Code of Conduct

Default Lasting power of Bvlgari Black?

Okey, I`ve never ever smelled this one, but now I am finally anxious to order it.
    It is a interesting fragrance without a question, but I`ve heard some concerning comments about it`s (poor) longevity, and actually that is my only worry...
    Still, beside the lasting power, have you any comments about the scent overall..?

One my specific curiosity: Does Black have anything in common with YSL`s Body Kouros?

Thanks.
    :-*

Default Re: Lasting power of Bvlgari Black?

On my skin it has quite well longetivity. At least 6-8 hours I think. Just remember that it changes. The rubber-smell tones down after some hours and the vanilla starts dominating instead. If you don't like vanilla then this is definitely not for you. You probably won't have the rubber-smell all day. I still like it very much though and it will actually be my next buy.

I don't remember it as having a lot in common with Body Kouros. Or any other fragrance really. I don't know if there's anything else out there that smells like rubber. As always, I recommend testing it first though.

On me it also lasts a pretty long time. Great scent!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

It seems to last a long time on most people, it disappeared quite quickly on me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    It seems to last a long time on most people, it disappeared quite quickly on me though.
    Exactly. To be honest, I don`t have the
    possibility to sample this scent before ordering. And now it seems almost a fifty/fifty chance that it will actually stay on my skin for long enough...
    I have great, great experiences with Annick Menardos scents, and so I really would like to love this one also....Actually, A.Menardo is my favourite parfumeur at this time, and I am in good speed to get all of her creations. And of course, Bvlgari Black is perhaps one of her biggest, if not the biggest creation of all times.

So, I guess have no choice, but to get order going on

Well you can get bottles for around $25 on eBay so it's not a high risk investment. It's also very desirable on these boards and I'm sure a lot of people would trade for it if you don't end up satisfied with it. I traded mine for Xeyrus Rouge and 2 high end decants within 6 hours of posting it for trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    Well you can get bottles for around $25 on eBay so it's not a high risk investment. It's also very desirable on these boards and I'm sure a lot of people would trade for it if you don't end up satisfied with it. I traded mine for Xeyrus Rouge and 2 high end decants within 6 hours of posting it for trade.
    Thank you for your advice, but unfortunatly I am living in europe without any major credit card, so it is more difficult...But I will try ;D

It lasts a decent time for me but it stays close to the skin and doesn't project much after the first hour. The basenotes could be compared to Body Kouros. However, Black is darker and "bassier" than Body Kouros, which fits its name quite nicely.

If you try to scrub it off with soap, repeatedly, it won't come off completely. I guess it must be stuck to your skin at a cellular level and you must wait till your skin cells dry up and flake off before the smell is eliminated totally. Is this helpful in telling you anything about the lasting power of BB?

Bulgari Black used to be a top five scent for me, nowadays i hate to admit it, but I think I dislike it. On me it lasts TOO long and it gets too sweet and heavy with vanilla. I wore it a few weeks ago to give it another shot, and it really got irritating quick. This was made worse by the fact that I had kept the bottle in a gym bag, and a tiny bit leaked and now my bag makies me gag every time I need something out of it.

Plus I should mention that while the bottle looks cool, it is a piece of crap. I've had two bottles of BB and BOTH of them had the spray mechanism break. One, i have no way of getting the juice out of. The other, it works only if you push and pull the nozzle manually, but I'm sure its on its last leg. Also several other basenoters have had this happen. Hell, even the nozzle on my BB shower gel broke. Terrible design. For a company that supposedly manufactures superior jewelry, you'd think they could engineer a decent spray bottle.

Also, I would point to you in the direction of L'Artisan's Dzing. it smells almost exactly the same as BB, except is less cloying with vanilla, a bit dryer, and alot more complex in the drydown. Much better scent in the details. Don't get me wrong, I thought BB was the bees-knees when I first got it, but these days, I find it to be a bit smothering to wear. I'll wait until its below zero out and maybe it'll be nicer then. Dzing might be more expensive, but when you factor in that its spray bottle will not crap out on you, leaving you with a 90% full bottle of fragrance, that will not dispense, then it will not be good for anything more than playing hockey with. Try Dzing if you get a chance.

But as far as longevity issues with BB, I think it lasts a long time, but it tends to get too sweet for me, but then again, I'm moving away from sweet scents and Orientals. Still, it was my favorite for a while and it may be yours too.

I knew about that sprayer problem and since I bought a NIB bottle I ever since handled it with EXTRA care. I never switch from ON to OFF and I always push the button with both hands. I wonder if I can go through the whole bottle without any problems.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

What's the purpose of the ON and OFF twist mechanism anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    What's the purpose of the ON and OFF twist mechanism anyway?
    So that you don't accidentally spray the juice when you carry it in your gym bag! Or other such occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    [quote author=Xen link=1130536980/0#11 date=1130574455]What's the purpose of the ON and OFF twist mechanism anyway?
    So that you don't accidentally spray the juice when you carry it in your gym bag! Or other such occasions.[/quote]
    But who would wear such a heavy scent to the gym? ;D And since it's so fragile, who would put it in a gym bag?

But who would wear such a heavy scent to the gym? ;D And since it's so fragile, who would put it in a gym bag?
    Hmmm, i wonder who indeed:

I wore it a few weeks ago to give it another shot, and it really got irritating quick. This was made worse by the fact that I had kept the bottle in a gym bag, and a tiny bit leaked and now my bag makies me gag every time I need something out of it.
    ;D

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    [quote author=Xen link=1130536980/0#13 date=1130577346]But who would wear such a heavy scent to the gym? ;D And since it's so fragile, who would put it in a gym bag?
    Hmmm, i wonder who indeed:

I wore it a few weeks ago to give it another shot, and it really got irritating quick. This was made worse by the fact that I had kept the bottle in a gym bag, and a tiny bit leaked and now my bag makies me gag every time I need something out of it.
    ;D[/quote]

Hmm, that might be why I had such a hard time testing it in the store. Is the spray mechanism supposed to jump back up automatically? I think it's the first fragrance bottle where I've actually felt like an idiot standing there in the store using an entire minute or so before I actually got some of the juice out... Maybe I should just buy a small bottle so I'm not stuck with a huge bottle if it breaks and I need a new one.

25$? I've only been able to find it in one store here in Denmark and it retails at 80$.
    Everything is quite expensive here though. Anybody knows how much it retails for in the Netherlands? I'm going there soon...

Why not get it cheap at perfumebay.com, strawberrynet.com or fragrancedirect.co.uk? They've all got pretty good deals. And Ebay of course, cheap ones available there too.

I really do know that I would love the actual scent, and
    the lasting power sounds to be nice enough, at least...
    But now I am scared of that spray mechanism thing. It is amazing that after several breakdows they can`t do anything with it. Could it be impossible to re-design that mechanisn, if not the whole bottle..? Or is it the case that people don`t actually complain about this matter, so they wouldn`t know..? I don`t think so.
    Anyway, I guess I hold the call to my foreign friend to sent me a bottle. :-/

It doesn't last long on me either. None-the-less I still like the scent a lot, particularly if I over spray with it.
    What's more it has dual usage. Women who have forgotten their perfumes, are very appreciative of a blast of this stuff when they're leaving.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    I really do know that I would love the actual scent, and
    the lasting power sounds to be nice enough, at least...
    But now I am scared of that spray mechanism thing. It is amazing that after several breakdows they can`t do anything with it. Could it be impossible to re-design that mechanisn, if not the whole bottle..? Or is it the case that people don`t actually complain about this matter, so they wouldn`t know..? I don`t think so.
    Anyway, I guess I hold the call to my foreign friend to sent me a bottle. :-/
    Buy the smallest bottle and when you get it, leave the top at the "on" setting. I've yet to have the sprayer breakdown on me. Even if it breaks down on me, i'd surely find some way, come hell or high water, to decant the scent into an atomiser. It's too precious a juice for you to ignore.

I did once open an almost empty 2.5 oz bottle of Bulgari Black, which has been leaking. No problem. First you rip off the whole sprayer mechanism, then you take a nipper and do the rest. It took me 20 seconds. ;D

With this technique you can open every bottle.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Yes, I did indeed put a bottle of BB in my gym bag, but let me explain...

I wasn't going to the gym.

I had just gotten off of work and I walked into my apartment 20 mins away from work when...Oh, sh!t...I realized I had the bar keys in my pocket and had to return them so the bartender could lock up when he left. But then I got to thinking, I wanted to impress this cute black chick who is the new hostess, so I wanted to change out of my uniform and into some hip clothes before returning to work. *And *since I reeked of second hand smoke from work, I wanted to freshen up before going back. *So I was trying to think what fragrance I had that would appeal to this hot little black chick, and naturally Bulgari Black popped into my head. *Not because of the "black" thing, but because it was a heavier, sweeter scent, and I thought this might impress her. So I spritzed some on, threw the bottle in my bag with my CD's (I always take my bag when I'm going somewhere in my car).*Well, the good news is, she likes me...the bad news is...I found out she's in HIGH SCHOOL WTF!?!?!?!?!?! *You can just never tell these days. *As much as I'd like to go for it anyway, I think it would be a huge mistake.

But anyway, this was like a month ago, and my bag just reeks of BB. A few weeks ago, *I borrowed a CD from one of the chefs, and had put it in the bag, and when I returned it to him, it also reeked of BB. *He was probably thinking WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Yes, I did indeed put a bottle of BB in my gym bag, but let me explain...

I wasn't going to the gym.

I had just gotten off of work and I walked into my apartment 20 mins away from work when...Oh, sh!t...I realized I had the bar keys in my pocket and had to return them so the bartender could lock up when he left. But then I got to thinking, I wanted to impress this cute black chick who is the new hostess, so I wanted to change out of my uniform and into some hip clothes before returning to work. *And *since I reeked of second hand smoke from work, I wanted to freshen up before going back. *So I was trying to think what fragrance I had that would appeal to this hot little black chick, and naturally Bulgari Black popped into my head. *Not because of the "black" thing, but because it was a heavier, sweeter scent, and I thought this might impress her. So I spritzed some on, threw the bottle in my bag with my CD's (I always take my bag when I'm going somewhere in my car).*Well, the good news is, she likes me...the bad news is...I found out she's in HIGH SCHOOL WTF!?!?!?!?!?! *You can just never tell these days. *As much as I'd like to go for it anyway, I think it would be a huge mistake.

But anyway, this was like a month ago, and my bag just reeks of BB. A few weeks ago, *I borrowed a CD from one of the chefs, and had put it in the bag, and when I returned it to him, it also reeked of BB. *He was probably thinking WTF.
    LOL! And this is why i love Indie's stories! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by minilomaniac
    Hmm, that might be why I had such a hard time testing it in the store. Is the spray mechanism supposed to jump back up automatically? I think it's the first fragrance bottle where I've actually felt like an idiot standing there in the store using an entire minute or so before I actually got some of the juice out... Maybe I should just buy a small bottle so I'm not stuck with a huge bottle if it breaks and I need a new one.

25$? I've only been able to find it in one store here in Denmark and it retails at 80$.
    Everything is quite expensive here though. Anybody knows how much it retails for in the Netherlands? I'm going there soon...
    Hi Minilomaniac,

I just bought it today (and also the deo stick). I do not know where you live in DK but I live just outside of Copenhagen and I have no trouble finding it at all............and also at the "normal price" (kr. 300-400).

Let me know if you need any advice where to buy it.

Mic.

Oh no... I bought the 75ml bottle :'(

Why do you have to leave it 'ON'? Is the problem with the ON-OFF mechanism or the spritzer itself?

What's so great about the smell of burning rubber and vanilla? I think ALL Bulgari scents are WAY over-rated, and I doubt I will ever buy any of them.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    What's so great about the smell of burning rubber and vanilla? I think ALL Bulgari scents are WAY over-rated, and I doubt I will ever buy any of them.
    The burning rubber note is actually lapsung tea! The more weird a perfume smells, the more you want to smell it, to try to get what it's about... and you'll get tired of it less quickly.

I agree that a few of Blvgari's scents are over-rated like it's green tea fragrance. But Bvlgari pour Homme deserves all the praises it has received!

Lets hope The Rouge is another winner

Why do you have to leave it 'ON'? Is the problem with the ON-OFF mechanism or the spritzer itself?
    Both. Often people are not careful and turn too much. The space between On and Off is almost nothing. Some people turn half the radius and wonder why it's broken now. If the plastic for the On Off mechanism is broken, you can normally still spray without any problems. Often when the juice is going down, the sprayer gets stuck when just pushed. Then you need to lift it again for the next push. I recommend pushing with two hands because of the centered push.

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Its the on-off mechanism. Do not turn it off and on- leave it on always! If you turn it off and on, the whole thing will get to a point where it "free-wheels" and you can't turn it on. And also when you depress the sprayer, it won't rise on its own, you'll have to pull it back up. The bottle SUCKS! Consider yourself warned.

Its like when i was ten years old and I collected Star Wars figures. Darth Vader (note the fitting analogy to Bulgari Black!) had a notoriously flimsy neck. My cousin told me that if you turned Darth's head 360 degrees just one time, his head would fall off. I scoffed- It sounded like an urban legend. On all Star Wars figures with turnable heads, you can turn and turn and turn. So anyway, I thought he was joking. I gently turned Darth's head exactly one rotation, and...sure enough his head fell off. Fortunately $3.00 bought me another Darth Vader...

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    [quote author=Xen link=1130536980/15#25 date=1130639438]Its like when i was ten years old and I collected Star Wars figures. Darth Vader (note the fitting analogy to Bulgari Black!) had a notoriously flimsy neck. My cousin told me that if you turned Darth's head 360 degrees just one time, his head would fall off. I scoffed- It sounded like an urban legend. On all Star Wars figures with turnable heads, you can turn and turn and turn. So anyway, I thought he was joking. I gently turned Darth's head exactly one rotation, and...sure enough his head fell off. Fortunately $3.00 bought me another Darth Vader...
    Great story! Unfortunately, $3.00 can't get me another bottle of Bvlgari Black ;D
    I have always been careful with the twist mechanism. I twist it with two fingers and immediately stop once I get the 'click'. I actually enjoyed playing with it for a while ;D Guess I better not play with fire...no...I mean...twist mechanism.

Edit: Does turning it 'on' cause the juice to be more exposed to the air?

Update: Just to add to your story, there's a black toy figurine(Stikfas) invented in Singapore and it's suppposed to be displayed instead of being played with. I told my friend not to fiddle with it cause it looked fragile. He said 'come on.... what could possibly happen to an action figu..SNAP!' Maybe the Bvlgari Black bottle is better for displaying than usage...

I know it`s little silly to bring this thread/subject up from so far away, but I did it anyway. Reason for it: I finally got this scent yesterday (I got it as a gift along with Jaipur), and now I`m naturally excited. I love Black very very much. What came as a (big) suprise to me, was that it`s drydown seems to be extremely powdery. (not a bad thing)
    I`ve only tested it once, but to me lasting power does not seem to be a problem at all. Great scent overall and I am very happy to own it, at last!

Big thanks to everyone who were involved with this thread. ;D

awesome fragance, B.B was one of that blind purchases that i feel that could be an impressive smell, and thats right, its unique, sensual, intimate, light and stay there close to senses...

beautiful ...

Oh it lasts, make no mistake about that. the only problem is WHAT lasts: that delectable rubber accord is gone all too soon, and what you smell hours later is the much more bland vannila smell. its really a tragedy.

For someone who otherwise has no problems with fragrance longevity, BB just won't last that long on my skin :'(. It's a unique and superb scent, one you'll never regret purchasing.