Code of Conduct

Default More Rive Gauche compliments!

Wearing RG today for the first time in a long time. At the very second I sprayed it to my skin I remembered how gorgeous it is. It is quite simple but I love it and so do the girls at my office - it never fails to give my loads of compliments, also from people who wouldn't normally say anything abouts scents.

Buy it if you don't own it already - it is impossible NOT to love it ;D

Mic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: More Rive Gauche compliments!

and what about the intense version Mic ?? Better or worse ?

Quote Originally Posted by renzo
    and what about the intense version Mic ?? * Better or worse ?
    I prefer the "normal" version though the difference is very little. The intense one has some more patchouli, that's the only difference to my nose........

Concerning the "light (summer?)" version: Stay away from that - it smells like the original blended with a lot of water and it is a little boring.

Mic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by renzo
    and what about the intense version Mic ?? * Better or worse ?
    I`ve got both, regular one and Intense. Major difference between these two is in their topnotes. Intense RG has *much more patchouli and it is much darker or should I say just Intense. Anyway I like better regular version than Intense.

I love this too - it's versatile, fresh without being empty and has that manly oomph that lots of women (and some men!) go for. In fact, might have to go sniff me some now.

Quote Originally Posted by suncheese
    [quote author=renzo link=1135329855/0#1 date=1135335352]and what about the intense version Mic ?? Better or worse ?
    I`ve got both, regular one and Intense. Major difference between these two is in their topnotes. Intense RG has much more patchouli and it is much darker or should I say just Intense. Anyway I like better regular version than Intense.[/quote]

I am glad to read your opinions about Intense version - I was planning to order it (blind), but perhaps I`ll save my money now...You know, I`m not that much of a fan even with regular one, although I think it has breathtaking bottle design.
    I just thought Intense would be something more special.

I'll tell you what IS worth getting if you can find it...

the Rive Gauche Pour Homme Shower Gel.

One of the best shower gels I've ever used. Its very true to RG, but it actually smells better. The lavender in the shower gel is some of the best lavender I've ever smelled. It smells so lively and deep. I haven't worn RG in a while. The odd thing is although its the fragrance that has gotten me the most compliments of all (from 18yo girls to 40something MILFs), enough people on here have compared it to Brut, and it has shaken my faith. Dammit, because I love Rive Gauche, but I don't want people to think I'm wearing Brut!

OK, my New Year's resolution is to wear Rive Gauche more.

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

The shower gel is awesome. I was lucky enough to get the EdT and shower gel in a swap when I first joined Basenotes and I love them both. Also I have got tons of compliments on this too. I know some people say this fragrance seems "unfinished" and I agree that it doesn't develop much at all but it smells so good why would you want it to change.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

OK Guys, get a load of this.

This is PROOF of the undeniable power of Rive Gauche as king of compliments!!!

I was at work tonight, and I was wearing just a slight dab of Avignon from a sample. One girl was paying another girl a compliment on her fragrance and as she walked by me, she said "You smell really good too!" I bent down so she could sniff my neck and she said, "No that's not it, that smells kind of like soap. She leaned in and sniffed my chest and said, "yeah, I think its your shirt. Smells really good." I was perplexed, what could she be smelling?

Then I remembered. Earlier this afternoon, a few hours before work I was reading this post, and it prompted me to go spray a little Rive Gauche on my bare chest and elbow, just to see how I remembered it. I wasn't planning to make it my SOTE, and was planning on washing it off. And I did take a shower afterward and I thought I DID wash it off, but when I brought my elbow up to my nose there it was- It had survived a vigorous attempt at a "wash-off" and was showing me up by garnering a compliment to boot!

Rive Gauche Pour Homme- women love it, they really do!

"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Check out this thread which confirms not only "Rive Gauche as king of compliments!", but its international, universal appeal.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1122094079/0#0

scentemental

Why is the only scent carried in mainsteam dept stores like dillards. macys, etc. only carry Kourous and sport? Rive gauche and m7 are fabulous. I do not own either one but hope to own rive gauche some day. I used to love jazz and I still have a special place in my heart for it. I hope to own jazz one day again.

Ihave no idea how I added a poll to this thread as I traied to make it my own

Post Thanks / Like

Jeezes guys...Now I have to buy me the regular RG...thanks Mic and co.. 8-)

And INDIE, if I get as many compliments as you, I ll send you the girls adresses and tel.numbers from Belgium ;D

Well, its sick. It really is.

I bought a bottle even though I was let down by it when first testing it. But I wore it, but I was not expecting anyone to like it, and BAM! Young girls, older women....they all LOVED it. Nowadays, I have a million frags to choose from and so I don't wear RG very much. But EVERY time I do, I get a compliment! And usually nobody says ANYTHING.

I just wonder what it is about RG that makes people you encounter love it so much. I think there is something about it that is a real pleasure for a stranger to take in. I smelled RG on some guy walking by one time, and it was really a pleasant smell. I could see why I got so many compliments when I wore it.

There is just something arresting about it.

Hi everyone.I really love Brut so I have always liked RG.However more recently if I were to analyse things RG would probably have a coveted slot in my top 10(simulates dusting of his shoulder in a haughty way).Not too shabby,eh?
    Question:Why does RG have such lousy reviews at perfumeemporium,relatively speaking that is.It somewhat peeves me off that those reviews there have no appreciation of RG,some even wanting heads to roll at YSL for this blunder or lapse if you will.What peabrains.A bientot,Roland.

And in slagging RG, people usually attack the metal container as being cheap; but in Luca Turin's blog he states that aluminum is one of the best protective materials in which to store fragrance. No sh!t.

a little extra FYI...

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought this scent two days ago. Hysteria pointed out a sale at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada so I rushed out and got it. 125mL for 20$CAN. GREAT deal, don't you think?

I really like this scent. I wore it the day I got it and I really liked it on myself. However, I don't understand it yet. It seems like an evening scent but suited for the day as well. I'm actually considering wearing it today (Christmas) but I'm not sure if that's appropriate either - maybe it's better at a party or a night club.

Ahh, don't know which frag to wear today >.< Decisions, decisions.

I got a bottle of Intense in the mail today, and somehow the original version didn't grab me for some reason, but here's my thoughts wearing it this evening...

On the first initial spray, I was blown over by it's rather citrus spicy nature, as a matter of fact it reminded me of a bottle of Brut or if memory serves Monsieur Givenchy! It relaxes a bit, and the patchouli becomes prominent with the lavender, reminding me somewhat of Antaeus this time.

Finally the scent becomes cleaner, the vetiver being a lot more insistent, but still holds a certain "dirtiness" in the scent, which comes to mind the interview with Tom Ford and his preference of what a man should smell like. He believes that a man should smell like a man, and with fragrances, a ruggedness should come through, somehow enhancing his own odor to some brash, and masculine degree. If you notice, he does create scents with a certain manliness, and nothing dandy-ish or foppish with what he oversees in the making of a scent, however ironically the clothes seem the complete opposite with the scent a la Gucci in mind.

Overall, this is one bold scent, reminds me of being 12 again, when a lot of guys started to douse themselves with Brut after Phys Ed. But I also regard this as a very fine fougere, like Antaeus, but somehow more wearable day to day. Glad I rediscovered this with my half blind purchase. I figured if I smelled it once before, but didn't create a nasty memory, it must've had some merits that I finally get to enjoy!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

so iMaverick, is the intense version better ?? More lasting power ? and wich is preferable ??
    Renz

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    I just bought this scent two days ago. Hysteria pointed out a sale at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada so I rushed out and got it. 125mL for 20$CAN. GREAT deal, don't you think?
    YESSSSS!!!! Glad you bought a can of YSL RGPH as well at this price. The new Shoppers Drug Mart in my neighbourhood has a diverse variety of stuff and could rival a department store like The Bay or Sears.

Rive Gauche Pour Homme is extremely versatile and wearable for any occasion. And then I clicked on Scentemental's topic and he confirmed it. It's a workhorse indeed! It just smells good all the damn time. And I no longer think it smells like my bottle of Faberge Brut.

I remember when I first tested RGPH and thought it smelled like a weaker version of Brut. I was so disappointed. I thought that I'd stick to Brut and Azzaro Pour Homme which are also nothing alike, but Azzaro PH was recommended to me by Basenoters who noted that I liked Brut. Then the Shoppers Drug Mart sale goes on, and I decide to buy it. $19.99 plus tax isn't a lot to lose on 125mL of YSL RGPH. And now I love it...
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades

I really like this scent. I wore it the day I got it and I really liked it on myself. However, I don't understand it yet. It seems like an evening scent but suited for the day as well. I'm actually considering wearing it today (Christmas) but I'm not sure if that's appropriate either - maybe it's better at a party or a night club.

Ahh, don't know which frag to wear today >.< Decisions, decisions.
    Nice! I just came back from shoppers, and too picked up *another* bottle of Rive for $20 as a back up! How can you go wrong!?

How can you even run out of RGPH to need a backup, it comes in 125mL cans... ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh EVENTUALLY we'll run out!!!

*runs out and buys another bottle*

haha I think the low price makes us :

Yeah, I need to get a backup can too, because mine is DENTED!!!

I know, I know...but one time I dropped it on the pavement. Granted if it were glass, it would have been a goner. No, it lives on...but its bottle is bit beaten up. Then again, Rive Gauche is just the kind of macho scent that can take a beating and not give a damn.

Doesn't the Intense version come in some kind of refillable glass bottle? I'm hoping I can snag a bottle of the Intense somewhere, someday.

Indie, dispite the mixed reviews, the intense version is really amazing IMO. Rive done right I find, its richness is really incredible, the deep patchouli really adds a whole other range of dimension - But I'd find it pretty hard to choose between the two; original and intense -- I even liked the 'light' version when it was around and should have picked it up when i had the chance.

As far as having 2 125ml cans, wtf! I'll just make it the SOTWeek 8-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Yeah, I need to get a backup can too, because mine is DENTED!!!

I know, I know...but one time I dropped it on the pavement. Granted if it were glass, it would have been a goner. No, it lives on...but its bottle is bit beaten up. Then again, Rive Gauche is just the kind of macho scent that can take a beating and not give a damn.

Doesn't the Intense version come in some kind of refillable glass bottle? I'm hoping I can snag a bottle of the Intense somewhere, someday.
    lol!

I would SO buy a new bottle just for an unblemished bottle. I know this sounds superficial but I'm pretty anal about how my possessions look.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! *RGPH from YSL, the same company that gave us the potent, overpowring OPIUM for women : *A woman at work wears it and I swear, I can smell her 40' away !

BUT, I'm going with ya'll's comments and blindly ordering some RGPH tomorrow ;D!

EDIT: Ordered Tuesday, AM.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]