Code of Conduct

Default Starting up, what to buy?

Hey,
    I'm planning on getting a little collection of each of the 7 main aroma's (green, flower, wood, etc.)
    What can you recommend me for getting a little of each? And is there a specific aroma for an occasion? (musk on wedding, or similar?)
    I have already seen the reviews for a lot of perfumes, but I have difficulty classing them in their appropriate group.
    Almost everything smells citrus, woody and musk...

This is what I already have, what would you recommend me for completing the collection, and how would you class what I have? What occasions should I use what on?

- Safari, Ralph Lauren
    - Ô Lancôme, Lancome
    - Concentrée D'Orange Verte, Hermès
    - Kouros
    - Eau Sauvage, CD
    - Le Mâle, JPG
    - Dior Homme, Dior

Default Re: Starting up, what to buy?

Much depends on your budget and tastes. If you are willing to lay out the money to get an expensive bottle or two...maybe you'd do well sampling some of Creeds scents as they are very simple and fresh smelling. If you are into something more exotic and interesting maybe L'Artisan has a couple that would catch your fancy. Do you have any scents that you like any that you hate? Give us a little more information and you'll get some good recommendations.

I love Eau Sauvage, and Dior Homme. They are very different, but it gives me the most pleasant feeling when smelling them.
    The rest I just appreciate, and Kouros I don't really like that much, it sort of is not a smell that is right with me.

And I don't care about the costs, I want good perfumes that suit me.

KOUROS!!!
    LOL!!!

I don't understand? The reviews for Kouros where not bad?

Quote Originally Posted by BabyJoe
    I don't understand? The reviews for Kouros where not bad?
    It's certainly not bad, but it ís special and not for everyone's nose.

I'd suggest not to buy this blind because there's a certain risk that this will be your first blind-buy-gone-wrong

I too am "new" to this fragrance-thing ;D but I have dipped in deeply from the start. My first "real" cologne(and I'm 66+ years old) was a bottle of Creed's Original Vetiver, my first purchase after landing here and it was blind too. Absolutely wonderful in its cleanliness and soapiness but it's more for the warm months. I won't go thru the litany of blind-buys I've made over the last few months except to say; take the plunge and buy some A*Angel/Men! It too is controversial(many either hate it or love it) like Kouros but I have been swept away with its unique and captivating scent. The top notes are awful but it dries down to something I can't get enough of in fact, I just reordered another bottle plus their body shampoo.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Kouros is great, don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise.
    I'd suggest you try a Creed like Millesime Imperial, Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mountain Water.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I'll get the GiT.

I don't really understand when you're talking about winter/spring/summer scents... Is this something personal, or can you smell what season it should be worn?

I'll get the GiT.

I don't really understand when you're talking about winter/spring/summer scents... Is this something personal, or can you smell what season it should be worn?
    You'll get it my friend! I'm not one with descriptions, but perhaps it's the cooler, aquatic, what I call "safer" scents are more for summer, and there are warmer, gourmand (sweeter/edible) fragrances that are more suitable for winter use. However, fragrances are not bound to a certain season in general.

I'll get the GiT.

Good choice. Wore it fully for the first time today and am mightily impressed.
    There is no Nose....

Here are some good choices in various categories.

Citrus: Eau Sauvage [which you have.]; Eau d'Hadrien; Acqua di Parma Colonia

Chypre: Chanel pour Monsieur (regular [hard to find] or concentree [easy to find])

Fougere: Paco Rabanne pour Homme

Spicy-Woody: Gucci pour Homme, Nicolai New York, Creed Bois du Portugal

Sandalwood: Tam Dao by Diptyque; Art of Shaving Sandalwood Cologne; Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi

Musk: Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle; Musc by Lorenzo Villoresi

Leather: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Aromatic: Creed Vintage Tabarome (Buy a decant from someone, as the normal bottle is 250ml.)

Green/Grassy/Vetiver: Guerlain Vetiver; Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle

Gourmand: Hanae Mori HM

Miscellaneous: Floris Santal; Diptyque Eau Lente; Chanel Antaeus

These would cover just about all the bases.

Happy Sniffing!

You need a good leather methinks. The aforementioned Cuiron, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Knize Ten or L'Artisan Dzing!

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    You need a good leather methinks. The aforementioned Cuiron, Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Knize Ten or *L'Artisan Dzing!
    Same tip from here... but I'd like to suggest Creed Royal English Leather and Chanel Cuir de Russie too...