Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

I got a part of a split bottle (split) of pure Mysore Sandalwood oil (thats the claim) that came from Pierre Montale, from a many years old stored stash procured at his Paris shop. It is very nice to smell from time to time but I don't enjoy wearing this pure oil as much as a sandalwood perfume that has more development Santal 33 for example or SL Santal de Mysore. Remarkable for how gentle and subdued the scent of the pure oil is. It radiates a sparkling sandalwood scent with a finer creamy wood scent that it is built upon. No harshness, no cedar, pineal or redwood smells. It is easy to see why it was used as a base for so many other formulations back in the day. Doesn't develop much. I have half a dozen other sandalwood oils too, some are supposedly Mysore, but none match this Pierre Montale "treasure". I am sure some other Basenotes members also got a bottle of this one @ 5 yrs ago, maybe longer.

Basenotes Institution

I got a tiny sample of that Montale stuff too (a BN friend participated in that split). I agree - it was fantastic! I would love more but supposedly Montale isn't selling it anymore - right?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think you can only buy L'Arbre at the IUNX counter in Hotel Costes - a friend picked mine up there for me.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I wore Iunx L’Arbre again today. It has a very nice sandalwood note, just as I remembered. And unfortunately, is rather short (3.5-4 hrs), also as I remembered.

What I did not recall was how salty, almost briny, is the sandalwood in this one. It comes through unmistakeably when one sniffs the sprayer. It also tends to make my mouth water a bit, as do some other fragrances with a salty note. Very good stuff, even if short...
    I don't remember that salty note. I look forward to sampling it again, I'm gonna have to buy a bigger decant of it from StC also. I can't afford a full bottle from France.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2014 at 02:21 PM.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I don't remember that salty note. I look forward to sampling it again, I'm gonna have to buy a bigger decant of it from StC also. I can't afford a full bottle from France.
    StC is out of stock. Told me yesterday they won't have more until they are next in Paris in June!

Although it is not a soliwood, LM Parfums' Hard Leather has a beautiful, clear sandalwood note. According to some reviews, it is mysore sandalwood, although I certainly wouldn't know.
    A must try for sandalwood fans, I would think.

I've been sort of lukewarm on most sandalwood scents that I've tried in the past, including Santal Noble among others. I finally got a hold of a bottle of Creed Santal Imperial today, and I must say ... this is what I've been looking for.

Xerjoff Richwood

Basenotes Institution

StC is out of stock. Told me yesterday they won't have more until they are next in Paris in June!
    Although it is not a soliwood, LM Parfums' Hard Leather has a beautiful, clear sandalwood note. According to some reviews, it is mysore sandalwood, although I certainly wouldn't know.
    A must try for sandalwood fans, I would think.
    Oh wow. I have been considering asking someone I know, in Paris, to buy a bottle of L'Arbre & I might do a bottle split on it. I have to figure out if I can follow through on that.

Would have never thought of that HL scent as sandalwood prominent. I thought it was uber-skanky?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh wow. I have been considering asking someone I know, in Paris, to buy a bottle of L'Arbre & I might do a bottle split on it. I have to figure out if I can follow through on that.

Would have never thought of that HL scent as sandalwood prominent. I thought it was uber-skanky?
    it does have some skank, in the early going, which seems to be more or less attached to the leather. Horsey leather. Even then, it is not a particularly powerful skank, As these things go (less than MKK, for example. Anyway, does not get in the way of the Sanderwood. It's a nice combo, in fact.

Edit: Someone buy me a beer! I just recorded post 500.
    Last edited by james1051; 25th March 2014 at 10:25 PM.

Last edited by OPomone; 25th April 2014 at 08:38 PM.

Basenotes Plus

if you decide to split that L'Abre, remember your sandalwood brothers up here in FTL :-)

sandalwood with some skank? i might have to look into that Hard Leather.
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    if you decide to split that L'Abre, remember your sandalwood brothers up here in FTL :-)...
    Sandalwood brothers lol

Represent!!!

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Mike -- meet you in the alley behind Babalu on Lincoln Road Mall for the "sandalwood deals"

I've been loving sandalwood lately. Currently debating between Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble and Chanel Egoiste. I've never tried the MpG...but I am absolutely in love with the warm facets of Egoiste. Which is the king of the warm and rich? Should I just go with Egoiste?
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Would love that, but anything under $200/bottle is so hard to find!

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Yes!! Or better yet, Egoiste Cologne Concentree, the mythical and long ago discontinued masterpiece. I'll send you a sample.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I've been loving sandalwood lately. Currently debating between Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble and Chanel Egoiste. I've never tried the MpG...but I am absolutely in love with the warm facets of Egoiste. Which is the king of the warm and rich? Should I just go with Egoiste?
    The coffee note in SN was challenging for me.

Funny, I love Egoiste but not really for its 'sandalwood' warm and rich facets. I always think of it as a fruity spicy oriental.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Funny, I love Egoiste but not really for its 'sandalwood' warm and rich facets. I always think of it as a fruity spicy oriental.
    Exactly!
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

To me Egoiste is deeply warm and nutty woods and amber with spicy/floral/tobacco undertones. Maybe it wears differently in the weather? I usually reach for my small splash sample in the winter months (in Chicago that translates to anywhere from -20 to 30F.) I need to buy a bottle soon.
    MadHat Scents

Tonight I am trying another sandalwood scent, House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc.
    Notes list from the perfumer:

Sandalwood absolute, massoia lactone*, our exclusive boutique distilled Hawaiian vanilla, chai spices, butter, special reserve vintage musk

This is a gourmand scent, which is a group that usually runs too sweet for me. This scent, however, is not overly sweet, and has a pretty sandalwood note. Its very milky and buttery, if you like that. And has a dash of salt. All natural, from this house. Not my favorite sandalwood, but a worthwhile one.

Bohemian Black has the best sandalwood out of the fragrances I've tried in House of Matriarch. Agree with your breakdown of Coco Blanc. It's like spicy white chocolate milk with woody undertones.

Tonight I am trying another sandalwood scent, House of Matriarch's Coco Blanc.
    Notes list from the perfumer:

Sandalwood absolute, massoia lactone*, our exclusive boutique distilled Hawaiian vanilla, chai spices, butter, special reserve vintage musk

This is a gourmand scent, which is a group that usually runs too sweet for me. This scent, however, is not overly sweet, and has a pretty sandalwood note. Its very milky and buttery, if you like that. And has a dash of salt. All natural, from this house. Not my favorite sandalwood, but a worthwhile one.
    MadHat Scents

Still searching...

After getting Tam Dao EdP last week and wearing it a few times...have to say that's it for me. We'll see if I can find something to dethrone that.
    MadHat Scents

Perhaps Creed Original Santal

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    After getting Tam Dao EdP last week and wearing it a few times...have to say that's it for me. We'll see if I can find something to dethrone that.
    Yeah, Tam Dao EdP (not EdT) is up there for me, too. That, and L'Arbre (the latter being much harder to come by). But I still haven't tried the Profumo Santalum Album or his Chillum, both of which earn raves from sandalwood guys. Have to try those two.

Smile Re: Best Sandalwood

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I am currently loving Adolfo Dominguez's Agua de Sandalo...very fresh and very true to sandalwood.
    A nice treat for hotter climates.
    I just wear Sandalwood Essential oil and nothing else when I want Straight up Sandalwood smell....Love it!!!

I have moved on from Tam Dao and Egoiste as my favorite types of Sandalwood posted here a few years ago.

For me the best I have smelled is Vintage Extract Of Mysore Sandalwood By Crabtree & Evelyn which is long discontinued but I have managed to get a bottle. It is to my nose is a mix of Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood giving you that soft buttery woody goodness that last's several hours on my skin. It's a no frills linear Sandalwood but a beautiful showcase of the note if you love Sandalwood.

Also the new Precious Woods By April Aromatics it's a stunning blend of different Sandalwood's including the Mysore variety which is unmistakably if you have smelled it before. It's a beautiful forestry blend of Pine, Sandalwood, Myrhh and vetiver with a touch of Patchouli. Imo this scent is a Sandalwood lovers dream of a fragrance.

Tried a couple new (to me) sandalwoods recently.

First was Profumum Roma D'Ambrosia. Was a local shop with the GF a few weeks ago checking out some new things from different houses and was making my way through the PR lineup. We both like sandalwoods and once she sniffed this, it was love at first sight and she had to have it. I would describe it as basically a creamy, slightly sweet sandalwood/fig duo. Not cloyingly goumand like so many other PR scents, but a good balance of woodyness and creamy richness from the fig. Absolutely nuclear strength too. Projection was excellent, but not too much, however, longevity was BEASTLY. I'd try tell you how long it lasts, but its better measured in halflife and so far the collar of that jacket is still projecting projecting too proudly to say its died off yet.

Next was a Kilian freebie, Sacred Wood. A simple sandalwood composition of santal and milk (really!). Yes, it is slightly lactonic and creamy, but not in any offensive way. Very mild, natural and well done and perhaps a bit understated, especially compared to the d'ambrosia. Projection was average, but again, beastly longevity.

Both are worth checking out if you are able to get samples of each.

Basenotes Plus

I love this thread -- keeping it alive!

Just got a nice sample of vintage C&E Extract of Mysore Sandalwood, and it is DELICIOUS. There is a nice floral element in the top notes and opening, but the heart and drydown is just sweet wonderful mysore sandalwood. I probably should have not sampled this, as I will be surfing ebay looking for a vintage bottle. saw one for $250, but I am not THAT crazy about it......yet

And -- the woman I am dating is from India and is over there now, she picked me up a 5 ml bottle of the real thing at the state run Karnataka store. She is bringing it back soon, and I look forward to smelling the pure oil. But I am pretty sure it will be somewhat "fresh" and new smelling. Can't wait to try it however, and compare it to the wonderful fragrances I already have like LV Sandolo, Tam Dao EdP, C&E Mysore, and others.