Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your favourite Maison Francis Kurkdjian fragrance

Im really interested in this elegant looking line, so just before i sample them myself, i just want to get the general consensus on everyone's favourite and why

Default Re: Your favourite Maison Francis Kurkdjian fragrance

While I really enjoy APOM Homme, I think my favorite is Cologne Pour Le Matin. It's just so clean and bright and white and cottony and airy. It's like a more ethereal, more soulful take on Prada's Infusion d'Homme.

I found all of the scents to be worth sampling. The only one I didn't like, and not because it is inherently 'bad' but just because it is not my style at all, was Cologne Pour Le Soir.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I tried them all and i think they are all extremely well done and the package is elegant and classy.
    My favourite two are Cologne Pour le Matin (nice and clean and warm, in between Mugler Cologne and Infusion d'Homme Prada) and Cologne Pour le Soir (very nice honey/amber scent); and yet, both of them they have poor longevity.
    APOM pour Homme (which I own) is nice enough if you like strong neroli scents: it is a sillage monster, it stays for a whole day and then some.
    Lumiere Noire pour Homme is an elegant powerhouse, with a bit of 80s' flavour. It reminds me a lot of Krizia Uomo, potent patchouli and rose mixed with elegance, but not subdue by any means.
    Aqua Universalis is my least favourite: it is a nice Lily-of-the-Valley scent, quite feminine and graceful, but not really outstanding.

If I were you, I'd go for the two colognes. Both worth the (high) price: only shortcoming, they come in 200 ml bottles, so you might want to decant if you need a handy little bottle for travlelling...
    Last edited by lupo; 3rd September 2010 at 01:52 PM.

[QUOTE=lupo;1922439

If I were you, I'd go for the two colognes. Both worth the (high) price: only shortcoming, they come in 200 ml bottles, so you might want to decant if you need a handy little bottle for travlelling...[/QUOTE]

Are the 200ml bottles splash bottles??

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    Are the 200ml bottles splash bottles??
    Not really... They are regular EDT. Still, I would say the longevity and projection are more like splash fragrance. Not the price though in UK I think they go for about £125 at Liberty, which is not totally unreasonable for 200 ml...

I find Pour Le Matin to last 8-10 hours on me or more. So, the longevity isn't bad on everyone!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Lumiere Noir is just fantastic , I need this in my life

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I find Pour Le Matin to last 8-10 hours on me or more. So, the longevity isn't bad on everyone!
    That's great I might change my mind and put it back on my wish list!

Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDP (actually this is unisex on the lines of SJP Lovely). A well-blended orange blossom/floral musk.

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun. A strong rose/leather, also a unisex.

EDIT: My fault, as I thought ANY Kurkjdian scent. Now I know it's the *house*...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I don t like Francis Kurkdjian house because 2 times I send emails for some questions and I didnt have any answer. Simple....I like to feel important. For them, I m not.
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought APOM Pour Homme, it's a nice summer alternative to citrus or lavender style EDCs for me, and I may buy Cologne Pour Soir for winter. I'm interested to see what the new take on this one is like (see carmencanada's review at Grain de Musc).

Cologne Pour le Matin is my favorite although Pour le Soir is a close second. I get 8-10 hours with each. What I like so much about le Matin is it is energetic and uplifting without being overpowering or dominating and is far removed from headache territory. For me, it would be a perfect Go To Work scent. Le Soir seems to be calm and composed and to me seems to behave similarly to JPG's Le Male rather like Le Male's more sophisticated wealthy cousin. It's contemplative and mild like Amouage Reflection Man.

Lumiere Noire Pour Femme was my least favorite of our three samples as I didn't especially prefer the drydown on Mrs. J. Not to say it was bad, it was far from it. In fact it was quite good. We're going to give LNpFemme a bit more time before we decide for certain.

I'd go for Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. Very elegant... Should become a staple of my wardrobe as the cooler months hit.

Not the fragrances but i kinda like the way he gives a modern twist to somewhat old-fasioned papier d'arménie.

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme is fantastic.

Cologne Pour le Soir.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Cologne Pour le Soir.
    This one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Cologne Pour le Soir.
    Concurred - easily my favourite too.

I don't know what to do. I have never been so overcome by an entire house before. I literally want everything I've smelled (APOM, Lumiere Noir, and Cologne Pour le Soir). I need a different line of work apparently. They are just ridiculously good. While many perfume houses are latching onto the note du jour, Kurkdjian is composing wistfully beautiful works of art that almost defy categorization. How does he achieve the rubbery note that seems to be the binding theme among his fragrances?

Smelled Lumiere Noire Pour Homme - nice but wouldn't buy a bottle.

Lumiere Noire Ph

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    Lumiere Noire Ph
    This

APOM pour Homme and Lumiere Noire pH are both excellent. Although my girlfriend thinks the neroli in APOM makes it smell like a woman's frag
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Cologne Pour le Soir - Awesome intimate/date fragrance. Very intimate and erotic. Only issue is that it ONLY comes in 200ml bottle. WTF. Anways the more concentrated version of this in the small bottle (the Absolue Pour le Soir) is a whole different animal and I didn't like that one. It's too animalistic, leaning towards MKK or something.

Lumiere Noire Pour Homme - Another awesome scent. Talk about one of the BEST rose fragrances EVER. Smokes Le Labo by a long shot. It's an erotic intimate rose, but with an ethereal 'airy/ozone' energy. Versatile. I wear this for dates AND dance clubs.

APOM Pour Homme - Worth a mention because it's a decent day wear fragrance for an older guy in my opinion. It has a very soapy/clean scent to it. The kind of thing you can safely buy your dad as a niche scent. (And then go buy your grandad Lutens Borneo 1834 lol).

All the rest of the Kurkdjian line I've sampled extensively and couldn't find anything I like for daywear or nightwear or any other situation. I mean the others aren't BAD, but they're just kind of whatever in my book.
    Last edited by fsface; 25th February 2011 at 09:30 PM.

CplS was my most used fragrance of the last quarter of 2010.

APOM Pour Homme followed very closely by Lumiere Noir Pour Homme. Love 'em both.

Lumiere noire pour femme is the most original and noticeable
    though my favorite is Lumiere noire pour homme, which says: you dont's need to by showy to be sexy

I prefer Dior Amber Nuit to Cologne pour le soir
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

APOM pour homme is my favorite from this line, it´s close to being my signature scent, cause I wear it quit often.

I stil have to sample the Cologne pour le Soir absolue though.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

My top 3 frm this house:-

Lumiere Noir pour Homme
    APOM pour Homme
    Cologne pour le Matin

I find the pour le Soirs a little too honeyed for my tastes, though still enjoyable.

Hmm.. No love for Absolue pour le Soir?

Quote Originally Posted by fsface View Post
    Cologne Pour le Soir - Awesome intimate/date fragrance. Very intimate and erotic. Only issue is that it ONLY comes in 200ml bottle. WTF. Anways the more concentrated version of this in the small bottle (the Absolue Pour le Soir) is a whole different animal and I didn't like that one. It's too animalistic, leaning towards MKK or something.
    Completely agree with you. The Absolue seems like it's trying too hard to be sexy. Sometimes less is more.

Yeah, the Absolue Pour le Soir is worth checking out, because IT IS interesting, the way it's put together, it's definitely got some neat things going on, but as far as being wearable, and in what situations, I just couldn't find any use for it in my wardrobe.

I actually prefer AplS to CplS in terms of everything except versatility. And because of that, I used AplS 5-10 times in the last quarter of 2010 and CplS 15-20. Perhaps I'm one of those guys who would park the Porsche because I could take the Passat.

Seemingly no one mentioned Absolue Pour le Matin. Is it of lower rank? I'd like to visit his shop within weeks, and I'm eager like hell to know your opinion - alas, I haven't tried any of his products.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Count me in on this one. Stronger than the cologne. Very nice warm scent.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote: "Celebrated French nose Francis Kurkdjian has designed fragrances for Elizabeth Arden and Jean Paul Gaultier. A streamlined version of his bespoke service, for foreign clients, starts with a phone call. Give Kurkdjian an olfactory preference—rose, cedar, lily of the valley—and he'll conjure up five to eight variations for you to test. You then choose one, which he perfects when you meet in person. "It's not the perfume of a life I'm creating," he says, "but one that corresponds to a moment in someone's lifetime." From $10,830 for two engraved 60 ml bottles; refills from $244."

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl J. View Post
    I actually prefer AplS to CplS in terms of everything except versatility. And because of that, I used AplS 5-10 times in the last quarter of 2010 and CplS 15-20. Perhaps I'm one of those guys who would park the Porsche because I could take the Passat.
    This is a spot on assessment. I think you need to own both.

4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

I'm here finally in Paris. I have been to two Guerlain shops, one great perfume shop whith lots of houses I haven't known, and finally I went to the Maison Kurkdjian. I tried all of their scents, I had a very good conversation with the really nice sales lady. And - I've got it. I sat down for 10 minutes for me to be able to decide if I'd found it. Eric wrote here, APOM Homme is nearly his signature scent. Now I'm more and more convinced that it is my signature scent. I bought it (95 EUR) and I received four generous samples.I still don't dare to write down it is and will be my Holy Grail, time will tell. But I'm moved, that such a fantastic scent has been created. I just can say what the name implies: this scent is a bit me. The sillage is really great, and I could feel it in this early french spring. It's marvellous.

I write this after a day when I've tried more than 40 scents, D'Orsay, Caron, Guerlain, Idol, Tom Ford, Creed, Annick Goutal, and I've all the papers here on my table. I smelled again all -yes I know that paper is not all the story, but I have limited time and possibilities- and in none of them have I found that spark which would make me say: I need this. None, except for APOM. Money now doesn't count, this are my days of life If I liked Chamade Homme better, I would have bought it for 160 EUR.

So, my answer is: APOM Homme, and I'm waiting for long-long days of love.

@Sandy, it´s great you like APOM too. Now you´ll have great memories about this trip smelling this scent. I still haven´t smelled Absolue Pour le Soire. Did you try this one?. I´m going to Paris in May b.t.w.

Just on paper, yes. But it was way too intense to my liking, and to be honest it was after APOM, and couldn't help thinking about that one. The SA lady recommended another shop where possibly one can find Kurkdjian's line, if time allows, today I'll go there.

Now I resmelled all my papers, and there are three which I would reconsider buying, if I weren't in such a great love. D'Orsay Etiquette Bleue and Lubin Figaro and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver. I find them rather unique, nice scents. Vetiver is not my note, to say the least, yet TF's is so harmonius and complex, I can now admire it.

I couldn't believe to my nose yesterday when I noticed a barbershop-like line in APOM, but reading from different reviews from the net, someone else mentioned it. I don't know which note is responsible for this vibe, but it's so uplifting, together with the soothing orange blossom. And it lasts and lasts... and projects, too. I'm confident that this IS a scent for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I couldn't believe to my nose yesterday when I noticed a barbershop-like line in APOM, but reading from different reviews from the net, someone else mentioned it. I don't know which note is responsible for this vibe, but it's so uplifting, together with the soothing orange blossom. And it lasts and lasts... and projects, too. I'm confident that this IS a scent for men.
    I sampled APOM and thought nice but not for me. About two weeks later I found myself craving it again, so I put it on and really enjoyed it all day. I love this scent and it really is uplifting.

4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    @Sandy, it´s great you like APOM too. Now you´ll have great memories about this trip smelling this scent. I still haven´t smelled Absolue Pour le Soire. Did you try this one?. I´m going to Paris in May b.t.w.
    Well, for your sake I went to the other place where the Maison's scents are carried, you'll find it here, at the corner of the square:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A8...ris_M%C3%A9tro)

And I tried Absolue Pour le Soir. If you like SL MKK, then you probably will like it. For me it was way too much on my skin, from the very beginning with so strong animalic notes that I had to wash it off immediately as I came out from the shop. Not that it's not a complex scent, but again, not for me at all.

anyone tried cologne pour le matin and the absolue?

Quote Originally Posted by jlouismi View Post
    anyone tried cologne pour le matin and the absolue?
    When I bought my APOM Homme in the Maison, I got a generous sample pack with Cologne Pour Le Matin. It's a bit sweet soapy scent, I find it similar to Prada Infusion d'Homme, which I own. Longevity is not great, but the scent itself if great. Absolue was sprayed on my hand in the Maison, it's much denser, a really beautiful scent, mainly with the same notes as the Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    When I bought my APOM Homme in the Maison, I got a generous sample pack with Cologne Pour Le Matin. It's a bit sweet soapy scent, I find it similar to Prada Infusion d'Homme, which I own. Longevity is not great, but the scent itself if great. Absolue was sprayed on my hand in the Maison, it's much denser, a really beautiful scent, mainly with the same notes as the Cologne.
    good to know, thanks!

Just bought Lumiere Noire and APLS and love both for different reasons (animalic vs romantic).

Testing APOM now. Which I really like also! It's not dense but really projects and last. Somehow it smells very generic yet at the same time very different to the generic fresh Creeds or colonges (aqua di parma/penhaligons) if that makes sense. It has that classical feel to it, say a GIT take out lemon and replace with orange blossom and keep the woods and amber and wham! This could be a Creed. I am really considering buying this one too.

Just bought Lumiere Noire and APLS and love both for different reasons (animalic vs romantic).

Testing APOM now. Which I really like also! It's not dense but really projects and last. Somehow it smells very generic yet at the same time very different to the generic fresh Creeds or colonges (aqua di parma/penhaligons) if that makes sense. It has that classical feel to it, say a GIT take out lemon and replace with orange blossom and keep the woods and amber and wham! This could be a Creed. I am really considering buying this one too.

I'll be picking up a bottle of APOM PH for my old man for Christmas, he loves it!

Lumiere Noire is a beautiful rose scent, quite enchanting. Otherwise I've only tested the Absolu pour le Matin and APOM (both pleasant) and Absolu pour le Soir (too animalic for my taste).

IMO the whole range strikes with an overall incredible high quality but APLS is on a completely higher level.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

There is no turkey amongst this lot. Lumiere Noire is just a bit more amazing then the rest!
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    While I really enjoy APOM Homme, I think my favorite is Cologne Pour Le Matin. It's just so clean and bright and white and cottony and airy. It's like a more ethereal, more soulful take on Prada's Infusion d'Homme.

I found all of the scents to be worth sampling. The only one I didn't like, and not because it is inherently 'bad' but just because it is not my style at all, was Cologne Pour Le Soir.
    This is exactly, and I mean exactly, my opinion as well.

Just got samples of the whole line, knew apom and lumiere noire already but not the others. Don t care for pour le soir, love apom and Le matin. I would just have mentioned lumiere noire too which is fantastic imo.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

While when testong them for the first time I had only been impressed by APOM PH I by now own APLS, APOM and LN PH and love all three. However, the ugly duckling from the first test, Lumiere Noir, has somehow managed to sneak up all the way into what would I consider my top 5 right now. Go figure and make sure you test thoroughly.
    Smellin good

My fav is the Aqua Universalis Forte

Lumiere Noir Pour Homme. And if I remember right, really liked Cologne Pour Le Matin and Soir too.
    Last edited by Tony the Tiger; 13th November 2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Cologne pour le Soir is the only one I enjoy wearing often. It has just enough mystery. Like Nsamadi said the Absolute is trying too hard. The Cologne whispers, while the Absolute shouts - I like the whisper of soft and sexy better.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Cologne pour le Soir is the only one I enjoy wearing often. It has just enough mystery. Like Nsamadi said the Absolute is trying too hard. The Cologne whispers, while the Absolute shouts - I like the whisper of soft and sexy better.
    Yup. I feel the same way too about APLS. It's probably a fragrance style thing.

Lumiere Noire pour Homme (4 sprays) [though Lyric Man is more romantic]
    APOM pour Homme (2-3 sprays)
    Both for Spring/Summer

Frankly, I would'nt call either of them complex or dirty as some of you said though.

I own APLS and do agree that its good but not as versatile. For the same genre I prefer Musc Ravaguer. Need to revisit the cologne....