Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Re: Best Sandalwood - Time for the Verdict!

Great thread with excellent reviews, VV.

I voted for Santal Noble, but it was tough since I kept breaking it down thinking "best light/summer sandalwood": L'Artisan Santal, "best fresh/tonic sandalwood": Creed Santal Imperial, "best all-purpose sandalwood": Diptique Tam Dao, "best exotic sandalwood": SL Santal de Mysore, etc., etc.

If you like Tam Dao, give SMN Sandalo a try: it takes the raw, almost gasoline-like qualities of Tam and multiplies them ten-fold ... NOT for the faint-of-heart!
    ..."net", not "naut".

Hi Stoneskipper!

I have not tried Sandalo (SMN) or Santal de Mysore (SL) yet, and have been dying to sniff them sometime. It almost feels as if you could read my mind! Yes! Whenever I hear the word "exotic" or "gasoline-like", I have to give it a try, at least! Thanks for the info!

VV

Quick add-on!

Bois de Santal (Keiko Mecheri) [ch12288]

Santal Blanc (Madini)

I finally found someone who was offering some small samples of Serge Lutens Excusive lines on ebay and I finally ordered some samples of Santal de Mysore. She only had five sample vials and I ordered all the five, of course. Someone else also has a 2.5oz bottle available at the ebay store, but it costs $185.00!..... Anyway, I'd like to comment on it as soon as I receve those samples..... I don't know why they set up this Export/Exclusive boundary *It's not a rare fragrance, because they're still producing it. It's just they don't sell any in U.S..... *I sincerely hope some day some basenoters living in Paris will kindly send me a bottle of Santal de Mysore.......Whew.

VV

Just added!

Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens) [ch12288]

I bought two of the listed scents blind; Santal Noble and Tam Dao. There must be something 'wrong' with my nose as all I smell in TD is CEDAR : There's sandalwood in there too :??? It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar....................not that that's 'bad' but sandalwood doesn't register in my nose.

I voted for SN.

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Hi Dan!

There's nothing wrong with your nose. After all, it's all subjective when it comes to whether or not we actually like it.

Tam Dao has a very strong and sharp top note of cypress (it's not cedar). I personally do not care for this top very much, but hang on! This woody top dissipates soon and then this cumin-ized, slightly incensy sandalwood comes up and stays on your skin quite a while. This dry-down, to my nose, is one of the most beautiful accords I could find in sandalwood-themed fragrances. But again, some people love it, and some others simply don' t.

Cedar and amber takes the center stage in Santal Noble. The passionate combination of "cedar chest" and syrupy amber is very strong when you first apply on your skin, but they eventualy settle down and creamy sandalwood gradually creeps up. This dry-down is just heavenly, isn't it?

Sandalwood is a chameleon. Depending on how it's used and what it's mixed with, it smells quite different. The more sandalwood fragrances you smell, the more easily your nose will pick up sandalwood in fragrances. I hop you'll find your favorite sandalwood fragrance soon!

VV

Thank you very much VV! As you can tell, I'm still in the learning stage with my new passion . Who said "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? I really appreciate your efforts in explaining these "note" things 8-).

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Caswell Massey Sandalwood
    I'll get in the Caswell-Massey boat with K, but lean slightly to the side: and vote for Tricorn.

Ahh yes, good choice Coleman! I'm split between Tricorn and Tam Dao. Strangely, Trumpers Sandalwood is the only other sandalwood which I found to be ever so slightly similar to Tricorn, but not to my liking.

Hi Vagas and Coleman!

Thanks for the great info! I have to confess I've never tried any fragrances from Caswell-Massey. Especially, Tricorn sounds very interesting! I'm very curious what Bangalore sandalwood smells like. I could not find any on ebay but visited their website (www.caswellmassey.com) and ordered a bottle of each cologne (it's a relief that they're not that expensive)..... Thanks again!

VV

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar...
    Spanish cedar almost doesn't smell like anything - opposed to the american cedar which is quite strong.

That's why spanish cedar is used in humidors - it regulates humidity very nicely without imparting strong cedar-y notes into the cigars.

Yeah, I once was a cigar fanatic.

I declare this the best sandalwood-thread ever. Seriously, it should be like stored somewhere.

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    Hi Vagas and Coleman!

Thanks for the great info! I have to confess I've never tried any fragrances from Caswell-Massey. Especially, Tricorn sounds very interesting! I'm very curious what Bangalore sandalwood smells like. I could not find any on ebay but visited their website (www.caswellmassey.com) and ordered a bottle of each cologne (it's a relief that they're not that expensive)..... *Thanks again!

VV
    You're welcome, V.V.! *Hope you enjoy both. *I haven't tried the Sandalwood myself, but I can certainly wholeheartedly endorse Tricorn. *A superlative juice! *I think SixCats is with me on this as well. *

Duh,

I just got it. Does Santal mean Sandlewood?

Steven :-?

Has anyone tried Santal Room Spray (Diptyque)? It also come as a scented candle. I know it's a room spray but I'm just curious what it smells like, in comparison to Tam Dao. According to the description on Aedes, "Deep, powdery, spicy yet soft". Does it smell like generic sandalwood? Will anyone provide info? Thanks!

VV

My favorite (other) sandalwoods are (in order):

1. *Tipton Charles Sandalwood -- "smoothest" sandal I've ever sniffed! If sandal could be a creamsicle, this one's it!
    2. *C-M Tricorn
    3. *C-M Sandalwood

Tam Dao was one of my few disappointments in fragrance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    .....There must be something 'wrong' with my nose as all I smell in TD is CEDAR : *There's sandalwood in there too :??? *It reminds me off a cigar humidor lined with Spanish cedar....................not that that's 'bad' but sandalwood doesn't register in my nose.
    I totally agree. *Tam Dao's cypress/cedar is a "thief" of sandalwood just as the patchouli is a "thief of roses" in Voleur?! *But unlike VdR -- TD's pilferer leaves me ambivalent about what he leaves to drydown... *

I added more "subjective "reviews.[ch12288](the top of this thread [ch8593][ch65289]

Santal de Mysore (Serge Lutens) - revised

Sandalo (Santa Maria Novella) *

Sandalwood (Caswell-Massey)[ch12288][ch12288]
    Tricorn (Caswell-Massey) [ch12288]

Sandalo (Byblos) *

Santal (L'Orientaliste) *

Santal (Ligne St. Barth) [ch12288] *

Santal Opoponax (Maison Berdoues) *

Sandalwood (Susanne Lang) [ch12288]

Besides the fragrances already on the list above, will anyone know of any other sandalwood fragrances? I would appreciate your precious info!

VV

I just added on a small personal review of Santal (Diptyque) above.

VV

Reviews were modified a bit.

VV

I just added on my humble review of The Body Shop Snadalwood Perfume Oil above.

VV

Can't someone please send Vibrant_Violet a sample/decant of Dorissima - Narziß? I only have one sample myself which I hold very close to my heart. Marlen just updated with a nice review of it: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/1441115.html

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Can't someone please send Vibrant_Violet a sample/decant of Dorissima - Narziß? I only have one sample myself which I hold very close to my heart. Marlen just updated with a nice review of it: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/1441115.html
    I've got a Narziß sample from Luckyscent and it is really nice.The sandalwood on it indeed is outstanding, although a little flowery.

I have not yet decided if it is worth the price tag. I have good friends in Germany so maybe I will acquire a bottle through them.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se męle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Hey Sandalwood!

I remember obtaining some samples from luckyscent a little while ago, and one of them was Narziß (Dorissima). I believe I included Narziß because I was looking for something woody in general (not sandalwoody, necessarily) and some basenoters described this fragrance as "Incredible!". Well, frankly speaking, it did not catch my attention at all. I vaguely remember its citrus-greenish-somewhat-spicey top with cedar-woody and vetiver-warm-and-dry core. But sandalwood, if any, did not catch my attention. Or maybe as Marlen did, I should have waited for the drydown on my skin.... My problem in general is whenever I smell "herbal-green + sandaldood" or "citrus + sandalwood", I cannot help seeing the inevitable genericness because most of the time sandawood ends up being "one of the ingredients" and does not stand out as a single note..... Anyway, I should obtain some more sanples from Luckyscent again and give it another try....

By the way, did you try Santal (Florascent) yet? I haven't (they don't carry any samples at Luckyscent). I may not like the sweet pimento in its top. But Maller's description (at MakeUpAlley) "spicy sandalwood (almost like the sandalwood version of Ambre Sultan)" intrigues me. Please kindly share with us your impression on this fragrance, will you, sandalwood? Thanks!

Some basenoters commented on Yardley's Sandalwood. They still have this fragrance on their website, and I just wonder if they really discontinued this fragrance.... Do you have any comments on this one?

VV

Hi Vibrant_Violet !

When I ordered my Narziß sample I ordered another different 16 samples as well and I realized that they didn't have Florascent samples available, then I asked the costumer care lady and she said she will include a Florascent sample as well together with my order, but at the end she didn't, thus I've not been able to test this one.

As for Yardley Sandalwood it is way too flowery and although I have a bottle of this I seldom wear it. It also smells very synthetic to me.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se męle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Hey Sandalwood!

I tried Santal (Florascent). It was a very unimpressive scent. Kind of unpleasant in a way. I added my brief review above!

And as for Narziss, I found it sort of flowery-woody. But the flowery part is so cheerful and loud (and kind of feminine) that you have to wait quite a long time before you get to the woody base. It's an interesting scent. but I was not impressed at all...

VV

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

I added some more reviews including La Contessa, Pick-Me-Up Colone Sandalwood and Santal (Florascent) above.

VV

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant_Violet
    Reveiws being revised....
    Hey V_V, I miss having access to your sandalwood reviews. They serve as a FAQ on sandalwood for me and I value them as a resource. Hope they appear again soon!

Hi Whitebar;

I took my reviews away because the more sandalwoods I sniffed, the more I realized how little I knew about sandalwood, and I could not help feeling a constant urge to revise my reviews. Also, considering the responsibility that comes with presenting personal reviews, the last thing I wish for would be to provide some wrong info to other basenoters. And there are a lot of typos and misspelling (sorry, it's not my primary language). I have not revised them yet, but let me post the unrevised one back for now. I will revise them as soon as I can.

VV