Code of Conduct

Default Now that we're back, help me decide...again!

I know I asked this already, but this is a new list of my final four fragrances.

I am looking for a scent that is close to the skin, but long lasting. I don't want people to smell me a mile away, only up close.

Also, I'm in my mid-twenties so I would like a fragrance that is "young" but not too young for teens like Polo Sport. At the same time I don't want an "old" man's fragrance also.

So with that in mind can you help me out people? Which of the four would you recommend? Comments are more than welcomed. I'd love to hear your opinions!

Thanks basenoters!

Default Re: Now that we're back, help me decide...again!

Reading your description I'll vote for Dior Homme
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

My vote goes to Chanel PM.

No one should be without Chanel PM and Guerlain Vetiver - two great classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Mhmm! I always keep both of these in my main drawer of fragrances.

Hmmm...

After browsing this site for a number of days I noticed the many references to Guerlain Vetiver.
    I specifically went out and tested this fragrance - which was a little difficult because the major department stores generally don't stock it as it is an unpopular fragrance in Australia.

While I am certainly no expert, it did feel like a quality fragrance - BUT it also conjured an image of an old man, sitting in a heavy leather armchair, in a dark reading room, wearing slippers and smoking a pipe.
    Not the image a young man typically desires to imitate - unless he likes his grandmother's friends.

This made me wonder whether the cultural experiences of a person raised in Australia will create different "scent images" to those created by people raised in a different country.
    Could a scent smell "old man" in Australia, yet smell youthful to a Swede, American, Brit etc?

While I don't know the answer to this question, everytime a see GV being recommended to a young man I just scratch my head with confusion - but do accept that I may be wrong.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Hmmm...

After browsing this site for a number of days I noticed the many references to Guerlain Vetiver.
    I specifically went out and tested this fragrance - which was a little difficult because the major department stores generally don't stock it as it is an unpopular fragrance in Australia.

While I am certainly no expert, it did feel like a quality fragrance - BUT it also conjured an image of an old man, sitting in a heavy leather armchair, in a dark reading room, wearing slippers and smoking a pipe.
    Not the image a young man typically desires to imitate - unless he likes his grandmother's friends.

This made me wonder whether the cultural experiences of a person raised in Australia will create different "scent images" to those created by people raised in a different country.
    Could a scent smell "old man" in Australia, yet smell youthful to a Swede, American, Brit etc?

While I don't know the answer to this question, everytime a see GV being recommended to a young man I just scratch my head with confusion - but do accept that I may be wrong.

My 2 cents.
    Well, I'm not saying you are right OR wrong, but I also got the feeling that GV was for the older man. I'm sure there are plenty of 20-30 year olds wearing this scent, but the general impression that people get may still be the same: that GV wearers are a bit on the older side.

I'm not saying that this is a bad thing, but I was definately looking for a "younger" scent that is fresh, but not too fresh like Polo Sport yet mature, but not too mature.

I don't mean to be picky, but that was just my preference. And it's nice to get opinions on this from basenoters about this.

Also, why is there no love for Hermes VT? I never heard a bad thing about this scent yet!

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey
    Hmmm...

My 2 cents.
    Unless the tobacco note is masked well by other notes, fragrances with tobacco tend to be dubbed 'old man' scents IMO. You'll have to get the opinions of friends on this one. Why would a young man be afraid of being called/seen as an old man anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    I'll heartily second that!

Hard choice between Chanel PM and Guerlain Vetiver. I ended up voting for GV. I live in Australia and think it's a great scent (as does an ex-pat Aussie Elle MacPherson). I don't think it's too old, perfect for mid 20s, and more mature than the kids stuff. But I'm 29 with tastes like 50yo! Great for Aussie weather too.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Just curious, but how come no one is voting for Hermes VT? Aside from a high price tag, I hear good things about this fragrance.

Is there something I don't know?