Code of Conduct

Default All that Jazz...  

I'm sure alot of you have the same guilt... you're out SUPPOSEDLY buying X-mas presents for OTHER people, and you just can't resist combing the fragrance bins at Marshalls and the Maxx etc, looking for frags for yourself.

Well a few weeks ago I snagged a $14.99 bottle of YSL's Live Jazz at Marshalls. Geez, I really like that stuff. Some may find it simple, but its really perfect in alot of ways. Like freshly pressed grapefruit peel- so vivid you can see the little pores in the peel pop as the oil sprays out. And then the musk notes in it are so creamy and smooth; as amazing as the top notes are, I've never encountered a fragrance with a base like Live Jazz.

Tonight I found a bottle of Jazz at TJ MAXX for $14.99 so i bought it blind, strictly because I'm am a YSL freak. I had heard it was alot like Tsar, which I own, but am not a huge fan of. I don't really find Tsar to be wearable on myself. So when I sprayed Jazz, for the first ten seconds it seemed identical to Tsar, but after than the coppery topnotes died down a bit and I got more of a rose/carnation middle. It really gets quiet after about five minutes. The notes blend together quite well, and there aren't as many sharp edges as in Tsar. Also it seems less dated than Tsar.

Its funny I spray on Jazz, and because of the similarity to Tsar, I start daydreaming about Czar Nicholas and the tragedic execution of him and his family. When I was a kid, I saw some TV movie about this story and Anastasia, and I went through this phase where I had some kind of "crush" on Anastasia. Same thing later when they made us read "The Diary of Anne Frank." I wonder what percentage of fifth graders had some weird unresolvable "ghost-crush" on Anne Frank?... Hmm...Probably an unspoken cultural phenomenon.

So its probably the name/association from Tsar to Jazz, but I'm thinking Jazz smells a little sad. It definitely doesn't fit the name "jazz". In fact, I think Jazz is a terrible name for the fragrance. It's nowhere near as sad as Comme des Garcons Zagorsk-possibly the "saddest" fragrance I've ever inhaled. Voleur de Rose also strikes me as sad... Jazz smells like money AND sadness; Seriously both Jazz and Tsar have smell like new currency...and like most YSL fragrances, Jazz is more "yin" than "yang".

So as I try to draw Jazz out more and more, I keep thinking of the phrase, "Its lonely at the top." Jazz is the junior executive who will someday be a broken-hearted miser counting his money in a cold room where a fireplace is roaring to no avail.

Bah HUMBUG!

Default Re: All that Jazz...  

Hey Indie, go spray some Sequoia or something and then CHEER UP!

Default Re: All that Jazz... *

I really like Live Jazz. It's a great scent for spring and summer. However, I don't get along with Jazz very well. I agree that it doesn't really fit the name. However, it lasts really long so I have to give it credit for that. I decided to buy M7 at my local Marshalls when they had the YSL lineup.

JAZZ was the 1st fragrance that I bought from my own money, I was 12 and the elegant black & white bottle strikes my eyes ...I don't like the new packaging for JAZZ , I missed the plastic bottle...it is more YSL in style..& I felt the the juice has been reformulated with new package....am I right?

I think I saw the same thing as you, because I used to be obsessed with Anastacia... :-X
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    I think I saw the same thing as you, because I used to be obsessed with Anastacia... :-X

Ha, seriously?

I thought I was the only one!

And as for Whitebar's suggestion of putting on some Sequoia...That WAS gonna be my SOTD, but I went with Jaisalmer at the last minute... Ha, If you remember my story of the time I was wearing Sequoia, and some dude tried to hit on me and he dropped his wine glass...Well the other night at work, I was wearing Avignon and some guy( a choreographer, LOL) tried to get me to go to a gay bar with him after work. Not to open the whole "what scents do gay gays like" thread, but i'm finding the ones I meet do like Comme des Garcons! He was a nice guy though. We were talking about scents and scratch and sniff stickers, and he told me that as a kid he had found his dad's stash of "scratch and sniff" Hustler magazines. He made a face like he was going to get sick, then said, "Well...I guess that EXPLAINS alot"

Hmmm... I'd love to get my hands on a scratch and sniff Hustler. I didn't even know they existed!

It's funny, I was just going to post a story similar. I was shopping and saw TJ Maxx and said "Oh, well I have a few minutes to look..." and as I walked over, I saw a package of BOdy Kouros for $14.99. Couldn't resist.
    They also had Jazz, and because I absolutely love Live Jazz, I thought about buying it blind, but I figured that it's not the same as Live Jazz, I just bought another, and I have a few more scents coming my way for Christmas, so there wasn't much need.

I like Jazz a lot. To me it is very strange scent, so hard to describe. It has sticky flowers, some leather, musk and weird vegetable scent. Very strange. It is like fougere excrement!

;D ;D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    I like Jazz a lot. To me it is very strange scent, so hard to describe. It has sticky flowers, some leather, musk and weird vegetable scent. Very strange. It is like fougere excrement!

;D ;D
    A little like pigeon sh**, maybe.... :P

ROFLMAO @ my own humour ;D

(sad I know :-[)
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *