Code of Conduct

Default Chrismas resins - Frankincense and Myrrh

I got a sample of Lorenzo Villoresi Sandalo and tried it out. My first impression was that it smelled of potpourri, but I gave it a good long time to come around to it. It never happened though. Its rich and classy to be sure - but I just don't feel like I want to smell like potpourri. I checked the ingredient list and it includes labdanum and opoponax (myrrh) which I'm pretty sure are the offending notes. I know them from their use in incense, but haven't yet encountered them in perfumery, and Sandalo definately smelled incensy to me.

Amber is certainly the easiest resin to get along, but who out there likes these (or other) heavier/sharper resins?

Also - is that heavy, incensy, spicey character a signature for LV? Most of his frags seem to be described that way and from the BN article on him, LV is reportedly a lover traditional middle eastern perfumery.

Default Re: Chrismas resins - Frankincense and Myrrh

Have you tried Frankincense and Myrrh by Czech & Speake? I think you need to, as it is refined to the T & is without offense, it makes you feel as if you where one of the 3 wise men. I recently acquired Scent Intense by Costume National and it has a rich amber accord to it with a waft of raspberries interlaced somewhere in its mix. I like amber, I like Scent Intense...

Let your nose be your pilot

Obsession for men is the only designer fragrance I know containing Myrrh and Frankincense.

Why didn't someone create a Myrrh and Frankincense fragrance and put them in a gold bottle (like Creed's MI) and named it "The 3 wise Men"? It would be a great Christmas gift! ;D

Maybe you should try L'Artisan's Dzing! - it smells like Frankincense to me. Very Middle Eastern scent, actually more like India - smells like an Indian shop.

There is a frankinsense & myrrh oil I sometimes wear I think called Eau de Zum or something like that (Zum is part of the name) - I got it at Whole Foods. It is a roll-on, and I think it wasn't too expensive $20ish I recall.

Pretty long lasting and enjoyable. Not something which will knock your socks off, but a solid performer, and excellent siliage.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour
    Maybe you should try L'Artisan's Dzing! - it smells like Frankincense to me. Very Middle Eastern scent, actually more like India - smells like an Indian shop.
    I get more a sweet, canvas, leather, rubber note from Dzing!

CDGs Zagorsk. It's dead on as far as fankincense & myrrh incense scents go and it really does justice ot the best of myrrh, slightly cold and a little piercing but rounded off so that you don't get the noxious burnt rubber smell that censed myrrh sometimes give off. L'artisans has more of that burnt feeling in the work they're doing with myrrh...at least in my olifactory experiences. Don't like it as much as the Zagorsk which makes me feel like i'm in a full "smells and bells" Nativity service.

Quote Originally Posted by FatTony
    I checked the ingredient list and it includes labdanum and opoponax (myrrh) which I'm pretty sure are the offending notes. I know them from their use in incense, but haven't yet encountered them in perfumery, and Sandalo definately smelled incensy to me.

Just a point of clarification FatTony. Iíd hate for you to give up on Myrrh.

While Opopanax (Commiphora erythraea) and Myrrh (Commiphora myrrha) are closely related--they are both part of the Burseraceae family--they are two different plants which produce different resinoids and essential oils with somewhat similar, but also significantly difference scent profiles. The Commiphora erythraea from which Opopanax is derived is a tall tree, while the Commiphora Myrrha from which Myrrh is derived is a smaller more shrub-like tree with knotted branches and fragrant leaves and flowers. Both are native to Somalia and Ethiopia, while Myrrh is also native to Yemen and has a geographical extensiveness over a greater area than Opopanax.

The confusion occurs easily because Opopanax goes by the synonyms of Sweet Myrrh and Bisabol Myrrh. The fragrant material for both Opopanax and Myrrh--an oleo gum resin--is harvested by incisions in the trunks of the respective trees. Opopanax oleo gum resin dries quickly when exposed to air to form tear-shaped dark reddish brown lumps, while myrrh hardens to dark-brown withered clumps.

The Opopanax resinoid has a powdery, sweet, balsamic, woody and root-like odor, while the Myrrh resinoid has a rich, spicy, warm balsamic odor with no hints of woody or root-like odor. A resinoid is the oleo gum resin after it has been processed by solvents such as hexane or petroleum.

The major similarities and differences with regard to the essential oil derived from these two related plants are as follows: Both Opopanax and Myrrh have a warm and spicy sweet balsamic component to their scent profiles, but the former also has an animalic component absent in Myrrh, while Myrrh has a bitter, medical component absent in Opopanax.

Opopanax is used widely in the liqueurs to add sweetness, body, and wine-like notes, while Myrrh is used widely as a flavoring agent in pharmaceutical products and in food and beverages that require a bitter flavoring component.

If you donít like the labdanum, which has a strong animalic component to it resembling the animalic component of ambergris, for which it is sometimes substituted, my guess is that youíre probably reacting to the animalic notes in both the labdanum and the opopanax. You could test this by trying fragrances with myrrh components, and my recommendation would be Magnumís excellent suggestion of Czech & Speakeís Frankincense & Myrrh. Donít give up on myrrh which is a beguiling and very interesting if hard-to-get-used-to component in fragrances. Many people have strong reactions to animalic components in fragrances, but myrrh should not be discounted on this account. Itís not the culprit. In short, I think for sure youíre reacting to opopanax.

Best regards,

scentemental

Doesn't L'artisan's Passage d'Enfer have notes of frankincense and myrrh. How does that compare to the aforementioned?

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile
    Doesn't L'artisan's Passage d'Enfer have notes of frankincense and myrrh. How does that compare to the aforementioned?
    Passage d'Enfer doesn't smell too smokey and lacks that "potpourri" smell, which I've also encountered in Lorrenzo Villoresi Incensi. I think it was actually cinnamon that contributed to the potpourri accord in that scent though. Passage has more of a "waxy" quality similar to the smell of unscented candle wax. It's bright and isn't as pungent as the incense note in Azzaro Visit or CDG 2 Man. It took me a while to get Passage d'Enfer, but once I did, it quickly shot up to my top five. It's a wonderful and smooth scent that has floral notes and sandalwood that compliment the frankincense and myrrh.

My first impression was perhaps the sample was mislabeled and is Incensi, which smells of potpurri at the start (an excellent fragrance, especially this time year as it conjures up holiday spirits). Sandalo has a dry, woody aroma to it with a bit of rose. The wood has always reminded me of woodburning kit, but the scent itself seems to be perhaps the most linear of Villoresi's creations as it doesn't go through a lot of development.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Hmmm...if you haven't picked up Gucci PH yet, that's the Christmas/Church ticket! As Vicomte mentioned, find the perume oil for it at a New Age store or health food store, but otherwise, Gucci PH is the ticket if you haven't picked it up yet. Olibanum (Frankincense) and Amber (Myrrh) is present, and comes closest to what I smell being burned during Good Friday (don't remember it being burned during Christmas in my church), but Voila! church room spray in a bottle!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!