Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

I got a part of a split bottle (split) of pure Mysore Sandalwood oil (thats the claim) that came from Pierre Montale, from a many years old stored stash procured at his Paris shop. It is very nice to smell from time to time but I don't enjoy wearing this pure oil as much as a sandalwood perfume that has more development Santal 33 for example or SL Santal de Mysore. Remarkable for how gentle and subdued the scent of the pure oil is. It radiates a sparkling sandalwood scent with a finer creamy wood scent that it is built upon. No harshness, no cedar, pineal or redwood smells. It is easy to see why it was used as a base for so many other formulations back in the day. Doesn't develop much. I have half a dozen other sandalwood oils too, some are supposedly Mysore, but none match this Pierre Montale "treasure". I am sure some other Basenotes members also got a bottle of this one @ 5 yrs ago, maybe longer.

Basenotes Institution

I got a tiny sample of that Montale stuff too (a BN friend participated in that split). I agree - it was fantastic! I would love more but supposedly Montale isn't selling it anymore - right?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think you can only buy L'Arbre at the IUNX counter in Hotel Costes - a friend picked mine up there for me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I wore Iunx L’Arbre again today. It has a very nice sandalwood note, just as I remembered. And unfortunately, is rather short (3.5-4 hrs), also as I remembered.

What I did not recall was how salty, almost briny, is the sandalwood in this one. It comes through unmistakeably when one sniffs the sprayer. It also tends to make my mouth water a bit, as do some other fragrances with a salty note. Very good stuff, even if short...
    I don't remember that salty note. I look forward to sampling it again, I'm gonna have to buy a bigger decant of it from StC also. I can't afford a full bottle from France.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2014 at 03:21 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't remember that salty note. I look forward to sampling it again, I'm gonna have to buy a bigger decant of it from StC also. I can't afford a full bottle from France.
    StC is out of stock. Told me yesterday they won't have more until they are next in Paris in June!

Although it is not a soliwood, LM Parfums' Hard Leather has a beautiful, clear sandalwood note. According to some reviews, it is mysore sandalwood, although I certainly wouldn't know.
    A must try for sandalwood fans, I would think.

I've been sort of lukewarm on most sandalwood scents that I've tried in the past, including Santal Noble among others. I finally got a hold of a bottle of Creed Santal Imperial today, and I must say ... this is what I've been looking for.

Xerjoff Richwood

Basenotes Institution

StC is out of stock. Told me yesterday they won't have more until they are next in Paris in June!
    Although it is not a soliwood, LM Parfums' Hard Leather has a beautiful, clear sandalwood note. According to some reviews, it is mysore sandalwood, although I certainly wouldn't know.
    A must try for sandalwood fans, I would think.
    Oh wow. I have been considering asking someone I know, in Paris, to buy a bottle of L'Arbre & I might do a bottle split on it. I have to figure out if I can follow through on that.

Would have never thought of that HL scent as sandalwood prominent. I thought it was uber-skanky?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh wow. I have been considering asking someone I know, in Paris, to buy a bottle of L'Arbre & I might do a bottle split on it. I have to figure out if I can follow through on that.

Would have never thought of that HL scent as sandalwood prominent. I thought it was uber-skanky?
    it does have some skank, in the early going, which seems to be more or less attached to the leather. Horsey leather. Even then, it is not a particularly powerful skank, As these things go (less than MKK, for example. Anyway, does not get in the way of the Sanderwood. It's a nice combo, in fact.

Edit: Someone buy me a beer! I just recorded post 500.
    Last edited by james1051; 25th March 2014 at 11:25 PM.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

if you decide to split that L'Abre, remember your sandalwood brothers up here in FTL :-)

sandalwood with some skank? i might have to look into that Hard Leather.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    if you decide to split that L'Abre, remember your sandalwood brothers up here in FTL :-)...
    Sandalwood brothers lol

Represent!!!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Mike -- meet you in the alley behind Babalu on Lincoln Road Mall for the "sandalwood deals"

I've been loving sandalwood lately. Currently debating between Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble and Chanel Egoiste. I've never tried the MpG...but I am absolutely in love with the warm facets of Egoiste. Which is the king of the warm and rich? Should I just go with Egoiste?
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Would love that, but anything under $200/bottle is so hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Yes!! Or better yet, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, the mythical and long ago discontinued masterpiece. I'll send you a sample.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've been loving sandalwood lately. Currently debating between Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble and Chanel Egoiste. I've never tried the MpG...but I am absolutely in love with the warm facets of Egoiste. Which is the king of the warm and rich? Should I just go with Egoiste?
    The coffee note in SN was challenging for me.

Funny, I love Egoiste but not really for its 'sandalwood' warm and rich facets. I always think of it as a fruity spicy oriental.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Funny, I love Egoiste but not really for its 'sandalwood' warm and rich facets. I always think of it as a fruity spicy oriental.
    Exactly!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    ― Isaac Asimov

To me Egoiste is deeply warm and nutty woods and amber with spicy/floral/tobacco undertones. Maybe it wears differently in the weather? I usually reach for my small splash sample in the winter months (in Chicago that translates to anywhere from -20 to 30F.) I need to buy a bottle soon.

Tonight I am trying another sandalwood scent, House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc.
    Notes list from the perfumer:

Sandalwood absolute, massoia lactone*, our exclusive boutique distilled Hawaiian vanilla, chai spices, butter, special reserve vintage musk

This is a gourmand scent, which is a group that usually runs too sweet for me. This scent, however, is not overly sweet, and has a pretty sandalwood note. Its very milky and buttery, if you like that. And has a dash of salt. All natural, from this house. Not my favorite sandalwood, but a worthwhile one.

Bohemian Black has the best sandalwood out of the fragrances I've tried in House of Matriarch. Agree with your breakdown of Coco Blanc. It's like spicy white chocolate milk with woody undertones.

Tonight I am trying another sandalwood scent, House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc.
    Notes list from the perfumer:

Sandalwood absolute, massoia lactone*, our exclusive boutique distilled Hawaiian vanilla, chai spices, butter, special reserve vintage musk

This is a gourmand scent, which is a group that usually runs too sweet for me. This scent, however, is not overly sweet, and has a pretty sandalwood note. Its very milky and buttery, if you like that. And has a dash of salt. All natural, from this house. Not my favorite sandalwood, but a worthwhile one.

Still searching...

After getting Tam Dao EdP last week and wearing it a few times...have to say that's it for me. We'll see if I can find something to dethrone that.

Perhaps Creed Original Santal

After getting Tam Dao EdP last week and wearing it a few times...have to say that's it for me. We'll see if I can find something to dethrone that.
    Yeah, Tam Dao EdP (not EdT) is up there for me, too. That, and L'Arbre (the latter being much harder to come by). But I still haven't tried the Profumo Santalum Album or his Chillum, both of which earn raves from sandalwood guys. Have to try those two.

Smile Re: Best Sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I am currently loving Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo...very fresh and very true to sandalwood.
    A nice treat for hotter climates.
    I just wear Sandalwood Essential oil and nothing else when I want Straight up Sandalwood smell....Love it!!!

I have moved on from Tam Dao and Egoiste as my favorite types of Sandalwood posted here a few years ago.

For me the best I have smelled is Vintage Extract Of Mysore Sandalwood By Crabtree & Evelyn which is long discontinued but I have managed to get a bottle. It is to my nose is a mix of Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood giving you that soft buttery woody goodness that last's several hours on my skin. It's a no frills linear Sandalwood but a beautiful showcase of the note if you love Sandalwood.

Also the new Precious Woods By April Aromatics it's a stunning blend of different Sandalwood's including the Mysore variety which is unmistakably if you have smelled it before. It's a beautiful forestry blend of Pine, Sandalwood, Myrhh and vetiver with a touch of Patchouli. Imo this scent is a Sandalwood lovers dream of a fragrance.

Tried a couple new (to me) sandalwoods recently.

First was Profumum Roma D'Ambrosia. Was a local shop with the GF a few weeks ago checking out some new things from different houses and was making my way through the PR lineup. We both like sandalwoods and once she sniffed this, it was love at first sight and she had to have it. I would describe it as basically a creamy, slightly sweet sandalwood/fig duo. Not cloyingly goumand like so many other PR scents, but a good balance of woodyness and creamy richness from the fig. Absolutely nuclear strength too. Projection was excellent, but not too much, however, longevity was BEASTLY. I'd try tell you how long it lasts, but its better measured in halflife and so far the collar of that jacket is still projecting projecting too proudly to say its died off yet.

Next was a Kilian freebie, Sacred Wood. A simple sandalwood composition of santal and milk (really!). Yes, it is slightly lactonic and creamy, but not in any offensive way. Very mild, natural and well done and perhaps a bit understated, especially compared to the d'ambrosia. Projection was average, but again, beastly longevity.

Both are worth checking out if you are able to get samples of each.

Basenotes Plus

I love this thread -- keeping it alive!

Just got a nice sample of vintage C&E Extract of Mysore Sandalwood, and it is DELICIOUS. There is a nice floral element in the top notes and opening, but the heart and drydown is just sweet wonderful mysore sandalwood. I probably should have not sampled this, as I will be surfing ebay looking for a vintage bottle. saw one for $250, but I am not THAT crazy about it......yet

And -- the woman I am dating is from India and is over there now, she picked me up a 5 ml bottle of the real thing at the state run Karnataka store. She is bringing it back soon, and I look forward to smelling the pure oil. But I am pretty sure it will be somewhat "fresh" and new smelling. Can't wait to try it however, and compare it to the wonderful fragrances I already have like LV Sandolo, Tam Dao EdP, C&E Mysore, and others.

I love this thread -- keeping it alive!

And -- the woman I am dating is from India and is over there now, she picked me up a 5 ml bottle of the real thing at the state run Karnataka store. She is bringing it back soon, and I look forward to smelling the pure oil. But I am pretty sure it will be somewhat "fresh" and new smelling. Can't wait to try it however, and compare it to the wonderful fragrances I already have like LV Sandolo, Tam Dao EdP, C&E Mysore, and others.
    Please - come back here and tell us what the Karnataka oil is like! I've been hunting for an online source of this, but coming up empty. I bought the Karnataka soap, and I'm disappointed. It's nice and "soapy", but I'm not getting any significant sandalwood hit...

Donimo

Basenotes Plus

Yes - the only way to buy the oil is to visit the store in person. I will be writing up my thoughts on it soon, she gets back next week! I also have a ml reserved for a couple of members here (like Mike perez ) to get their feedback as well.

If I really like the oil, I am going to have her buy me a large bottle on her next visit.

I am still basking in the C&E mysore right now. It's really really good, and has easily outshined my beloved tam Dao EdP. It will be interesting to compare the C&E with the Karnataka mysore oil!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Ok, the mythical mysore oil has arrived. I had prepared myself to be underwhelmed and disappointed. But I was wrong...

This stuff is delicious!

I have worn it today as my only fragrance. Not much projection or sillage, but it has really good longevity, I put it on at 7 am and it is still fragrant at 6 pm.

The smell? Delicious. It has a smooth spicey almost cinnamon element to it. The oil itself has a nice consistency and it will be a lot of fun to layer it with other fragrances that feature sandalwood.

The top notes are very woody, but after the first hour it settles down into that deep, nutty, delicious sandalwood we all love.

The only legitimate source of the mysore oil is Karnataka Industries. And they retail it in their own stores throughout India called "Cauvery", the Karnataka State Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited.

It comes in a blue velvet bag, with a cool little flyer about the oil and it's uses. A quote: "sandalwood oil is the queen of all essential oils, a pale yellow viscous liquid with th lingering fragrance par excellance."

Indeed - and now my tam Dao EdP is a pale second to this gorgeous oil. I just reapplied it now to experience it again. It's wonderful :-)

Basenotes Plus

Before I get deluged with PMs - I only got a small 5 ml bottle this time, and 3 ml of that is already promised to people. However, in September my girl is going back to India and is bringing me a larger bottle, perhaps a couple of them - so when that happens, I will be glad to send a sample to a few BN'ers that want to taste it. When I get the larger bottle, I will make a post in the "giveaway" thread and send out a few samples then....so wait until September and then maybe I will be able to share some with a few of you. I will not sell it, just share it :-)

Kilian - Sacred Wood is one of the best creamy sandalwood fragrances available on the market in the vein of Tam Dao.

Basenotes Institution

Congrats STARGARDEN. Real Mysore is such a treat. I have worn it several times. In fact I have a tiny 1 ml of it that I was gifted a month or so ago from a woman who was an aromatherapy vendor and it's nice and aged and smelled fantastic. I mixed it with some scentfree hand lotion since you really shouldn't put the oil directly on skin and it lasted and lasted all day. Creamy, slightly milky, woody, resinous - amazing.

-- Eckhart Tolle

t_57.jpg

The benchmark for me is the Mysore Sandalwood oil/extract from 1930's that I recently acquired. I have owned fragrances like Vintage MPG Santal Noble, Creed Bois de Santal but they all pale in comparison to this beauty.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by worthy_sam View Post
    t_57.jpg

The benchmark for me is the Mysore Sandalwood oil/extract from 1930's that I recently acquired. I have owned fragrances like Vintage MPG Santal Noble, Creed Bois de Santal but they all pale in comparison to this beauty.
    You lucky dog

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JonF View Post
    Tried a couple new (to me) sandalwoods recently.

First was Profumum Roma D'Ambrosia. Was a local shop with the GF a few weeks ago checking out some new things from different houses and was making my way through the PR lineup. We both like sandalwoods and once she sniffed this, it was love at first sight and she had to have it. I would describe it as basically a creamy, slightly sweet sandalwood/fig duo. Not cloyingly goumand like so many other PR scents, but a good balance of woodyness and creamy richness from the fig. Absolutely nuclear strength too. Projection was excellent, but not too much, however, longevity was BEASTLY. I'd try tell you how long it lasts, but its better measured in halflife and so far the collar of that jacket is still projecting projecting too proudly to say its died off yet.
    I thought this was much more fig prominent, I didn't realize it was also sandalwood prominent.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Ok, the mythical mysore oil has arrived.

The smell? Delicious. It has a smooth spicey almost cinnamon element to it. The oil itself has a nice consistency and it will be a lot of fun to layer it with other fragrances that feature sandalwood.

The top notes are very woody, but after the first hour it settles down into that deep, nutty, delicious sandalwood we all love.

It comes in a blue velvet bag, with a cool little flyer about the oil and it's uses. A quote: "sandalwood oil is the queen of all essential oils, a pale yellow viscous liquid with th lingering fragrance par excellance."

Congrats...I have the tiny 5 ml bottle bought from Cauvery Bangalore store...

Here's a funny thing - when I tested it after purchase on skin it was a bit herbal medicinal and camphorish and not much of that typical drydown ...thought I had got a bad sample or such ...

after a few months when I tried it again now I can detect the creaminess somewhat...though the camphorish vibe is still there...it fades gradually over an hour or so and the creamy, woody and dreamy typical sandalwood smell starts coming to the top and that lingers ...soothing, meditative and calming!

Seems like even a short time aging helps it somewhat?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by blackheart2925; 16th June 2014 at 07:03 PM.

Tokyo milk #52 has such marvelous sandalwood note in the composition ...wow it's nice
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Tokyo milk #52 has such marvelous sandalwood note in the composition ...wow it's nice
    That's the one titled Sugar Sugar? With the cupcake on the bottle?

-- Eckhart Tolle

WOW!!! I'm super jealous. What an amazing pick-up.

Quote Originally Posted by worthy_sam View Post
    t_57.jpg

I am amused by the posts in this thread. I belong to the Mysore region of Karnataka and i really don't seem to care for the sandalwood notes in my fragrances at all. Maybe its because growing up, i was always surrounded by the scent of sandalwood - sandalwood incense, soaps, talc powders, room fresheners and what have you. My mother used to keep sachets of powdered pure sandalwood in my wardrobe and i was sick of my clothes smelling of sandalwood because of that. (She still keeps such sachets in her wardrobes and her clothes still smell of sandalwood). There is a two feet tall sandalwood sculpture in my house that is fragrant to this day (Its about 30 years old). So, yeah, it was 'sandalwood, sandalwood everywhere..'.

Also, womenfolk in my household have always ground sandalwood to a paste and used it as face pack for its medicinal and anti-septic properties. (Admittedly, i have tried it too during my teenage years) Traditionally, the paste is held sacred and applied as 'tilak' too. For those interested to know, a block of sandalwood is ground to a paste with a few drops of water on a grainy stone bloc like this :chandan-pata-DC17_l.jpg

Still, if you are a fan of sandalwood, i believe nothing can beat the original Mysore sandal oil. As stargarden mentioned, the only legitimate source of the Mysore oil is Karnataka State Handicrafts Development Corporation Limited, which strictly retails it in its own stores throughout India called "Cauvery".
    It comes in a velvet bag like this and costs locally about $25 for 5ml.
    P501122(600).jpg

I wish i could find a fragrance note that i enjoy as much as you guys enjoy sandalwood.

Darsh, you're living in sandalwood heaven! I'm a bit jealous.

The KSDL sandalwood oil now comes in a blue velvet bag not red...still quite cheap and though it maynot have a high aging its still pretty good.

As aside, KSDL also sells a 12ml Sandalwood attar which for the cheap price, is surprisingly decent...the creamy sandalwood smell seems to be there right on top and lasts around 4 hours or so...guess its synthetic but for the price its an awesome deal

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Chillum by AbdesSalaam Attar/La via del profumo has a terrific (real) sandalwood heart.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Chillum by AbdesSalaam Attar/La via del profumo has a terrific (real) sandalwood heart.
    Yes, also AbdesSalaam Attar Muschio di Quercia is an exceptional sandalwood, I don't forget also Sandalo Etro (one of the best ever), Lutens Santal Majuscule, Bois de Santal Keiko Mecheri, Woods and Spices Montale, Fulgor by Cale' and Sandalo Villoresi.

I wish there were retail outlets via US channels. I've been putting off a purchase for way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    Yes, also AbdesSalaam Attar Muschio di Quercia is an exceptional sandalwood, I don't forget also Sandalo Etro (one of the best ever), Lutens Santal Majuscule, Bois de Santal Keiko Mecheri, Woods and Spices Montale, Fulgor by Cale' and Sandalo Villoresi.

You lucky dog
    WOW!!! I'm super jealous. What an amazing pick-up.
    Thanks Mike and rynegne, I still can't believe my luck.

PSA--StC has Iunx L'Arbre back in stock!

PS, I notice that L'Arbre does not have an entry in the BN Directory. How does that happen?

Basenotes Institution

PSA--StC has Iunx L'Arbre back in stock!
    Ah! Thanks for the tip

-- Eckhart Tolle

I'm excited to try Chilum, which is now available via split from strifeknot. Looking forward to seeing where it ranks among the other sandalwood fragrances I've tried!

I love my Chanel Bois Des Iles parfum. It's an ethereal fragrance.

What about the Serge Lutens sandalwood fragrances?
    Santal de Mysore, Santal Majuscule, Santal Blanc.
    Can someone pls describe the differences.
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre

Vintage Egoiste is the best sandalwood frag.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Thanks, Remik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    * Serge Lutens rules *
    Fille en Aiguilles & Gris Clair & Fleurs d'Oranger & Tubereuse Criminelle & Sarrasins & Fumerie Turque & A la Nuit & Santal Majuscule & Sa Majeste la Rose & Five O'Clock Au Gingembre