Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: The BEST Fragrance House

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1130848751/15#16 date=1130864025]Niche: L'Artisan, followed closely by CDG
    Designer: YSL, followed closely by Gucci

Agreed! (but I would consider following YSL with Guerlain.)[/quote]

I agree but want to add a small change:

Niche: l'Artisan Parfumeur, followed by Lorenzo Villoresi

Designer: YSL, followed by Guerlain

L'Artisan followed by Santa Maria Novella

Blog Entries

Overall GUERLAIN for Men & Women

For Men:
    Chanel = classic elegant colognes for powerful individuals (Antaeus, Egoiste, Pour Monsieur) till second to Guerlain though!
    Givenchy = innovation & variety

For Women:
    Guerlain = divine this is a perfumer who actually seems to appreciate real women. And the scents are so well crafted that they smell amazing on all genders.
    Dana = classic vintage feminity in all its many forms (Raffinee, Tabu, Chantilly, Canoe, Ambush - something for everyone)!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

chanel, creed, guerlain

I really can't decide between the three.

For me it is very hard question.
    Fragrance Industry is not a sport industry where they can win and loose, and make final match with extra-time, golden goal and penalties...
    For me Fragrance Houses are more like a artists!
    How you can say that Baudelaire is winner over Tolstoy, or Picasso demolished Renoir in a Champion Match by penalties?
    Yes, everyone could be a fan of some Team, or Fragrance House... But now I`m doing my best to remain eyes (and nostrils ) widespread and open to every good fragrance - no matter who did it...

Houses released so many frags, with guidance of different art-directors and noses, they`ve got good and not-so-good scents, masterpieces and populars; they have trendsetters and nothing-to-say-about-ho-hums...

So - I do not know my answer to this question!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    Fragrance Industry is not a sport industry where they can win and loose, and make final match with extra-time, golden goal and penalties...
    How you can say that Baudelaire is winner over Tolstoy, or Picasso demolished Renoir in a Champion Match by penalties?
    Yes, everyone could be a fan of some Team, or Fragrance House... But now I`m doing my best to remain eyes (and nostrils ) widespread and open to every good fragrance - no matter who did it...

Houses released so many frags, with guidance of different art-directors and noses, they`ve got good and not-so-good scents, masterpieces and populars; they have trendsetters and nothing-to-say-about-ho-hums...

Well spoken!

moon_fish,

I completely agree with what you said. However, I don't think many ppl are saying certain houses are better than others but rather the houses that produces scents that they enjoy more than other houses

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    moon_fish,

I completely agree with what you said. However, I don't think many ppl are saying certain houses are better than others but rather the houses that produces scents that they enjoy more than other houses
    Yes, myaccolades, and that`s also my point!
    I`m not a fan of some House for my whole life - my tastes changes, as everything in this world.
    Houses make new scents that could become my favourites.
    But anyway - I refuse to say even in terms of my integral (scents, designs, nose talent, house history, innovation in perfume industry, wearability, popularity, etc.) pleasure of House.
    I`m looking for new successes of Guerlain, Fr.Malle, Serge Lutens and going to try their new releases. And trying to get something common in their style.

I`m not argue with people sharing their ratings of Perfume Houses. I`m glad that some fellow Basenoters could do that ratings.

I`m just speaking for myself. I have some reasons to refuse make a rating...

`Sit down, moon_fish. Very bad! Tell your parents should come to school tomorrow!`
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1130848751/60#66 date=1132908970]`Sit down, moon_fish. Very bad! Tell your parents should come to school tomorrow!`
    [/quote]

lol ;D ;D ;D
    However I perfectly understand and agree what you mean moonfish, specially because my tastes are ever evolving...

If I had to pick one house...? *
    Even though Zino's my favorite, it's the only Davidoff that I've liked so far.
    YSL pour Homme is probably my greatest all purpose cologne, but I pretty much can't stand anything else by Yves Saint Laurent.
    The last time I answered Chanel on the strength of Egoiste, Allure and Antaeus--but I've since done a 180 on Antaeus and don't ever want to wear it again.
    So, I'm going with...
    Hermes.

Equipage
    Bel Ami
    and
    Eau d' Orange Verte

Oh, and if we're talking niche, then I guess I'd have to pick the only one with which I have any familiarity: Caswell-Massey.

Vintage Greenbriar
    Persian Leather
    Number Six
    Tricorn
    Jockey Club
    Lord Ashley Cooper

Frederic Malle or Serge Lutens

The houses whose products I'm currently most interested in:

Bond No. 9
    Creed
    Gendarme
    Ralph Lauren

RL is the only designer house in the list-- Romance and Purple Label compel my respect...

No launch from Paul Smith was a disappointment for me !
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Serge Lutens

I'm going to say it's a tie between Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, and Comme des Garcons.

With an unexpected third: Clinique. I think everything they've put out is great, female mostly but male as well.

Liz Claiborne.

just kidding

I changed my mind

1. Chanel
    2. L'Artisan
    3. Guerlain

As many have mentioned, this is a hard question, almost unfair. There's a lot of houses that produce great stuff, and many are represented in my wardrobe. So, to answer the question, I asked myself "is there a house that produces a number of fragrances that I really enoy, and none that I hate?":

Creed - the first house that popped into my head. I've enjoyed virtually every scent I've tried from this house since the first bottle of Millesime Imperial started this crazy journey

Aramis - as someone above mentioned, Aramis just hasn't made a bad scent....however, I've been somewhat disappointed with some of their recent offerings (e.g. Aramis Life). But the run they had in the 80's and 90's is hard to beat.

Cheers,
    Jim

Thumbs up Re: The BEST Fragrance House

Hermes

For one, life without Terre is simply not possible -- no Terre? --> ...I die!
    also, Hemes keeps it INTERESTING. JM, Bel Ami, Voyage, Poivre Samarcande... their creations are incredibly unique and so full of personality. You can build true relationship with their scents. ...you wear them, love them, try to understand them, reinterpret their meanings... After some 20 years of Equipage you may find yourself talking to the bottle, asking it "WHO ARE YOU???"

...oh, and they didn't resort to Aoud and Liquid desert dust to please anyone.

Guerlain

Creed, Dukes of Pall Mall, Guerlain, Crown Perfumery (original, not Anglia)

Guerlain (crossing fingers), Caron, YSL a couple of years ago, Hermes.

Dependent

Maybe I'm alone in this, but Tom Ford has some absolutely astounding fragrances. Tobacco Vanille doesn't even scratch the surface; I'm not even sure there's a Tom Ford I dislike.

Blog Entries

I am by no means saying it's the best House, but if I could only choose from one it would be Parfums de Nicloai. I am amazed at how much I am liking everything from PdN. I do not have a sophisticated nose yet and expect my tastes might change over time.

Moonfish is of course right...

With a single exception, I like particular scents rather than houses. The three houses whose scents most please me are Caron, Chanel and Guerlain. I do not care particularly about Chanel as a house/brand - they leave me cold. But their Cuir de Russie is superb, and near the very top of my list of anything I have smelled. I have mixed feelings for Guerlain - on the one hand, they have some masterpieces, but (considering their being a 'house' as a separate thing) I think they try too hard with their branding. They shout at one from the street with their promises of elegant illusions and the depth of history. It is all rather strained.

The only house that I like on the basis of itself is Caron. Caron is discreet. It does not insanely inflate the cost of its productions (the exclusivity strategy of Creed, which Guerlain and Chanel also follow). They are quite 'true' to their perfumes with respect to reformulations (I incline to believe this), and only add new perfumes to their modest line-up very cautiously - so they have an air of being thoughtful and judicious. This has, to me, an almost moral quality, which is only enhanced by their long affiliation with female perfumers, and creating scents in the cause of female triumphs in various fields. And they have some superb scents, such as Caron Pour un Homme, Tabac Blond and En Avion.

Tom Ford, Serge Lutens, or Robert Piguet for me.

Guerlainista

Easily Guerlain for me. If limited to only 1 house, I could live with HR, Heritage, Jicky, Imperiale, Mitsouko, MdM, Shalimar, LHB, ...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Easily Guerlain for me. If limited to only 1 house, I could live with HR, Heritage, Jicky, Imperiale, Mitsouko, MdM, Shalimar, LHB, ...
    +1.

the answer has got to be Christian Dior !!! look how many amazing fragrances they have produced..

Tom Ford, Lutens, Bond No.9, Gucci and Mugler are my favorites
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Banned

Creed

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Lutens > L'Artisan > Comme des Garcons > Chanel
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Chanel, Thierry Mugler, YSL

Although they are way too expensive for me, I would have to say Frederic Malle. Never encountered one I hated plus it smells of high quality to me.

Designer: Either Cartier, Hermès, or CHANEL

Niche: Either Creed, Amouage or Frederic Malle

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Guerlain is easily the best house.
    & 1

For me it would most definitely be Creed. Not only because they have some wonderful frags, but because the lineup is vast and diverse. I could easily give up all other houses, and have something from Creed to choose for a variety of settings - casual, sporty, dressy, formal, office settings, and the list goes on.

In using an automobile analogy, I would say it's not necessarily the Rolls of scent (maybe Amouage or Clive?), but certainly Benz, due to a good combo of quality and quanitity.

Designer: YSL, Loewe, Guerlain, Dior, Chanel, Caron

Niche: Knize, Hugh Parsons, ADP, Penhaligons

best house? YSL or Guerlain
    best house name? Tokyo Milk!

Thierry Mugler is closing fast on YSL, Chanel and Dior

Guerlain without hesitation.

Creed

Chanel for quality
    Serge Lutens for philosophy and vision

Chanel

I find I have favorite fragrances, and favorite types of fragrances, but not a favorite or "best" house.

Many houses hold favorites for me, many houses also hold fragrances that are huge disappointments.

too many to mention and, after all, I believe the concept of "the best" is a bit silly. There are great fragrances everywhere, as well as awful ones...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

1. Chanel
    2. Creed
    3. Hermes

What a deceptively simple yet infinitely complicated question...lol. Gosh, I really respect Guerlain and Creed and I really like YSL and Caron. L'Artisan is awesome, as is Chanel.....dang!!

so I'll say........
    Guerlain......Guerlain
    Zanshin

I would say Le Labo is my fave, except, they really piss me off with the overpriced city exclusive , elitist crap,
    Amouage is numero uno in my book.

CHRISTIAN DIOR is my favourite ! My signature scent is Fahrenheit 32, But I also used Fahrenheit, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Sport, Dune, and Eau sauvage

1. Creed
    2. Tom Ford
    3. Bond No. 9
    4. Chanel
    5. Frederic Malle
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

I like Armani because they make great fragrances that are manly, yet are not 80s powerhouses.

Second place = Lalique

What a great diversity of opinion!
    I will just say as far as designers go it's YSL and Guerlain at the top and Dior and Chanel just behind (for me)

Oops, I have to put Givenchy on the second place podium too.

7 years later. I still favor Creed, but I can't believe I picked Boss and Polo. I'd take YSL for the designer house now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Niche: CREED

Designer: Hugo Boss. A versatile little line when you think about it. Del Mar, Baldessarini, Boss Bottled, Boss Soul, Hugo, Dark Blue, The one that's a ball...A good mix of heavies and lights. You could cover all your needs and seasons.

Ralph Lauren. Polo (Fall, winter), Blue (spring, summer), Black (spring, summer), Sport (summer, fall), Purple Label (Romantic), Silver (casual), Romance (clean), Safari (accountant), a very good mix as well.

Creed
    Serge Lutens
    Tom Ford

It would be between Thierry Mugler and YSL
    In all honesty, I would go with YSL. TM seems like a big time gourmand house, whereas YSL seems to be very diverse.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post

Fair enough

Still, some houses are more consistent than others in putting out truly well made fragrances.

My vote for Guerlain, it is on a league of its own. Hard to beat masterpieces like Apres l'Ondee or Shalimar.
    And runner up is Hermes: I find their releases very... consistent. Having a in house nose is probably a winning point, and Ellena is a true artist.
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

Guerlain

-

-------- Guerlain

historically, I would say Guerlain.

As far as which house has the most fragrances I like, DIOR