Code of Conduct

Default A*Men, Eau d'Orange Verte & 212 Men On Ice

Hello,

I'm a new person to these forums and looking for anyone kind enough to give me some advice. After not really wearing fragrance for most of my life, for Christmas I've recieved the following; A*Men, Hermes' Eau d'Orange Verte & 212 Men On Ice.

To my untrained nose, the A*Men smells like chocolate. The Eau d'Orange smells like, er oranges, then not much at all. And the 212 ice starts off citrous but then later I get 'fresh' smells (?). Personally, they all smell nice to me. Edible and nice.

Anyway I've briefly skimmed through some of the literature on this site and am scratching my head.

I know fragrances are v. subjective but how 'good' are these three percieved to be? For every person that seems to rave about a scent there seems to be one that rants. I'm also very interested to know the female opinion on this matter. First-hand or second-hand, it's all good, I'm interested to know the general views.

Also when should I wear the particular fragrances? Does it matter at all? Daytime, nightime, summer, winter, going out, office environment? Is there a particular season or occasion the three scents I've been given are suited towards?

Thanks!

Ps. You all probably already know but the links in that FAQ don't work.

Default Re: A*Men, Eau d'Orange Verte & 212 Men On Ice

Hey fluke, welcome.

Of the three you got, A*men definately gets the most airtime here at Basenotes. Some swear by it (for its originality, its delicious chocolateness, how strongly it broadcasts its smell). Others cant stand it (for largely the same reasons). You'll have to leave it up to your nose and skin, but A*men is def. an original fragrance which engenders much heated discussion amongst those of us who spend hours talking about smelly things. While lots of Bnoters will insist upon the principle that you can wear whatever you like in whatever weather, I think you would quickly regret wearing A*men on a hot and humid day. In the winter, though, it is SUCH a comforting scent.

212 is indeed a fresh fragrance, aka the "me-too acquatics" which is a genre of scents often derided on these boards, Basically, thats us being reactionary: these fresh acquatic scents are so popular outside of Basenotes that fragrance afficionados simply have to look down upon what we see as an "easy way out, path of least resistance, individulity-less" style of cologne. That said, on a blistering hot day, there is nothing more refreshing than a well-made acquatic, and 212 on ice is one of the better ones, IMO.

As for d'Orange Verte, I am not familair with it mayself, but you can check this out: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120490.html

hope this is helpful

Welcome fluke!! And welcome to the world of fragrance. I've been postihg here only a few weeks myself, but the people and discussions are great!

Quote Originally Posted by nefertem
    Hey fluke, welcome.

Of the three you got, A*men definately gets the most airtime here at Basenotes.
    nefertem, can you point me to some of the more colorful A*men debate threads? Thanks!
    There is no Nose....

Thanks for the welcome, nefertem and Olfa. That was very informative nefertem. Much appreciated!

It seems to come up all over the place:"most wanted" threads, "best party fragrance" threads , "worst church fragrance" threads, "best frag for rainy tuesdays when your dog is sick with the flu" threads. Seems that anyplace it can be inserted into a discussion it will be. A quick search, however, did come up with these devoted specifically to A*men:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...m=1133740702/0

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...34240818/18#18

enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by OlfaOmega
    Welcome fluke!! *And welcome to the world of fragrance. *I've been postihg here only a few weeks myself, but the people and discussions are great!

[quote author=nefertem link=1135782423/0#1 date=1135783345]Hey fluke, welcome.

Of the three you got, A*men definately gets the most airtime here at Basenotes.
    nefertem, can you point me to some of the more colorful A*men debate threads? *Thanks! [/quote]

Go here and make use of the wonderful asset that BN gives us. *Many reviews of A*Man there. *I love mine and wear it more than any other scent I have. *I even layer it on top of others at the end of the day. *Right now, it's spiffing up my Creed Boise du Portugal ;D

Btw, did you get the rubber or metal-covered bottle? I made a mistake and got the rubber coated one first. It's a real PITA to apply the scent. The metal covered one is larger and much easier to spay/apply its wonderful fragrance.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

The A*Men bottle I recieved was in black rubber, something about being 'limited edition'. I haven't had any problems with it so far though.

I made use of the Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte yesterday and thought I'd jot down a few thoughts. Firstly I like the smell; at first you get an overwhelming scent of orange and citrus which is very refreshing. However this fades quickly to something altogether more warm and mellow. It's a very natural and casual fragrance. Unfortunately the Eau d'Orange doesn't seem to last long at all and this I think is it's major drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    I made use of the Hermes Eau d'Orange Verte yesterday and thought I'd jot down a few thoughts. Firstly I like the smell; at first you get an overwhelming scent of orange and citrus which is very refreshing. However this fades quickly to something altogether more warm and mellow. It's a very natural and casual fragrance. Unfortunately the Eau d'Orange doesn't seem to last long at all and this I think is it's major drawback.
    Yep. It's a great warm weather scent.

Longevity has always been one of it's drawbacks. I own a small automizer just for when I wear this scent so I can refresh it throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by phersurf

Longevity has always been one of it's drawbacks. I own a small automizer just for when I wear this scent so I can refresh it throughout the day.
    Wow, that's dedication to a scent! Really wish it lasted longer. Anything similar with better longevity?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke
    [quote author=phersurf link=1135782423/0#7 date=1135994173]

Wow, that's dedication to a scent! Really wish it lasted longer. Anything similar with better longevity?[/quote]
    Eau d'Orange Vert Concentree!

;D

D'oh! ;D

On me the Concentree gives very little improvement in the longetivity department.

This is one of my biggest gripes about this house in general, particularly for the prices.

Really? What would you recommend?