Code of Conduct

Default Is there such a thing as an everyday winter scent?

Whenever I think of winter scents I think of scents to wear in the evening during winter. I know I'm just getting started in the fragrance world but is there such a thing as an everyday winter scent? Something I could wear while in class? (I'm a college student btw). I tried Gucci Envy but IMO its an evening winter cologne and more of a mature scent in itself.

Default Re: Is there such a thing as an everyday winter sc

If I only had one scent to wear in the winter..it would be...HIM-A-LAY-A ;D

I'm beginning to love Himalaya myself, although it seems to transcend seasonal considerations. Its spicy notes seem to kick in more in the cold while in the heat, the citrus/woodiness kicks in. I love it.

I haven't had the chance to try Himalaya but a few fragrances that came to mind at first from your description:

Guerlain - L'Instant
    Thierry Mugler - B*Men
    Versace - Dreamer
    Frederic Malle - L'Eau D'Hiver

Quote Originally Posted by Sokra
    I haven't had the chance to try Himalaya but a few fragrances that came to mind at first from your description:
    Ohh... so so good.

That's funny! When I saw the topic, I instantly thought about Eau d'Hiver! My SotD by the way

Nemo is another easy to wear fragrance for winter.

Comme des Garçons 3 and Zagorsk.

Blog Entries

...and for us cheapies:

GUERLAIN WINTER DELICE! *;D

Unfortunately discontinued but can still be found online. When applied with a light hand (decant and dab / roll NOT spritz) this is perfect all winter long. Clean, woody, spicy, warm, resinous and just all round yum! *:-*

Also recommend:

Balenciaga Pour Homme (clean spicy - very long lasting)
    YSL Nu (Incensy, warm & spicy)
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine (Cinnamon on light warm fruity vanilla base)
    Jean Pierre Sand for Men (lightly spicy, subtle but does not last overly long)
    The Body Shop Javari (richer, more affordable, longer lasting version of JPG Le Male)

Hope That Helped *
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I'd second L'Instant. I'd imagine Chanel Egoiste would be good too, but don't own it yet.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Maybe it's just me, but I think Tabarome is perfect for winter.

For me it would probably be Ungaro I, but Brit for Men would probably also work as an everyday scent.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

yeah brit would work well. whatever you choose, just go easy on the sprayer. especially in class.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I might be a little off here since I have not bought a bottle of Geir yet, but to me that seems like a pretty good winter scent. That is to wear in the winter time.
    Presently I am wearing Figuier Extreme for most of this winter season and once in a while Chergui (gotta conserve ;D)

There are fine suggestions on this thread already, but I want to add Hermès's Equipage. A fantastic and very tasteful everyday, every situation, and every hint of elegance scent. Never too heavy or spicy, and never one I've thought weird or gotten tired of.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I too am a newbie but may I suggest Santal Noble ? *I applied it this AM and it's a "woodsy" delight ;D

I'm gonna check out L'Eau D'Hiver .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I've been heavily into the Incense Series, but will add SL Santal Blanc. Dry woods add a crackle to the damp air.

I really like Havana as a winter scent, although it is just as good during the other seasons as well. The tobacco and bay rum it has is splendid.

Unlike a few luckier contributors to this board, I can only wear my much beloved New York (de Nicolai) in cool weather, or it becomes too sweet. So, in my taxonomy it qualifies as a "winter scent".

New York is also one of the few fragrances that I have to fight with myself not to wear day after day, so I get a chance to try lots of other stuff. I have other scents that I save for cold weather (Ambre Sultan - vile in the summer!, Santal Noble, Bois du Portugal, even Gucci pH), but after a day of wearing any of them, I am perfectly content to contemplate a change to something different the next day.

Visit works quite nicely as a normal 'everyday' scent in the winter
    Try these too
    Havana
    Montana
    Heritage
    Burberry London
    Passage D'Enfer

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    There are fine suggestions on this thread already, but I want to add Hermès's Equipage. A fantastic and very tasteful everyday, every situation, and every hint of elegance scent. Never too heavy or spicy, and never one I've thought weird or gotten tired of.
    --Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_S
    Unlike a few luckier contributors to this board, I can only wear my much beloved New York (de Nicolai) in cool weather, or it becomes too sweet. *So, in my taxonomy it qualifies as a "winter scent". New York is also one of the few fragrances that I have to fight with myself not to wear day after day...
    I must second these two wonderful suggestions! These are perfect for daily cool weather wear, and were at the top of my mind before opening up this thread. Bravo!

Jeff

Antaeus and Zino are pretty darn good for the winter

B R I T

I find Le Dandy by D'Orsay to be a lovely winter scent.

Blog Entries

I totally agree w/ those who have suggested Burberry Brit. It's been my fall back scent so far since it's become colder. And I CAN'T WAIT for Christmas since Santa's bringing me Burberry Brit Gold!!! It's technically a woman's frag, but I definitely think a male can pull that one off as well.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Some people have already mentioned Azzaro Visit, a new find for me and one that I think is most fitting for the cool weather. Another close one is Gucci PH, and M7 of course.

l'eau de bleue d'issey
    ciao

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    Some people have already mentioned Azzaro Visit, a new find for me and one that I think is most fitting for the cool weather. Another close one is Gucci PH, and M7 of course.
    I agree!!!!

college student checking in . . . i say Chanel Allure Homme

For me it's Azzaro Visit, Geir and Dzing!
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Bel Ami and Equipage are good frags for winter.

Normally ambery, fruity, incensey, woody and spicy frags all are good...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sokra

Guerlain - L'Instant
    Thierry Mugler - B*Men
    Versace - Dreamer
    I agree with the last three, but I haven't smelled L'Instant yet :-[