Code of Conduct

Default "Warm", but not "Sweet"

I'm looking for a "warm" (read: "cold weather&quot fragrance--spice, incense, leather, whatever. I'm pretty open but with one condition: for whatever reason (chalk it up to body chemistry, I suppose) most fragrances described as "sweet" come across as cloying on my sking--Gucci PH, for example, was almost nauseating on me. So what are your favorite warm scents that keep the sweet notes to a minimum?

Default Re: "Warm", but not "Sweet"

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbuzzard
    I'm looking for a "warm" (read: "cold weather&quot fragrance--spice, incense, leather, whatever. I'm pretty open but with one condition: for whatever reason (chalk it up to body chemistry, I suppose) most fragrances described as "sweet" come across as cloying on my sking--Gucci PH, for example, was almost nauseating on me. So what are your favorite warm scents that keep the sweet notes to a minimum?
    Fretbuzzard, If you are not on a budget, I would suggest you to consider Creed Bois du Portugal.

By the way, welcome to Basenotes.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Thanks for the welcome, Sandalwood! I like Bois du Portugal quite a bit. Unfortunately the women in my life do not! "Stuffy" seems to be their favorite description. The new Tabarome fares somewhat better.

I use Bulgari Black for this. It's quite cold here and I just love it! On my skin it's very, very warm but even though it has a lot of vanilla(tonka bean, benzoin, whatever :P) it never really turns sweet on me. I've tried stuff like A*Men, B*Men, Pi and a lot of other stuff with vanilla in it but it's just too much and gets cloying. Black is very warm if you can handle the smell of rubber (black tea). I'd give it a try.

As always, try before you buy.

For the criteria you mention I'd say Yatagan is your fragrance. Initially I hated it, but shortly after that I loved it and I now think it is richer and better than 99 percent of the scents out there. It is warmth in a bottle, and it has nothing sweet. Beware, because your initial reaction, and even your enduring reaction, might be disgust. But if your nose "gets" Yatagan, you will never ever regret it.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    For the criteria you mention I'd say Yatagan is your fragrance. *Initially I hated it, but shortly after that I loved it and I now think it is richer and better than 99 percent of the scents out there. *It is warmth in a bottle, and it has nothing sweet. *Beware, because your initial reaction, and even your enduring reaction, might be disgust. *But if your nose "gets" Yatagan, you will never ever regret it.
    --Chris
    Wow I've never even smelled Yatagan but it's the first thing that came to my mind.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Hey,
    I too have a problem with "too sweet" fragrances. Something about my skin just magnifies the sweet notes - vanilla especially. If you find Gucci PH too sweet you may also find Bulgari Black too sweet. The vanilla is about as sweet as I can tolerate. Some of the suggestions here are good. I would try:

Art of Shaving Sandalwood- Very spicy pine/eucalyptus/sandalwood scent. All natural oils, no synthetics.
    Lorenzo Villoresi - Piper Nigrum Spicy black pepper/mint , but a litle powdery sweet in the drydown.
    Comme des Garcons Incense Series - Any of these, but especially Kyoto or Avignon. Nothing sweet hereat all.
    L'Occitane's Vetyver - Wonderfully spicy and warm. Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and pepper set against smokey and earthy vetiver. It evokes Christmas for me more than any fragrance in my collection.

I'm sure I can think of others...
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

For something a little lighter, try Balenciaga's Ho Hang, which is warm and spicy but not overpowering.

Santa Maria Novella - Nostalgia
    L'Artisan - Mechant Loup
    L'Artisan - Passage d'Enfer
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique - L'eau de Gouveurneur

Chanel Antaeus

1, Cuiron by Helmut Lang...

2. Nostalgia... although it eventually does drydown to a somewhat sweet basenote composition... if you just keep reapplying it every few hours you'll smell like Tire Kingdom all day.

-R

Tam Dao...warm, soft, and just faintly sweet.

Tam Dao - perfect reccomendation

Also, for something more mainstream, Brit fits the bill

Wood.......with the following being some suggestions:

Gucci Pour Homme
    Tam Dao - as previously mentioned
    MPG Santal Noble - between this and Tam Dao, I'm still trying to figure out which is my favorite sandalwood

Cheers,
    Jim

For the criteria you mention I'd say Yatagan is your fragrance. *Initially I hated it, but shortly after that I loved it and I now think it is richer and better than 99 percent of the scents out there. *It is warmth in a bottle, and it has nothing sweet. *Beware, because your initial reaction, and even your enduring reaction, might be disgust. *But if your nose "gets" Yatagan, you will never ever regret it.
    --Chris
    I've wanted a warm but not sweet fragrance as well and Yatagan has always been a fragrance that I constantly read the reviews for. I haven't smelled it but I heard that it's difficult to wear. Is this so?

Great recs above.
    Tam Dao (warm cypress/sandalwood)
    Comptoir Sud Pacifique - L'eau de Gouveurneur (as Paul G put it "This is Bvlgari Pour Homme after it got back from the South Pacific&quot
    Cuiron (leather)
    Amouage Dia (woody incense)

Hotel Costes
    Jaisalmer
    Sonoma Scent Ambre et Encens (bonus: check the non-extravagant price and raves on POL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    Chanel Antaeus
    This is excellent! For cold weather I love kyoto and if I want to smack someody, Silver colonge!

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    I've wanted a warm but not sweet fragrance as well and Yatagan has always been a fragrance that I constantly read the reviews for. I haven't smelled it but I heard that it's difficult to wear. Is this so?
    No it isn't so.

I suppose that common sense tells us that if you don't like a scent it would be hard to wear. Naturally there are no objective criteria to gauge just how wearable/likeable a scent is, so I can't say that what I like wouldn't be "difficult" for you to wear. I like Yatagan and find it easy and even a supreme pleasure to wear. Maybe someone else you've talked to finds it difficult to wear, I don't know, but I don't. Smell it and see if you'd find it difficult to wear.
    --Chris

[quote author=myaccolades link=1133809235/0#14 date=1133833993]
    No it isn't so. *

I suppose that common sense tells us that if you don't like a scent it would be hard to wear. *Naturally there are no objective criteria to gauge just how wearable/likeable a scent is, so I can't say that what I like wouldn't be "difficult" for you to wear. *I like Yatagan and find it easy and even a supreme pleasure to wear. *Maybe someone else you've talked to finds it difficult to wear, I don't know, but I don't. *Smell it and see if you'd find it difficult to wear.
    --Chris[/quote]

Alright, thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    Alright, thanks for the advice!
    All right is two words! Grrrrrrr...

(Just kidding. Heh!)
    --Chris

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! Here are my thoughts on a few of them:
    Cuiron: This is my favorite fragrance right now. My little search here is actually a reaction to its being discontinued--I'm looking for something to fill that niche. I don't own many fragrances (3-5 at a time) so it doesn't have to be a direct replacement for Cuiron, just something that's equally at home in the fall/winter.
    Yatagan: Maybe a bit too aggressive for me. I'm all for masculine fragrances, but this one is a beast!
    CdG, Kyoto and Avignon: The price alone has kept me from even sampling these--I'm afraid I'll like them so much that I'll have to buy a bottle!
    Tam Dao: A bit too much sandalwood for me, but a very nice fragrance if memory serves.
    Antaeus: I haven't tracked this one down yet, but it's on my list now.
    Passage d'Enfer: I need to track down a sample/decant of this one. I'm not sure about the floral notes, but incense may be just the right thing for my lapsed Catholic soul...

As for the rest...I'm sure I'll get to them!

Guerlain 's Heritage.

Its a warm woody fragrance that has a hint of sweetness in the backround. At least on my skin the sweetness is kept to a minimum.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

[quote author=myaccolades link=1133809235/0#14 date=1133833993
    I've wanted a warm but not sweet fragrance as well and Yatagan has always been a fragrance that I constantly read the reviews for. I haven't smelled it but I heard that it's difficult to wear. Is this so?[/quote]
    I don't find it hard to wear, but could see how some might reach this conclusion. The review by "Opalsdad" was the one that got me pointed at this fragrance, and is still the most succint and spot-on description of the fragrance I've run across. His thoughts of "try it first" are well-advised.

Cheers,
    Jim

Givenchy Very Irresistible Man
    Gucci Envy for Men
    YSL - Body Couros
    Boucheron - Jaipur
    Givenchy - Xeryus Rouge
    Dior Homme
    Kenzo Air Intense
    Mugler - B Man
    Chanel - Egoiste
    C.Klein - Obsession

Quote Originally Posted by levente
    For something a little lighter, try Balenciaga's Ho Hang, which is warm and spicy but not overpowering.
    Agreed! *I was going to post and suggest this but for once I checked the thread first to see if anyone had beaten me to it. * :

Azzaro Visit

D&G Pour Homme