Code of Conduct

Default goste vs goste Concentree

Hi, What's the difference between the two? Is it the same juice with different concentrations? EdT vs EdP? I have a difficult time getting into goste, I understand it is a well-made fragrance but the opening tangerine/bitter medicinal smell keeps me off. My 1 oz bottle is going strong forever. Does goste concentree fix this problem or make it worse. For reference, Platinum goste is somewhat bearable to me, but it is so BLAH.. nothing interesting in it.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Default Re: goste vs goste Concentree

Are you sure Egoiste Concentre exists? I've certainly never heard of it/seen it. Could it be that you are mistaking Egoiste Concentre with Pour Monsieur Concentre?

The concentree exists and comes up for sale on Ebay occassionally. It is just a stronger version which seems to exaggerate all the notes.

MJH

I have both. I originally bought Egoiste EdT and fell in love with it, but I had the feeling that
    it caused selective anosmia in me, since I seem to have trouble smelling it on myself after the first
    twenty minutes. Egoiste EdC Concentree seems to be a little 'rougher', but the notes are
    essentially the same, and I've noticed that I'm able to smell it for hours instead of minutes.

This is insane!! Reading MJH, I was confused about his lack of longevity with the regular goste since mine lasts forever. I went back to my good old 1 oz bottle lying around and turns out it is actually goste Concentree!!. No wonder I felt it was super pungent on me. That makes me think I might actually like goste, the regular one. You live .. you learn.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

Quote Originally Posted by sentient
    You live .. you learn.
    How true, I was just about to add that I learn something new every day [smiley=grin.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by MJH
    I have both. I originally bought Egoiste EdT and fell in love with it, but I had the feeling that
    it caused selective anosmia in me, since I seem to have trouble smelling it on myself after the first
    twenty minutes. Egoiste EdC Concentree seems to be a little 'rougher', but the notes are
    essentially the same, and I've noticed that I'm able to smell it for hours instead of minutes.

Same here. I have both but my acquisition history was just the opposite. I bought the Eau de Cologne Concentree first many years ago and in the ensuing years somehow just totally lost track of it. Forgot I had it, I guess. A prolonged Homer Simpson moment. More recently, with the memory of the exquisite fragrance that Egoiste is I bought the EdT. And of course, wouldn't you know, a couple of months ago I'm rummaging through one of my sock drawers and there, buried at the back of the drawer is my pristine 99 per cent full bottle of Egoiste Concentree. I detect little difference between the two in terms of the fragrance ( the "smell" if you will ) but I do give the nod to the Concentree in terms of longevity. But to put that statement in context, I should state that I get a good 10-12 hours from the EdT so you can imagine the staying power of the Concentree. YMMV.

Aaron

goste has a note that puts me off.. It's like the smell of a dishwashing sink. Cinnamon rolls remains in the sink! I wouldn't want a concentree of that juice.. Sorry!

Of all the fragrances in EDT form I'd have thought Egoiste least required a concentrated version! One of the best lasting fragrances around.

I think this is another fragrance where body chemistry matters a lot in prolonging longevity. Luca Turin in his guide mentions that he would be quite enthusiastic if there was a concentrated version of goste.

"Si toutefois Chanel dcidait delui donner un frre tout aussi goste mais plus concentr, il y aurait de quoisenthousiasmer"
    -- Marcel Proust

I had also heard that the Cologne Concentree version was the older of the two (as in old stock), and that the Edt is what's in production now.

How could a "concentree" be an older version? What would it be a "concentree" of? There woul be nothing to compare it to or base it on!

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    How could a "concentree" be an older version? What would it be a "concentree" of? There woul be nothing to compare it to or base it on!
    He has mentioned old in stock (ie., production date) not the date of launch.
    -- Marcel Proust

I used to wear Egoiste as my sugnature scent for a while in the early 90's.

I could be wrong, but I think the concentree was an EDC that was stronger than the original EDC. I think my last bottle was the EDT, which eliminated the need for the EDC Concentree. But again, I can't remember for sure. At any rate, the EDT is on my short list for a return. I can get it in Douglas cosmetics in Grand Central Terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    I used to wear Egoiste as my sugnature scent for a while in the early 90's.

I could be wrong, but I think the concentree was an EDC that was stronger than the original EDC. I think my last bottle was the EDT, which eliminated the need for the EDC Concentree. But again, I can't remember for sure. At any rate, the EDT is on my short list for a return. I can get it in Douglas cosmetics in Grand Central Terminal.
    you are right the concentree was a cologne. many confuse a "Men's" cologne with Eau de Cologne in say a women's fragrance range.

with men's scents a cologne can be the stronger version of the scent where the toilette water is a more lighter watered down version of the same fragrance.

its confussing for in men's scents both Cologne and Eau de Toilette can be interchangable.

scentimus said it best...

I've had one bottle then the other, and I find that the Cologne version is much more wearable. The base note of the Concentree overpowered the top notes. If you like the top notes more in this fragrance go with the Cologne. If you like the base notes, go with the Concentree if price is not the issue.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

My dear god!!

Just came from the store where i tried goste.And let me say its FANTASTIC!!

Mystic and wery soothing.this is the smell of my mind.I have been looking for this kinda cent for a long time and it was infront of me all time.Perfect , just perfect.

Too bad its pretty expensive.

i recently nabbed 2 bottles of egoiste concentree. to me, i think the concentree stays true to the egoiste scent. ie. they do not smell significantly different from one another. however, the longevity and sillage is much better (like an edp version without a any major modifications to the structure). for that alone, i think it is well worth having a bottle as it screams of quality ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by dark phoenix 123 View Post
    I recently nabbed 2 bottles of egoiste concentree.
    Congrats on that.

was on the hunt for concentree but have worn the EDT more recently and this stuff lasts 8+hrs on me when its cool outside. No need for concentree since the edt is strong enough.

+ the concentree have been going for pretty high prices on ebay...couldnt find a good deal on it.

Egoiste is 4 stars and concentree is 5 stars for me. Absolutely adore them both but concentree is just fantastic all around. A much bolder and richer fragrance. The sandalwood, cinnamon, dried fruit combo just rocks

Exactly my opinion. I already had the current version in EDT and got Concentre last week. It is a bold and more strong version. In the beginning, it's so strong that is quite a mess, but after a few minutes the notes get clearer and perceptible, and it is when this frag really reveals its wonder. I sense it projects more than the EDT but I don't get a better fix.

I used to wear the Cologne Concentree back in the 1990s and one guy at work complained about it. The newer EDT version is not so much in your face, and I find it to be more suitable for the office environment.

Any Egoiste junkie should try Bois des Iles at least once...
    Egoiste is no longer my No.1.
    Now Bois des Iles is.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Congrats on that.
    hahaha... even though they were not exactly bargain prices (around US$80 + $15 shipping = US$95 per bottle), i am pleased with the purchases...

on bois des iles, I think it is great too... i smell a very similar sandalwood note in both egoiste and BDI. Strangely, i find the exclusifs version of BDI the best smelling as the older BDI smells a bit too powdery on me (one of those extremely rare occasions that i actually prefer the new version as i am a sucker for vintages). not sure if others feel the same. i think guys can easily pull off the exclusif BDI but perhaps not the powdery vintage BDI (powder just seems weird on a guy imho).

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Any Egoiste junkie should try Bois des Iles at least once...
    Egoiste is no longer my No.1.
    Now Bois des Iles is.
    I agree. I much prefer BdI over Egoiste. BdI is smoother, and even though it doesn't project much I get whiffs of it throughout its scent life, which is like heaven. It's definitely on top of my buy list for next spring season.

Quote Originally Posted by lgarruda View Post
    Exactly my opinion. I already had the current version in EDT and got Concentre last week. It is a bold and more strong version. In the beginning, it's so strong that is quite a mess, but after a few minutes the notes get clearer and perceptible, and it is when this frag really reveals its wonder. I sense it projects more than the EDT but I don't get a better fix.
    I do get a richer and more high quality version of Egoiste, but i don't find that the Concentree projection or lasting power is more than the vintage EDT (i have both from the same time, vintage 2.5oz splash bottles)
    Actually, i find the EDT stronger (more projection and longlasting).

For me, rating/longevity

5/5 to EDT Vintage
    5/4 Concentree
    4/4 current formulation

Ps: With Fix you mean lasting power?

I just picked up a mini 7.5 mL of Egoiste Concentree for $12. Not sure if this was a good price to pay as I haven't been able to find this anywhere. The bottles were going for crazy amounts. Are the mini's pretty hard to get also?

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone have any information on the mini's?