Code of Conduct

Default Confused about this Cafe frag...

So there's been talk of this "Cafe" fragrance (BallardBeau's hilarious poo story).
    I go on Fragrance Net to look it up, and there's two there.

A "Homme de Cafe" by "Cofci" apparently released in 1978. *"spicy musk and exotic woods," it says.

And

A "Cafe de Cafe" by "Cofinluxe" apparently released in 1996. *"green notes of citrus and wood," it says.

So... it's the second one y'all are talking about? *How about that first one? *Anybody know anything about it? *Any good? *It's dirt cheap too--each are about the same price--so that's why I'm curious.

Default Re: Confused about this Cafe frag...

Griff would know this, I would search his posts. My mini bottle says Homme de Cafe and smells like spiced cider. I thought that it was made by Cofinluxe though :-?. A great bargain!

Cman, I went through a lot of confusion too when ordering this one and had to get Griff's help.

The one you are looking for is "Homme de Cafe." It states its maker, on the box,is Parfums Cafe-Paris but on the side of the box it says it's made by Confinluxe. THe bottle is a brown/greenish atrocity.

The notes listed do not make it sound like a coffee fragrance, which even adds to the confusion, and upon the initia; application it doesn't. But wait five minutes and you would swear you just walked in to Starbucks. I am very satisfied with this puchase, particularly at the price.

There's even a Cafe Puro, which really has me intrigued, although I think someone reviewed one of the Cafe scents as smelling of burnt rubber or a singed circuitboard. :-? :-?

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Cman, I went through a lot of confusion too when ordering this one and had to get Griff's help.

The one you are looking for is "Homme de Cafe." It states its maker, on the box,is Parfums Cafe-Paris but on the side of *the box it says it's *made by Confinluxe. THe bottle is a brown/greenish atrocity.

The notes listed do not make it sound like a coffee fragrance, which even adds to the confusion, and upon the initia; application it doesn't. But wait five minutes and you would swear you just walked in to Starbucks. I am very satisfied with this puchase, particularly at the price.
    Hmm. *Boy this one is confusing, isn't it? *I googled it and I see an Homme de Café by "Cofinluxe," an Homme de Café by “Parfums Café for Men,” and an Homme de Café by “Café.” *But all the pics show that same bottle that you must be talking about. *Yeah it is kinda’ ugly looking, isn’t it? *LOL! *Oh and that bottle is the one FraganceNet said was Homme de Café by “Cofci” from 1978! *Jeez, what a mess. *Well if and when I ever do order some, I'll be sure and pick the right bottle, anyway—no matter who the maker is!

Here is the bottle of the stuff I have been recommending.

Here is a closeup of the text on the bottle:

It's possible that cofci and cofinluxe are one in the same, either a renamed company or a buy out. An exhaustive search of the Internet turns up nothing, alas.

Homme de Cafe offers a unique take on the coffee note. It does indeed evoke coffee (especially in the dry down) but it also has this odd basenote of smoking solder flux which I adore.

regards,

Griff
    Griff

"smoking solder flux"

Griff, what the hell are you talking about??!!! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    "smoking solder flux"

Griff, what the hell are you talking about??!!! lol!

Oh, you know me... always off in my own little subjective universe...

(It DOES have a smoking solder flux note... you know, solder flux? The stuff you add to the lead solder to make it melt faster while you are working with the soldering gun...like on electronic boards...oh come one...surely I am not the only ex-geek in the room...)
    Griff

I had been wondering about this one ever since I joined (I think it was Griff who was talking about it at the time, too..) and this new 'publicity' for it made me give in and purchase it (on ebay)... Along with 3 others, I can't resist combined shipping reductions! Darn, there goes my mere student paycheck again! Oh well.. There will be others :P

For the record, I got:
    Pour un Homme, by Caron (3.3 oz/100ml - US $7.90)
    Carven Homme, by Carven (3.3 oz/100ml - US $14.90)
    and Monsieur Musk, by Dana. (HOLY!!! I just noticed this was a 8oz! (yes, AFTER purchasing it... I was convinced it was a 3.3 oz [smiley=shocked.gif] Oh well... got it for US $7.90 )

And my Homme de Cafe (3.3oz / 100ml - US $10.90)
    4 cheapies I had my mind on for some time.. All of which I heard from you wonderfull gentlemen

Nice finds, I think...right?

The point of this reply is to ask: Where is the basenote page for this one (Homme de Cafe)? I wanted to add it to my pending section but I can't seem to figure out which one it is eactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Symptome
    ...The point of this reply is to ask: Where is the basenote page for this one (Homme de Cafe)? I wanted to add it to my pending section but I can't seem to figure out which one it is eactly...
    It isn't there... yet. I asked Grant to put it in the Cofinluxe section.

I hope you like it.

Griff
    Griff

Would this request have gone under the radar?
    I still can't find it... any news?

thanks

BTW: I still havent got it, I expected it today

I just got it and tried it...

I'm not smelling much coffee... But I am getting that "soldering flux" you were talking about..

Can't say I'm in love.. but I can't say that has never changed before.. I'll wait a bit and see what happens.

is the drydown very different?

Symptome, very nice low-price purchases, particulary the Carven.

Interesting that this thread was brought back around!! I just so happened to be nosing around stores at a strip mall sorta place in Orland Park IL last week. I happened into the Stein Mart there after being told they carried Caswell Massey products. Alas....no frags, just soap and skin care. Oh well!! But there was a Marshalls there so in I went to poke around at the frags they had. Then...I see this thin, dark colored box and wondered what it was.............

JACKPOT!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, I thought!! This is EXACTLY what Griff was talking about!! I grinned wildly and popped open the box and, YES this IS the one!! Same bottle....I took off the cap and sniffed and.....OH YEAH!! Smoky coffee and dry woods and...shucks...SOLDER FLUX!!!!! Reminded me of Mr Czarnecki's electronics class in high school!! How could I refuse? I bought it!!

I must say that although, yes, it DOES smell like solder flux (Great assimilation, Griff!), I do get some coffee, but more like ground coffee beans, not the beverage, and this dry, herbal, sorta woodsy smell blended in there too!! Not at all a gourmand.....has more of a "feel" like a bold 80's era aromatic fougere. How lucky of me!! Soo....I pressed my luck by buying a couple of lottery tickets on the way home. Later results: No winners.....except me and the bottle of Homme de Cafe!!!

Yes....yes....an ugly bottle. But a very unique fragrance!!

Thanks for the heads-up, Griff!! You've started a little "mania swell" on this one!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Hm. Cofinluxe? Cofci? Parfums de Cafe? * :

My first impression of that bottle design is Coffin-luxe! *;D

haha! a coffin, good one!
    It does remind of a coffin... brown, big rectagle form with sligthly round edges. Luckily the inside doesn't smell like a rotten corpse! hehe

I've tested it a couple more times.. it's growing on me! Something keeps making me wonder WHAT is this thing about!? I mean... solder flux!? Who would want to put it in there.. quite a brain twister for me
    still like it very much, thanks griff

Ballardbeau: Thanks! I like all of them a lot! Caron PUH is the most intruiguing of the bunch.. I just HATE it for the first half hour, and it gradually evoles in something I love and then soon enough (too soon) it disapears on me. PUH is a teaser :P

Mr.Musk is a pretty good typical manly smell, nothing too fancy nor too boring. Pretty nice!

My very favorite of the bunch surely is Carven Homme though, wow what a nice smell! lasts a good 6 hours on me, too.. Which is good considering fragrances disappears quickly on me and that winter is harsh right now.

Anyways, bumping this to get some news on the Homme De Cafe addition to the directory

have a nice day!

Symptome, duxoop772

I am so pleased to hear you like this one. Cafe is definitely a weird and I am willing to bet, singular surprise. That something could conjure up an electronics class is notable alone.

Now, if someone could just capture the smell of fresh mimeograph ink on white paper, we could combine it with the pencil shavings of Gucci Pour Homme and the flux of Cafe and to achieve golden schoolday memory Nirvana.

Griff
    Griff