Code of Conduct

Default Montale...Impressed for the most part, BUT WHICH?

Received my Montale samples today...they sent me seven that I might enjoy, or at least had available that they thought was suitable for a man. *Here's the packet, along with the fuzzy leopard drawstring thing that was stuffed with the samples (LMAO when I saw this in the bubble envelope! *;D) Do all the bottles come in this strange thing??

So here's my review, first and foremost, Montale scents are not afraid to use florals and quite a good amount in their scents, I don't mind, but they really cross borders! *Longevity is not an issue with any of them either...they last good and long with unmistakable sillage with French know how.

THE OUD/AOUD SCENTS:
    Royal Oud- *With Oud scents, one is basically prepared for something very oriental, spicy and heady. *Royal opens surprisingly rather tart, yes the kumquat and grapefruit is refreshing, but I always thought the cool resinous characteristics of oud itself is refreshing enough, the citrus definitely gives the scent that added projection. *If there's spice in this scent like it says, it's downplayed greatly, although I smell leafy fresh notes. *Bottom line, I understand that the oud is the focus of this scent in a refreshing interpretation, but it lacks the complexity I'd like for something so precious as oud.

Aoud Damascus- I like this one better. *Opens rather fresh and floral (roses), and remains there with the help of resins. *Surprisingly, it's sweet, yet light, again, not a heavy Oriental, but it's a downright unisex floral. *ROSE LOVERS!!!! RUN FOR THIS!
    -------------------

Wood & Spices- *MMM!!! *Yummy! *Much like the opening notes of Allure, fresh with vetiver along with sweet woody notes and incense. *Never cloying. *It's the cool, modern, relaxed elegance of the man of today. *(Blechh! I sounded like a cheesy magazine ad *:-X) *Good sillage!

Embruns D'Essaouira- *Another fresh scent with a warm, slightly musky base, great presence, although spices seem too subdued for my liking.

Fougeres Marine- *Ack! I gotta reiterate that Montale is not afraid to use florals with this one! *This interpretation of an aquatic scent is on the warm side, however this reminds me too much of CK Escape and Eternity, so I don't think I would opt for paying for a French version of it.

Vetiver des Sables- This is a good scent that showcases vetiver! *This interpretation is alive, supported deftly with wood and spice, I instantly woke up with its invigorating qualities. *Adrenaline in a bottle!

Greyland- Couldn't find this described anywhere, but this is my absolute favorite next to Wood and Spices. *Simply because it's very much like Gucci PH, however the Gucci is more pleasing to me because of it's more pronounced pepper notes.

Now the hard part, I have to plan on which one's I'd like, I'll need to schedule more "wearings", but I hope you folks with more background could point me in the right direction and suggest the other ouds, namely Pur Oriental and Oud Ambre, or I'd love the extra guidance in this forum for any of the other Montales *[smiley=laugh.gif]

Thanks, guys!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Default Re: Montale...Impressed for the most part, BUT WHI

IMav, I'm researching the Montale frags and I found your reviews incredibly helpful.

Thanks for a really great read!

If i was to buy any of the Montales, it would probably be Aoud Lime.

If i had to pick from the samples you got, i would go with Vetiver des Sables.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

I have sampled all the Frags for Men and Unisex....the only one I liked and bought was Wood & Spices.
    The Vetiver des Sables was good enough just not my cup of tea.

I heard about a new fragrance from Montale is called 'BLACK OUD', any idea???

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I have sampled all the Frags for Men and Unisex....the only one I liked and bought was Wood & Spices.
    The Vetiver des Sables was good enough just not my cup of tea.
    Good choice rjrober22, I think it was the most complex of the samples I received, still haven't decided which to buy, but I keep eyeing the price list they included with the sample offerings they sent.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    IMav, I'm researching the Montale frags and I found your reviews incredibly helpful.

Thanks for a really great read!
    Cheers, Ballardbeau, seems like they have a sophistication and uniqueness much like L'Artisan and LV, nor try to be heavy like a Lutens.

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!