Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

Thanks VV. I just read the whole thing again and I appreciate you putting it back up. You are making an incredible contribution to basenotes with this information. Keep up the good work!

Hi Whitebar;

It's all my pleasure! I just got DSH sandalwood fragrance samples (Arabian Sandalwood, Tunisian Sandalwood, Egyptian Sandalwood, Sensual Sandalwood, Mysore Sandalwood, East Indian Sandalwood and Sandalo Inspiritu) on reviews on them sometime soon.

VV

This is such an excellent thread and the original reviews of all the fragrances are fantastic. No surprise that sandalwood is perhaps my favourite note! I am a big fan of Tam Dao but I would say, for me, the LV Sandalo perhaps wins by a nose!

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Review on Sandalo (Compagnia Delle Indie) was just added on.

Cool

what a masterpiece of a thread - A real help!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I haven't tested all the Sandalwood's you've listed (and what an impressive list it is!), but I offer the following comments on the ones I know about.

If you include Floris Santal as a sandalwood scent, then you'd also want to include three similar designer scents, namely Gucci Envy, Dupont's Signature and Larrikin for Men.
    Larrikin is the more potent of the four, and the more different, being made from Australian sandalwood (they also make another supposedly unisex scent called Santalia - designed by the chap at MPG, but it's strong blue rose note makes in unwearable by most men, as far I'm concerned).

Santal Noble is the most formal of the sandalwoods I've tried.
    Trumpers Sandalwood is the liveliest (and the sleeziest, according to some opinions).

Sandolo I liked, but my fellow workers kept asking me why I was wearing a women's scent.

I can't fathom the praise heaped on Tam Dao - it struck me as a nothing scent, and I happily passed on it when I could have gotten it pretty cheap.

Interesting how you like the Byblos one - I haven't ever seen it, but I'm intrigued as I'm a real fan of Byblos Patchouli, which seems superior to all the other more praised patchouli's I've tried. I'll have to hunt the sandalwood one up on my next trip next year.
    Renato

Last edited by pluran; 27th February 2012 at 04:24 PM.

This topic seems to have died over the past year, but I am a new subscriber and took everyone's reviews for gospel. I am a sandalwood essential oil efficionado and have bought 100-year old mysore lovingly sealed in a chemist's bottle in San Fransisco, $300 an ounce 1962 Tamil Nadu (an indian state forest that produced oil until recently) and have even imported a few litres of Vanuatu sandalwood oil from a tiny archepelago in the south pacific. By no means an expert, I am maybe a self-made expert. I do know I love true sandalwood (santalum album, not s. spicatum) like no other scent. I tried many of those mentioned and bought just a few. Here is my take:

Being an overindulger in all things, I just received a 500 ml. bottle of D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave directly from the shoppe on James Street. It is nice. Just nice. As with many of the scents I have experienced, it overstates its authenticity. D.R. Harris says it has the true scent of mysore sandalwood for "particular" customers. What I smelled was a light but unmistakeable scent of sassafrass and a drop of eucalyptus. I do enjoy it, but it is not sandalwood as I know it.

Similarly, I wanted to love Santal Noble for all of the descriptions I read. I really was prepared to wrap myself in it. Even what some describe as "fecal" notes, I am allured by as long as the sandalwood, true and unmistakeable, arose somewhere in the mix.

I liked it. Its coffee and chocolate were clear and unmurky. Its woody notes were wonderful. Then, 15 minutes into it, came the powdery drydown like a club on a harp seal. So unfortunate. The powder reminded me of the cheap dimestore "Emeraude" my mother used to wear before going to dinner theater in the round in her polyester poncho. Where the "rich wood tones" desribed by other reviewers were escapes me. I will not buy this scent.

I did buy the L.V. Sandalo based on the rave reviews and the descriptions of its "pure" sandalwood scent that emerged in the drydown. The opening was not rose, for me, it was violet. The sandalwood was cypress. The cost was $110. A little sweet for my taste.

I wanted also to love 10 Corso Como. The oud is unmistakeable. The frankincense, somewhere in the mix. The sandalwood, pretty much absent. What I found most interesting about this scent is that the drydown is reminiscent of burnt rubber. I can see that it would become a cult classic, the "anti-cologne" among the art crowd, sort of a dada-ist rejection of the principles of fine perfumery. Next we shall be smearing ourselves in mothballs and crayon. Sandalwood? I am afraid it is untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfresno
    This topic seems to have died over the past year, but I am a new subscriber and took everyone's reviews for gospel. I am a sandalwood essential oil efficionado and have bought 100-year old mysore lovingly sealed in a chemist's bottle in San Fransisco, $300 an ounce 1962 Tamil Nadu (an indian state forest that produced oil until recently) and have even imported a few litres of Vanuatu sandalwood oil from a tiny archepelago in the south pacific. By no means an expert, I am maybe a self-made expert. I do know I love true sandalwood (santalum album, not s. spicatum) like no other scent. I tried many of those mentioned and bought just a few. Here is my take:

Being an overindulger in all things, I just received a 500 ml. bottle of D.R. Harris Sandalwood aftershave directly from the shoppe on James Street. It is nice. Just nice. As with many of the scents I have experienced, it overstates its authenticity. D.R. Harris says it has the true scent of mysore sandalwood for "particular" customers. What I smelled was a light but unmistakeable scent of sassafrass and a drop of eucalyptus. I do enjoy it, but it is not sandalwood as I know it.

Similarly, I wanted to love Santal Noble for all of the descriptions I read. I really was prepared to wrap myself in it. Even what some describe as "fecal" notes, I am allured by as long as the sandalwood, true and unmistakeable, arose somewhere in the mix.

I liked it. Its coffee and chocolate were clear and unmurky. Its woody notes were wonderful. Then, 15 minutes into it, came the powdery drydown like a club on a harp seal. So unfortunate. The powder reminded me of the cheap dimestore "Emeraude" my mother used to wear before going to dinner theater in the round in her polyester poncho. Where the "rich wood tones" desribed by other reviewers were escapes me. I will not buy this scent.

I did buy the L.V. Sandalo based on the rave reviews and the descriptions of its "pure" sandalwood scent that emerged in the drydown. The opening was not rose, for me, it was violet. The sandalwood was cypress. The cost was $110. A little sweet for my taste.

I wanted also to love 10 Corso Como. The oud is unmistakeable. The frankincense, somewhere in the mix. The sandalwood, pretty much absent. What I found most interesting about this scent is that the drydown is reminiscent of burnt rubber. I can see that it would become a cult classic, the "anti-cologne" among the art crowd, sort of a dada-ist rejection of the principles of fine perfumery. Next we shall be smearing ourselves in mothballs and crayon. Sandalwood? I am afraid it is untouchable.
    Great entrance, welcome aboard!

Great thread and thanks for bringing it to my attention by reviving it. I have just tested 4 sandalwoods today (thanks a mill to felow basenoter costello and to Geo. F. Trumper): Sandalo Villoresi, Santal Noble MPG, Tam Dao and Trumper's Sandalwood. These are merely first impressions!

What incredible variety. I can see why jimmyfresno wouds find some "sandalwood" frags very unsandalwoodish. Trumper's is the odd man out in this quartet. I get a fruit bomb here, intriguing but confusing and reminding me of ... the artificial smell of a green apple shampoo I used a million years ago. It settles down into a very "barbershoppy" smell which I enjoy on barbershops, but not really on me. I doubt this one will be something I will wear, but I'll enjoy sniffing the sample every once in a while. Not something if you're looking for lots of pure wood.

Then there's Santal noble. The darkest, fullest of the group, the gourmand bit is nice, but distracts from the sandalwood. I enjoyed the first twenty minutes nonetheless but then this becomes cloying and cheaply sweet on me and what remains in the end is a somewhat disappointing nice but generic "men's cologne" note.

Sandalo: Great and easily my favorite among these. Much brighter, clearer , than MPG, precise dry wood meshes beautifully with the rosewood. The letdown is that it disappears on me within 20 minutes. It is still subtly present when I sniff my wrist up really close, and beautiful, but after an hour - nil. Too bad. Piper nigrum lasts relatively well on me.

Tam Dao: difficult. Even sharper and brighter than Villoresi, love the woodnotes but I have a problem as they mix with the incense, which to me smells like yesterday's offering in a cold church and together with the wood very distinctly brings up the memory of the smell on the Calais-Dover ferry at night on deck: diesel-metal-lubricant. Abstractly Tam Dao is brilliant, but I cannot dissociate it from that olfactory memory. It gets better on the drydown, but I'll have to experiment with this.

So for now I would say I haven't found my perfect Sandalwood yet, but I'll be trying these again on a regular basis. Is there something like a "Sandalo concentrée" out there? Suggestions welcome.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfresno

Jimmyfresno,

I want to echo Magnum's sentiments and also say thank you for an informative perspective and welcome aboard.

Your initial post is a welcomed corrective against the extraordinarily naive belief that a fragrance contains Mysore sandalwood because a specific company says it does. This is a creed especially among Creed heads, who, generally, tend to take most things on faith. A quick search of posts will prove this. I have argued in a number of posts that it's almost impossible to get true Mysore sandalwood--or any West Indian sandalwood oil for that matter--because the government (both state and national) has put the brakes on an already almost totally depleted supply. Furthermore, sandalwood is one of the most easily reproducible basenotes, and, I might, add one of the most elastic concept in modern perfumery. Like you, I have yet to smell in most recent fragrances anything that comes near to natural sandalwood and certainly nothing that comes near Mysore sandalwood. I have a number of small samples of sandalwoods from the Mysore region and surrounding state owned forests--purchased like you at great expense--and what strikes one clearly--and you make this very clear yourself--is how absent the true sandalwood note is from many recent fragrances that claim they have sandalwood in them. Thanks again for your perspective.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    Jimmyfresno,

I want to echo Magnum's sentiments and also say thank you for an informative perspective and welcome aboard.

Your initial post is a welcomed corrective against the extraordinarily naive belief that a fragrance contains Mysore sandalwood because a specific company says it does. This is a creed especially among Creed heads, who, generally, tend to take most things on faith. A quick search of posts will prove this. I have argued in a number of posts that it's almost impossible to get true Mysore sandalwood--or any West Indian sandalwood oil for that matter--because the government (both state and national) has put the brakes on an already almost totally depleted supply. Furthermore, sandalwood is one of the most easily reproducible basenotes, and, I might, add one of the most elastic concept in modern perfumery. Like you, I have yet to smell in most recent fragrances anything that comes near to natural sandalwood and certainly nothing that comes near Mysore sandalwood. I have a number of small samples of sandalwoods from the Mysore region and surrounding state owned forests--purchased like you at great expense--and what strikes one clearly--and you make this very clear yourself--is how absent the true sandalwood note is from many recent fragrances that claim they have sandalwood in them. Thanks again for your perspective.

scentemental

Scentemental, according to this article, Creed still use authentic Mysore sandalwood, because they have a contracted a local farm to grow it exclusively for them. I know that this can be legit, since I am of southeast asian descent and know people who do that in the region. However, due to the restrictions placed by the Indian government on the age of the trees before the harvest is allowed to be reaped, Creed might have had to limit the quantities of mysore sandalwood in their fragrances. I also grew up in the middle east, where vast quantities of sandalwood and imported from Mysore...as you may already know, sandalwood is prized in many arab nations.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/stor...iving/13986823

Sandalwood article:
    https://aromatherapyencyclopedia.wor...l-oil-article/
    -

I received my Yardley Sandalwood in Eau de Toilette strenght. It smells like their soap, very pleasant. Not only sandalwood going on in the beginning. My overall impression is it wears close to the skin, doesn't have sillage and doesn't last a long time. It's quite faint at heart and I think the Eau de Cologne version probably is not worth buying because of the strenght ....

Best sandalwood I have come across yet has to be the genuine 100% Indian Sandalwood essential oil from Primavera (5ml). Expensive, but worth every tiny drop and I read that it even gets better with time.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 26th August 2006 at 10:56 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Thanks Scentimental and Magnum.
    Still sounding sanctimonious but just wanting to share my enthusiasm, so sorry to sound all Poindexter about this, but: it would be implausible for a company to "contract" for sandalwood farming of santalum album, the east indian variety, because it takes 40 years to get a passable oil from it and 50-100 to get a good one.

I think part of the problem is that I'm not thinking of the scent in its perfumer's abstract sense, but in its natural essential oil sense, particularly because often, perfumers wave the term "essence of Mysore" at us as a carrot (Crabtree and Evelyn). Stiff British D.R. Harris goes so far with its aftershave as to tout, "with the True Scent of Mysore for Particular Clients."

Because sandalwood essential oil is so expensive now, I have never had the luxury of considering it a "fixative." It is my hero and I want to smell it. It would be fantastic to have a fragrance that lets the sandalwood to shine, not take the backstage, even if it has to be synthetic. I thought maybe expert perfumers had ways to "amplify" the real deal. The imitations, (usually synthetic sandalore-based or a concoction fo sassafrass and sweet birch, amyris, spearmint barber "tonic.") just don't come close.

I do like my Lorenzo Villoresi but the violet (I'll continue to insist that it's not rose) gets to be a bit much after a while, at least in the hot weather. On an even stronger floral note, Trumpers was way too cloying Yankee Candle vanilla and rose to me.

I was encouraged by comments about Floris Sandalwood to buy a bottle, thinking that it would be a lovely transparent, wonderful showcase for true mysore sandalwood. Actually, what is touted as a hint of "bergamot" note actually met my nose as a whisper of peppermint! We're talking after dinner peppermint! The closest, most interesting to me was Santal Noble, which dared to open with a shock of gourmand cocoa, coffee and sandalwood, surprisingly unsweet and rich. For a few moments it was heavenly, but on me it developed a powdery drydown. It actually inspired me to blend my own mixture of lots of perfumer's alcohol, a dash of good Tamil Nadu sandalwood, and a single drop of cocoa (isoamyl phenyl acetate) mixed up in a spray bottle.

Thanks for the suggestions and information, and I'll keep checking in.

Surprise - surprise! Yankee Candle's Vanilla Sandalwood is absolutely amazing IMO. This one is way better than the normal Sandalwood by YC. The normal is a mess - I hated it, but Vanilla Sandalwood has a vanilla-musk-sandalwood combo that makes me happy as only Gousse by MPG can do.

Thumbs up Re: Best Sandalwood

If you like fresh, comfortable and long lasting santal, try "Santal" from Fragonard : http://www.fragonard.com

Today I sampled Creed Bois de Santal - fairly rare, the oldest of their 3 sandalwood fragrances. Well, it's also the best of the 3 in my view; definitely some fairly true sandalwood in there (dunno if it's Mysore proper, but it's not the Australian variety), plus a leather note that seems based on REL. It turns a bit too sweet on me (less than Trumper's), but I would still recommend sandal-lovers to try it.

I am currently loving Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo...very fresh and very true to sandalwood.
    A nice treat for hotter climates.

Which one do you think smells the most like sandalwood.. with least amount of other stuff that is..

^A great, simple, Sandalwood and not much else type, is Creed's Santal Imperial.

Caswell Massey's 1752, for sure. The top note smells a little strong, but it settles down to something very rich and pleasant.

I sampled Art Of Shaving Sandalwood the other day and loved it! One simple spray to the back of my hand lasted over 12 hours, even after washing dishes by hand, I could still smell it. Best longevity I have ever experienced. Bottle worthy indeed!
    Peace ~ Markymark

While arguably not the best Sandalwood out there, I love to wear the Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood.

i like the creed original santal best out of the ones i've heard in this thread.

Hello, how nice to discover this thread! I am a Sandalwood fan (expensive or cheap I don't mind!) I'm using Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo which I bought in Spain. It has a heavy tone that does move to a good sandalwood perfume after a few minutes on the skin. I also use Crabtree & Evelyn which to my inexperienced nose seems sharper and more woody and it certainly suits me. I'm glad to have discovered this conversations as I'm always on the lookout for sandalwood fragrances (I've run out of Fragonard's Sandal which is also quite good but not as good as the two mentioned above). some of thse mentioned in this thread are difficulet to get in the UK but I will look.
    Last edited by Naxman; 27th May 2009 at 12:02 PM.

Hi Naxman, welcome and thanks for kicking this thread back up. I've been on the quest for the king of Sandalwood scents as well. Lots of interesting posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxman View Post
    Hello, how nice to discover this thread! I am a Sandalwood fan (expensive or cheap I don't mind!) I'm using Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo which I bought in Spain. It has a heavy tone that does move to a good sandalwood perfume after a few minutes on the skin. I also use Crabtree & Evelyn which to my inexperienced nose seems sharper and more woody and it certainly suits me. I'm glad to have discovered this conversations as I'm always on the lookout for sandalwood fragrances (I've run out of Fragonard's Sandal which is also quite good but not as good as the two mentioned above). some of thse mentioned in this thread are difficulet to get in the UK but I will look.

Good bump mate....this is easily the 'best' sandalwood thread ever

and yeah......Welcome aboard mate

I like Tam Dao best, for what it is worth. Find MPG Santal Noble too foody and Art of Shaving Sandalwood too medicinal and sharp. Egoiste is more of a rosewood scent, much like Trumpers. Need to try Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens and the parfum thing from Montale. Heard good things about the Sandalo's from Etro and LV, but I'm quite pleased with my decant of Tam Dao.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I can only find one chain store in the UK that stocks Tam Dao so I'll try to track it down. I'm even addicted to the cheap Mysore Sandalwood soap. Yes it does smell soapy and the scent doesn't last long but it's good for me. Not as good as Rogers & Gallet but I'm finding that more difficult to source (and it's also more expensive).

When I first started work xx yeas ago, I worked for a charity that imported handicrafts from asia. One of the items were pens made from sandalwood (obviously someone had "added" additional perfume to them) I could spend hours in that area of the warehouse getting high on sandalwood.

Can anyone recommend an online supplier for the UK? I'm finding it quite difficult to track down some of the perfumes mentioned.
    Last edited by Naxman; 27th May 2009 at 02:05 PM.

I have been watching thread and I am just writing to contribute my opinion on Santal de Mysore. I love sandalwood and I have only known it in its "classic" versions. I own Santal Noble and have tried Tam Dao among other things. I also own and love SdM. I have never even come close to Mysore santalwood so I do not really know how true to it SdM is but I have to warn once more that SdM has NOTHING simillar to Tam Dao or SN. To my nose it is coconut curry. Beautiful scent but probably the most "difficult" scent I own.

Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I can only find one chain store in the UK that stocks Tam Dao so I'll try to track it down. I'm even addicted to the cheap Mysore Sandalwood soap. Yes it does smell soapy and the scent doesn't last long but it's good for me. Not as good as Rogers & Gallet but I'm finding that more difficult to source (and it's also more expensive).

When I first started work xx yeas ago, I worked for a charity that imported handicrafts from asia. One of the items were pens made from sandalwood (obviously someone had "added" additional perfume to them) I could spend hours in that area of the warehouse getting high on sandalwood.
    You should try Diptyque's Tam Dao shower gel. That stuff is in some ways better than the fragrance. If it wasn't $44, I would buy it so fast.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Nowadays, I prefer Santal Imperial by Creed. You get the sandalwood goodness without the hamster cage effect that some others seem to possess.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I really enjoy the sandalwood present in the Chez Bond drydown, albeit mixed with with french vanilla a bit.

Has anyone here actually tried the Montale Santal de Mysore? I expect to when the split that I'm in finally fills up, but I've not seen it mentioned much anywhere. There is a single thread here at BN that really contained more speculation than actual, firsthand info. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's actually smelled the stuff.

Sur la Plage

I'm still looking for my HG sandalwood fragrance. I recently tried Creed Santal Imperial. That definitely was not it - pretty boring and unspectacular IMO. So I will keep searching......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

An extremely informative and very interesting thread. A real education in sandalwood fragrances. However, I must say:

Tam Dao Has Got the Pow!

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    An extremely informative and very interesting thread. A real education in sandalwood fragrances. However, I must say:

Tam Dao Has Got the Pow!

Best,

TJ
    I did read in a post by an esteemed basenoter that Tam Dao has been altered and the sandalwood in it is is not as prounounced and that it has probably been replaced with other 'woods'.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I did read in a post by an esteemed basenoter that Tam Dao has been altered and the sandalwood in it is is not as prounounced and that it has probably been replaced with other 'woods'.
    Thanks gupts:

I will always remember you for turning me on to Egoiste Cologne Concentree. How is everything going on down under?

As far as Tam Dao, how extremely unfortunate. As we all know, there is a very strong propensity for houses to destroy great fragrances. I was actually at the Hermes boutique in Houston recently discussing Hermes fragrances with the resident and very French Hermes fragrance expert. She kept insisting that Bel Ami had never been reformulated and I was mistaken. Go figure.

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Nowadays, I prefer Santal Imperial by Creed. You get the sandalwood goodness without the hamster cage effect that some others seem to possess.
    That's it that's it!!! Hamster cage!! that the smell that's so often combined with Sandalwood in some fragrances and those are the notes I dislike.

Last edited by Naxman; 28th May 2009 at 08:13 AM.

I liked Santal Imperial as well when I tried it out a few weeks back. Simple- maybe Sandalwood is best that way. It's such a pleasant scent, why mess it up with other notes?

Joining this place could be a bad expensive move. I'm no expert on fragrances (the amount of spicy food I consume it's a miricle I can smell anything) but I know what I like when I smell it. I may be a "pleb" user/punter but I'm now on a mission to try some of the fragrances mentioned in this thread.
    Last edited by Naxman; 28th May 2009 at 08:44 AM.

Well I purchased a botle of Tam Dao based on the comments here and I am not dissapointed. Trying to source some of these fragrances in the the UK is very difficult, if anyoune has any pointers about good UK suppliers or websites I'd be very grateful to hear from them.

Well I purchased a botle of Tam Dao based on the comments here and I am not dissapointed. Trying to source some of these fragrances in the the UK is very difficult, if anyoune has any pointers about good UK suppliers or websites I'd be very grateful to hear from them.
    www.heals.co.uk might be worth a shot.

Updated with direct link: http://www.heals.co.uk/Toiletries/Di...s76aYYKg%3D%3D
    Last edited by johsa; 19th December 2009 at 05:00 PM.

Trying to source some of these fragrances in the the UK is very difficult, if anyoune has any pointers about good UK suppliers or websites I'd be very grateful to hear from them.
    You might like to try Les Senteurs in London - check their site. I recently bought a 12ml bottle of Amouage Santal Attar from them. I have only worn it once but a considered first impression is that this smells and feels like a very authentic Sandalwood - not a pure oil, more of a 'base', but then again not far from a pure oil in that it is not a sandalwood belended perfume like many mentioned above.

Of the ones mentioned I own and enjoy MPG Santal Noble / Villoresi Sandalo / Etro Sandalo. Can't comment on the others mentioned except for Tam Dao which is nice enough but I wouldn't buy it, and 10 Corso Como, which I love dearly but never considered a sandalwood - more of a vermouth with a plum somewhere nearby

This Amouage seems to be the closest I have come across to the simple Mysore sandalwood oils that were so easy to find back in the 70s.

Mind you, if you want authenticity you can buy an EDT of Mysore Santalum Alum with perfumer's alcohol from www.profumo.it. I was also lucky enough to receive a small vial of pure santalum alum to try and it was just as I remembered it. I once added a drop of the oil on my wrist with MPG Santal Noble and really enjoyed the enhanced experience . . . I'm sure a drop of the Amouage Attar could be used the same way with any of the various scents mentioned in the thread as an added basenote - I suspect it is deftly supported by some synthetics to prolong it a bit.

I am also a sandalwood fan - after using essential oils in the 70s I switched to Crabtree & Evelyn Mysore Sandalwood EDT for a decade before it was reformulated. Thanks to the OP and others (over the years) who have contributed to this thread - it's a great pool of information.

PS Jumping back in here (rather than bumping) to +1 PaulSC Dawn Spencer Hurwitz Sandalo Inspiritu which I just recently picked up.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 23rd August 2010 at 05:08 AM. Reason: PS

Many thanks to both of you for the tips. I'm well on my way to becoming an official sandalwood junkie

Default Re: Best Sandalwood - Time for the Verdict!

I tried Creed Santal this week, it was positively nasty. A high note of something like sweet cloying woods with a base of hamster cage.

Although not a single note santal fragrance, my favorite is Bois des Iles by Chanel.

I tried Creed Santal this week, it was positively nasty. A high note of something like sweet cloying woods with a base of hamster cage.
    You must be talking about Original Santal because Santal Imperial isn't nasty at all.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

This one?

Don't let the name fool you.
    It's not a sandalwood fragrance.
    It's a synthetic sugary robitussin nightmare.

Creed has 2 excellent real Sandalwood scents:
    Santal Imperial and Bois De Santal.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    This one?

Don't let the name fool you.
    It's not a sandalwood fragrance.
    It's a synthetic sugary robitussin nightmare.

Creed has 2 excellent real Sandalwood scents:
    Santal Imperial and Bois De Santal.
    I also see Angelique Encens as a sandalwood oriental. Although the topnotes are about herbal angelica and subtle incense, the drydown is all about sandalwood. My friend even mistook it for Bois des Isles.

bois de santal is my baby mama.

eric b

Thank goodness for that, it was this red bottle and your description as a "robitussin nightmare" is completely correct. I was in Harvey Nichols in Leeds and saw a Creed stand - I tried Santal and was disgusted I'll go back and look for Santal Imperial and Bois De Santal - Thank you all for pointing out my misapprehension. I've also ordered some decants from the USA to try:-

•AbdesSalaam Attar Australian Sandalwood
    •Accord Parfait Boise (Heliotrope and Santal)
    •Diptyque Tam Dao
    •i Profumi di FIrenze Sandalo Indiano
    •Keiko Mecheri Bois de Santal
    •Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo
    •Pacifica Sandalwood
    •Roberto Cavalli Oro
    •Serge Lutens Santal Blanc

So no doubt I'll be back with my comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    You must be talking about Original Santal because Santal Imperial isn't nasty at all.
    I'm off to find the Creed real sandalwood scents

Santal Noble (the vintage bottle, albeit the non-vintage juice is still gorgeous). I own both.

Thank goodness for that, it was this red bottle and your description as a "robitussin nightmare" is completely correct. I was in Harvey Nichols in Leeds and saw a Creed stand - I tried Santal and was disgusted I'll go back and look for Santal Imperial and Bois De Santal -
    You may have to purchase Bois de Santa from a decanter, since I believe it is Currently one of Creed's Vault scents. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes you may be right, I went to the Harvey Nichols store in Leeds (my nearest stockists of Creed) They had neither of the Sandalwood fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

I'm still searching for more sandalwood choices - this morning's wearing of Bois des Iles refreshed my memory on how much I really enjoy wearing sandalwood fragrances, but somehow it just doesn't scratch that itch as much as I want it to.

I've been mildly interested, during various times, in Tam Dao and the Art of Shaving Sandalwood, but I never felt the need to spring for a full bottle of either. And I really enjoy Santalum by Profumum, but it is so sweet & heavy, I need something a bit lighter for Miami's warm weather...the Profumum I only wear a couple months out of the year.

By coincidence I wore Etro Sandalo today. I don't often reach for the bottle, but it was a perfect choice for working at home on a cool, dry coastal California day. When it gets hotter I find the Etro a bit heady and prefer DSH Sandalo Inspiritu.*

The latter, incidentally has just been discontinued. My impression is that it was one of the more popular men's scents in the line, so I take its discontinuation to mean that it contains true Mysore sandalwood, which has become so difficult to source (although this is only speculation, reinforced by comparison with a small vial of the pure oil). Anyway the good news is that the remaining stock is discounted. For instance a 0.25 oz purse spray is now $27...

*I wouldn't call Sandalo Inspiritu "light" by any means, but it is relatively dry and works well on a hot day IMO.
    Spray it, don’t say it…
    WARDROBE