Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Sandalwood

Default Re: Best Sandalwood

my favourites: Body Shop's Samarkand and the Art of Shaving's Sandalwood (in the drydown)...

Bois des Iles Chanel
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garons man 2

Cosaque by Galimard

Richwood by Xerjoff

Tam Dao and the Sandalwood in Egoiste.

The Art Of Shaving wins hands down.

no idea, but it's one of my favorite notes

MPG's Santal Noble!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

If you want pure sandalwood you go with Tam Dao. If you want the best sandalwood fragrance you go with Santal Noble.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

That "Creed note" you picked up is an accord that, as far as I can smell, is used as the base for every one of their frags. It consists mostly of Ambergris. Creed is the most overrated fragrance house today. The sickly sweet whale butt note is the only thing I can smell in any of their juice, except green Irish tweed, which I own.

Call it a room spray, but Tam Dao is my signature, and I get daily complements on it. Even reformulated it is awesome.

Egoiste vintage preferably, Amouage Sandal Attar are good, but my fav still has & is MPeG's Santal Noble - have been eyeing a vintage version, might end up spending the $ to get the beauty soon...

I've been enjoying LeLabo's Santal 33 lately. It took a while, but I've grown to like it quite a bit. That's my favorite sandalwood right now; not because it is more accurate to Mysore Sandalwood, nobody really knows what that is anymore, but I just like how the blend smells.

My favourite - Cauvery Handicrafts Mysore Sandalwood Attar (both varities) a tola costs less than $5 and its kind of 'thin' but wet and lasts for only about 3-4 hours but awesome specially on a breezy day!

Yes they probably used a tiny, tiny bit of original mysore sandalwood oil, and that too not anything high quality but for the price its awesome...very calm and soothing and a little of that soapy sandalwood smell and decent projection.

My favourite is to apply a lot of that attar and then go for a ride on a bus or car with windows open...basically anywhere the breeze has a chance to blow and lift the scent molecules...for me is is a comfort scent very nice on the evening's after a hectic day at work.

Got to try a bottle of the MPG Santal Noble, have high hopes for that.

P.S. anybody knows where I can buy some Le Labor perfumes for shipping to India? Their international site is unfortunately not able to ship spirit based perfumes to my country only the oil based ones :-( no idea if the oils are more similar to attars or more like body oils ?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    My favourite - Cauvery Handicrafts Mysore Sandalwood Attar (both varities) a tola costs less than $5 and its kind of 'thin' but wet and lasts for only about 3-4 hours but awesome specially on a breezy day!
    Yes, this is indeed good, used it a lot when I was in India - but I strongly recommend Santal Noble in vintage formulation...There are many differences between attars & parfums & SN captures sandalwood the best on the parfums imho...

Best of all time was a 1920s extract I smelled. Second best is Creed Bois de Santal. Best extant sandalwood is Villoresi's Sandalo.

Laboratorio Olfattivo Cozumel.a smooth, warm, rich samdalwood that is everything I've wanted from that note. Like the Oud Wood of santal.

Profumum Santalum is awesome juice.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Best of all time was a 1920s extract I smelled. Second best is Creed Bois de Santal. Best extant sandalwood is Villoresi's Sandalo.
    I just got a bottle of LV Sandolo, and it is indeed quite good (thanks Daverasi) -- it's sort of like a higher powered Tam Dao. a bit spicier and very very rich. but I don't get more than 3 hours of longevity. however, those 3 hours are blissful.....

Santal Noble.

The best sandalwood I have smelled outside Japanese incense is Vintage Extract Of Mysore Sandalwood by Crabtree & Evelyn. I managed to get a rare bottle of this off ebay and it smells wonderful . It has a soft buttery sandalwood smell and though it's linear I find it addictive and really like to spray myself all over when I wear this one. Lovely.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 11th March 2014 at 01:23 PM.

My favourite would have to be Villoresi's Sandalo having gone on a very long journey to find the ultimate Sandalwood scent. If this ever gets reformulated, I would get annoyed beyond belief.

That said, Santal Noble is a very respectable one too, as is Tam Dao (although the cedar in that is a bit annoying). There are many more as well.

Tam Dao EDT is still basically a cedar wood but their recent Tam Dao EDP is an exceptionally good rendition of what Mysore Sandalwood actually smells like. I hope they rework the EDT - I believe it was better when it was launched and then progressively degenerated into what is out there now.

Now that the Oz harvest of Santalum Album is commercially available I would love to see some personal favorites like MPG (Santal Noble), Villoresi (Sandalo), Guerlain (Samsara) et al reformulated back to their full potential, more like the way they started out when Mysore was still available . . . these could all be improved with a slug of the real thing

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Now that the Oz harvest of Santalum Album is commercially available I would love to see some personal favorites like MPG (Santal Noble), Villoresi (Sandalo), Guerlain (Samsara) et al reformulated back to their full potential, more like the way they started out when Mysore was still available . . . these could all be improved with a slug of the real thing
    Isn't Villoresi's Sandalo meant to be one of very few that still have the real thing in it?

Can't say for sure, rum. It's certainly possible and I enjoy it (wore it just a few nights ago) but after the opening it settles pretty quickly into a very mild accord that feels quite transparent to me so if he is still working with a stash of the old stuff then my guess would be that it's fairly thinly spread. That's not to say it isn't there BUT, like several 'sandalwood' fragrances that people like, it's the opening has that sandalwood hit, not the back end. In actual fact, it's after the first 15 - 30 minutes or so that sandalwood really reveals itself - the oil has an opening that some find unpleasant (a bit too buttery, almost greasy) so I am not so persuaded by a glorious opening. Will try to return to this discussion - leaving the office now

I think it was in the Les Senteurs store that I got into a discussion and the rep told me this one (Villoresi) and Dries van Noten by Malle are currently the only things on the market (perhaps that they sell) that contain the 'real thing'.

In any case, it certainly smells very authentic although Villoresi has cleverly thrown in rosewood and opoponax (sweet myrrh) to enhance it. I get a lot of these other notes in the opening. I quite agree though, the Sandalwood note doesn't last as much, but it lingers on clothes quite a bit. I only wish I could have got a larger bottle of this stuff, rather than the tiny 50ml - I find I tend to over-spray it quite a bit so that I can get it to last. Seems to work.

I think you also have a good point about the buttery feel of the note. My parents for one can't stand it, although my father loved the note blended in other perfumes.

Just got home and blasted some on for a revisit Beautiful, and no discordant synth notes in sight - there's no overt sandalwood but it's such a seamless piece of work that it wouldn't surprise me if it's there as a subtle player. Will spend more time with this. I love his work, esp.Uomo, Colonia and the weird and wonderful Yerbamate. I met him 2 years ago in Shanghai and we talked about a lot of things but never got onto the Mysore discussion.

I love Dries van Noten (my SOTD) and Olivia Giacobetti's recent L'Arbre (IUNX) is a great, simple (and pricy) EDC rendition of mysore with a hint of immortelle (I think) to hold it steady for the first few minutes. Tam Dao EDP is really nice too . . . things are definitely looking up!

Tam Dao EDT is still basically a cedar wood but their recent Tam Dao EDP is an exceptionally good rendition of what Mysore Sandalwood actually smells like. I hope they rework the EDT - I believe it was better when it was launched and then progressively degenerated into what is out there now.

You got me curious now about the EDP Mr reasonable, it must be fantastic!

I don't know if it's the best one, but Iunx L'Arbre is a delicious minimalistic take on it - since the first minutes you get woody, salty and creamy nuances of mysore sandalwood mixed, i think, with some good synthetics to support it. I'm wearing this one today and i really enjoy its sophisticated subtle ellegance.

My favorite sandalwood is still MPG Santal Noble, but I prefer it during the cooler seasons.

For spring and summer, I'm a big fan of The Art of Shaving Sandalwood. I like it so much that I even bought the shaving cream and aftershave balm.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I don't know if it's the best one, but Iunx L'Arbre is a delicious minimalistic take on it - since the first minutes you get woody, salty and creamy nuances of mysore sandalwood mixed, i think, with some good synthetics to support it. I'm wearing this one today and i really enjoy its sophisticated subtle ellegance.
    I love L'Arbre also. Simple, linear, but what it does it does very well.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I think it was in the Les Senteurs store that I got into a discussion and the rep told me this one (Villoresi) and Dries van Noten by Malle are currently the only things on the market (perhaps that they sell) that contain the 'real thing'.

In any case, it certainly smells very authentic although Villoresi has cleverly thrown in rosewood and opoponax (sweet myrrh) to enhance it. I get a lot of these other notes in the opening. I quite agree though, the Sandalwood note doesn't last as much, but it lingers on clothes quite a bit. I only wish I could have got a larger bottle of this stuff, rather than the tiny 50ml - I find I tend to over-spray it quite a bit so that I can get it to last. Seems to work.

I think you also have a good point about the buttery feel of the note. My parents for one can't stand it, although my father loved the note blended in other perfumes.
    Rum, the Iunx L'Arbre, launched last year, also contain Mysore Sandalwood.

Profumo.it also has a very, very good mysore sandalwood fragrance, with tobacco and ginger. It's called chilum and it opens with a very spicy and sharp ginger, then it goes into smokey tobacco and ends in woody mysore sandalwood.

Basenotes Institution

I happen to be sitting here, at the computer, drenched in Profumo.it's Mysore Sandalwood - according to the website "This perfume is obtained blending Mysore Sandalwood essential oil with pure non denaturated organic bioalcohol". It's fantastic! Much more linear, of course, than Chillum but this stuff is the real deal. Very calming and meditative. I just came from the gym & had a hot shower and now this cloud of real sandalwood is just so darned relaxing.

The bottle looks like this:

Here's the link: http://profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191

I bought the 16 ml bottle pictured above for around $75.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I happen to be sitting here, at the computer, drenched in Profumo.it's Mysore Sandalwood - according to the website "This perfume is obtained blending Mysore Sandalwood essential oil with pure non denaturated organic bioalcohol". It's fantastic! Much more linear, of course, than Chillum but this stuff is the real deal. Very calming and meditative. I just came from the gym & had a hot shower and now this cloud of real sandalwood is just so darned relaxing.

The bottle looks like this:

Here's the link: http://profumo.it/perfume/prodotto.asp?pid=191

I bought the 16 ml bottle pictured above for around $75.
    Mike, whats the longevity like? How would you compare it to Iunx L'Arbre?

James1051, i have it, and on me it lasts, but it's very light. It's similar to the opening of Iunx L'Arbre, but i think it's more dry and salty, less milky and creamy maybe (and more linear too, since my opinion is that L'Arbre has more things going on than just plain Mysore Sandalwood)

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    James1051, i have it, and on me it lasts, but it's very light. It's similar to the opening of Iunx L'Arbre, but i think it's more dry and salty, less milky and creamy maybe (and more linear too, since my opinion is that L'Arbre has more things going on than just plain Mysore Sandalwood)
    Thanks Rick. I have a decant of the Iunx. Loved the opening, but it was all done after 2 hours. I guess that's the way it goes with this note.
    Meanwhile, sure wish both LVdP and Iunx had distributors in the States!

Basenotes Institution

I found the profumo.it and the IUNX very similar. In fact, I found the Profumo a bit more tenacious than the IUNX but this didn't surprise me since many of the IUNX are super-minimal. I will agree that the IUNX is a bit less linear than the Profumo, and more 'creamy'. Still, in terms of satisfaction, I found the Profumo much more to my liking.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I guess that's the way it goes with this note.
    Yes and no.

L'Arbre was created as an EDC and the Profumo is more like a light EDT (with no fixatives) so with both you are essentially looking at Santalum Album oil diluted in a lot of alcohol. That said, both are still evident to me after several hours - subtle, but there. I enjoy both but, like Mike, would opt for the 'straight' Profumo version if I had to choose.

Of course, if you wear the pure oil, or an Attar like the Amouage, it will last the better part of a day or so depending on various factors.

Yes and no.

L'Arbre was created as an EDC and the Profumo is more like a light EDT (with no fixatives) so with both you are essentially looking at Santalum Album oil diluted in a lot of alcohol. That said, both are still evident to me after several hours - subtle, but there. I enjoy both but, like Mike, would opt for the 'straight' Profumo version if I had to choose.

Of course, if you wear the pure oil, or an Attar like the Amouage, it will last the better part of a day or so depending on various factors.
    Mr reasonable, i'm pretty sure that the Iunx one is not only Santalum Album diluted. There is the same synthetic sandalwood there that i get on Tom Ford Santal Blush, a kind of creamy sandalwood with a fancy cosmetic touch. And i also suspect that there is a hint of patchouli on it too, after some hours of evolution. And maybe a variety of Santalum which is more dry and cedary too - i notice this by the scent that lingered on me yesterday after i took a shower.

Altough it's and EDC, my experience overdosing both is that L'Arbre remains more on skin, maybe due to the synthetics on it. Anyway, the profumo one is simply fantastic, lasting or not, and i only knew it due to your tip a time ago

Yes and no.

Having tried the Iunx, I have to try the Profumo. Had been looking at ordering a sm bottle of another Profumo frag anyway.

Of course, rickbr - L'Arbre has some ballast (all I really notice is what seems like a mild immortelle up front but she has done some sleight of hand to extend the long drydown) and Dominique Dubrana's one is the one with no fixatives and the vintage Mysore he has. He also commented in the series that ran here that the new harvest of Santalum Album from the Northern Territories in Oz is pretty good,which is extremely encouraging news!

James, La Via del Profumo line is really something. The Sandalwood EDT is lovely and there are some fascinating compositions - Balsamo della Mecca blows me away, Sharif is highly recommended around here and I now want to try Chillum. Mr. Dubrana has a Social Group here on Basenotes if you weren't aware of it.

Of course, rickbr - L'Arbre has some ballast (all I really notice is what seems like a mild immortelle up front but she has done some sleight of hand to extend the long drydown) and Dominique Dubrana's one is the one with no fixatives and the vintage Mysore he has. He also commented in the series that ran here that the new harvest of Santalum Album from the Northern Territories in Oz is pretty good,which is extremely encouraging news!

James, La Via del Profumo line is really something. The Sandalwood EDT is lovely and there are some fascinating compositions - Balsamo della Mecca blows me away, Sharif is highly recommended around here and I now want to try Chillum. Mr. Dubrana has a Social Group here on Basenotes if you weren't aware of it.
    yeah, my limited experience with Profumo frags has been very positive. Tawaf blew my socks off, best jasmine ever! I wore a sample of Sharif last night and loved it. The Mysore and Chillum are right at the top of my Try List!

How do I find the Profumo group you mentioned?

Easily Santal Noble, not because everyone mentions it, but it's actually the quintessential santal scent in my opinion.

I also quite like Bois de santal by Keiko Mecheri, and Bois 1920's Sandalo e th - if it just had a decent projection and a decent sillage (it's pure water on my skin, I can smell it for like 10 minutes before it's completely gone).
    My current top five:

Etro - Vetiver
    Etro - Patchouly
    Costume National - 21
    Herms - Equipage (vtg)
    Herms - Bel Ami (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Basenotes Plus

This is such a great thread for a sandalwood lover like myself -- but it's costing me some money

Basenotes Institution

...and I now want to try Chillum...
    It's very well done. The tobacco is strong but so is the sandalwood. I could easily see owning a bottle of this.

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    Easily Santal Noble, not because everyone mentions it, but it's actually the quintessential santal scent in my opinion.

I also quite like Bois de santal by Keiko Mecheri, and Bois 1920's Sandalo e th - if it just had a decent projection and a decent sillage (it's pure water on my skin, I can smell it for like 10 minutes before it's completely gone).
    I Guess that Sandalo e th was reformulated so, the decant i had (from three years ago) was very strong on the woody, tea and spicy aroma. And you made me remember now of another fantastic tea and sandalwood fragrance that unfortunately disappeared - Comptoir Sud Pacifique Th.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    How do I find the Profumo group you mentioned?
    Go to 'Groups' top of main page beside 'Forums' and then find 'Profumo friends' group.

Go to 'Groups' top of main page beside 'Forums' and then find 'Profumo friends' group.
    Ahh, thanks. I'll stop in.

I'm not sure, but i suspect that Neela Vermeire Ashoka also has Mysore Sandalwood. It's hard to detect at the opening with the green and milky fig aroma (which i love), but at the drydown something says to me Mysore Sandalwood. It's not an intense fragrance, but i'm loving its milky, woody and, somehow, dry aroma. Another Neela that seems perfect to me, i love her line almost entirely

Basenotes Plus

Just got a nice sample of Floris Santal yesterday, wearing it today for fun - It smells decent, but sort of synthetic and a bit "busy" for a traditional sandalwood. However, it's still appealing. 2.5 stars, lol......

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    Just got a nice sample of Floris Santal yesterday, wearing it today for fun - It smells decent, but sort of synthetic and a bit "busy" for a traditional sandalwood. However, it's still appealing. 2.5 stars, lol......
    The discontinued Sandalwood (not the Santal) is much more sandalwood prominent.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

And yet another sandalwood -- was at Sephora and sampled something from the ladies side of the fragrance aisle -- "White Sandalwood" by NEST. It was actually kind of interesting, but had a bit of a sweet syrupy accord that ended up making it smell like a bit of a mess, IMHO. Not expensive, and i did kind of like it....but perhaps not on ME. On a sexy blonde woman I could see this smelling kind of nice, though.....

how about the sandalwood in Memoir Man by Amouage?
    no great shakes but good enough..

Creeds:
    Santal Imperial
    Original Santal millesime spray

Basenotes Plus

Santal imperial
    Santalum
    Eccelso

Basenotes Plus

next up for my testing -- Casque by Galimard, after seeing it recommended by Hednic. Going to test a sample tonight!
    Last edited by stargarden; 18th March 2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: spellin'

I wore Iunx L’Arbre again today. It has a very nice sandalwood note, just as I remembered. And unfortunately, is rather short (3.5-4 hrs), also as I remembered.
    What I did not recall was how salty, almost briny, is the sandalwood in this one. It comes through unmistakeably when one sniffs the sprayer. It also tends to make my mouth water a bit, as do some other fragrances with a salty note. Very good stuff, even if short.

Speaking of short, so is my supply of L'Arbre. Anyone know of any online source for L’Arbre? StC has carried it in sample sizes in the past, but does not have it now.

Wonder why this scent does not appear in the BN Directory?

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post

Yes they probably used a tiny, tiny bit of original mysore sandalwood oil, and that too not anything high quality but for the price its awesome...very calm and soothing and a little of that soapy sandalwood smell and decent projection.

Its not 5 dollars, the synthetic one is.

My favourite is to apply a lot of that attar and then go for a ride on a bus or car with windows open...basically anywhere the breeze has a chance to blow and lift the scent molecules...for me is is a comfort scent very nice on the evening's after a hectic day at work.

Got to try a bottle of the MPG Santal Noble, have high hopes for that.

P.S. anybody knows where I can buy some Le Labor perfumes for shipping to India? Their international site is unfortunately not able to ship spirit based perfumes to my country only the oil based ones :-( no idea if the oils are more similar to attars or more like body oils ?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2
    The real one is 60-70 USD and it is sublime.
    http://www.cauveryhandicrafts.net/Pr...d-3001687.aspx
    My friend got me this one.

The synthetic one is this one:
    http://www.cauveryhandicrafts.net/Pr...d-2238201.aspx

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    The real one is 60-70 USD and it is sublime.
    http://www.cauveryhandicrafts.net/Pr...d-3001687.aspx
    My friend got me this one.

The synthetic one is this one:
    http://www.cauveryhandicrafts.net/Pr...d-2238201.aspx
    Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of this brand.

Do they ship to the US?

-- Jack Kerouac