Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)

Alright, I'm ready to do this. As some of you know, I've been making my way through a 27-sample vetiver sampler collection I received about four months ago from Parallax442's (RIP) Liquid Arts store on the 'bay. I've been taking some notes and have tried each scent at least two times. It has been a wonderful journey and education, and the experience has only deepened my appreciation of vetiver-based fragrances. What follows are my notes, beginning with the most recent fragrance tried to the first, several months ago.

You'll see that I have also narrowed my list of favorites and have been undertaking a head-to-head competition. Just tonight I finished my first pass through the winnowed list, and the semi-final and championship rounds loom ahead. Who will emerge victorious? I will update this post as the remaining rounds are completed. So, without further adieu, have fun, and know that I welcome your thoughts and opinions!

Addendum (11/04/05): Due to the generosity of DustB, I was provided with five more vetiver scents that I have now spent some time with, and so am adding to the original description below. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to have a new contest with them included, so I can merely provide my thoughts on them at the moment. These new vetiver scents are the first five immediately following. Enjoy!

Parfums de Nicolai Vetyver EDT is a very interesting vetiver scent. Indeed, the vetiver label is a bit misleading, since on initial application the predominant notes are citrus (lemon) and spice (cumin and black pepper). Indeed, it is surprising just how spicy this is for a vetiver scent. There is also some clove and coriander, according to beautyhabit.com, along with ylang-ylang and jasmine flowers, “smoothed out with the balsamic and seductive scent of Tonka Bean Absolute.” It is very masculine, very spicy, though very light on the actual vetiver. The quality is undeniable, but for vetiver lovers there are many more stout versions of this fine root.

Molinard Vetiver EDC is quite nice. It has the focus on the vetiver, which is slightly earthy and smoky, with touches of tobacco and patchouli. It is fairly subtle, and not sharp and raw like either Route du Vetiver, or “shaggy” like Lorenzo Villoresi. There is also a slight hint of a maple syrup-like smell (amber?). The Demeter Vetiver also has this maple syrup-like accord, but is downright sickly when compared directly with the Molinard. Like the Etro, this compares most favorably with the L’Artisan version, only being slightly smokier and with the aforementioned maple syrup smell.

Fragonard Vetyver EDT is a very different vetiver, and is a smoother, woodsy vetiver scent, not unlike Carlo Corinto Vetyver, but without ever reaching the powerful soapy stage that the CC does. There is a potent lemon note that runs through the top and middle of the Fragonard, and then the pine needles pick up the slack and propel the fragrance forward both powerfully and smoothly. On direct comparison with the CC Vetyver, the Fragonard is surprisingly similar, with slightly less woods than the CC and, as noted, without the surprisingly strong soapy phase that the CC evolves through. Overall, very nice.

Vetiver by Floris EDT is a most surprising vetiver scent! I did not think I would ever experience another vetiver like Route du Vetiver, but these are in fact in the same neighborhood. Vetiver by Floris opens with the second most sharp vetiver note of all of these vetiver versions, only behind Route du Vetiver. It is braced by cedar and sandalwood and a faint hint of spice. It stays quite sharp through its evolution. The principal difference that this reviewer finds between Vetiver by Floris and Route du Vetiver is that the latter has a black current note that is lacking in the Floris, and overall it (the Floris) is a tad softer than RdV. Definitely very nice, and like the Etro in the upper crust of those I have experienced.

Etro Vetiver EDT is a very nice vetiver scent. It opens with a strong, earthy, true vetiver note that is dry. It then evolves fairly straight, always staying pleasant and true to its vetiver roots. It lasts a good long while. This is not a “shaggy” vetiver like Lorenzo Villoresi’s, but is quite close in character to L’Artisan’s Vetiver. Indeed, I compared the two straight up and they are very close, the primary difference being that L’Artisan, despite my perceptions below, does have some citrus in the topnotes that the Etro does not. Overall, definitely a very nice vetiver scent, and in the upper crust of these versions.

The original (pre-addendum) description of vetivers tested and contested began here...

Vétiver de Puig EDT is a very interesting vetiver scent. It opens with a little citrus (less than Guerlain, for instance) tinged with a slightly sour green note that I perceive as celery. Indeed, this scent is reminiscent of Nina Ricci’s Phileas. I happen to have a vintage mini of Vétiver de Puig and this celery note is very magnified, set in a somewhat sweet base, like an overoxidized wine. The liquid of this vintage mini is also considerably darker than that in my recent decant. In all, there is a quiet authority in this old scent, and certainly should be tried by all lovers of vetiver.

Mark Birley for Men. The word 'classic' has been used to describe this fragrance since its release in 1996. I do not quite see this, however. This scent opens with an odd, airy, ozone-like lead, through which citrus eventually emerges. It stays very light and close to the skin; perhaps I should use more than 6 sprays? Through the lemony topnote a complicated set of smells emerges, which are hard to identify individually, though vetiver is somewhat apparent. Luckyscent.com describes the composition as thus: Sandalwood, cedar, patchouli, musk, vetiver, carrot seeds, leather, lemon, bergamot, mandarin, violet, incense. Unfortunately, it does not last long enough for me to appreciate the sandalwood, patchouli, incense, and musk basenotes, disappearing in under 3 hours. Definitely worth a try, and perhaps it projects and lasts much better on others' skin.

Vetiver EDC from Santa Maria Novella, is a shocker for an EDC! It is strong, powerful, scorched-earth arid, dry, and earthy. Not even a hint of citrus. While it is not as “sharp” to the senses as Route Du Vetiver, it is nearly as shocking, and definitely more arid and dry; I would not have thought that possible. If you love vetiver and dry, arid colognes, this may be your ticket. In sum, this is a surprisingly strong EDC vetiver scent, very powerful, and extremely dry, earthy, and arid; unfortunately not my favorite style.

Vetyver EDC from Roger & Gallet, bursts forth from the bottle with citrus, citrus, and more citrus, with very little perceptible vetiver. It's nice and fresh and clean, to be sure, it's just not much of a vetiver scent. Indeed, after 15 minutes it smells just like a slightly weaker Guerlain Imperial EDC. Between the two, I'd take the Guerlain for it lasts longer, but what you can smell of the R & G is certainly pleasant enough. In sum, this is pleasant citrus fragrance of short duration with little perceptible vetiver.

Route du Vetiver from Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (MPG), bursts forth from the bottle unapologetically strong and surgical-blade sharp. There is a very raw sharpness to the Bourbon Vetiver root note (not unlike grain alcohol), which is buoyed by blackcurrant and a woodsy accord; the scent itself is zen-like in its simplicity. The jasmine, sandalwood, and musk all wait about 90 minutes to begin their appearance, and when they do this scent magically balances out and sets itself up for a protracted, impressive drydown! Route du Vetiver is stronger than Guerlain's Vetiver, but with literally no citrus. With respect to the LV Vetiver, an analogy would be appropriate. If Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is a big, strong, frisky, shaggy-haired Wolfhound, then Route du Vetiver is an equally large, sleek-fur, strong, aggressive Doberman Pinscher. In all, I must admit I'm beginning to understand and admire this scent, after being absolutely turned off with my first exposure to it. Every lover of vetiver should be sure to try this. In sum, this is great and possibly a real contender for the Grand Prize.

Olfactory pyramid per Lusciouscargo.com:

Top Notes: Black currant, leafy green accords
    Heart Notes: Bourbon vetiver, precious woods, jasmine
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk

Vetiver from Lorenzo Villoresi bursts forth from the bottle unapologetically strong, smoky, and masculine. There is a raw sharpness to the vetiver root note, which is buoyed by bergamot. The sandalwood and pepper start to make their appearance known in the mid-notes, and lend an appealing smoky character to this scent. It is roughly as strong as Guerlain's Vetiver, but without nearly the citrus, and is not as harsh and raw as Route du Vetiver. LV Vetiver delighted me with a long, beguiling, smoky drydown! In all, this is an excellent scent worthy of an extended try. I should also note that LV Vetiver has among the darkest, deepest golden yellow colors of any of the vetiver samples.

Vetyver from L'Occitane has a moderately strong, earthy vetiver note out of the bottle, not unlike L'Artisan's Vetiver tried yesterday. There is also the hint of some spices and other woods to this scent but, alas, it's duration on my skin was so brief that I sneezed and missed the show! Many of the great reviews in the Directory speak highly of this scent, including its duration, but it has been...poof...gone on my skin after 2 hours.

Vetiver from L’Artisan Parfumeurs is great straight out of the bottle, with a strong, earthy vetiver note; very pure, though not as sharp as Route du Vetiver (which is a good thing in my book). The bourbon vetiver, derived from the roots, is joined by oakmoss and patchouli. In other words, there is no citrus here to speak of. The liquid is also quite dark compared to other vetiver scents, and among the four darkest. I would compare it most similarly to Vétyver Haiti from Comptoir Sud Pacifique or Carlo Corinto Vetyver. L’Artisan Vetiver also has a good, though not great duration. In sum, this is one of the better vetiver-based scents I've tried, and more extensive wearing is warranted.

Vetyver L'Homme from Lanvin is soft and understated, with barely perceptible vetiver. The Lanvin website, with a surprising amount of detailed information, notes that François Robert from Synarome was asked to update this scent for modern times (it was first made in 1964 and discontinued), and that 10 of 14 raw ingredients are all-natural, including the alcohol. While an update has certainly happened, I would be pleased to experience the original in order to know if this was an improvement or not, for Vetyver L'Homme, in addition to being soft and understated, is somewhat fruity and slightly sweet; not nearly as evocative as its pyramid would suggest. Indeed, downright uninspiring imho and, hence, probably just right for many office settings.

Vetyver from Jo Malone is also great straight out of the bottle, with sparkling citrus leading the way over the top of a very subtle vetiver. The Jo Malone website notes that vetiver “is blended with sweet orange, nutmeg, and tarragon to create this powerful, mysterious fragrance.” True enough, I can appreciate the spices, though they too are quite subtle. Unfortunately, as has been my experience with other Jo Malone scents, Vetyver quickly tapers off and after just 120 minutes I can barely appreciate it. However, all in all I like it quite a bit and, given the chance to reapply a couple of times each day when worn I think this could be a winner!

Black Vetyver Café from Jo Malone is great straight out of the bottle, with fairly subtle vetiver mixing with a deep, rich, aromatic coffee scent. Unfortunately, it quickly tapers off and after just 90 minutes I can barely appreciate it. While somewhat unique, as a result of its brevity it pales in comparison to some of the other excellent vetiver-based scents I've tried.

Guerlain Vetiver is an all-time classic, and one of my favorite scents. It is a powerhouse scent which leaps out of the bottle, if that makes sense. The initial blast is very strong, with strong citrus, bergamot, and neroli notes mixing with equally strong vetiver and some cedar. As the citrus notes recede (over 3 hours!) the vetiver steps forward some more, accompanied by a subtle tobacco, cedar, and black and red pepper. There is also said to be tonka bean in the mix, but I don't consider this sweet in the least bit. The effect is an amazing, protracted drydown and sillage for a men's EDT fragrance, and one that you either love or dislike. I happen to love it.

Fresco di Vetiver from i Profumi di Firenze is a wonderful surprise! This vetiver is beautiful straight out of the bottle, very fresh with wonderful, Sicilian lemons mixing with Javanese vetiver. These citrus topnotes are still evident 2 hours after application! The vetiver note is handled with a deft touch, and only now is beginning to step forward. There is no sweetness I can appreciate, nor any woodsi- or muskiness. Overall, this is a very refreshing and wonderful scent, and quite possibly even challenging Guerlain Vetiver, though whether this Profumi fragrance develops and lasts through a protracted drydown is another story. Highly recommended and a must-try for vetiver lovers!

Vetiver by Histoire de Parfums EDC. This vetiver is fairly subtle, soft, and a little sweet. It is still evident 4 hours after application; not bad for an EDC. However, it is not very exciting, and pales in comparison to some of the other excellent vetiver-based scents I've tried.

Vetiver Oriental from Serge Lutens, tried for the first time from a sample vial. I've been looking forward to trying this based on all the discussion on this board, and I am not disappointed. It is a thick, heavy, somewhat sweet scent that definitely has a lot in common with other Serge Lutens fragrances. In particular, the vetiver here is a bit light, joined immediately by amber, vanilla, perhaps sandalwood, and some spices that are subtly reminiscent of chocolate. This is certainly gourmand, and as such it is a bit much for daily wear in my book, especially on hot days. I think this could be a powerhouse fall/winter scent, just like Ambre Sultan. Very nice, but still not really challenging Guerlain Vetiver, which has both more vetiver and refreshing citrus notes.

Gendarme V EDT, is a soft, flat scent that does nearly nothing for my nose. It has an ozone-character like Mark Birley, but with little of the interest. Alongside the faint vetiver note is a scent like celery. Overall, I am very unimpressed with this scent, though perfectly fine with having tried it.

Vétiver Extraordinaire from Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. This is quite interesting, and a little disappointing. The first mind association I experienced when applying this was that is smells just like charcoal lighter fluid, with a vaporous, ozone-like quality. Upon closer inspection there are sour, spicy topnotes mixed in with the vetiver, the amber and musk waiting in arrears. I'll continue paying attention to this one's evolution, but I don't think it can top Guerlain's version, which I dearly love. However, Vétiver Extraordinaire is obviously very well made and undoubtedly a favorite of many.

Vétiver from the Demeter Fragrance Library. I couldn't find out much about the composition of this fragrance, though I suppose it's possible that it is a single note scent. In any event, this is a light and slightly sweet fragrance. The vetiver is not that noticeable, rather there is a smell not unlike maple syrup, though not this sweet. This could be a vetiver bourbon, come to think of it, for there does seem like a sweetish fermentation took place. I used 1/2 of a 1/24th oz. test vial, and it is almost gone within one hour.

Creed’s Original Vetiver, tried for the first time from a tester vial. OV on my skin is a soapy citrus frag with only a modest hint of vetiver. *After the first 15-20 minutes the soapiness starts to recede and the vetiver steps forward, only to reverse course after another 20 minutes. The soapiness is intriguing, and on initial application I didn't think it would last very long. However, it acquitted itself very well, as it deepened and hung on nicely with excellent sillage; truly a well-crafted scent. I do not like it as much as my dear Guerlain Vetiver, but I think a decant is warranted. If that goes well I would certainly consider a full bottle, just based on its depth and sillage.

Vétyver Haiti from Comptoir Sud Pacifique. This vetiver is unlike any I've tried before. It is both soft and creamy, but also somewhat dark and earthy. It is quite strong when first applied, but not at all sharp like Route du Vetiver or Vétiver de Puig. There seems to be a maté-like note as well. A very interesting take on vetyver and certainly worthy of a try.

Vettiveru from Comme des Garçons test vial, is a very nice vetiver scent. It is quite straightforward, with a clean, soft vetiver note throughout, accompanied initially by what seems like both green olive and soft floral notes. Now five hours later it is still noticeable, and the base remains predominantly vetiver with perhaps some cypress or cedar, and incense. I'm going to get a decant of this so I can see how it is when sprayed. So far, this one is tied with Carlo Corinto for top honors.

Caswell Massey's Vetiver Cologne, and is this ever a stinker! It is somewhat sweet, with a character like maple syrup, the vetiver barely perceptible. After two hours it is absolutely gone...nothing. I usually encourage anyone to try just about everything...this cologne is not one of them.

Carven Vetiver EDT is quite simple, and very disappointing in its longevity. So far, of the four, the Carlo Corinto is my favorite.

Carlo Corinto Vetyver EDT. This is a very fine vetiver I'm finding! It is an earthy, aromatic vetiver, with a hint of licorice or anise to my nose in the opening. There are no citrus elements to speak of, and I would approximate it to how Route du Vetiver smells after 3-4 hours; perhaps a little softer with some sandalwood in the base. The liquid itself has a reasonably dark greenish hue, and is among the two darkest in the vial of these 27 samples (with LV Vetiver). The Corinto version is really nicely done, however, and should warrant a serious try from any dedicated vetiver lover.

Pure Vetiver from Azzaro. Sadly, this too is nothing special and also very light. I applied a full 1/2 of my full sample vial and it is scarcely noticeable four hours later. This vetiver has a slightly fruity, though chemical accord; both this and the Goutal version absolutely pale in comparison to my still favorite, Guerlain Vetiver.

Creed's Bayrum Vetiver. I've never seen this discussed before. It opens with a real kick of spice, sans pepper - sort of like Chai. This is fairly short-lasting and then a nice, earthy vetiver note emerges, not unlike Goutal's Vetiver. I like this just fine, but the initial spiciness does little to accentuate the vetiver, which is my real attraction; definitely worthy of trying, however.

Annick Goutal Vetiver EDT is nice enough, though quite simple and fleeting. It opens with a reasonably strong, smoky, salty character with a hint of spices; no citrus is apparent. Unfortunately, it disappears on my skin within 3 hours after a linear, unimpressive drydown. A brief description of the notes per Sephora.com: Java Vetiver, Rare Wood, Burmese Spices, and Sea Salt Aroma. I much prefer my Guerlain Vetiver, which lasts twice as long and presents a beautiful, evolving drydown.

Synopsis: on the first pass through the sampler collection, the top seven impressions I developed were for the following:

Carlo Corinto Vetyver EDT
    Vettiveru from CdG
    Fresco di Vetiver from i Profumi di Firenze
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Route du Vetiver from MPG
    L’Artisan Vetiver

I’m also going to retry Annick Goutal Vetiver, based its frequent praise here, and to see if I may have “missed it” during my first pass through. I’m also going to retry Creed’s Original Vetiver, Malle’s Vétiver Extraordinaire, Comptoir Sud Pacifique’s Vétyver Haiti, and Lutens’ Vetiver Oriental.

So, it’s time for some head-to-head comparisons.

Round #1: Annick Goutal Vetiver vs. Guerlain Vetiver
    Summary: Smoky vs. Citrusy; spice vs. tobacco; simple vs. complex; brief (~3 hours) vs. long-lasting (~8 hours).
    Result: Guerlain Vetiver by a knockout

Round #2: L’Artisan Vetiver vs. Vétyver Haiti from Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Summary: Equally compelling openings; vetiver/cedar/mint vs. citrus/floral/creamy; Vétyver Haiti, while interesting the first two hours, begins to get a bit wearisome and cloying with a “tropical punch” character; L’Artisan just gets better and better; both last ~8 hours.
    Result: L’Artisan by technical knockout

Round #3: Fresco di Vetiver from i Profumi di Firenze vs. Creed’s Original Vetiver
    Summary: Wow! Strong, impressive openings from each, OV slightly muted; slightly sweet citrusy vs. soapy vetiver; both powering forward after 1 hour with no letup; Hrs. 2-4 Fresco slightly sweet/fruity while OV’s vetiver hesitatingly steps forward, joined by a pepper note; 4+ hours, Fresco clears its fruit/sweetness and settles in with vetiver and woods, while OV has a monotonous, unfolding soap/vetiver/pepper note; by 6 hours OV has thrown in the towel duration-wise, while Fresco hangs on; 8+ hours, Fresco subtle but still present; close race, but neither approaching either Guerlain or L’Artisan.
    Result: Fresco di Vetiver by split decision

Round #4: Carlo Corinto Vetyver vs. Comme des Garçons’ Vettiveru
    Summary: Both are nice! Full/rich/powerful/earthy vs. lighter/green/herbal; 30 minutes in, and both are throwing off a little soapy character; is that a green olive note in Vettiveru?; 2 hours in, both still going strong, Vetyver both stronger and noticeably soapier; After 4 hours, Vetyver is stronger than when first applied, wow! Vettiveru soldiers on, with a softer, herbal/floral accord; After 8 hours, no sign of Vetyver letting up, while Vettiveru is now very soft and presenting a little spice; 12+ hours: Vetyver still hanging on, with a very powerful patchouli and/or sandalwood base that just won’t quit; Vettiveru no longer around. Very impressive from both but Vetyver, the dark horse, is an amazing old-school fragrance that is a brute of a powerhouse!
    Result: Carlo Corinto Vetyver by unanimous decision

Round #5: Malle’s Vétiver Extraordinaire vs. Lutens’ Vetiver Oriental
    Summary: Two powerhouse niche vetiver scents! Malle greener and herbal vs. Lutens’ ambery touch; not very different; 2 hrs. in and little change, except Lutens’ trademark amber coming to fore; truthfully, neither are very compelling; after 4 hours, the Malle scent has gone linear with little further evolution, while the Lutens number is dissolving into its amber and vanilla base, barely any vetiver perceptible; after 6 hours, VE the same and unchanging, while VO has lost all vetiver character; 8+ hours, both still present, though only VE resembles vetiver; 12+ hours, both still there, and the same as at 8 hours. Overall, each was unimpressive to my (and my wife’s) nose.
    Result: Malle Vétiver Extraordinaire by split decision (and only because it never lost sight of its vetiver note)

Round #6: Route du Vetiver from MPG vs. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Summary: Two heavyweights! Raw, piercing, sharp vetiver note (sometimes akin to bug spray on initial application) vs. big, shaggy, smoky, unruly vetiver note; very different, but equally strong; 30 minutes in and they’re converging; after 2.5 hours, they’re both beautiful and mellowing! I can appreciate the black berry in RdV, while LV Vetiver is grooving with smoke and earth; after 7 hours, RdV barely noticeable while LV Vetiver is still solid. Both are smelling wonderful! I love either, but someone has to win.
    Result: Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver by very close, split decision (and an overall great battle!)

Semi-Final Round #7: L’Artisan Vetiver vs. Guerlain Vetiver
    Summary: Two more gladiators! Very different openings, with L’Artisan quite a raw and earthy vetiver (though again, not as raw as Route du Vetiver), while Guerlain leads with noticeable citrus up top. Indeed, switching from L’Artisan right to Guerlain results in the latter smelling a bit floral; 2 hrs. in, L'Artisan about the same - straightforward, earthy vetiver, while the citrus topnotes in Guerlain sure do last and add complexity; 4 hrs. in, L'Artisan beginning to soften and mellow, but otherwise about the same. Guerlain also softening, with vetiver and a pipe tobacco note emerging through the still-lingering citrus (OT: Man the citrus in Guerlain Vetiver lasts! Why can few other manufacturers of citrus-based frags do this?); 6 hrs. in and L'Artisan is definitely mellow and soft now. A chocolate-like note is apparent, but overall very soft. Guerlain, on the other hand, still strong with tobacco and pepper supporting the vetiver with remnants of citrus still apparent. 8+ hours, L'Artisan gracefully bowed out, while Guerlain hangs on, not as tenaciously as Carlo Corinto, but still soldiering on nonetheless.
    Result: Guerlain Vetiver by unanimous decision

Semi-Final Round #8: Carlo Corinto Vetyver vs. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver
    Summary: Ok vetiver fans, after a brief respite the second semi-final is upon us! Here we have two different takes on our classic vetiver note, both of which handily defeated their earlier opponent. And the bell rings...CC Vetyver comes out moderately strong, with a harmonious blend of citrus and vetiver. LV Vetiver, on the other hand, leads as big, strong, raw, shaggy, and smoky as before...downright unruly. Against each other, LV Vetiver is the stronger on initial impressions; after 30 minutes Vetyver has softened just a pinch, as has LV Vetiver, with little change in character in either; 2 hours in, and CC Vetyver has acquired a subtle soapy note, and amazingly is once again stronger than on initial application! How do they do that? LV Vetiver has mellowed considerably, and it seems that cedar has joined the vetiver; 4 hours in, and CC Vetyver remains harmonious and well-crafted, the soapy note receding while the vetiver is a little more evident, along with another woody note (oak?). LV Vetiver at 4 hours is continuing to mellow, and now the scent seems to take on a faint herbal/celery note amidst the vetiver, cedar, incense, sage, and mint...very interesting; 6 hours and both are quite mellow, LV now the more complex and interesting.
    Result: A draw! The judges confer... this match will be repeated, and Route du Vetiver will be invited back to face-off against Guerlain Vetiver!
    Added comments: This was a very tough decision. For the first four hours I favor the Carlo Corinto Vetyver, as it begins both more harmonious and wearable, Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver very strong, 'shaggy', and unruly at the opening. However, after two hours Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver is mellowing, gaining interest, and catching up. In another hour or two LV Vetiver gets very interesting and wearable. Carlo Corinto Vetyver is still very nice, but now fairly unchanging. Both are superb and I am going to be sure both are in my collection.

Semi-Final Round #9: MPG Route du Vetiver vs. Guerlain Vetiver
    Summary: Nothing but titans left in this contest, and these two are no exceptions. RdV opens as sharp and raw as ever, while Guerlain Vetiver opens very harmonious, with citrus topnotes over a solid vetiver core; 90 minutes in and neither have budged very much; 2 hours in, and the vetiver in Guerlain is stepping forward, along with some cedar, pepper, and early hints of tobacco. Route du Vetiver at the 2-hour mark is softening, and the black currant note is becoming noticeable; 4 hours in, and Guerlain is a very harmonious blend of vetiver, cedar, and tobacco. RdV is still mainly vetiver, but now appropriately mellow. RdV remains more medicinal than Guerlain, though; 5 hours in and little is changed, except each is slowly becoming more mellow; 8 hours in, and both are still hanging on...barely. Great efforts from both, but from start to finish it's...
    Result: Guerlain Vetiver by a close but unanimous decision

Semi-Final Round #10: In a rematch, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver vs. Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Summary: The rematch is on! There'll be no draw this time. There could hardly be two more different vetiver scents than these two! LV Vetiver as big, strong, and aromatic (shaggy) as ever, while CC Vetyver is softer, with a more harmonious blending of citrus and vetiver than even Guerlain's version, along with a hint of soap; 1 hour in, and LV Vetiver is basically unchanged, though not as aromatic, while CC Vetyver does a near-disappearing job. But prior experience with this scent tells me to know better; 3 hours in, and true to form LV Vetiver has picked up some cedar, sage, and possibly musk, while CC Vetyver is stronger than at 1 hour, and picking up some complexity (cedar and/or oak?) along with lingering citrus (and mint?), reminiscent in a strange way of Ungaro II. Overall, again a close race (my wife favors the CC Vetyver at this stage); 6 hours in, and LV Vetiver is now very soft with hints of vetiver, incense, and musk (the effect is close to body odor), while CC Vetyver is a soft, smooth woodsy vetiver scent with a possible hint of sandalwood and/or amber. Once again, this is very close. The trueness of the vetiver in Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver is admirable and very well done. However, in terms of overall wearability, complexity, and interest, Carlo Corinto Vetyver is a true shocker! Plus, the wife's opinion does matter, so on balance a decision is now possible...
    Result: Carlo Corinto Vetyver by split decision!

Championship Final Round #11: Guerlain Vetiver vs. Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Summary: The respective champions are in place, and only one will be left standing when this is over! Extra strong doses of each are applied in order to obtain decisive impressions. Guerlain pounces out immediately with citrus, including lime, and with vetiver evident though slightly in reserve. Carlo Corinto Vetyver also starts citrusy, but with accompanying herbal notes and its' vetiver even more in reserve. Of the two, Guerlain has the more 'raw' character, though it cannot challenge Route du Vetiver, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, or even L'Artisan Vetiver for rawness; 1 hour in, and Guerlain powers forward the citrus just starting to recede, while CC Vetyver softens a touch, its own citrus backing off slightly; 3 hours in, and Guerlain remains a very harmonious citrus and vetiver scent; the citrus is surprisingly longlasting. CC Vetyver, as in every instance before, has taken on a subtle soapy character (less so than Creed's OV), through which vetiver is peeking; the prior herbal note is gone; 5 hours in, and both scents are beautiful. Guerlain is a very smooth blend of lingering citrus, vetiver, cedar, pepper, and tobacco. CC Vetyver has little or no remaining citrus, while its vetiver is smoothly blended with other notes, including possibly sandalwood or patchouli. On balance, there is more vetiver character remaining to the Guerlain version at this point; 7 hours in, and the tide is turning. Guerlain persists, amazingly, with citrus amidst the vetiver, sage, and cedar, but it is becoming disjointed. CC Vetyver, by comparison, soldiers on very harmonious, with pleasant, soft woods over vetiver, and either sandalwood or patchouli (at least to my nose); 8+ hours, and an upset is in the making! Both persist, but now Guerlain's harmony has completely fallen apart. A remnant vetiver core stands alone, some tobacco over there, and other assorted notes in a mish-mash. Sad, really. Carlo Corinto Vetyver, on the other hand, is still hanging together very well, soft, harmonious, and woodsy, just more discrete than at the 7-hour mark. I could never have imagined this, but Guerlain Vetiver, one of my all-time favorites, is going down in defeat in this head-to-head, final match.
    Result: Carlo Corinto Vetyver by split decision!

Final impressions:
    This has been quite an exercise! It was fun, educational, surprising, and even intense at times. I've discovered an incredible darkhorse in Carlo Corinto Vetyver! I had not even heard of this scent prior to receiving the sampler collection. Then, too, there was shock when in the middle of this we learned of Parallax442's untimely fate. I have tried to be balanced and objective, which meant I was always having to check my fondness for Guerlain's Vetiver. In the end, I developed my strongest appreciation for: Carlo Corinto Vetyver, Guerlain Vetiver, Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver, and MPG Route du Vetiver, with L'Artisan Vetiver in honorable mention. In other words, my favorites were generally characterized by the rawest, earthiest, 'purest' vetiver scents. However, at the end of the day, the two left standing to fight for the championship happened to be those with the most citrus and other harmonious blendings. In other words, the least raw, earthy, or pure of the finalists. All deserve our attention, and I plan to acquire a bottle or decant of each for my collection. I hope you've enjoyed following along, and may your own journeys on vetiver road be enjoyable and fascinating. Until next time...

Jeff
    Last edited by wicozani; 18th January 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Default Re: Vetiver Redux (very long!)

Thank you for the super read, Jeff. Although I am not familiar with all of the vetivers in your competition, of the five I do own I think your critique/synopsis is dead level.

Tried purchasing same kit in July or August. Enjoyed parallax442's mini-reviews so much I printed them when socalwoman listed them in another thread. I understand his wife will be re-opening Liquid Art soon.

I'll be staying tuned to find out which vetiver claims victory.

I've been longing for this post! I was just about to write you yesterday (I had used some Guerlain Vetiver shower gel and Santa Maria Novella's Vetiver hehe), forgot about it, logged on this morning and saw this.

Thanks a lot for sharing. I wish to do something like this with tea scents. It might take a while though.

Quote Originally Posted by bottoni
    ... Enjoyed parallax442's mini-reviews so much I printed them when socalwoman listed them in another thread...
    Where is this thread? I tried searching for it. I was going to suggest that someone do just this.

Wow.
    Thank you for a wonderful post. Looks to be a labor of love.

I have tried the following Vets accmpanied by my humble impression:

1) Creed O.V. ---Too soapy for my taste

2) L.V. Vetiver---Very dry w/ signature L.V. pepper note.

3) Roger & Gallet---Light fruity / citrusy fast fading, but a nice frag

4) Annick Goutal Vetiver---Very salty. Dry to the point of being acrid. I have to give this some more time giving mind to the reviews.

5) Carven Vetiver---Similar to Guerlain yet not as complex or rich. Still a fine frag.

6) Vetiver Guerlain.---To me this is THE vet. Rich, complex, full, long lasting. This is the benchmark by which all other Vet fragrances should be compared.

7) Route du Vétiver MPG---Raw, earthy, almost too harsh.

Most of the Niche Vetiver scents are a bit too dry, salty, or earthy to my taste.
    I look forward to trying the Oriental S.L. and the L'Artisan.

Thanks again Jeff for your yeoman like work.

Jeff,

Let me add may appreciation for this extensive labor of love. While I may have a few quibbles (I'm a much bigger fan of Goutal's version), I have enjoyed your descriptions enormously. Any way we could convince you to embark on a patchouli adventure?

Jeff, this is a very impressive post, a labour of love indeed. My compliments!

I put Guerlain's Vetiver and LV's Vetiver on top of my list, in no particular order. They are just two favourites of mine.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Great post. A great read.
    Thanks.

Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Jeff, this is a "super" thread, I also have appreciation for Guerlain's Vetiver, I would be keen to have you analyse Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez, could it qualify for a late entry?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Thanks a lot for great review.
    I have to disagree with you in cases of Serge Lutens, Artisan and Goutal.
    SL and AG are my very different vetivers of love!

Hope you`ll find Vetiver Grandiflorum and Vetiver Etro also pleasing.
    I regret that you have not try Mazzolari vetiver. I want to know about it more.

Wrote down in my try-list Carlo Corinto, Profumi di Firenze and CSP - after your review.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Hats off to your post, Jeff! I'm biting my nails waiting for the final round! Shame that Route du Vetiver didn't make it, it "coulda been a contendah"!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Jeff, thank you for a wonderful post.

i have tried some of the fragrances you mention - malle, MPG, l'artisan, goutal, l'occitane, creed, guerlain and apart from a spell when i wore l'artisan for quite a while, for me nothing beats guerlain. its killed my fragrance passion because nothing beats it!

i find the others all trying to be a bit too clever, like they're trying to find a different take on something. all very good, but the simplicity of guerlain wins out every time.

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Jeff, this is a "super" thread, I also have appreciation for Guerlain's Vetiver, I would be keen to have you analyse Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez, could it qualify for a late entry?
    Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    Thanks a lot for great review.
    I have to disagree with you in cases of Serge Lutens, Artisan and Goutal.
    SL and AG are my very different vetivers of love!

Hope you`ll find Vetiver Grandiflorum and Vetiver Etro also pleasing.
    I regret that you have not try Mazzolari vetiver. I want to know about it more.

Wrote down in my try-list Carlo Corinto, Profumi di Firenze and CSP - after your review.
    Thanks to everyone for your comments, thoughts, and suggestions. We are bound to disagree on several or many of my own perceptions, and I'm both ok with that and respectful of everyone's opinion. I undertook the L'Artisan vs. Guerlain semi-final round late yesterday afternoon, but found I was too wiped out by a very large grant that we finally placed in the hands of FedEx around 1600 hours, and my nose just felt "off." Anyone else have this happen to them on occasion?

I have not tried Vetiver Hombre, Grandiflorum, or Vetiver Etro, but would be keen to sample them. If either of you have a sample I would be happy to add them to the mix, as it were. I will repeat the L'Artisan vs. Guerlain match later today and report the results tomorrow. Thanks again and power to all lovers of the vetiver plant!

Jeff

Great job Jeff. A delight to read and think about.

You help my love of vetiver a lot. I'll look for the Carlo Corinto also.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

This was superb Jeff, great work here

Would Bulgari pour Homme be counted as a vetiver? I sampled it on the skin today, and vetiver seemed the predominant note in this admittedly light fragrance.

Jeff, *great post. *Pehaps others will do what you've done in respect to orientals, acquas, etc.

Never smelled the CC vetiver but I'm not surprised; no one's ever complained that Corinto frags are too subtle or don't last long. *His stuff bites!

As for the original juice by Lanvin try

http://store.perfumedistributor.com/...lmetsp17u.html

apparently very hard to find, hence the price

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I haven't tried everything on your comprehensive and closely analyzed list, but I will say that Azzaro's "Pure" series is rather badly misnamed. Neither the Pure Vetiver nor the Pure Lavender fragrance lives up to its name. Neither one seems more than distantly related, to my nose, to its putative central ingredient. I don't remember that the Pure Vetiver smelled like much of anything, to be honest, except something faintly bitter. Maybe that's all it takes to mass-market the idea of vetiver? "Make it dry and sort of grassy, and most people will think it's vetiver"?

(The Pure Lavender, by the way, gave me an instant headache: to paraphrase Douglas Adams, it was like being smashed in the back of the head with a slice of lemon, wrapped around a large purple brick.)

I note also that the link provided by Mario appears to refer to the old Lanvin Vetyver, but the picture on that page is definitely the new Vetyver L'Homme. I find it a bit confusing, myself.

Default Semi-final round #7 decision!

...and the decision is in! Guerlain Vetiver over L'Artisan Vetiver by unanimous decision! Carlo Corinto Vetyver vs. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver looms ahead!

Jeff

Now that I'm back from five days in Alaska, stay tuned for the result of the second semi-final round; Carlo Corinto Vetyver vs. Lorenso Villoresi Vetiver, two very different takes on vetiver.

Jeff

In a stunning verdict, Carlo Corinto Vetyver vs. Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver has been declared a draw! Read all about the match, and the implications for the semi-finals!

Jeff

Default Re: Vetiver Redux (very long, but hopefully fun!)

Bump for a semi-final decision. In brief, it's Guerlain Vetiver over MPG Route du Vetiver! Read above (original post) for the full play-by-play.

Jeff

This just in! It's Carlo Corinto Vetyver in a stunner over Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver!

Only the Finals remain, with the standard-bearer, Guerlain Vetiver squaring off against the darkhorse, Carlo Corinto Vetyver. :-/

Jeff

Exciting!

Default Re: Vetiver Redux - A New King is Crowned!

The Championship has concluded, and a new King has been crowned! Read the original post to find out all about the upset, and feel free to post your own comments, reflections, thoughts, and even criticism. Thanks for bearing with me during this long and arduous process, and giving me the encouragement to see this through!

Jeff

Great work, Jeff!
    I gonna make a repetition of Carlo Corinto on my skin.

But I`m sure that on my vetiver box-ring the finalists will be another: RdV MPG and AG (or VE FM).
    And split desicion should give me a Winner - Route du Vetiver!!!

Again - it was a great pleasure to read your sport review
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Jeff: *Did anyone send you Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez yet?

Have you tried Fragonard's or Etro's?

Has anyone *tried them? * :-?
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    Jeff: *Did anyone send you Vetiver Hombre by Adolfo Dominguez yet?

Have you tried Fragonard's or Etro's?

Has * anyone *tried them? * * :-?
    Shame on me for not seeing your post in a timely manner. No, I have not had an opportunity to try Vetiver Hombre yet; I'm certainly willing to! Also, Chris (DustB) very graciously sent me some samples that included the Fragonard and Etro Vetiver samples (along with Molinard, Floris, and de Nicolai versions), and I'm in the process of wearing them, taking notes, and will post an update to this Redux post when I'm finished. I've not yet worn the Fragonard. Take care.

Jeff

Default Re: Vetiver Redux-Update (five new scents added!)

Dear Basenoters,

As noted immediately above and made possible by the generosity of DustB, I was provided with five more vetiver scents that I have now spent some time with, and so have added them to the original description on the first page. Unfortunately, I do not have the time to have a new contest with them included, so I can merely provide my thoughts on them at the moment. These new vetiver scents are the first five immediately following the addendum. Enjoy and please feel free to continue to share your thoughts!

Jeff

Thank you for mentioning Fragonard and Molinard and they so deserve to be in this list

Nothing to be added you just have them so right

thank you

laurent
    Invisible Power

Excuse me for ransacking the male fragrances, but I'm looking for female equivalent...

Is Guerlain Vetiver too powerful for the ladies??

Quote Originally Posted by Haadi
    Excuse me for ransacking the male fragrances, but I'm looking for female equivalent...

Guerlain recently released Vetiver pour Elle for women

Quote Originally Posted by Haadi

Hello, and welcome! Personally, I don't think Guerlain Vetiver is too powerful for a woman. My wife occasionally spritzes herself with it and the result is very nice! ;D It is a nice departure from the usual floral, sweetish scents she prefers.

Jeff

Thank you! Will check them out.

Once again a great post

laurent
    Invisible Power

I don't have anything to add to the discussion of an informative nature, but I do have a post: This probably goes back to the 1960's, so perhaps there will be less response, but I have a recollection of trying a fragrance which was haunting and evocative. Its name was Vetiver de Vetiver, and I do not know the maker, but I remember wanting some when I was of age. I have now reached that age, but know no more now than I did then of the provenance of this fragrance. Anyone remember back that far?

Need a summer-scent/light-scent, and consider going for Guerlain Vetiver - blind though.
    I kind of like Vetiver Extraordinaire, but don't like the "dirty" touch on it...So I wondered if Guerlain's is more "clean", and more suitable for a 16-year old?

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    Need a summer-scent/light-scent, and consider going for Guerlain Vetiver - blind though.
    I kind of like Vetiver Extraordinaire, but don't like the "dirty" touch on it...So I wondered if Guerlain's is more "clean", and more suitable for a 16-year old?
    I would definitely recommend that you try Guerlain Vetiver first, instead of buying it blind. It is not at all light, and can be very aggressive to some noses; not mine, though, for it is one of my favorites. In a lighter vetiver vein, and that are actually obtainable, I would recommend that you try Vetiver EDC by Roger & Gallet, and Vetiver EDT from Jo Malone. These are both lighter, with sparkling citrus topnotes, and I would think much better for a 16-year-old than Guerlain Vetiver. Please tell us of your experiences in trying whatever vetiver scents you end up getting a chance to try and/or buy. Happy New Year!

Jeff

Sad to hear, since here in Norway no shops sell Guerlain's Vetiver..But the fact that it's not so light, isn't that bad. What i'm looking for in general, is a scent that will suit me on hot summer-days. And I would guess I'm not that sensitive to those "aggressive" notes, seeing that I actually like Vetiver Extraordinaire, if it wasn't for that harsh note (rotten peppery-like - guess most people know what I mean)...And one could easily get GV 75ml for apx. 20$

wicozani: Any new vetivers added to your list, like maybe The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver? Maybe I should add a few more I would love to see up here: il Profumo - Vetiver de Java, Parfums de Nicolai - Vetyver, Le Labo - Vetiver 46, Jalaine Fragrances - Vetiver, Santa Maria Novella - Vetiver.
    Last edited by shifts; 8th November 2006 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    wicozani: Any new vetivers added to your list, like maybe The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver?
    Yeah, I would really want to read more about this one, definately in comparison with the other vetivers, as I both adore The Different Company ánd the vetiver-note.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    wicozani: Any new vetivers added to your list, like maybe The Different Company's Sel de Vetiver? Maybe I should add a few more I would love to see up here: il Profumo - Vetiver de Java, Parfums de Nicolai - Vetyver, Le Labo - Vetiver 46, Jalaine Fragrances - Vetiver, Santa Maria Novella - Vetiver.
    As a matter of fact, since this thread's last update, I have now experienced Patricia de Nicolai's Vetyver, Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre, and Miller Harris' Vetiver Bourbon. I plan to evaluate these a little more closely in relation to others in this post, perhaps this weekend, and then update the thread some more.

I have not yet run across the renditions from The Different Co., il Profumo, Le Labo, Jalaine, or SMN. I'll try to acquire some samples of these. Thanks very much for the continued interest in this thread!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    Miller Harris' Vetiver Bourbon

Equally interested in hearing about this one!!

Where did you find Creed's Bayrum Vetiver ? It's discontinued, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    Where did you find Creed's Bayrum Vetiver ? It's discontinued, right ?
    Yes, I also understand that it has been discontinued. I received a sample vial of it in the large vetiver sampler collection that kicked off this obssession with me! That said, I have seen it pop up on the 'bay occasionally.

Jeff

I haven't tried Creed's Bayrhum Vetiver but it might be interesting to compare it with Helan - Vetiver & Rum. The Helan has a nice harsh note kind of reminiscent of Versace L'Homme.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Vetiver Redux and updates, a comprehensive survey...
    This just floored me and I must not have been ready for vetivers last year. Otherwise I cannot explain why I missed that before. I have never seen a fairer approach to select ones favorite
    out of a fragrance family! This is one of those threads one would like to come back to for advice. Rather than blindly searching for extraordinary threads like this here, I would love to see them in a special archive for 'Basenoters Best' (great potential for Googling these, too! ).

p.s. One vetiver I missed finding: Adolfo Domnguez, Vetiver Hombre
    Last edited by narcus; 21st May 2007 at 09:02 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Vetiver Redux - this just floored me! How come I missed it last Winter? I must not really have been ready for Vetiver...

Adolfo Dominguez: I only know this designer who made a few colognes for one reason only: Vetiver Hombre. People whose judgement matters to me have kept praising it! I wonder why you have left this one out. Can anyone please tell me how it compares to Malle's Vetiver X (present favorite) or Guerlains' ? . I find Sel de Vetiver very, very nice ! but before I buy that I need something more real and earthy...
    Thank you, Narcus, for bringing this thread back! Vetiver Hombre was not included in the original post because I did not own it yet. Many months later I acquired a decant and so am now able to compare directly against Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire and others. For that matter, I must admit that I have come to appreciate Vetiver Extraordinaire quite a bit, and so also acquired a decant of this recently. Lastly, I also now have a decant of Sel de Vetiver, so I shall make good on my promise of several months ago to get these "new" arrivals properly evaluated and shall thusly post an update to this thread ASAP!

Jeff
    Last edited by wicozani; 21st May 2007 at 08:56 PM.

wow is all i can say that is an admirable post good work check out the vetiver in Bond Eau de Ny i love it and i am a Vetiver lover.

bueno

Thanks Pluran, for bringing this up! Wow... after how many searches about vetiver and I never saw this! Excellent! Wonderful!

For me - in the order of interest for me:

1. Vetiver Extraordinaire - Malle
    2. Route du Vetiver from MPG
    3. Guerlain Vetiver
    4. Vetyver - Parfums de Nicolai
    5. Vetyver - Lanvin

These are the only fragrances that I have that supposedly Vetiver is the main ingrediant - but I agree with Jeff's original post that Lanvin really doesn't have much vetiver at all, and many other fragrances that don't use the word in the title have more!

Thanks again Jeff for the wonderful original post! I'm going to have to try Carlo Corinto Vetyver and Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver based on your post!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Thanks Pluran, for bringing this up!...
    He put a lot into it.

Corinto Vetyver's a great one that most people will never smell. Vetiver and cedar rarely had it so good. It's distinctive, manly, and easy to wear. It was the first Corinto fragrance, made when the house was first being established, but was discontinued because of some ambiguity about new ownership of the house. It's a much better fragrance than most $200 niches.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd May 2012 at 07:43 AM.

I have a nostalgic association with Annick Goutal's Vetiver from the mid 90's when I was visiting Paris for the first time. Annick Goutal's version works well IMO if sprayed sparingly NOT in close proximity to the nose as it really has good sillage - so good that it can be cloying if sprayed too much and too close to the nose - such as on the neck. At least that has been my experience with it. The scent has a masculine "gentility" about it IMO.

Your reviews are much appreciated! I sought out awhile back Carlo Corinto's (which I bought blind on ebay!) & Guerlain's (classic) vetivers!

Have you tried Frederic Malle's French Lover? It seems (to me) to be a more refined version of LV's Vetiver.

Great thread. need to study closely.

As a self proclaimed vetiver lover. Here are a few recommendations of some unsung heroes:

Chanel - Sycomore: vetiver takes center stage on this one. it is dry yet moist and earthy at the same time. perfectly unisex. not sure if they discontinued this. it is only sold in Chanel boutiques in 200ml size. get a decant you wont regret it!

Lalique - Encre Noire: This was released in 2006 (after "Redux") This one has two types of vetiver with cashmere wood and cypress. Great balance of vetiver and wood.

Bath and Body Works - Indian Vetiver: There isnt even a listing for this obscure gem in Basenotes directory. This is light, bright and unisex. It has citrus notes of grapefruit, nutmeg, lemon pepper, tobacco and lovely vetiver which has great longevity. This has been discontinued but can be found online if you look hard enough. But don't worry its not too pricey. Great summertime vetiver!

Excellent, excellent thread.

I too would like to see how Encre Noir stacks up against the rest of the Vetivers.

In my limited testing, Guerlain's Vetiver reigns supreme.

S

encre noire, sycomore, vetiver dance, vetier 46 reviews coming i hope ?
    If you see this, please be warned that my wardrobe is woefully out of date. It may never be updated. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, but be warned!

I never saw how Sel d' Vetiver did in the the test. I would also like to see Givenchy Vetyver and Turtle Vetiver from LesNez added to the competition. Both are very vetiver competition worthy.

Hi all,

New to the forum.

I've been looking for two vetiver fragrances for a while now, but not having much luck in tracking them down (checked online and local department stores). The two that i'm after are:
    1: Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    2: Carolina Herrera Vertiver

Does anyone know where I can purchase these fragrances. I'm UK based so stockist in the UK / Europe would be preferable but don't mind purchasing online from an outlet based in the US if that' the only option.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Kash.