Code of Conduct

Default Great Mint Scents Like Selection Verte

I have recently tried Creed's Selection Verte, and I really love it. Unfortunately, I don't know how to purchase it without buying a huge 8.4 oz flacon at retail price, and I do not wish to buy a small decant of 1/3 either. Any online places which sell it? How do you basenoters get a hold of it?

Also, for the time being, are there any other good mint scents which resemble that of Selection Verte? I've seen comparisions between Live Jazz by YSL and Selection Verte, but IMO Live Jazz is a fresh traditional mint, but Selection Verte is peppermint- mint which is tempered and spiked with pepper - which is exactly what I'm looking for. Anything out there like that?

Thanks for all your help, and Happy New Years! ;D

Default Re: Great Mint Scents Like Selection Verte

Is Series 5 Sherbert Peppermint by CdG any good? Anyone?

I haven't tried Peppermint but I would assume that it smells like mint candy, which wouldn't be surprising for CDG. I have a sample of Mint from the Leaves series and it smells like an actual mint leaf, not candy. It doesn't last too long though.

Gshock, I don't know the CdG you mention, but I've thought that the closest match to Selection Verte is wrapped in Guerlain's Aqua Allegoria series. Either Lemon Fresca or Herba Fresca initially, and maybe Mentifolia. They're not exact of course and they might not concentrate on the mint you'd like to find in the way you want to find it, but for the whole, they remind me most of SV.

Good luck! Sorry I don't know mint scents better. I seem to recall that within the last two months or so there was a basenotes thread on mint.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Try layering JAQUES FATH Green Water with LV Piper Nigrum. It gives you spearmint and black pepper.

AZTEC

Try Lacoste Booster. Green mint all the way.

gshock,

IMO opinion, *CdG Peppermint* is the ultimate mint scent. It's very true to the nature of pure peppermint essential oil without that high octane sharpness of the oil, moderated as it it with a touch of spearmint. It has amazingly good longevity, and I find to be a very uplifting, mood-enhancing, head-clearing scent.

Guerlain's *Aqua Allegoria Mentafolia*, is an exquisite mint-dominated fragrance, a creation of Jean Paul Guerlain himself and, along with *Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours*, an example of the perfumer's art at its highest pitch. It starts of with one of the most beautiful top notes accords imaginable. Ethereal uplifting citrus interlaced with a warm sweet tea accord. It has florals in the heart notes (specifically rose, and maybe a hint of jasmine) and a soft woody musky finish, but, throughtout, the mint is certainly present and masterfully integrated. It's actually quite a complex but understated creation.

I'll second MacCOOL's recommendation of Booster by Lacoste, which deserves much broader support than it gets. It's a sporty, casual scent of uncommon distinct, again, with an exquisite opening based on a very cooling mint note and a very contemporary fresh development along the lines of a more muted Green Irish Tweed. Like Aqua Allegoria Mentafolia, it was also created by another master perfumer, Jean Kerleo, responsible for such men's masterpieces as the long ago discontinued and highly original *Eau de Sport* (1969), *Patou Pour Homme*, and *Patou Pour Homme Prive* to mention a few.

*Aqua Allegoria Herba Fresca*, also a Jean Paul Guerlain creation, is more purely greener than its *Mentafolia* brethren, and is closer to the purer peppermint accord of *CdG Peppermint*. Between these three scents, you should have mint pretty much covered.

Best regards,

scentemental

YSL pour Homme comes to mind. I really don't like Selection Verte and YSL pour Homme I find disgusting!

If you're lucky you can find a full 2.5oz Tester bottle of the Creed for under $50.00 on ebay. Takes a while though.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    YSL pour Homme comes to mind. I really don't like Selection Verte and YSL pour Homme I find disgusting!

YSL pour Homme and Selection Verte are quite different. YSL PH is lemon and thyme, selection verte is mint and pepper. I guess you could classify both as fresh/herbal...

Scentemental's recommendations are good as far as mint goes but lacking in pepper. You could add Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum to any of these to get the pepper effect.

AZTEC

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    IMO opinion, *CdG Peppermint* is the ultimate mint scent. It's very true to the nature of pure peppermint essential oil without that high octane sharpness of the oil, moderated as it it with a touch of spearmint. It has amazingly good longevity, and I find to be a very uplifting, mood-enhancing, head-clearing scent.
    When I first tried this one I found the mint lasting just a few minutes then it turned woody and too masculine for my taste and there fore only thought of it as slightly below par. Then my ex-girlfriend got it and after I had smelled it on her I changed my opinion completely. A lovely mint and that nasty masculine tone it had was gone, it just seems like it doesn't work with my skin. I think you should try it out, yummy indeed.

Mentafolia is full of mint but Herba Fresca is even better