Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: CHEMICALS! RUN!

Default Re: CHEMICALS! RUN!

Some people are really hard to reach with logic and reasoning. As pointed out by others in this thread, this is a tremendous problem in our society since the opposite of rationality is irrationality. Irrationality (e.g., emotions) has its place, but science is, and must remain, the realm of rationality. No one should graduate high school in America without having first demonstrated a facility with logic and reasoning. That alone would solve a great many of the problems we face in today's society.

That some fragrances contain bad chemicals is a valid issue, and troublesome chemicals should be identified and eliminated from products as necessary. It doesn't matter how the chemicals were derived, though. Synthetically derived chemicals are not inherently problematic. That won't stop some from flailing about in grand mal spasms of irrational outbursts, though.

I agree with everything FatTony says and I wish more people in our world exhibited his ability to reason.

basenotes rocks

Some people are really hard to reach with logic and reasoning.
    Like whoever wrote the stuff in the link Peace posted:

Im really considering about being fragrance free TOTALLY(no parfumes , deodorants etc)

http://bestchoice.itgo.com/dangers_top10.htm
    Whoever wrote this either is seriously lacking in the ability to reason logically or is deliberately lying. Actually, now that I notice a link at the bottom of the page selling "Botanical Skin Cream (contains no chemicals)", I think it must be deliberate lies.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Isn't the verdict still out on propylene glycol? Dipropylene glycol can be found in virtually all fragrances as it's used to dilute the stronger aroma chemicals like aldehydes to make them easier to dose. I'm not afraid of propylene glycol at all. I think it's a highly innocuous ingredient.
    Even though the verdict might still be out, I'd rather err on the side of caution, and apply the fragrances on my shirts.
    Given the numerous dangerous chemicals in cosmetics, I'd suppose that Propylene Glycol should not have been my first choice for an example.

I believe our fellow Basenoter Peace has done an excellent job in digging out various information related to hazardous chemicals, and I'd like to personally thank him for that.

I've stated this before: Cosmetics are exempt from FDA testing requirements, and known toxic substances are routinely used in their production.

Here's the proof:
    "FDA cannot require companies to do safety testing of their cosmetic products before marketing." [source: FDA Office of Cosmetics and Colors, Feb. 3, 1995]

Only 11 percent of the 10,500 ingredients FDA has documented in products have been assessed for safety by the cosmetic industry's review panel. [source: EWG]

By the way, my purpose for writing this piece is not to convince, force, or coerce anyone from using cosmetics. But rather to share information with the folks who are concerned about these issues. So I would therefore like to ask everyone to please spare me the usual "air is dangerous too" type reponses. Thank you!

Ah well, I'll die smelling great. Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Ah well, I'll die smelling great. Cheers! [smiley=beer.gif]

Here, here! ;D