Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Hillaire

Default Re: Decant bottles

I have had good success with a variety of methods, one being a long soak in Dawn water, with a subsequent alcohol soak.
    Using each solution to spray through the sprayer component lots of times.

But my favorite remedy for really tenacious scents is an acetone soak, followed by a wash and alcohol rinse. Works like a charm.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
    Tetra Clorid Carbon. I mean CCL4. It can clear most of the oily, greasy things.
    I personally wouldn't use Carbon TetraChloride CCL4 because of its known toxicity to humans. Hot water and dishwashing liquid wash with 1/4 volume left in to empty by spritzing followed by thorough rinsing/spritzing with clear hot water and then perfumer's alcohol (or non-denatured alcohol) 1/4 fill, shake vigorously and many spritzes till cleared, then removing the top and allowing the vial and spray mechanism to air dry works for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride
    Last edited by kbe; 21st May 2010 at 10:18 PM.
    "Are you a god?"
    "No"
    "Are you a wizard?"
    "No"
    "Are you a man?"
    "No"
    "Then what are you?"
    "I am awake.."

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I personally wouldn't use Carbon TetraChloride CCL4 because of its known toxicity to humans. Hot water and dishwashing liquid wash with 1/4 volume left in to empty by spritzing followed by thorough rinsing/spritzing with clear hot water and then perfumer's alcohol (or non-denatured alcohol) 1/4 fill, shake vigorously and many spritzes till cleared, then removing the top and allowing the vial and spray mechanism to air dry works for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tetrachloride
    I would also not recommend acetone. Toxic and may damage plastic parts of the actuator or casing.
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st May 2010 at 11:04 PM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I would also not recommend acetone. Toxic and may damage plastic parts of the actuator or casing.
    Yup. Test how quickly the bottom of a styrofoam cup disappears if you put just a little acetone in it!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    We thought the same thing at the same time... spooky!
    Great minds think alike ...

Hillaire

Yummy yummy acetone.... Sluurrrp.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Yummy yummy acetone.... Sluurrrp.
    LOL, it will evapurate within minutes,
    then the bottle is dry and clean!

I suppose that this is a good reason to have a pint flask of Everclear in the cabinet for emergencies such as a clogged-with-another-scent atomizer!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Default Reusing sample bottles

Is there anyway to get the scent out of a sample bottle so that I can reuse it? I have 5 empty ones.. but they still smell like the colognes that they held. Is there any remedy or will I just have to keep buying more?
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Reusing sample bottles

People have suggested spraying alcohol through them or running them through the dishwasher. I tried these methods but my vials still smelled. I gave up trying.

Small consolation: they are cheaper if you buy in bulk.

I've re-used, with different scents, but i'm careful of what i'm mixing. For example, I went on vacation to the Caribbean recently and desperately wanted to bring Eau d'Orange Verte. As it happened I was out of empty sample spray vials so I used up a nearly empty sample of Eau Sauvage, cleaned it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, then filled it with EdOV. After the first spray I could not smell the Eau Sauvage except in the cap.

I wouldn't refill a previously used Serge Lutens spray vial with a cologne, but with careful planning they can certainty be reused.
    (\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination.
    (")_(")

Glass can usually be cleaned with soap and water followed by alcohol, then acetone. Most plastic will absorb aroma molecules like crazy, so can never be cleaned properly. Buying new sample vials is more cost-effective in the end if you consider your time and materials for cleaning. Never swap samples or decants in used vials or bottles!
    Blog: www.perfumenw.blogspot.com
    Website: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes http://orchidscents.com.

Never tried it. Maybe soak in hot soapy water.

Default How would you clean out an atomizer?

I ordered a bunch of sample vials, and was planning on pouring them into atomizers to test them out. Unfortunately, I have done this in the past, and the atomizers still smell of the previous fragrance that were inside of them.

Any tips on how to clean them out? I've already tried soaking them in hot water, which worked decently, but wasn't 100% effective.

Default Re: How would you clean out an atomizer?

This should be in the Just Starting Out forum. Anyway, I put vodka in them, let them sit a few days, and also spray them a couple times each day. Then after it's all sprayed out, open it up and use a hair dryer on it (just don't melt the plastic). Come back to it in a couple days and if you can smell anything that might be the best you'll ever do. However, for my purposes I'd still use it at that point for a strong frag, though for swaps and sales I use new ones. Glass vials are different because you can boil them.

Try soaking them in cleaning alcohol or use zinc ricinoleate.

You can get 90-99% isopropyl alcohol from your local pharmacy, its stronger than the normal 70% variety, if not in the pharmacy, you can get it online. As was stated any overproof white vodka should do the trick. There is a place online stuff for fragrances or some name like that, that sell small atomisers pretty cheap, I'm sure someone will come along that knows the name of the outfit.

All of the above suggestions will work.....I have never thought of the Vodka but that sounds pretty cool.....Gary

I use methylated spirits then rinse with warm water and leave to dry. Occasionally it doesn't get 100% of the previous fragrance out but it seems to work most of the time.

Hot water with a little alcohol.

I never re-use atomizers with a different fragrance as I would be too worried about cross-contamination.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Swaps
    Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I never re-use atomizers with a different fragrance as I would be too worried about cross-contamination.
    I do not re-use, I agree you, but there was a time I used to and My washing-method was wash them carefully with dishwasher liquid soap and rinse with boiling water. After that I fill them medium capacity with alcohol and shake it. I keep the acohol there a couple on days and repit the operation. Finally I put them on the dishwasher machine...

Now I find more effective in order to prevent contamination do not reuse them. I have a labelled syringe for every different fragrance and ii is with no doubt safer. A perfume going bad for contamination is a waste of money. Much better to pay some cents for a new decanter / vial.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I agree - I've always viewed the prospect of someone doing this with a fragrance of mine with some horror - for that reason I supply my samples in atomisers. Why not buy yourself some? Nemat (aka Best Bottles) sell them cheaply as do a number of other suppliers.

That said there are several good suggestions above and I've found that glass cleans up perfectly in a dishwasher. The problem is the plastic bits of the atomiser and for those a combination of strong isopropyl alcohol sprayed through the spray and followed by some ethanol (high-proof vodka is fine if you don't have access to pure ethanol) will clear most of the scent. Whatever you do don't leave any trace of the isopropyl alcohol in the sprayer though: it will badly contaminate your scent.

Having done all that you'll have spent more on isopropyl alcohol and vodka than it would cost you to buy some small atomisers. Then you could drink the vodka (but not the isopropyl alcohol) and enjoy the new scents with no chance of contamination. ;-)
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Sur la Plage

I do not re-use atomizers.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Get new atomizers IMO.
    Current infatuations:

1. M7
    2. Encre Noire
    3. Tobacco Vanille
    4. A*Men
    5. Chergui

The very big problem comes when you do not have at your country any online shop to offer decants, atomizers, vials... and you have to buy to USA ... and shipping rates are as high as actual goods net price...
    But even is much better to acdquire new expensive decants, since contamined scents are the worst to happen.

I tried and tried and tried. It's impossible to completely clean an atomizer no matter what. The plastic tubing in there is most likely the problem.

It seems wasteful to toss the empties so I try and refill, for my personal use only, with either the same scent or something it's handy to have in a little spray bottle. My sinks have lightly-scented little sprays of alcohol nearby, to quickly wipe water spots off the faucet for example.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/233...aning-atomizer
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/179...glass-atomizer
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/174...mizer-question...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/196...lean-atomozers
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/168...sing-atomizers
    Last edited by socalwoman; 14th August 2011 at 02:59 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I've never found that the original scent is removed entirely so I prefer to buy more atomizers.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    It seems wasteful to toss the empties so I try and refill, for my personal use only, with either the same scent or something it's handy to have in a little spray bottle. My sinks have lightly-scented little sprays of alcohol nearby, to quickly wipe water spots off the faucet for example.
    It does seem terribly wasteful and that is a good suggestion. Linen-sprays might be usefully put into them too - I use them when travelling especially to take the creases out of clothes that need dry-cleaning.
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.”
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

Just put them in some chlorine water for an hour or two..