Code of Conduct

Default Overrated Basenotes Fragrance?

What is the most overrated Basenotes Fragrance? The one that makes you feel like some sick, monstrous freak of nature for not conforming to the overwhelming majority?

I'd Say "M7".

Default Re: Overrated Basenotes Fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdujour

I'd Say "M7".
    I'm the same. I just cannot get my head round why M7 is so popular.

I would say M7

I would say Dzing!, definitely and without a doubt. For me, it is Basenotes hysteria scent if anything.

First) I don`t find it`s aroma that "weird", animalic or anyway that special. When I smelled it first time, I was preparing to have positive recoil experience, something unique and challenging. Instead, it offered me this subtle leather scent with some sweet woods and hint of vanilla. And then it got worse...

Secondly) ...The damn thing didn`t last on my skin at all!! After two hours I couldn`t smell any leather, and it was exteremely weak overall. Just a slight insence-like smell with the touch of BO-type of smell. Very weak, ridicuosly so.
    I`ve tested Dzing! many times after that, and it gives me same result everytime!!

So, to me Dzing!= Talking about shallow hyperbole! >

Green Irish Tweed, I don't see what the hype is all about?
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

I would say Piper Nigrum or Voluer de Roses.....However, I did feel this way about BdP and now I really like it.
    :

Creed - SMW

Creed Green Irish Tweed

Creed - GIT
    Anything CdG except: CdG + CdG2, which I love immensely, and the Odeurs as well.

A*Men- original, but just TOO powerful
    Rive Gauche- way too many ingredients- it is just "all over the place"
    Habit Rouge- way too feminine for most men
    Kouros- what were they thinking?

Another vote for Green Irish Tweed. I realize this is the signature scent of many famous people and many here on basenotes. I guess my sophistication level must be way below all these people, because I JUST DON'T GET IT!!

Jim

For me it's definately Geir! I purchased a decant after reading only raving reviews but to me, it smells rather ordinary.

I agree with the GIT but I have to say ... I've yet to get anything but raves from women when I wear it. Not one single negative ... ever.

Not the greatest or most original scent in my book ... but when I'm looking for compliments from the opposite sex, this is my "go to".

I agree with the previous comments about Dzing and Voluer de Roses, but disagree strongly with those about GIT.

To which I'd add Eau de Hadrian and Mugler's Cologne - it doesn't matter that Eau de Hadrian comes with an aftershave balm - it's still a feminine scent as far as I'm concerned. Muglers may well be unisex, but to my mind it suits women better than men.
    Renato

Dzing! was dissapointing to smell when my neighbor next door purchased it. I like it, but it was not as revolutionary as I was hoping for (maybe because I was comparing it to the holy grail in my head.) That being said, I'm rarelu impressed by Creed's; which don't last long enough for my liking.

But leave M7 alone! :-[

CdG 2, 3, and 2 man. 2 and 3 were dischordant messes on my skin that actually made me nauseous, will 2 man seemed too generic comparing to the other two which were at least daring if nothing else.

Dzing!. Smells exactly like a horse after a good gallop to me. Maybe that's the appeall?

A*men.....can't stand it..soooo 90's.

I agree with you Ziffy. I know I voted GIT as being one of the most overrated frags on basenotes, however, it does receive many compliments from the opposite sex. And isn't that what , I would think, the most of us are looking for. To suffice, I will continue wearing GIT, even though I still think it's overrated.

Jim

A*MEN!!!!!!

Most of the men's scents in the Creed lineup. I like a couple of them, but GIT and SMW are real snoozers, IMO.

i guess the lesson is don't believe the hype. and don't believe the anti-hype either. trust your own nose.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Creed MI...

YUCK!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

KOUROS!!!

OK, I feel like I've gotten my point across...(BTW, I LIKE GIT and Angel Men).
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

M7, A*men. No good.

Quote Originally Posted by rednut
    [quote author=Davisdujour link=1135680587/0#0 date=1135680587]

I'd Say "M7".
    I'm the same. I just cannot get my head round why M7 is so popular.
    [/quote]

And I'm the same as well. M7 is straight tincture of benzoin to my nose, a smell from the emergency room that I would rather leave behind.

Anothers that I personally can't fathom their popularity include Rive Gauche PH, CDG2 Man and Bulgari Black.

Jeff

For me it would have to be Dzing! this stuff is just repugnunt rubber stench :P
    also Mechant Loup, this stuff simply smells like a used gerbil cage. I am totally missing the appeal of these two guys, both by L'Artisan, one of my fav houses. Oh well.
    That's about it for now.

Don't know if this one's necessarily overrated on Basenotes or just overrated in general, but...

Acqua di Gio pour Homme.
    David and Becca forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by dav-here
    Don't know if this one's necessarily overrated on Basenotes or just overrated in general, but...

Acqua di Gio pour Homme.

O I thing AdG gets its fair thrashing among basenoters

Quote Originally Posted by dav-here

Acqua di Gio pour Homme.
    overrated in general, underrated on BN.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Creed Tabarome Millesime.

The first Creed scent that didn't "wow" me. *Bought it blind, and traded it a month later. *Oh, well. *:-[
    David and Becca forever!!

Creed's GIT(so glad I sniffed it before my usual blind buy) and Tabarome Millesime(blind buy-traded) plus Cologne by Mugler.............

Now A*Men........so delightful!!!! Got it on and I love it ;D

Havn't smelled Dzing :

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

For me it's most Creeds. Overhyped and over priced. And no, I don't feel like a freak of nature for not liking them.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Creed MI - Bought it blind and learned an expensive lesson. I just don't see why it's so popular.

I think the most dissapointing fragrance to me has to be either SMW or D'Zing. D'Zing didn't have the great drydown that I hoped for after all that leather and it dried off way to quickly. SMW smelled kind of like a car freshner. Too many floral notes. Nothing else.

Creed GIT

Most Creeds - so hyped, so expensive and what celebrity connections. Some are lovely but overall I think a bit of a Tara Rarer - Bumtier.

How about underrated examples of the perfumer’s art?

those now given scant regard for being of their time, being to inexpensive, being taken up by the proles, lacking endorsements, not smelling like mild soap solution: -

Givenchy Gentleman? Tabac? Egoiste? Mouchoir de Monsieur? Brut? Limes?

What fragrances are the denizens of basenotes ignoring for reasons of marketing, fashions and ephemeral trends? Remember you don't have to like something to appreciate it!

TM

The majority of creed's offerings less than ~100 years old. I don't think Dzing or VdR could ever be rated highly enough here to suit me. Both last 10+ hours on my skin...Underrated/overrated is obviously extremely subjective.

One approaches Creed cautiously as this famous house has fierce supporters, but I will echo what has been said. I find their fragrances poor in longetivity, too expensive, and frankly, boring.

With the exception of Bois de Portugal, which truly is worth the hype and more.

Many of the Creed's I've tried. But in particular - given the rave reviews they've received on B'notes - GIT, SMW and MI.

I was also extremely disappointed with Bulgari Pour Homme, which I bought blind based on ecstatic reviews on this Board a while ago. The hoopla over this cologne on Bnotes seems to have dissipated over time, however.

I'm also not a fan of Dior Homme, but I'm about to be shouted down by its legion of fans on Bnotes for saying that!

Preparing to dodge projectiles.....

Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge followed closely by every male scent Guerlain has ever put out. I've tried and just don't get any of them.

Platinum Egoiste
    GIT

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    For me it's definately Geir! I purchased a decant after reading only raving reviews but to me, it smells rather ordinary.
    I'll second that one. Decent scent but very ordinary. Definitely not worthy of all the praise.

Let's summarize:

1.M7
    2.Creed Green Irish Tweed and Silver Mountain Water
    3.Dzing
    4.A*Men
    5.Etc
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

fuckr

Quote Originally Posted by verve
    Many of the Creed's I've tried. * But in particular - given the rave reviews they've received on B'notes - GIT, SMW and MI. *

I was also extremely disappointed with Bulgari Pour Homme, which I bought blind based on ecstatic reviews on this Board a while ago. * The hoopla over this cologne on Bnotes seems to have dissipated over time, however. *

I'm also not a fan of Dior Homme, but I'm about to be shouted down by its legion of fans on Bnotes for saying that!

Bravo!!! So there are at least SOME men left on Basenotes who've got taste.

Most Creeds. I just don't get it. I love Angelique Encens though.

M7
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Most Creeds though BdP is delightful. VdR is, to my nose, an outstanding member of my wardrobe, and Dzing is a little way behind. I can understand why M7 is maligned by some - but I enjoy that medicine smell.

Hilarious, contradictory, absurdist thread. Long may it continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    Guerlain's Vetiver and Habit Rouge followed closely by every male scent Guerlain has ever put out. *I've tried and just don't get any of them.
    Aside from L'instant, I find all the Guerlain scents underwhelming. I don't understand them and I can't appreciate what I don't understand. No offense to fans of this house. I just personally don't find these scents so appealing.

Count me in on the Creed disappointment bandwagon.
    I really looked forward to sampling these frags, what with all the accolades here on BN, but was puzzled when I tried them. GIT smells like any one of several department store designer scents. Same with Himalaya.
    That being said, Milisme Tabarome is very good to my nose and I purchased it. Erolfa not bad either. I wouldn't give you much for the rest of the oft mentioned Creed frags.

B.G.

Trumper's Sandalwood is one of them. Diptyque's Tam Dao could be another one...
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Easy on Geir, fellows!!! As one reviewer put it, "Like tears of an angel". Remember guys, lightning strikes when you least expect it!!!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackfan
    Easy on Geir, fellows!!! *As one reviewer put it, "Like tears of an angel". *Remember guys, lightning strikes when you least expect it!!!

Jim
    Definitely agree. I thought it was overrated when I first tested it, but like many aspects of my life, true love doesn't come immediately.

Creed - Silver Mountain Water - Himalaya ....
    L'anarchiste - Caron

For me, it's M7 and GIT.

They're okay fragrances, not bad, but nothing I'd put money down for.

Dzing: Don't like it and just don't understand what all the fuss is about.
    Jaïpur Homme: On me this is too powdery.

Quote Originally Posted by Davisdujour
    What is the most overrated Basenotes Fragrance? The one that makes you feel like some sick, monstrous freak of nature for not conforming to the overwhelming majority?

I'd Say "M7".

MY GOD! *Before I *got even *halfway through the first paragraph I was *already thinking:

* *M7 :

And yes, while we're at it, * Dzing and *A*men.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

In my opinion M7 is UNDERrated... .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I would have to say I agree with all of those who've mentioned Creed - not that any of their scents are truly terrible, just almost uniformly completely unexceptional, and with that characteristic cold metallic nastiness. So, for me, SMW, MI, GIT, both Santals, and most of the rest can go into the water - for me. I will say that both Angelique Encens and Fleur de The Rose Bulgare are beautiful women's scents (I've tried hard with AE on me - but it just doesn't quite work ).

M7 I don't like, but I can see that others might get on with it.

Hands of Guerlain! Guerlain rocks tee-hee. Seriously I love Guerlain but I can totally see how their stuff would put some people off.

I searched long and hard for a L'Artisan that I got on with. VdR is wild and brilliant, but not for me; ditto Mure et Musc; D'Zing (for the time being) is still a kind of a <meh>; Bois Farine and PdE I don't get, and so on for most of the rest of the house. But I would never call such iconoclasm and class overrated!

Hmm. Overrated. Creed. Ooh - actually - L'Instant PH - rather a humble frag; very similar to Borneo 1834 imo - which is far classier.

I have to say Creed MI. I got some expecting to be WOWed! It did nothing for me. :-/