Code of Conduct

Default A question for Uncle Griff(our resident ebay Guru)

I am not sure that this question belongs on this board, but I need an answer quickly and so this is my best chance of getting it. In my defense though, I'll just note that numerous post related to ebay purchases have been posted on this board and have remained. At the very least, this should be an entertaining thread and an informative one for fellow basenoters. I promise to provide regular updates on the proceedings, and if everything goes my way to finally reveal the bottle under dispute and the price I paid. If the moderators feel that my thread should be moved to the "Off-Topic" board, then that's perfectly fine. I respect their judgement.

Here's the story:

I recently bought a bottle of something on ebay. It was a Buy It Now auction, and I held off paying for it for 24 hours while I sent the seller numerous emails to let her know that her price was probably incorrect. I decided to go ahead and pay for the bottle because if there's one thing I can't stand it's ebay sellers who don't check their email regularly when they have Buy It Now auctions and who indeed invite you to email them if you should have any questions but never get back to you.

Well almost 4 days after I hit the Buy It Now button and almost 3 days after I actually paid for the item, I finally get an email from the seller asking me, as if nothing happened, to send the extra money, because she had indeed listed it at the incorrect price.

I kindly informed her in no uncertain terms that it was my understanding that a seller cannot change the price after the auction and that she was obliged to sell me the bottle at the Buy It Now priced advertised, the very price at which I bought it and the very price which I paid for it already.

Am I correct in this understanding, and how would you advise that I proceed of wise one?

Many thanks in advance.

scentemental

P.S. Have any of you had similar problems? How did you handle them, and what was the outcome?

Default Re: A question for Uncle Griff(our resident ebay G

It seems to me that you did the right thing. I believe a seller is obliged to sell the item for the price stated, even if the price is wrong. When it is the other way around, you have to do some obvious mistake, like bidding $2000 instead of $20.00, then promptly inform the seller. *

I had a similar experience. A new seller sold Eau Sauvage with no reserve. In fact, he auctioned all his items with no reserve. After I won the item for $10, he refused to sell it to me, because he "did not mean to" put it out without a reserve. It might have been an honest misunderstanding, but several others reported him too, and he soon became an ex-e-bayer. The professional thing to do for a seller is to just take the loss and thus keep their honor (and customers).

The whole reserve thing I've only seen in the US. There's no such thingy here in Europe. If a seller decides to start an auction at Euro $1.00 it's his problem when it gets sold at that price. If he wants at least Euro 20.00 for the item, he has to list it that way.

I bought several items on ebay which probably made the seller go crazy afterwards, but there was never an arguement concerning "for that price I don't give it to you".

If that will be the case once, all hell brakes loose!

But me as the seller of items, I had sometimes the problem of buyers who didn't want to pay for whatever reason. ebay will not help much in this situation. There's actually not much you can do about it, but list it again ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

[color=#0000ff]I kindly informed her in no uncertain terms that it was my understanding that a seller cannot change the price after the auction and that she was obliged to sell me the bottle at the Buy It Now priced advertised, the very price at which I bought it and the very price which I paid for it already.
    To my understanding, the sale is binding.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ng-seller.html

Good luck!

I`ve read somewhere in Russian web the cute example of misunderstanding in prices.
    Seller suggest everyone to buy for 20 bucks - excellent Cartier watches... photopicture!!!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I had a similar circumstance happen to me:

I won 4.2 oz Guerlain Vetiver EDT, deodorant stick and shower gel gift set for $10 plus $9 shipping.

Seconds before the auction ended I received an e-mail; the seller had reported the item as 'Lost or Broken'.

Seller had at least a dozen identical kits in her eBay store, more for auction.

Contacted eBay and *SquareTrade, "eBay's preferred dispute resolution service" http://www.squaretrade.com/cnt/jsp/odr/overview_odr.jsp . Because a sale hadn't been consumated SquareTrade refused to assist. eBay did nothing to help me.

eBay policed seller for possible avoidance of the reserve price rules.

I still don't have Vetiver gift set. *And she still has an unblemished eBay record.

Cold comfort: Seller's prices have increased to one penny below her Buy It Now price. Her auctions end without any bidding / sales.

I suggest contacting SquareTrade but I'm sure Griff will have a better plan.

scentemental - if this was the UK you would have a binding contract to buy the item at the lower price. I'd be surprised if it were any different in the US.

Oh, and dr creed - the reserve option is available in Europe - I've used it myself!

Yes, the price you paid is binding; it's the responsibility of the seller to check their listing for accuracy. From your narration, I'm wondering if your mail to the seller--the one sent after the BIN--suggested to her that you were willing to pay more, without actually saying as much. Kind of like when you notify a sales clerk of an error at the checkout: Say, this iPod is marked at two bucks. That can't be right, can it?

Yes, the price you paid is binding; it's the responsibility of the seller to check their listing for accuracy. From your narration, I'm wondering if your mail to the seller--the one sent after the BIN--suggested to her that you were willing to pay more, without actually saying as much. Kind of like when you notify a sales clerk of an error at the checkout: Say, this iPod is marked at two bucks. That can't be right, can it?

Keep in mind most buyers would not have told a seller they felt the price to be in error. This really makes me think that the seller felt you were implying you would be willing to pay more.

you are completely in the right.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Sorry, Scentamental, I was sleeping (for a change)...

Sellers may add shipping and handling charges to a Buy It Now price. Usually, sellers indicate what this cost will be in their listing description. I assume that the listing invoice included shipping?

However, the seller cannot demand more money than they indicated for their Buy It Now price ("the price was a mistake... I didn't mean for it to sell for so little, etc...". Doing so could actually result in the suspension of the account.

The seller is obliged to sell you the item at the amount for Buy It Now, plus their shipping charge. If they do not deliver the item, you can file an Item Not Received complaint with eBay by clicking the Security Center link on the bottom of any eBay page.

If the seller refuses to sell you the item for the amount indicated for Buy It Now and they refund your money back to you, you can still file a complaint for Seller Nonperformance. The steps begin with on the Security and Resolution page (the links to which are located on the bottom of any eBay page). Select the option for "Report another problem..."

Let me know if you need my help with this. griff@ebay.com

Now... what to grab from my wardrobe for the SOTD...

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno

Keep in mind most buyers would not have told a seller they felt the price to be in error. This really makes me think that the seller felt you were implying you would be willing to pay more.

No, all I did was to ask her to clarify if it was the correct price or not. After a number of emails on my part and silence on her part, I assumed that it was, an assumption one has to make if one wants to buy/pay for something that is listed and when one receive no confirmation to the contrary.

I have to say, if she had emailed me back promptly I wouldn't have purchased the bottle and would have allowed her to cancel the auction, but almost 4 days to respond to an email and then to assume that nothing untoward happened and to nonchalantly suggest I cough up the extra money without even so much as an apology is too much. It interesting isn't it to see how many people don't know the first rule of customer service; namely, that if you make a mistake, own up to it and apologize for it. If one does that in the majority of cases one disarms the customer's frustration and anger and usually things work out well. Not to do so is bad faith and an insult to your customer, and I was insulted, particularly since she didn't even acknowledge that I tried to be decent about the whole thing by emailing her numerous times before paying.

Incidentally, I recently purchased two expensive bottles of cologne from this person and one of the bottles I was sent was the wrong one. I mean the mistake was not even a close one. I had to take the wrong bottle, go to the UPS store, pay for postage and insurance to send it back to her. To cut a long story short, I was reimbursed for postage and insurance, eventually, after having to remind her numerous times, though I was never reimbursed for my time, but I also lost money when she refunded me the money because I was charged the seller's fee on the transaction. How long did it take for me to eventually get the bottle she should have correctly sent me in the first place, four and a half weeks.

I am sick of the lack of professionalism and care with these sellers. I had to remind an idiot seller just the other day that there is no such thing as an 8 oz bottle of A*Men, and especially not for the price of $39.00. Just yesterday, I purchased a refillable bottle of Jaipur Homme on ebay only to be told by the seller 5 minutes after the auction the bottle's outer casing which holds the refill "seemed to be loose and the bottle wasn't snapping into place". She assured me, with no sense of that anything was awry, that the juice was okay though. I sent her back a message telling her that it was her repsonsibility to state this during the time of listing or before the auction was over not after I had paid for a bottle that I believed had no problems. She was decent about it and refunded my money immediately, but what a waste of time and effort. I mean how hard is it to pick up a bottle and look at it before putting it up for auction?

While I am venting, let me relate another story. I once purchased a bottle of CdG Wood Coffee off ebay. It was adverstised as a 50ml EDP. When I received it was EDT not EDP. In actual fact, the Sweet Series doesn't come in EDP. The seller claimed that it was not her fault because she was merely following Luckyscent.com's description of the fragrance as an EDP. I reminded here that the usual way of checking whether a fragrance is EDP or EDT is to look at the bottle or the label on the bottle and sure enough there on the label on the bottom of the bottle it was as clear as daylight--it's EDT. The seller basically told me to go ahead and leave negative feedback and she would do the same for me. She was not willing to accept responsibility for the mistake. I know what you're thinking, she has no experience with fragrances. Actually no. That's all she does; she sells only fragrances. Incidentally, after checking and discovering that the Sweet Series doesn't come in EDP, I had to inform Luckyscent.com that all their listings for the Sweet Series as EDP were wrong and misleading. They had them listed as EDPs for months.

Now that I think of it, the straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that I placed a phone order for two pizzas a few days ago--one pepperoni and one cheese. When the pizzas were delivered, I got two pepperoni pizzas, no cheese pizza at all. What in the hell is this world coming to these days when you can't even order pizza and get the right thing! ;D

scentemental

I wouldn't pay a penny more than I already did becaue you don't know who the seller really is. In a personal setting you can make a judgement. Say you purchased a nice bottle of Annick Goutal from a little ol lady at a mom and pop shop and the bottle stated $1 but you know it is supposed to be way higher. Do you say anything?
    I am not saying there are times to be honest versus dishonest, if you can call it honesty. Basically it is just courtesy towards something they have or should have complete responsibilty over.
    Usually if the price is too low I think something is wrong with the item but if the description, picture and title correlate to what I think is good to go, then I will buy a bottle of Annick Goutal for $1 Its not like you're going to be out of much money for a mistake.
    It is their responsibilty. But if you want to be a very nice person then you pay the extra...very simple. Simple decisions are based upon numerous complex thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Sorry, Scentamental, I was sleeping (for a change)...

Sellers may add shipping and handling charges to a Buy It Now price. Usually, sellers indicate what this cost will be in their listing description. I assume that the listing invoice included shipping?

However, the seller cannot demand more money than they indicated for their Buy It Now price ("the price was a mistake... I didn't mean for it to sell for so little, etc...". Doing so could actually result in the suspension of the account.

The seller is obliged to sell you the item at the amount for Buy It Now, plus their shipping charge. If they do not deliver the item, you can file an Item Not Received complaint with eBay by clicking the Security Center link on the bottom of any eBay page.

If the seller refuses to sell you the item for the amount indicated for Buy It Now and they refund your money back to you, you can still file a complaint for Seller Nonperformance. The steps begin with on the Security and Resolution page (the links to which are located on the bottom of any eBay page). Select the option for "Report another problem..."

Let me know if you need my help with this. griff@ebay.com

Now... what to grab from my wardrobe for the SOTD...

Griff

Thanks Griff,

A model of clarity and conciseness as one would expect from someone who knows his stuff and is a true professional.

The shipping and insurance price was clearly listed and was part of the purchase total and was paid for along with the item.

I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my request for help, and I certainly will take you up on the offer for help if I need it.

Best regards,

scentemental

There is no question, as Griff already clarified, that she has no ground to stand on from an Ebay rules standpoint. But even then, had she been apologetic about it, I may have relented and paid the difference (being a nice guy, or an idiot more accurately). There is no excuse though for acting as if she is well within her rights to ask you to cough up the difference and not even saying "sorry about that". That deserves the most hardline response from you in my humble opinion.

scentemental -anytime you get an extra pepperoni pizza you can pack it in dry ice and overnight it to me. I would be willing to pay your buy-it-now price and a reasonable amount for shipping or swap for one of my decants. BTW- did they charge you the right price?

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    scentemental -anytime you get an extra pepperoni pizza you can pack it in dry ice and overnight it to me. I would be willing to pay your buy-it-now price and a reasonable amount for shipping or swap for one of my decants. BTW- did they charge you the right price?

LOL. Pizza for decants. I wonder if the new swap board Grant is preparing for us will have a way of designating pizza for decant swaps. ;D

Yes they did charge me the right price. Notice how very rarely they get that part of it wrong.

scentemental

It's pretty ridiculous how some sellers are. I haven't experienced any of them but just hearing these stories is bad enough.

I always believe that if an establishment lists an item at a certain price, they must respect that price no matter what because even if it is wrong, it is their fault and not the customers. I know that on several occasions, I've purchased merchandize that was listed at a lower price on the tag than what the price was when scanned in with the barcode. In ALL these situations, I was given the lower price.

I think that in order to satisfy customers, one must always keep them happy. I once wanted to purchase a ski jacket for $400. When I went to the counter, the sales person scanned the barcode and it was listed as $100. I was prepared to put down $400 but she allowed me the $100 - even though she didn' t have to let me know that there was a price difference, she did!! Now THAT is what I call good customer service.

I think when people make mistakes, they should take responsibility for it - rather than trying to drop it on someone else.

I share your pain scentemental! I recently bought a 4.2fl.oz bottle of Royal Bain de Caron on ebay, before placing a bid, I sent the seller an email enquiring whether the bottle was a spray or not, the seller replied that it was indeed a spray because his add described it so; but when I received my bottle guess what turned up? A bottle with no spray! I sent the seller a couple of emails but no reply, what do I do? Even if I leave some -ve feedback I jeopardise my own feedback. It sucks big time...

Good luck Scentemental!
    Let your nose be your pilot

In the situation just described by magnnum, you should leave the negative feedback anyway because if he or she were to retaliate with negative feedback in response, you could reply to that feedback and explain that it was retaliatory. But then again, that's easy for me to say and is no consoloation for the ruination of your up to then 100% positive feedback. I just think that in the interest of everyone, we shouldn't let these clowns get away with that kind of crap.

AAhhh Yes.......... Another Ebay Lemon as I affectionately call em'.............

The fallout from this transaction falls 110% on the lap of the seller, no room for debate, but obviously she's attempting to. *The seller is obligated to take the hit for the oversight. *Also, I'd have huge reservations concerning any future dealings. *Taking into account this fiasco and the shenanigans of the past, the trend of irresponsibilty and lack of common courtesy definitely sends up a flag. * She has issues..................... *Foremost being audacity............

If anyone a list of ebay sellers that they consistently have been satisfied with, can you post them?

Thanks,
    OO
    There is no Nose....

I can't believe I missed this post. It is truly a shame when people do not honor their word. If they make a mistake, it is their responsibility to fess up to it. It's hard doing business between two private parties because there's no mediator to oversee what goes on. At any rate, I would file a S & R report as Griff suggested.

BTW, I hope your next pizza delivery is correct. I can't even count the number of times when I requested no olives only to discover extra olives on my pizza.