Code of Conduct

Default A few essential scent Recommendations? *

Hello All,

This is my first post here, so maybe you can indulge the new guy.
    I am looking for a few (3) recommendations for essential scents of the well appointed man. My current selection is of the 'ordinary average guy' variety, drakar noir, chrome, etc... go ahead, laugh it up, lol.

What appeals to me are the wood scents, light spice, hint of sweet, floral notes are ok (roses are great) but it cant be thin or astringent (or cloying). Something that doesnt wimp out too quick but not something that has people running for the door either. It would be great to have a daily wear scent as well as a few for a nice night out.

I tried checking the FAQs but they seem to have broken links. Thanks for any recommendations.

Default Re: A few essential scent Recommendations?  

Hi Dave_D,

Welcome to basenotes. Here are my suggestions. I own and love all of these. You can check them out in the directory or search the boards for more info on each.

Sequoia by Comme des Garçons
    Santal Noble by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Enjoy the search and guard your wallet!

Default Re: A few essential scent Recommendations? *

YSL Rive Gauche and M7
    Dior Homme

What you need my friend is Ungaro III.........all I can say is that it is great and gets a ton of compliments

I agree with Santal Noble....a rich, creamy sandalwood with a lot of class. Tam Dao would be worth checking out as a comparitive. See a recent thread for some great reviews of Tam Dao.

Eau Sauvage - a classic citrus. Deep and herbal enough to make it an all season scent, this is not made in the same spirit of today's more fleeting, generic citrus scents. For a bit lighter, but very formal citrus scent, I'd suggest Boucheron pour homme. It's one that I always equate to a suit and tie.

Cheers (and welcome to the board!!!),
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_D
    Hello All,

the wood scents, light spice, hint of sweet, floral notes are ok (roses are great) but it cant be thin or astringent (or cloying). Something that doesnt wimp out too quick but not something that has people running for the door either. It would be great to have a daily wear scent as well as a few for a nice night out.
    Gucci PH (big wood, slightly sweet, night out)
    L'Instant de Guerlain (complex, sweet, day or night)
    Guerlain Vetiver (citrus spice, day or night)
    Bvlgari PH (citrus spice clean, day)

All pretty easily available.

Ged

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

1. Herrera for men - "notice me today"
    2. Esencia - "notice me tonight"
    3. Paco Rabbane - "trust me and come to me"
    4. Bulgari PH - "now come a little closer..."

Welcome aboard!

For daily wear for what you described, you can't do much better than Herrera for Men.

For night life, Gucci Envy. This is a generic recommendation -- gotta know a little more about your tastes.

Oh, and by the way, there's nothing wrong with Drakkar and Chrome IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by whitebar
    Hi Dave_D,

Welcome to basenotes. *Here are my suggestions. *I own and love all of these. *You can check them out in the directory or search the boards for more info on each.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Enjoy the search and guard your wallet!
    I own and enjoy these three as well...I'd like to also add Cyprus Musc to the "Woody" list. It's a very Clean/Fresh Cyprus.
    I would have to say that my fave Wood scent is "Sequoia" though.....NOTHING beats it IMO.

Thank you all for the responses. Ive ordered samplers for quite a few of the selections here, ordered the Tam Dao on faith - sounds like a sure winner.

Any suggestions on where I might purchase samplers of:

M7
    Ungaro III ?

a search on the internet did fairly well for the others but that list came up nil regarding sampler sized options.

Thanks again for the great suggestions.

I strongly advise you head up to the trading section of this very forum, my friend.
    You surely will find decants of these and many many many more for a more than fair price

For the record, a decant is a small vial which is filled by the owner of a full bottle. People use it to give away, trade, try and test fragrances.. and also to re-fresh their scent during the day without carrying a full bottle

Hope that Helps!

BTW: agreed on M7 and Gucci Envy, they are rather inexpensive and smell wonderful to me. Both are somewhat dark but comforting