent perfect for any occasion. *It is / was a unisex scent which morphs into something amazing on the skin which above all quietly stated power & confidence. It is exceptional and everything that Crabtree & Evelyn's 'stale ashtray' tobacco riddled Sandalwood dreamnt it could be. *

On myself it was sensual, conveyed strength and self possession whilst still complimenting my femininity. A more conventional, girly friend has stopped dead in her tracks several times (when meeting me) and asked what I am wearing. She says that it smells *classy but extremely sexy to her, it also calls to mind discreet wealth. If I was a man and available, apparently it would have been my lucky day!! * As it is she has to satisfy herself with just enjoying the scent of this wonderfully charismatic & sensual scent.

Unfortunately I have heard that this amazing scent has been discontinued, and I have been finding it nearly impossible to find locally or online. * *So now I am desperately seeking a worthy replacement (may be a touch more 'feminine') and ekeing out the last I have. If anyone knows of a stockist in the UK or online please let me know. I would also welcome any suggestions for alternatives.

Reference :

"KO-ed by Tam Dao"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1135187860

"Fragrance Review: Scent of the day: Diptyque Tam Dao" (Now Smell This)
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...17/445352.html

"Fragrance Review: Geo F Trumper: some quick reviews" (Now Smell This)
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...21/456671.html

"Fragrance Review: Diptyque Tam Dao and 10 Corso Como" (Bois de Jasmin)
    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...nce_revie.html

”Commercial Sandalwood"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1129097730/0

”Santal and Sandalwood"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1130596245/0

”Best sandalwood scent"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...08921838/21#21

"Best sandalwood fragrance?"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...33133782/12#12

"Sandalwood Heavyweights: Santal Nobel vs Trumpers"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...31679803/10#10

"What about sandalwood?"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1127843971/0

"The ULTIMATE Basenotes SANDALWOOD thread"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1106451209/0

"Tam Dao, a redundant purchase? "
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1129403845/0#2

"Mysore sandalwoods?"
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...31625776/11#11

Default Re: Best Sandalwood - Time for the Verdict!

I love Tam Dao, but I have to choose Santal Noble here. More than any other fragrance, Santal Noble uses fecal notes in a way that's almost disgusting, but ultimately tantalizing and infinitely interesting. A masterpiece.

I voted for Art of Shaving Sandalwood, but Tam Dao could have
    taken my vote also. AoS Sandalwood seems more powerful.
    Those who have used it know not to spray it near the neck after
    shaving. As has been said before, "It burns, it burns!"

After taking a sniff of the tiny bit of Villoresi Sandolo I had left,
    I'm getting tempted to pick that up as well. Quite fine stuff.

I have to go with Tam Dao

(subject to change without notice)

I voted for Tam Dao. It's a very true sandalwood. Haven't tried Santal Noble.

I actually tried Tam Dao for the first time today (thanks Marlen!), and it is indeed very nice. Haven't tried enough of the others to give a fair judgement. Now, you wrote you hade more inline but had to scale down. It was probably one of these two, but I still want to mention them (as I have in previous threads many times): Helmut Lang - Cuiron and Dorissima - Narziß. Especially the last one... Sample if from Luckyscent if you haven't already.

This is very hard because i LOVE sandalwood. I cannot pick just one,so i went with my top three: LV Sandalo, Trumpers Sandalwood and Santal Noble.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Santal de Mysore SL - is the best and true scent of sandalwood...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Caswell Massey Sandalwood
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

AoS Sandalwood, all natural baby!

Great post Vibrant_Violet !

From your list, I voted LV Sandalo first and Floris Sandalwood second. The third place would have been for Tam Dao.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

It has been very interesting following the Sandalwood posts.
    I voted Tam Dao.
    It is the purest richest Sandalwood in my opinion. Nothing but Sandalwood.

I recently purchased Sonoma's Sanctuary and wore it as my S.O.T.D. yesterday.
    This might be second place to T.D. for me.
    It is a very nice Sandalwood with quite a pronounced frankincense note.
    Lasts a looonnng time.
    Definitely worth having in your aresnal.

Cheers;
    B.G.

My three favorite sandalwoods are LV Sandalo, MPG Santal Noble, and Diptyque Tam Dao. I like them all and could not choose just one. I also have a new bottle of Sonoma Scent Studio Sanctuary pour Homme. I like it initially but the verdict is still out until I wear it a few times.

Thanks V_V for this poll. I too love sandalwood this time of year and I'm enjoying all the threads on this topic.

I voted Trumper's excellent concoction. The only other one I tried is MPG's, and IMHO, it's a bit too stuffy for my tastes...wish it was otherwise.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I've voted for Trumper's Sandalwood here. I find it much more sensuous and pleasing to the nose than Tam Dao or Santal Noble. And a lot more sexy, as well.

I also voted for Trumper's, though I equally like LV Sandalo and Tam Dao as well...

...aaaand Santal Noble pulls out in front by a nose

arden for men sandalwood - they don't make it any more, but can still be found - drier than most other sandalwoods - I love it.

Santal Noble - MPG

I have not tried enough of the choices offered to be able to cast a vote responsibly, so I didn't. However, I could not resist the urge to mention that I like Santal Noble (after the top notes have, mercifully, blown off) a whole lot more than Floris' Santal.

For once I'm in the majority: MpG's SANTAL NOBLE !

However, it occurs to me that while I've actually sampled Sonoma's Sanctuary PH, I hadn't even heard of Santal de Mysore by SL; so I was wondering if you might be persuaded to review the whole lot ?

You've put together a great thread, V. V.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Blog Entries

I must admit to also not voting due to the fact that I have never met let alone sniffed any of the included fragrances. :-[

Sandalwood is one of my 'soul' notes - a note in perfume which I am constantly drawn to in single note & complex mix form, which soothes /comforts/ inspires me (great for my confidence), smells like my skin but much better and which happens to be a major component of most of my HG perfumes. I LOVE sandalwood :-*

My 2p worth is:

Even though Sandalwood is a 'soul' note for me and I love vintage classic formulation fragrances Chanel's Bois des Iles does (unlisted Sandalwood Fragrance (F)) nothing for me. I have a bottle of the parfum and am disappointed to find that it disappears on me in minutes!! I have tested this recently when I applied it just before retiring, asked SO to sniff & tell & he replied that it smelt nice but was very faint. I had applied it literally 2 minutes earlier!! >

When I can smell it it appears to be a very smooth and creamy sandalwood but not sweet. Though woody it is extremely feminine & genteel. I am hoping that it may come more into its own in the spring & summer, but for now I am very unimpressed. I am also quite sad as I have been wanting this fragrance for years specifically because of the sandalwood & rave reviews. I due believe it is more the curse of Chanel which has struck again rather than the scent itself. Chanel & I just don't get on....

Unlisted but totally amazing is Yardley's Sandalwood:

Yardley Sandalwood Eau de Toilette - Since 1770, Yardley of London has been using only the finest ingredients to create its quality fragrances, devoting to each product all the care and expertise acquired from its 200 year heritage. this distinctive eau de toilette is a sophisticated composition combining fresh floral scents (Bergamot, Lavender, Geranium and Lime) with a woody floral heart (Sandalwood, Rose) and a warm spicy base (Cedarwood, Patchouli, Benzoin and Musk)

The initial character of the fragrance is quite fougere, clear & aromatic. I enjoy wearing this scent in the spring & summer as it is very fresh yet unique among the usually citrus / florals most others wear. The sandalwood itself in this scent is very sensual, smooth, smoky & woody due to the longlasting base notes making this scent perfect for any occasion. It is / was a unisex scent which morphs into something amazing on the skin which above all quietly stated power & confidence. It is exceptional and everything that Crabtree & Evelyn's 'stale ashtray' tobacco riddled Sandalwood dreamnt it could be.

On myself it was sensual, conveyed strength and self possession whilst still complimenting my femininity. A more conventional, girly friend has stopped dead in her tracks several times (when meeting me) and asked what I am wearing. She says that it smells classy but extremely sexy to her, it also calls to mind discreet wealth. If I was a man and available, apparently it would have been my lucky day!! As it is she has to satisfy herself with just enjoying the scent of this wonderfully charismatic & sensual scent.

Unfortunately I have heard that this amazing scent has been discontinued, and I have been finding it nearly impossible to find locally or online. :'( So now I am desperately seeking a worthy replacement (may be a touch more 'feminine') and ekeing out the last I have. If anyone knows of a stockist in the UK or online please let me know. I would also welcome any suggestions for alternatives.

Thanks for reading.
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Vibrant Violet. I actually voted for 'other' with 10 Corso Como in mind. I then read your comments about it.

I get a long lasting mix of oudh and sandalwood from it.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    Unfortunately I have heard that this amazing scent has been discontinued, and I have been finding it nearly impossible to find locally or online.
    You can still find Yardley's Sandalwood in several places (I don't personally like it on me because it is very flowery):

http://www.scentrepoint.co.uk/yardle...25ml-spray.htm
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I have three more sandalwoods to be added onto my "subjective reviews" above.

Le Roi Santal (Comptoir Sud Pacifique)

Santuary Pour Homme (Sonoma)

Sanctuary Pour Femme (Sonoma)

VV

Tam Dao is lovely albeit a bit self-effacing for me

The Crabtree & Evelyn is, of the ones I've tried, the closest to being a straightforward Sandalwood. Which is not to say it's the best fragrance ...

Let me add on Sandalwood Vert (Fresh)....

I strongly agree with Morning Oil about Crabtree & Evelyn. Theirs is the most natural, close to the real thing. Very low on my list in terms of how much I like it, it´s to spicy (in that foody way - just ike the tree itself). My vote goes to Floris´s Sandalwood which is just AMAZING, mellow, masculine and great. Beatiful neutral transparent flacon as well.

MMM

A tie for me between Tam Dao & Crabtree & Evelyn. While I love Tam Dao on its own, I like the versatility of being able to mix Crabtree & Evelyn sandalwood bath products with other scents to give them more of a rich base.

One more add-on! ; Sandalsilver (Montale)

Great thread with excellent reviews, VV.

I voted for Santal Noble, but it was tough since I kept breaking it down thinking "best light/summer sandalwood": L'Artisan Santal, "best fresh/tonic sandalwood": Creed Santal Imperial, "best all-purpose sandalwood": Diptique Tam Dao, "best exotic sandalwood": SL Santal de Mysore, etc., etc.

If you like Tam Dao, give SMN Sandalo a try: it takes the raw, almost gasoline-like qualities of Tam and multiplies them ten-fold ... NOT for the faint-of-heart!
    ..."net", not "naut".

Hi Stoneskipper!

I have not tried Sandalo (SMN) or Santal de Mysore (SL) yet, and have been dying to sniff them sometime. It almost feels as if you could read my mind! Yes! Whenever I hear the word "exotic" or "gasoline-like", I have to give it a try, at least! Thanks for the info!

VV

Quick add-on!

Bois de Santal (Keiko Mecheri) [ch12288]

Santal Blanc (Madini)

I finally found someone who was offering some small samples of Serge Lutens Excusive lines on ebay and I finally ordered some samples of Santal de Mysore. She only had five sample vials and I ordered all the five, of course. Someone else also has a 2.5oz bottle available at the ebay store, but it costs $185.00!..... Anyway, I'd like to comment on it as soon as I receve those samples..... I don't know why they set up this Export/Exclusive boundary *It's not a rare fragrance, because they're still producing it. It's just they don't sell any in U.S..... *I sincerely hope some day some basenoters living in Paris will kindly send me a bottle of Santal de Mysore.......Whew.

VV

Just added!

Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens) [ch12288]

I bought two of the listed scents blind; Santal Noble and Tam Dao. There must be something 'wrong' with my nose as all I smell in TD is CEDAR : There's sandalwood in there too :??? It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar....................not that that's 'bad' but sandalwood doesn't register in my nose.

I voted for SN.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Hi Dan!

There's nothing wrong with your nose. After all, it's all subjective when it comes to whether or not we actually like it.

Tam Dao has a very strong and sharp top note of cypress (it's not cedar). I personally do not care for this top very much, but hang on! This woody top dissipates soon and then this cumin-ized, slightly incensy sandalwood comes up and stays on your skin quite a while. This dry-down, to my nose, is one of the most beautiful accords I could find in sandalwood-themed fragrances. But again, some people love it, and some others simply don' t.

Cedar and amber takes the center stage in Santal Noble. The passionate combination of "cedar chest" and syrupy amber is very strong when you first apply on your skin, but they eventualy settle down and creamy sandalwood gradually creeps up. This dry-down is just heavenly, isn't it?

Sandalwood is a chameleon. Depending on how it's used and what it's mixed with, it smells quite different. The more sandalwood fragrances you smell, the more easily your nose will pick up sandalwood in fragrances. I hop you'll find your favorite sandalwood fragrance soon!

VV

Thank you very much VV! As you can tell, I'm still in the learning stage with my new passion . Who said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? I really appreciate your efforts in explaining these "note" things 8-).

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Caswell Massey Sandalwood
    I'll get in the Caswell-Massey boat with K, but lean slightly to the side: and vote for Tricorn.

Ahh yes, good choice Coleman! I'm split between Tricorn and Tam Dao. Strangely, Trumpers Sandalwood is the only other sandalwood which I found to be ever so slightly similar to Tricorn, but not to my liking.

Hi Vagas and Coleman!

Thanks for the great info! I have to confess I've never tried any fragrances from Caswell-Massey. Especially, Tricorn sounds very interesting! I'm very curious what Bangalore sandalwood smells like. I could not find any on ebay but visited their website (www.caswellmassey.com) and ordered a bottle of each cologne (it's a relief that they're not that expensive)..... Thanks again!

VV

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar...
    Spanish cedar almost doesn't smell like anything - opposed to the american cedar which is quite strong.

That's why spanish cedar is used in humidors - it regulates humidity very nicely without imparting strong cedar-y notes into the cigars.

Yeah, I once was a cigar fanatic.

I declare this the best sandalwood-thread ever. Seriously, it should be like stored somewhere.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    Hi Vagas and Coleman!

Thanks for the great info! I have to confess I've never tried any fragrances from Caswell-Massey. Especially, Tricorn sounds very interesting! I'm very curious what Bangalore sandalwood smells like. I could not find any on ebay but visited their website (www.caswellmassey.com) and ordered a bottle of each cologne (it's a relief that they're not that expensive)..... *Thanks again!

VV
    You're welcome, V.V.! *Hope you enjoy both. *I haven't tried the Sandalwood myself, but I can certainly wholeheartedly endorse Tricorn. *A superlative juice! *I think SixCats is with me on this as well. *

Duh,

I just got it. Does Santal mean Sandlewood?

Steven :-?

Has anyone tried Santal Room Spray (Diptyque)? It also come as a scented candle. I know it's a room spray but I'm just curious what it smells like, in comparison to Tam Dao. According to the description on Aedes, "Deep, powdery, spicy yet soft". Does it smell like generic sandalwood? Will anyone provide info? Thanks!

VV

Explorator Dumpsterorum

My favorite (other) sandalwoods are (in order):

1. *Tipton Charles Sandalwood -- "smoothest" sandal I've ever sniffed! If sandal could be a creamsicle, this one's it!
    2. *C-M Tricorn
    3. *C-M Sandalwood

Tam Dao was one of my few disappointments in fragrance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    .....There must be something 'wrong' with my nose as all I smell in TD is CEDAR : *There's sandalwood in there too :??? *It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar....................not that that's 'bad' but sandalwood doesn't register in my nose.
    I totally agree. *Tam Dao's cypress/cedar is a "thief" of sandalwood just as the patchouli is a "thief of roses" in Voleur?! *But unlike VdR -- TD's pilferer leaves me ambivalent about what he leaves to drydown... *

I added more "subjective "reviews.[ch12288](the top of this thread [ch8593][ch65289]

Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens) - revised

Sandalo (Santa Maria Novella) *

Sandalwood (Caswell-Massey)[ch12288][ch12288]
    Tricorn (Caswell-Massey) [ch12288]

Sandalo (Byblos) *

Santal (L'Orientaliste) *

Santal (Ligne St. Barth) [ch12288] *

Santal Opoponax (Maison Berdoues) *

Sandalwood (Susanne Lang) [ch12288]

Besides the fragrances already on the list above, will anyone know of any other sandalwood fragrances? I would appreciate your precious info!

VV

I just added on a small personal review of Santal (Diptyque) above.

VV

Reviews were modified a bit.

VV

I just added on my humble review of The Body Shop Snadalwood Perfume Oil above.

VV

Can't someone please send Vibrant_Violet a sample/decant of Dorissima - Narziß? I only have one sample myself which I hold very close to my heart. Marlen just updated with a nice review of it: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/1441115.html

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Can't someone please send Vibrant_Violet a sample/decant of Dorissima - Narziß? I only have one sample myself which I hold very close to my heart. Marlen just updated with a nice review of it: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/1441115.html
    I've got a Narziß sample from Luckyscent and it is really nice.The sandalwood on it indeed is outstanding, although a little flowery.

I have not yet decided if it is worth the price tag. I have good friends in Germany so maybe I will acquire a bottle through them.
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Hey Sandalwood!

I remember obtaining some samples from luckyscent a little while ago, and one of them was Narziß (Dorissima). I believe I included Narziß because I was looking for something woody in general (not sandalwoody, necessarily) and some basenoters described this fragrance as "Incredible!". Well, frankly speaking, it did not catch my attention at all. I vaguely remember its citrus-greenish-somewhat-spicey top with cedar-woody and vetiver-warm-and-dry core. But sandalwood, if any, did not catch my attention. Or maybe as Marlen did, I should have waited for the drydown on my skin.... My problem in general is whenever I smell "herbal-green + sandaldood" or "citrus + sandalwood", I cannot help seeing the inevitable genericness because most of the time sandawood ends up being "one of the ingredients" and does not stand out as a single note..... Anyway, I should obtain some more sanples from Luckyscent again and give it another try....

By the way, did you try Santal (Florascent) yet? I haven't (they don't carry any samples at Luckyscent). I may not like the sweet pimento in its top. But Maller's description (at MakeUpAlley) "spicy sandalwood (almost like the sandalwood version of Ambre Sultan)" intrigues me. Please kindly share with us your impression on this fragrance, will you, sandalwood? Thanks!

Some basenoters commented on Yardley's Sandalwood. They still have this fragrance on their website, and I just wonder if they really discontinued this fragrance.... Do you have any comments on this one?

VV

Hi Vibrant_Violet !

When I ordered my Narziß sample I ordered another different 16 samples as well and I realized that they didn't have Florascent samples available, then I asked the costumer care lady and she said she will include a Florascent sample as well together with my order, but at the end she didn't, thus I've not been able to test this one.

As for Yardley Sandalwood it is way too flowery and although I have a bottle of this I seldom wear it. It also smells very synthetic to me.
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Hey Sandalwood!

I tried Santal (Florascent). It was a very unimpressive scent. Kind of unpleasant in a way. I added my brief review above!

And as for Narziss, I found it sort of flowery-woody. But the flowery part is so cheerful and loud (and kind of feminine) that you have to wait quite a long time before you get to the woody base. It's an interesting scent. but I was not impressed at all...

VV

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

I added some more reviews including La Contessa, Pick-Me-Up Colone Sandalwood and Santal (Florascent) above.

VV

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    Reveiws being revised....
    Hey V_V, I miss having access to your sandalwood reviews. They serve as a FAQ on sandalwood for me and I value them as a resource. Hope they appear again soon!

Hi Whitebar;

I took my reviews away because the more sandalwoods I sniffed, the more I realized how little I knew about sandalwood, and I could not help feeling a constant urge to revise my reviews. Also, considering the responsibility that comes with presenting personal reviews, the last thing I wish for would be to provide some wrong info to other basenoters. And there are a lot of typos and misspelling (sorry, it's not my primary language). I have not revised them yet, but let me post the unrevised one back for now. I will revise them as soon as I can.

VV