Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clive Christian perfumes

I tried two of these absurdly expensive perfumes yesterday. Clive Christian 1872 and X for men.

They smell nice though the whole thing looks a bit like a marketing trick.

What are your opinions on the Clive Christian scents?

Default Re: Clive Christian perfumes

Great quality fragrances but extortionately priced. A lot of people are unhappy that Clive abandoned the traditional & prestigious Crown perfumery fragrances at the expense of marketing his over-hyped fragrances, he also has the exclusive rights for the use of the crown stopper (argh!)...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I sampled both 1872 and X for men. While they were pleasant enough, I personally didn't think they were worth the steep price tag. What puzzled me especially was the fact that 1872 didn't last any longer than 3 hours on me. For an expensive fragrance, I would expect to get a lot of mileage out of it. Amouage is another fragrance house that fits this category IMO. Nice scents, but I wouldn't pay the high price.

Default Does anyone like Clive Christian???

Im just wondering if anybody had love for any fragrances this house has to offer?

Default Re: Does anyone like Clive Christian???

Nope...not for those prices. They're okay, but nothing to jump up and down about imo.

I enjoy them quite a bit.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

They are "nice", but certainly not worth the price IMO. To me they are designer-level fragrances being sold at ultra-niche prices.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've sampled them in store and they weren't bad - strong fougere-ish masculines if I recall correctly. Quite frankly the price is so aburdly overinflated I don't give them much thought. Keep in mind I will spend those prices on a bottle, but I better be getting something damn special for my money. It seems obvious that the prices are set deliberately high to aim for the market of people who want to say they bought the most expensive bottle at Saks....

Expensive ho-hum but perfectly fine smelling colognes for those super-rich people who feel the need to pay more for something.

Though I think I'll never buy any of them comfortably, from generous samples I've found Nr 1. for Men an extremely nice scent, especially the drydown.
    As to the price: in my eyes it has nothing to do with the scent itself on the shelf. Several times I wrote my point: I buy so few bottles that when I buy now and then the price is not really a factor.
    Yea, and 1872 for women, again especially the very drydown, is working very well on my skin.

Absolutley. I am wearing Clive No. 1 today. This is a beautiful elegant house. To say these scents smell like average scents on the market is not true. 1872 is an amazing citrus scent that lasts forever, X is an amazing cardamom and Iris scent that is spiked with pepper and is exotic and No. 1 is an amazingly flowery, smooth, citrus ambery scent. Nothing smells like it on the market and it does smell expensive.

Price should not be used as a reason to not like the house. Yes he did take over Crown perfumery and close it down and a lot of people are angry about that but that does not take away from the fact that this is an amazing house.

I enjoy Clive Christian. "X" for Men is terrific, though the sillage could be better. It's my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Price should not be used as a reason to not like the house. Yes he did take over Crown perfumery and close it down and a lot of people are angry about that but that does not take away from the fact that this is an amazing house.
    I agree and disagree about the price issue. Yes, cost has nothing to do with whether or not the fragrances are any good. I like to read reviews that don't reference cost. However when it comes to purchasing and ownership cost is very relevant. I have bottles that cost more then CC bottles, but there is something about them that commands that cost i.e. age, rarity, historical significance, etc. What about Clive Christian scents are so different that they command those prices? I'm not talking about the diamond capped bottle that costs $2100, but the 'regular' bottles. One can walk into any Saks or Neimans and buy a bottle, so they aren't rare. They don't use uber-exotic materials to my knowledge..... so why are bottles so expensive?

If you like them all the power to you, but I absolutely think price-gouging is a reason not to like the house.

Contrast CC with MDCI, who readily tells consumers that you are paying for handmade crystal bottles with the high cost and offers refill bottles for much less (though still not cheap).
    Last edited by shermanirving; 9th July 2009 at 09:22 PM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by shermanirving View Post
    I agree and disagree about the price issue. Yes, cost has nothing to do with whether or not the fragrances are any good. I like to read reviews that don't reference cost. However when it comes to purchasing and ownership cost is very relevant. I have bottles that cost more then CC bottles, but there is something about them that commands that cost i.e. age, rarity, historical significance, etc. What about Clive Christian scents are so different that they command those prices? I'm not talking about the diamond capped bottle that costs $2100, but the 'regular' bottles. One can walk into any Saks or Neimans and buy a bottle, so they aren't rare. They don't use uber-exotic materials to my knowledge..... so why are bottles so expensive?

If you like them all the power to you, but I absolutely think price-gouging is a reason not to like the house.

Contrast CC with MDCI, who readily tells consumers that you are paying for handmade crystal bottles with the high cost and offers refill bottles for much less (though still not cheap).
    Exactly.

I don't like houses that charge $300+ for a $50 smell.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Ha, never had the chance to try something from them. Even a sample costs 20 €. Someday I'll buy Clive Christian and shut it down.

Blog Entries

I got some samples from Les Senteurs or somewhere, they were free. It was a little cotton pad in foil that is good to wipe on one time.I wasn't impressed. They smelled ok but not for the insane prices. I think the hype is what it's all about. I would rather have a creed or a Bond, They are about the same quality, if not better, IMO. Now that I think of it, the One I recall best, maybe #1, was a light verbena scent. It reminded me of Heeley Verbena that I already have. Light, somewhat floral/fresh. Nice but not $2000 worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    They smelled ok but not for the insane prices. I think the hype is what it's all about.
    I sniffed some from CC line on paper, don't remember which ones. Since I knew there's no way i'd be paying these prices, I did not make an effort to test further.

I agree with kumquat -- there are so many wonderful scents, even at niche prices, than I'd rather pass on this example of "perfume snobbery."
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

Yes, but not all of them.
    X for Men: cardamom, cardamom, cardamom!!! I cannot emphasize enough the love that I have for this scent. I even save it for special occasions. In reality it's a chypre, full of resinous, dry oakmoss from top to bottom. I find Ormonde Man similiar but inferior to it.
    X for Women: Gucci Rush. However, I did not know this before splurging on a 100ml bottle! But it lasts a whole lot more than Rush and is slightly more creamier. Gorgeous.
    1872 for Men: a weird citrus. Starts off like a citrus chypre, zesty and resinous. Then transforms into X for Women!!!!!! Literally! Stunning.
    1872 for Women: I share Turin's hatred on this one. It's pleasant and all. But it's just that: pleasant and nothing more. A boring citrus floral that could easily be mistaken as a masculine.
    No. 1 for Men: My cousin worships this stuff! But it's similiar to X for Men but less resinous, less cardamom, and less interesting. Not bad but definetly not worth it's price tag.
    No. 1 for Women: A boring carnation floral similiar to the current Bellodgia. Yawwwn.

I like them.
    I especially like going into a shop that carries them and having them spray some on my arm.
    I walk out thinking
    "Hey, that's three bucks worth I have on my arm, and I'm going to enjoy sniffing it the rest of the day"

Regards,
    Renato

No. I haven't liked anything they produce.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Exactly.

I don't like houses that charge $300+ for a $50 smell.
    Eactly. I posted too soon. This about sums it up!
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I love and have Clive Christian No. 1 regardless of the price. I only wish that it was available in 100ml.

I can't afford a sample.

Better yet it cost too much to look at from the internet.

Yes! I like the three Clive Christian for Men fragrances very much.

I bought 3 of his masculine scents at the Perfume House in Portland, Or. They are 10 ml and come in beautiful, heavy bottles with brass caps.

I really like all 3, especially #1, but my only disappointment was their longetivity and projection. For being "parfums" they seem (to me) kind of weak.

About the prices, if you visit CC's website he talks at length abut the rarity of the materials and how much work goes into harvesting them...I'm not knowledgable enough regarding the notes to make a judgement, but these colognes do indeed smell classy and elegant.

Is the "most expensive perfume in the world" justified? For me, not enough to buy full bottles, but for a bit over $200 I do like having the sampler package.

After reading this post I checked my bank account and realized I had blown my mortgage payment... but it was a good post and worth reading again after I sell some plasma
    At your service

I like X for Men. I can try it any time at the two counters carrying the range and I took advantage of that last winter on a few different evenings. Will come back to it when it cools down and if I still feel the same way and have a bit of a windfall or something I may spring for it for Xmas. I find the X for Women quite an interesting 'dressed up' scent for a woman but the others don't really grab me. Both seem to last a long time from just one spray. (I wore the Men but took Women away on paper).

PS I asked the SA how CC actually sells and she said 3 or 4 pieces a week (times two outlets = half a dozen or so units pw) so it clearly has it's fans even if we don't see them here on basenotes.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 10th July 2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: PS

I tested all of them about a year ago. I remember liking #1 and X but they did not move me enough to purchase any of them. Then again my tastes have changed so it would be interesting to re-test but now thinking about it its probably best to stay away from this house. All I need is to fall for another uber-lux scent.

Blog Entries

All the stuff about expensive ingredients, don't a lot of companies say the same? The prices aren't anywhere near CC's. Creeds, Profumum, Mazzolari, Montale, SMN, Parfum. Gen., there are dozens of quality frags that are priced in the inner stratus-sphere, not in 2nd mortgage territory. I think it's insanity to give them your $ for a fancy bottle and a snob appeal campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Nothing smells like it on the market and it does smell expensive.
    Have you tried Wode (the blue spray-paint perfume)? Also done by Geza Shoen, and very similar to X...but cheaper.

Default Clive Christian No. 1

Has anyone here ever used it?

Default Re: Clive Christian No. 1

It's an unquestionably great fragrance. Smooth, refined, dignified and rich.

Not sure if it's worth the price, though, but if you visit CC's website, he explains why his frags are so expensice (ingredients, quantity, harvesting, etc).

Sur la Plage

I think it is nice, but nothing special - and certainly not worth the price it costs.

A really great scent, especially the very drydown - which lasts and lasts. I have a generous sample, and should I need one more again, I will have freely, so price is not a factor

When I tried on a spray, it didn't feel anymore special than a standard niche. Not really that distinctive either. Lastly, it didn't last very long considering its a EDP.

A really great sent and worth every penny.

I inherited 1872, X, and No.1 and was very underwhelmed. To me it seemed like snobbery at it's highest, I mean who would name a fragrance No.1 just because it's the most expensive blah blah, I think it was more about being expensive than it was making a piece of olfactive art. They are all pleasant, but not pleasant enough for the price they are being sold for.

Dependent

If i ever bought anything that expensive, I'd being thinking to myself : where would i live now? in the bottle?
    Last edited by MFJ; 18th July 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    If i ever bought anything that expensive, I'd being thinking to myself : where would i live now? in the bottle?
    I am sure some of us would if we could. I am still thinking about buying a sampler, though.

Wode is similar to Clive Christian X (for men)?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Have you tried Wode (the blue spray-paint perfume)? Also done by Geza Shoen, and very similar to X...but cheaper.

I think they are very nice fragrances, but the issue for most is obviously the cost.

I try to approach everything though the maximization of value. One maximizes value by maximizing quality within one's means and at the same time minimizing expense. So basically the quality is the numerator and the denominator is the expense.

With Clive Christian's fragrances one can definitely see the denominator. The 100 ml gold adorned stopper flasks at Neimans I believe go for roughly $600 USD + local sales tax. So the denominator is definitely there for most people. The trouble as I perceive it is with the numerator. Perhaps Clive Christian's numerator is more about exclusivity and presentation and perhaps less about the fragrance itself. Some people desire this and consider these fragrances worthy, others do not.

However, if No. 1, 1872, and X were going in the $25 -$50 USD range per 100 ml, there would be a mad rush to purchase them! Even well north of that price range many people would be very interested. But at roughly $650 USD for 100 ml, like most, I think I will pass.

TJ

Ah. I remember when I first encountered this house while poking around looking at all the other things I couldn't afford at the Saks website. First thought: "Okay, so how much does this stuff cost without the fancy-schmancy diamond-topped bottles?" In any event, I have no doubt that those of you who have tried these scents and enjoy them have arrived at that decision through your own noses and not simply to rationalize the expense, but undoubtedly for the well-heeled demographic these products primarily cater to most of the appeal is simply in the pricetag. It's interesting to take a little time out for self-reflection when considering things like this though. I mean, to consider what I believe to be a great deal on fragrances that I enjoy and realize that there are many people who can't afford to spend 40, 30, 20, or even 10 dollars on a relatively small bottle of nice-smelling liquid. Not trying to get all preachy here, I just feel very fortunate that I am able to support this hobby of mine.

I've been debating with myself for ages whether or not to buy the Sample Travel Set which contains 10ml samples of X, No.1 and 1872 perfumes by CC. I bought a 1ml sample online but thought it was very nice it was too little for me to make a decision.

A bit of googling led to the following:
    "So what was the brief for the perfume to surpass all other perfumes? To make the best possible perfume mankind has ever known using the best ingredients regardless of rarity or price. As some of the ingredients used are increasingly rare, the perfume bought this year may not even be possible to produce next year as one of the ingredients may no longer exist. This will undoubtedly mean that those precious bottles in the perfumery's archives will skyrocket in value each year. The two most expensive ingredients are natural aged sandalwood from India and Tahitian vanilla.

The 2008 version of the fragrance has top notes of pineapple, plum, mirabelle and peach, heart notes of jasmine, ylang ylang, orris and carnation, and base notes of vanilla, benjoin balm, tonka seeds and cedarwood. It comes in the classic lead crystal bottle with a diamond set in a gold collar."

Read more: http://beauty-products.suite101.com/...#ixzz0O19fPtSw

So, I guess he is using 'rare' and 'the best' and 'natural' ingredients. That does sound good. I'm all for natural ingredients in perfumes even if it means the sillage isn't as long.

any comments? Any other perfumes that only use natural ingredients? (Isn't Joy by Jean Patou another one).

They are great fragrances IMO, and own bottles of all three.

Quote Originally Posted by naqshbandi View Post
    I've been debating with myself for ages whether or not to buy the Sample Travel Set which contains 10ml samples of X, No.1 and 1872 perfumes by CC. I bought a 1ml sample online but thought it was very nice it was too little for me to make a decision.

"So what was the brief for the perfume to surpass all other perfumes? To make the best possible perfume mankind has ever known using the best ingredients regardless of rarity or price. As some of the ingredients used are increasingly rare, the perfume bought this year may not even be possible to produce next year as one of the ingredients may no longer exist. This will undoubtedly mean that those precious bottles in the perfumery's archives will skyrocket in value each year. The two most expensive ingredients are natural aged sandalwood from India and Tahitian vanilla.

The 2008 version of the fragrance has top notes of pineapple, plum, mirabelle and peach, heart notes of jasmine, ylang ylang, orris and carnation, and base notes of vanilla, benjoin balm, tonka seeds and cedarwood. It comes in the classic lead crystal bottle with a diamond set in a gold collar."

So, I guess he is using 'rare' and 'the best' and 'natural' ingredients. That does sound good. I'm all for natural ingredients in perfumes even if it means the sillage isn't as long.

any comments? Any other perfumes that only use natural ingredients? (Isn't Joy by Jean Patou another one).
    I would highly recommend buying the travel set.

I bought mine at The Perfume Shoppe in Portland, OR. Don't regret it a bit. For a little over $200. for 30 ml of pure perfume, it's a steal...well, at least compared to the regular--sized bottle prices.

X and 1872 are unworldly.

#1 is one of the most beautiful frags in the world.
    Last edited by Butthead53; 13th August 2009 at 02:41 AM.

Clive Christian is definitely use synthetics in their perfumes. You could smell it yourself - or just read on the back of box. They should type anything that is in IFRA regulatory act. Some of names (like linalool or coumarin) could be just the signs of lavender or tonka beans natural absolutes too. But I`m definitely smell the air of modern synthetics there.

Natural perfumes is another story - try Mandy Aftel perfumes, or Strange Invisible Perfumes, - they are more dense, musty and smells somehow mushroom-y. They are great by itself, but once tried natural perfumes, you`ll never mix them up with half-synth-half-natural perfumes.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sur la Plage

They are very nice fragrances. If you can purchase them for < $60, I would go for it. It is all they are worth IMO.

I own all 3 as well and agree with Mr. Butthead completely - couldn't have said it better.
    They really do seem to be of better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    I would highly recommend buying the travel set.

I bought mine at The Perfume Shoppe in Portland, OR. Don't regret it a bit. For a little over $200. for 30 ml of pure perfume, it's a steal...well, at least compared to the regular--sized bottle prices.

X and 1872 are unworldly.

#1 is one of the most beautiful frags in the world.

OK, I will stick my neck out for this one...

The way I see it, perfumes are like motorcycles...stay with me, now.

Lots of 'em out there to choose from and they all do the same thing: get you from Point A to Point B on two wheels. I would say 99% of them are mechanically sound: Japanese, Italian, British, American, German.

But you see people going crazy to pay the pricetag for the Harley-Davidson lastest-Glide. Why? The engines leak in many models...

You get the prestige of thundering down the roadway with those screaming pipes. Heads turn and everyone will know you paid premium for your motorcycle. Chicks will give you the eye! Even in your garage alone polishing that teardrop gastank, you can take pride of ownership!

So it is with premium perfumes. You can take pride of ownership that you spent tons of money for the prestige of spraying something that most people cannot afford.

While I adore niche scents and have paid nice cash for some bottles, I can say the proof is in the sniffing. I have a very cheap bottle of knockoff perfume that smells better and lasts longer than the original! By "knockoffs," I mean those cheap scents marketed as "smells like..."-- I am not referring to fakes sold as the real thing.

Yes, the way to go would be to sample the small set--then, if taste and wallet are in agreement, go for the larger bottle.
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th August 2009 at 04:13 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Lesson number one in perfume is: don't believe the marketing hype. It's basically bull. It may be that a perfume contains a tenth of a milliliter of sandalwood so as to make the claim not a lie - but as has been said, the Christians are very conventionally made natural plus synthetic perfumes and you can get equal quality designer scents for € 50. If anyone loves them so much they feel they are worth the price, so be it - but there is no objective basis to claim they are in any way superior in terms of cost of ingredients or development. If you would like to smell an amazingly good all natural perfume I suggest Tabac or Grezzo by profumo.it. If you want to smell a stunning not-100% natural perfume, try Shalimar or Bois des Iles. You already have Joy, and that one is divine as well. And one of the best recent creations: L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer, also brimming with top-notch oils.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have tried all three and I really only liked X. It is definately a great fragrance, but I too am not sure that I would pay the premium for it. It is a $200.00 fragrance being sold for $450.00(+).

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Lesson number one in perfume is: don't believe the marketing hype. It's basically bull. It may be that a perfume contains a tenth of a milliliter of sandalwood so as to make the claim not a lie - but as has been said, the Christians are very conventionally made natural plus synthetic perfumes and you can get equal quality designer scents for € 50.
    Well said, the_good_life! Yes--hype and bull!

Clive Christian is known to have bought the house of Crown Perfumery for the crown bottle, then discontinuing the original scent line. The current bottles are based on the women's fragrance bottles with the flat sides. Check the archives on the dismay over this.

"Hype" is a perfect word for so much of perfume marketing, esp. in the so-called "older" perfume houses. Just look at D'Orsay and Rance 1795. Spin a fancy tale, have some impressive bottles and: voila! Most of the pedigree is media spin, as the "real" older houses have fallen into demise and have been revived/bought out.

Many fragrance houses appeal to the aristocratic elegance some people seek--inspired by noble fashion trendsetters of bygone eras. The house of D'Orsay was started up in 1908 with a huge marketing "tale" on the Comte d'Orsay supposedly being a perfumer (who was a real, live French aristocrat long dead at the time the company was started); check "The Perfume Handbook," second edition. Ditto for the house of Rance 1795, documented by Luca Turin, as supposedly the official perfume house of Emperor Napoleon the First.

The most egregious marketing is perhaps the three-feather logo of Creed. It resembles the coat-of-arms of the Prince of Wales, suggesting a Royal Warrant. Anyone from old times would certainly have recognised the three-feather ruse, which was also associated with women's court headdress.

A blog on Creed by our own the_good_life:

http://perfumedpolitics.blogspot.com...-pasts-of.html

Again, if wallet and nose are in agreement, go for it! Just be aware of the hype for what it is: bull. (P.S. I'd like to own a travel set just for the heck of it. They are darling little bottles!)
    Last edited by Primrose; 13th August 2009 at 04:12 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

They are all good! And yet I will never buy a single one. Most firms are profit maximizing in their behavior so I always wonder if more money is made selling something at 10 times the cost but selling alot less product. Its a fine balance so I suppose its working for CC.

This is the only one I really liked out of the line too, and unfortunately it didn't have very good sillage on my skin.

At Nordstrom it's $355 for 1.7 oz.
    http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2944453?...:referralID=NA

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I have tried all three and I really only liked X. It is definately a great fragrance, but I too am not sure that I would pay the premium for it. It is a $200.00 fragrance being sold for $450.00(+).
    Last edited by AnthonyDG; 14th August 2009 at 04:26 AM.

when i first got into fragrances last year, 1872 and X were among the first niche fragrances i smelled. i loved them. but i found this forum and thought to myself that perhaps i was a bit of a noobie. so i embarked on the fragrance journey for roughly a year, sampling fragrances all over manhattan during lunch breaks, after work, etc. and i bought a lot of samples via the Perfumed Court.

then, today, i was in Saks and decided to try 1872 and X again - now that my nose is more refined. and again i loved them. i haven't smelled anything like either of them. sillage may not be great, but i love these fragrances and it bugs me because they are so pricey. but there is nothing like them. try to name one fragrance that smells like either of them.
    Last edited by union1411; 29th August 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by union1411 View Post
    when i first got into fragrances last year, 1872 and X were among the first niche fragrances i smelled. i loved them. but i found this forum and thought to myself that perhaps i was a bit of a noobie. so i embarked on the fragrance journey for roughly a year, sampling fragrances all over manhattan during lunch breaks, after work, etc. and i bought a lot of samples via the Perfumed Court.

then, today, i was in Saks and decided to try 1872 and X again - now that my nose is more refined. and again i loved them. i haven't smelled anything like either of them. sillage may not be great, but i love these fragrances and it bugs me because they are so pricey. but there is nothing like them. try to name one fragrance that smells like either of them.
    Keep your eyes peeled - I got both 1872 and X at a good discount with no more than 5% used. I really love both of them.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I really liked the X, wish it was less expensive.

Great fragrances but way too expensive.
    Gary

I bought Crown Bouquet EDP for $18.95 USD and I can also enjoy the bottle with the little crown.

Yes, too expensive...