Code of Conduct

Default Scents that resemble rain or a storm

I love it when it rains - especially when it thunder storms. I love the power of it, the darkness of it, the peace that comes before the first drops fall and the gentle, quiet that comes after the last drop hits the ground. I love the smell of wet vegetation and ozone in the air. I love the smell of wet dirt and every other scent that comes with a storm. And I love the comfort of experiencing all this from inside an open window.

I just ordered Ungaro III on friday (blind) because I read it has primary notes of rose, wet vegetation, and woods. Hopefully this will satisfy what I'm looking for.

However, does anyone know of any other fragrances that captures a storm in a bottle? (darkness, power, wetness, wet vegetation/woods, ozone, dirt - all of this yet still comforting)

Thanks everyone

Default Re: Scents that resemble rain or a storm

try Demeter Wet Garden or Thunderstorm
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

L'artisan's Voleur de Roses.

I get my rain/ozone/waterfall smell from my ionic air purifier in my bedroom:

http://www.heavenfresh.ca/catalog/xj...e38dc08b00951e

:

It's not a fragrance though... : But great for cleaning up the smells in your house. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

you could check out this thread for some ideas (from femme board).

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1132510034

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I'll second this!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I'll second this one...good stuff!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I have a sample of L'Artisan's Voleur de Roses on the way to my place already

I can't wait until it arrives ;D

Guerlain Vetiver is what you're looking for.
    The raw earthiness of this fragrance combined with the fresh citrus top notes is what makes it so unique -- just like the smell of earth, and grass after a rainstorm.

My accolades, myaccolades! Great thread. i can't wait to hear if Ungaro and or L'artisan meets your desire. Be sure to let us know.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

The Ungaro III is a GREAT fragrance and should be just what you are looking for-----it is truly a wet, fall day in a bottle. It is so comforting and different that I sometimes spray it around the heater air pickup so that the whole house smells like this. It's one of those WOW fragrances that's just as good as touted.

Après L'Ondée means after the shower.

en passant, although it is a pretty feminine lilac, cucumber scent. but it is supposed to be the scent of a lilac tree after a rain shower.

Hey all,
    Interesting post.
    I second the recommendation of Demeter's Thunderstorm. Clearly this is not in any way a "work of art" fragrance, especially when compared to VdR, but it faithfully recreates the smells of wet earth and air that follow a heavy rain.
    Read more reviews of it (and other Demeter frags) here:
    http://makeupalley.com/product/showr...er/Fragrances/

Enjoy your samples. Both VdR and Ungaro III are very nice.
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Quote Originally Posted by Noseorgy
    en passant, although it is a pretty feminine lilac, cucumber scent. but it is supposed to be the scent of a lilac tree after a rain shower.
    Hmm...I'd never made this association before, but, I do only have a sample vial (ty Buffalo Gal). But, going and dabbing a little on my arm...yeah, I can see this. It is certainly...hmm..."dewy", haha, I guess. I do like this one. It's not an instant WOW! scent, but it's one where when I applied it I found myself regularly sniffing myself...I like it. Anyway, yeah, it is a bit on the feminine side, but, eh, if you like it, and you've got the confidence, I don't see why a man couldn't pull it off. I may just spring for a decant myself at some point.

Oh, and though I didn't mention anything earlier in this thread, Ungaro III rules! My decant is almost up, and there's a bottle in my C-mas future. I've said it before on the board...the price to quality ratio with this one is just staggering. If you don't like this scent then something is likely profoundly wrong with you!

GIT reminds me of wet flowers/greens in the top before a dry drydown, though not really a rain storm. More like a spring morning.

KenzoAir and Kenzo pour Homme. But I much prefer Guerlain Vetiver.

Another vote here for Apres l'Ondee.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

CK Truth-reminds me on wet grass.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned this yet?:
    GUERLAIN AQUA ALLEGORIA HERBA FRESCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire
    It has an ozonic smell throughout. Maybe it's the vetiver,
    but I suspect it's some synthetic that Dominique Ropion
    added to the formula to make this one unique..

Definitiely worth sampling.

Mmm I love the smell of ozone - even though it's poisonous to us humans. :P

Aprés L'Ondeé is one of the most beautiful scents in the world. Introspective and melancholy. Cool and serene. I also like to wear Messe de Minuit when it's raining or there's a thunderstorm.

Erolfa

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    Mmm I love the smell of ozone - even though it's poisonous to us humans. :P
    that's probably why it's such an addictive smell :

For me, the smell of a summer rainstorm is primarily the scent of rain water pelting down on hot asphalt. I have never come across that note in a scent but if I do, I will buy it.

Here's another vote for the roses (Voleur de Roses and Ungaro III)

And Apres L'ondee is truly absolutely beautfiful. It startles me every time I smell it. And although it didn't remind me of a showering rain at first, now whenever I smell it, it conjures up a late spring rainstorm just finishing up with the sun light starting to peak through the clouds.

Flowery description? Yes. But it's a masterpiece.

Griff
    Griff

Hmm, I've never tried Apres L'ondee but I looked it up and it says it's suitable for females.

Would this be suitable for males? I'm guessing if anything, it can only be worn on a summer day and not any other time because it would seem too feminine.

The problem is finding Apres L'ondee. I can't find it anywhere.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Czech & Speake No 88 smells like spring roses in the morning, after a long night of heavy rain. It's a very nice scent that's artistic in the sense that it tells a story. However, I personally find myself more fond of warm and sweet scents. There are quite a few fans of it here though so give it a try.

Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    Voleur de Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Lee
    The problem is finding Apres L'ondee. *I can't find it anywhere.
    The EdT can be found by doing a google search but its the parfum which is really amazing but almost impossible to find. I own a bottle of it and I love it. Yes it is feminine and hard to wear for me most of the time but it really smells amazing.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!

I'd probably layer it if I were to wear it - just I don't know what to layer it with because I have never smelled it

Bravo Ren! My thoughts exactly.

Angeliques sous la Pluie
    Voleur de Roses

Frederic Malle - Vetiver Extraordinaire smells like a fresh rain on a spring morning. Excellent stuff! Also Calypso Homme gives me similar impression even though it's very different scent.

Angeliques sous la Pluie FMalle - third time!
    And Preparation Parfumee by Andree Putmann - wet wood, pepper and water

For some more water look at IUNX range from Olivia Giacobetti - she is The Master of Water!

(cannot say VdR is rainy frag)
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Another En Passant vote here. Wet flowers. Amazing stuff.

(edit: should mention that I've just sniffed this one a strip. Seriously, it's wonderful.)

L'Occitane Vetyver smells like a grove during the summer with a stream running by it after the scent develops for an hour or two.

Lanvin Oxygene for Men does have a prominent ozonic smell at first, but that disappates to leave a persistent woodchip (prob. cedar) smell, which is definitely not for everyone, including myself.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything which smells like rain, but some of the mainstream aquatics might be worth trying (Acqua di Gio/Unbound, Bulgari Aqua, Chrome, etc.)
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

It's a cheapo and a blast from the 70's past, & one you can find easily on Ebay: Love's Rain Scent. It's light, clean, watery & marine, then dries down to a musty, musky, earthiness. Like sweet black dirt. As it is only cologne form, you may have to reapply frequently. Back in the early days of Menley & James fragrances, Love made this into a perfume oil, and it was great. I think some of the bath products are still available, shower gel & body powder/lotion.

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    My accolades, myaccolades! Great thread. i can't wait to hear if Ungaro and or L'artisan meets your desire. Be sure to let us know.
    So my bottle of Ungaro III arrived today.

I've done both a test strip (I use Mont Blanc blotting papers cut into little strips - works really well because of how heavy and fibrous it is) and a wrist test and I must say that on my skin, it is a completely different "picture" than on paper.

I haven't fulled picked this fragrance apart yet but I'm getting there
    On my wrist, I definitely smell a rose accord with a base of earthiness and subtle vegetation - I'm already beginning to fall in love with this. Also, there's this airiness to it that make me feel like I'm outside! To describe it more pictorily, this scent is like taking a walk in the forest during the autumn season. I'm walking on a dirt path with red, orange, and yellow coloured trees on either side of me. The sky is drab grey and there is a hint of an approaching storm in the air. With each step, I crush sodden leaves and send up notes of vegetation and dirt. I sense a dark forboding in this scent. Something is hidden, lying in wait, and ready to pounce. There is a predator near by and it is hungry. Then I realize that the predator is not near - I am the predator.

This would make a GREAT romantic fragrance or something to wear when 'on the prowl.'

This is unlike anything I have in my wardrobe so that's a definite plus. Yes, it's a colder weather fragrance but I think it CAN be worn all season if one doesn't not over do it. *It also plays out as an evening fragrance but like I said above, it can be worn any time as long as one applies with a restrained hand.

*sniff* mm that's nice..

I will update more as I grow more accustomed to this.

Way cool!
    You've convinced me. I'm gonna pick up that Ungaro III giftset I saw. It's Christmas why not? ;D
    I look forward to hearing more impressions after you live with it for a while. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Is it possible that a scent can be both warm AND cool at the same time? YES! With Ungaro III, is is.

So I've been wearing this for around an hour now and I must say that this is the first scent that took over 30 minutes for my nose to 'get used to' and not be able to detect as readily. (You know how with some fragrances, you apply it and your nose gets accustomed to it so quickly that you cannot smell it anymore unless you put your wrist up to your nose? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.) This is a very complex scent. (the following is my take on it - though I'm probably missing a lot of things because my nose isn't even close to being professionally 'trained' yet) It opens up with a fresh blast of what I believe to be rose and a little tiny bit of citrus notes. The middle is a little harder to detect. I think I keep getting it mixed up with the base notes! Well, the combination of the middle and base provides me with notes of a sweet wood (sandalwood? yes, I think that's what it is), wet leaves & vegetation, a little bit of comforting earthiness, and an airiness to it as well. Again, I must say that this is a complex scent to me and it's been difficult to pick apart - however, this is a very lovely fragrance. I should also point out that some of the notes that I 'detect' are merely the senses that I get from it (like the earthiness).

This is a very comfortable scent. There is a sweet-warmth to it that just settles me down but then there's a *cool airiness to it that lifts me up at the same time. This is a very well blended scent! I have never owned a fragrance that can both comfort and energize me like this. It is contradictory yet not. In a crude analogy, this fragrance is the the front end and rear end of a car. They're on opposite ends and facing opposite ways yet ultimately, they both move in the same direction. Does this make sense to anyone? It does to me but I'm a weird one ;D This scent makes me want to go out and meet people - going out on a limb, I suppose I can say that this is confidence inspiring!

This scent seems even more versatile now than it did when I first applied it. I can see myself wearing this to a family dinner, to a party with friends, or to an intimate night out. I can see myself wearing this both casually and formally. This scent isn't too difficult to wear either. It's very masculine in a soft way. It's like viewing a man through a lightly frosted window. You can see him but the edges are softened.

My nose is probably oversaturated with this scent as I've been constantly sniffing my wrists for the last half hour while writing this (yes, I take my time when analyzing fragrances). I'm beginning to not be able to smell it at all from olfactory overload haha but that's my fault. I'm a little unsure of it's sillage and longevity right now - but that's understandable seeing as I've only been wearing it for just under an hour and a half. I imagine this scent has good sillage but I'm not sure yet. It doesn't seem like a powerhouse but it would still capture people's attention. It doesn't shout but it does speak out, in my opinion.

I should also note again that there is a slight darkness to this fragrance and I love it. I know it sounds silly but this fragrance comforts, energizes, and puts me in the mood for a little evil - all at the same time. Like a professional assassin, this fragrance will kill comfortably and efficiently, then go home and settle down in bed with his wife. Amazing.

This is a great scent for interacting with others or just to enjoy on your own. Highly rated in my book.

p.s. yes, I know I have many takes on this one fragrance but I guess that just goes to show the versatility of it

Bvlgari PH reminds me of wet muggy rainy day, I often wear it in rainy weather actually.
    I'll second Kenzoar as well.

Quote Originally Posted by maksidrom
    Bvlgari PH reminds me of wet muggy rainy day, I often wear it in rainy weather actually.
    I'll second Kenzoar as well.
    It does a little, doesn't it? I don't know. For me, it goes both ways. It can go the way as you described. Or it can be fresh with the crisp peppery notes. It's such a light scent that it keeps changing on me as it never leaves that strong of an impression each time I wear it.

How does one get the parfum extract of Apres L'ondee?

Does anyone do decants on Ebay or here?

Sounds like an amazing fragrance and I would love to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    How does one get the parfum extract of Apres L'ondee?

Okay I just checked and I couldn't find the parfum version anywhere, no ones doing decants on Ebay, but Buffalo Gal does 1/8 splash decants for :60.00 :.

Do you think it's worth getting espically if you love L'artisan Voleur De Roses(This ones in my top 3). Should I go on a limb and get it.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    [quote author=nsamadi link=1133829701/30#43 date=1134083256]How does one get the parfum extract of Apres L'ondee?

Okay I just checked and I couldn't find the parfum version anywhere, no ones doing decants on Ebay, but Buffalo Gal does 1/8 splash decants for *:60.00 :.

Do you think it's worth getting espically if you love L'artisan Voleur De Roses(This ones in my top 3). Should I go on a limb and get it.

[/quote]

I'd do 1/6 oz decants of Apres l'Ondee parfum but its nothing like VdR.

There`s Indian attar named MITTI which is prepared by distilling a soil (baked soil?) from Gange river and the smell is described as `fresh as smell of first droplets of rain fallen onto dry soil`

Amazing! I`ll buy it in India!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!