Code of Conduct

Default SixCats! seeks suggestion for three NOTES.

Hi all,

I hope this post finds all my friends well here at Basenotes. OK...here's the deal...I am missing from my collection fragrances that are mostly PATCHOULI, SANDALWOOD and LEATHER. I have recently sampled (and am completely in LOVE/ NUTZ/BONKERS) over SANTA MARIA NOVELLA "PATCHOULI". WOW! what a MONSTER! SMN PATCHOULI is one of THE best fragrances I have EVER tried!
    If I owned SMN PATCHOULI, it would go into my TOP TEN in a Heartbeat! Sadly, my decant is g-o-n-e GONE! Also...missing from my collection is a quality SANDALWOOD and LEATHER. A long time ago, I recall sampling and VERY much liking LV SANDALO. As far as LEATHER (slap my face with a LEATHER strap!) SMN NOSTALIGA is a SixCats! fragrance for sure! So....what's the problem....well...as you may have noticed, I have EXPENSIVE taste (and not enough money) to buy ALL three items. I suppose I could (maybe) afford to buy ONE of the three I listed (in which case I would buy the SMN PATCHOULI) but...I WANT some SANDALWOOD and LEATHER fragrances in my collection. That being said...I am seeking your EXPERT opinions on which DESIGNER (i.e. LESS expensive) fragrances (PATCHOULI, LEATHER and SANDALWOOD) I might consider purchasing on-line that is a MONSTER in it's own right. Thank you for any help and/or suggestions.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: SixCats! seeks suggestion for three NOTES.

OH my, I guess I'm no good helper here suggesting Dorissima Narziß (http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...&section=1)... Quite pricey, but one of the best sandalwoods out there.

I guess I can pull a combo suggesting a leather scent I closely connect with sandalwood (I guess you can't go wrong with that one): Helmut Lang - Cuiron. You can find it cheap at discount prices right now as it is being discontinued. I think sandalwood about this one, others say leather. Go for it!

Hi SixCats,

What you need is Givenchy Gentleman! PACKED with Patchouli and leather!

Mic.

Sixcats!, it's good to see you post again.

If you haven't tried Knize Ten, you should.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

which DESIGNER (i.e. LESS expensive) fragrances (PATCHOULI, LEATHER and SANDALWOOD) I might consider purchasing on-line that is a MONSTER in it's own right. *
    I suggest Lapidus PH:
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120959.html

Top Notes
    Lemon, Pineapple

MIddle Notes
    Honey, Rose, Jasmine

Base Notes
    Sandalwood, Patchouli

This pyramid doesn't list leather but I detect that too.

available here:
    http://www.parfum1.com/perfume.asp?t...item=MLAP00495

Which reminds me - my bottle is running low, I need to acquire some more.

One reviewer has this to say:

"Sharp aromatic chypre with notes of spices, leather and patchouli. Reminds of Givenchy Gentleman. Masculine and deep (maybe even heavy) fragrance for colder temps."

by The-odor , 22 August 2003.

And another reviewer:

" ... As a fragrance the scent is rich very long lasting without being overpowering, which is surprised for in the 80's scents for both men and woman were made to be powerful. In fragrance family it follows YSL's Kouros but is so much different in smell, ... "

by Paul , 06 March 2003.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado

liquid,

Your sixcatsdj is hilarious. You certainly make things interesting around here with your quirky posting.

Sixcats,

Great to see you posting again.

For patchouli and leather, I second *Givenchy Gentleman*; although, I am pretty sure it doesn't have the sandalwood note you're looking for.

The fragrance you really want, however, that covers all of your three bases is the truly wonderful MPG heavy hitter, *Parfum d'Habit*.

Of course, there is always the inimitable *Antaeus*, which also covers all three bases.

Best regards,

scentemental

SixCats, I thought you already had Antaeus. That should pretty much
    do the trick, though there is debate about whether it really is a
    leather fragrance or not.

The aforementioned Parfum d'Habit is quirky, and I expect it would defintely
    fit your style. Sample or get a decant first, as it's pricey.

Knize Ten! Definitely. One of the best leathers ever.

For leather, try Antaeus, or if your budget allows, Creed Royal English Leather.

Nice to see your posts again SixCats!
    Too much fun with you, Liquid!!! ;D
    I second the above mentioned Chanel Antaeus as a beautiful leather&patchouli beautiful gem, and suggest also Hermes Bel Ami that blendes leather&sandalwood: another classic masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Nice to see your posts again SixCats!
    Too much fun with you, Liquid!!! ;D
    I second the above mentioned Chanel Antaeus as a beautiful leather&patchouli beautiful gem, and suggest also Hermes Bel Ami that blendes leather&sandalwood: another classic masterpiece.
    I second these two. Antaeus, refined leather and Bel Ami is all about Hermes to me. Leather and woods. mmmm!

Hi all,

Thank you ALL for your EXCELLENT suggestions! Liquid...LOL...now that's funny! Thank you for posting the DJ Kittys! It made me LOL. Guys (and Gals)...perhaps I wasn't very clear on expresssing my needs/wants. Rather than acquiring ONE (IN-expensive) fragrance (which has combined notes of SANDALWOOD, PATCHOULI and LEATHER)...I rather buy THREE (INexpensive) fragrances...that is to say...one (mostly) PATCHOULI...one (mostly) SANDALWOOD and one (mostly) LEATHER.
    SHIFTS...I have CUIRON (anyone remember CUIRON DAY!) and enjoy it now and then. My bottle is nearly empty! Whoa...is it true it is being discontinued ?
    CUIRON is a possible buy...although...I would like to give something else (LEATHER) a try. MIC...I have sampled GENTLEMAN and I recall VERY much liking this fragrance. GENTLEMAN is another STRONG possible contender for the PATCHOULI list. KNIGHTOWL and CONCORD...I have a decant of TEN. A nice MELLOW fragrance but...I would like something STRONGER! Decampen...thanks for your suggestion...I am not too familiar with Lapidus PH. I'll have to check it out.
    SCENTEMENTAL...Ahhhh yes...MPG PARFUME D'HABIT! Another MONSTER! I have a (decant) of PdH (little remaining) that I am saving for special occations...however...on the whole...I prefer MPG ROUTE DU VETIVER! DOUBLE MONSTER! WHOA! TRUMPET_GUY...WOW...you have some memory! I DID indeed own ANTEAUS...alas...all gone! I enjoyed ANTEAUS but...(yours truly) THE BLACK HOLE of SCENTS! made short work of ANTEAUS. DANTE...I am a CREED fan! However...at this time...INexpensive is all important! MAGNIFISCENT...Ummm...BEL AMI has been on my (to buy) list for nearly THREE years! Perhaps this could be a contender for the SANDALWOOD list!
    Thanks again all for your suggestion! It's good to be back!

Regards,
    SixCats!

try the patchouly from etro and their sandalo if you already haven't,they were available from perfumebay at a good price but i think etro have pulled the plug on supplies at a lot of sites due to being sold for up to 50% less than the mrp,just checked and it's $70 for 100ml at perfumebay

I'd be surprised if you weren't already familiar with Zino, but I think that one should rank high on your Patchouli list. Cheap, plentiful, strong and lovely.

Hey SixCats,

Have you tried Chanel's mesmerizing Egoiste yet?
    It's perhaps one of the most unique interpretations of the sweet/spicy sandalwood theme -- an utter masterpiece.

A*MEN is packed with patchouli, DAIM BLOND is a wonderful leather/suede fragrance.

Hi all,

FT Fox...I haven't tried the ETRO Patchouli...I'll look into it.
    Baron...believe it or not, I have never tried ZINO! I guess I'll have to look into ZINO as well. I know it has a lot of fans! GODZILLA...I use to own EGOISTE, however, I now find it a bit too sweet for my taste...still...decent enough. Duxie...A*MEN is just TOO sweet for my taste...although...I did once sniff B-MEN and I recall thinking it was pretty decent. DAIM BLOND I am not familiar.
    Thanks again all for your suggestions. More suggestions are most welcomed.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Hi all,

Yet another "oldie but goodie" thread from my past. Funny, I'm kinda in the same situation today as I was six years ago.
    That is to say, I'm still on the look out for budget/cost effective fragranceS with strong notes of Patchouli, Vetiver, Tobacco, Coffee, Wood, etc. I did own (a thrift shop find) bottle of GENTLEMAN and loved it! I went through that bottle in record time.
    I wish GENTLEMAN were a bit less expensive however. Regarding MPG, arrrrrr, LOVE both Route de Vetiver and Habit.
    Question.....do you guys think I would find Fragrances by CARON or Molinard Patchouli TOO sweet and not enough EARTHY stuff.

Regards,
    SixCats!

SixCats it is always great to see you here!!!

Hey hey Scent,

Thank you my friend for your comments. I hope all is well with you.

Regards,
    SixCats!

SixCats, where are you located? If you're in the UK check out Angela Flanders Sandalwood. It's excellent, true sandalwood, reasonably priced, lovely.

And Knize Ten, yes for leather. YES.

Also for leather, Cabochard, Azuree, or Aramis.
    K

Hi Kagey,

I live out in the "STICKS" of the beautiful State of Maine U.S. of A.
    Thanks for your recommendations.

Regards,
    SixCats!