Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is L'Artisan's Mechant Loup dark?

I'm starting to have a growing interest for this fragrance as well!

When I think of this scent, I picture myself sitting on a wooden rocker inside a log cabin that's up in the mountains. There is a blizzard raging outside and I must wait it out. I see myself next to a roaring fire, gazing into it as if it is Passage D'enfer . I'm dressed in furs and leathers and there is a blunderbuss leaning against the table. I have a mug of mead in my hand and I am contemplating the evils of the underworld of trade.

I have no idea where this image comes from but that is what comes up when I think of Mechant Loup. I think it's from reading reviews and the name itself. Is my description anywhere close to what this fragrance is like?

How does it compare to Messe de Minuit and/or Ungaro III?

Default Re: Is L'Artisan's Mechant Loup dark?

I got a honey hazelnut smell from Mechant Loup....It actually wasn't as strong as I'd hoped for....pretty weak.
    Maybe it was the sample because I've heard this one can be overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    I got a honey hazelnut smell from Mechant Loup....It actually wasn't as strong as I'd hoped for....pretty weak.
    Maybe it was the sample because I've heard this one can be overwhelming.
    Sorry, as far as being "dark".....I'd say no.
    When I think of dark....I'm thinking more of a tea for two, SL chene or C&S no.88
    JMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm into the darker, wintery fragrances lately.

I think this fragrance suits the winter - but if it isn't dark, what is it?

I don't want to limit myself to ONLY dark, menacing fragrances and I really do have an interest in this.

This scent seemed to sweet to be dark to me. Honey and hazelnut, not nearly as earthy or dark as i wanted it to be. I chose Dzing! instead for a winter frag.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

this is my longtime favorite. overall i find it warm and inviting, with just a hint of something deadly within. so no, i wouldn't classify it as dark per se. your description sounds plausible. but i fear if you already have such a strong image in your mind, you may be disappointed. but who knows. try it and see.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    this is my longtime favorite. *overall i find it warm and inviting, with just a hint of something deadly within. *so no, i wouldn't classify it as dark per se. *your description sounds plausible. *but i fear if you already have such a strong image in your mind, you may be disappointed. *but who knows. *try it and see. *
    What is this fragrance appropriate for? I'm really confused now because I had all these images in my mind already. How would you guys describe it?

Hmm.. I think I'm going to cross this off the list for this season.

Thanks for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    What is this fragrance appropriate for? I'm really confused now because I had all these images in my mind already. How would you guys describe it?

Thanks for the help guys
    well i don't mean to say that your description is wrong. in fact, i think someone could easily interpret mechant the way you did. but i do find that this frag is quite subjective. i don't know why. i love it. i've described it as petting a sleeping wolf. but i also know that many people shake their heads and wonder what the hell i'm talking about. they smell pee. lol. l'artisan is like that, perhaps you'll agree. their frags are often beautiful but quirky. you either get it or you don't. you like it or you don't. just a matter of personal preference. why not try a decant?

p.s. i do consider it a nightime/cold weather scent. just not dark.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=myaccolades link=1133849518/0#6 date=1133851581]

Thanks for the help guys
    well i don't mean to say that your description is wrong. *in fact, i think someone could easily interpret mechant the way you did. *but i do find that this frag is quite subjective. *i don't know why. *i love it. *i've described it as petting a sleeping wolf. *but i also know that many people shake their heads and wonder what the hell i'm talking about. *they smell pee. *lol. *l'artisan is like that, perhaps you'll agree. *their frags are often beautiful but quirky. *you either get it or you don't. *you like it or you don't. *just a matter of personal preference. *why not try a decant?

p.s. *i do consider it a nightime/cold weather scent. *just not dark.

[/quote]

Yeah, L'Artisan fragrances really are unique in their own littel way. They're vering Artis'y haha

Hmm, yes, you're right. A decant is probably best for now.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a big bottle of Mechant Loup and I love it to death! It's a bit sharp and strange at first, but after a while it settles down to a divine combination of honey, nuts and wood. There also seems to be a hint of tea in it, although it's not listed as a note.

I don't see Mechant Loup as dark but it certainly is different from most others. So if you want something different yet totally wearable, sweet but not too sweet, nutty with a bit of an edge and a little bit mean, you should give it a try.
    If you want something mysterious and strange with some library- and church-notes, stick with Messe de Minuit (which I find totally wearable) or maybe Avignon, they do it best.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm receiving a decant of Messe de Minuit soon from Vegas

I've been looking into Avignon but haven't found any place to purchase it - even eBay doesn't have full sized bottles (lately). I don't really want to fall in love with a fragrance that I won't be able to get my hands on later on

Mechant Loup seems like a fragrance that would really intrigue me because I am into the out-of-the-ordinary type things and this scent certainly sounds like it! However, I'm not sure about the nutty notes of it. How pronounced are they? I'm not exactly the biggest fan of nutty smells :P

The malicious Wolf actually it is no more than a smile. Actually it is a kind dog. Very positive all-weather aroma, a peppermint in the beginning passes gradually in nut heart. It is pleasant to girls I not time received compliments, dressing it. ;D

for comme des garcons avignon try this on line merchant
    http://www.first-in-fragrance.com/00sortimentselektion(engl).html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, fenton_t_fox!

Actually, I think I've changed my mind. I'm going to get a bottle of Mechant Loup. There are just too many positive reviews for this and everyone has been saying it's very good.

If anything, I'll just sell it if I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know where you live, but perhaps you could write l'Artisan Parfumeur an e-mail and politely ask them for a sample of Mechant Loup (and while you're at it, ask for one or two other ones too). They really don't mind sending samples!

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered it! 100mL of it to test out. Yeah, I'm a little :
    I can't wait until it comes in to try out.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't like Mechant Loup (Big Bad Wolf). Very gourmand to me. Honey, hazelnut, maybe a little licorise, fig leaves and did I mention HONEY? I have tried a couple of bottles and given both away. PLEASE TEST FIRST. If you want dark try L'artisan's Voleur de Roses. Now that is dark. It's color is red so dark it's almost black. It's earthy with patchouli and sinister with thorny roses. MMMMM....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    *If you want dark *try L'artisan's Voleur de Roses. *Now that is dark. *It's color is red so dark it's almost black. *It's earthy with patchouli and sinister with thorny roses. *MMMMM....
    I personally think this is a great suggestion! Voleur de Roses is indeed dark and foreboding, though beautiful. Other scents that I would characterize in this vein include Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi, Havana by Aramis, Frankincense & Myrhh from Czech & Speake, Antaeus by Chanel (dark leather), Trussardi Uomo, and Passage d'Enfer.

Jeff

Nope, not dark per se, but rather warm to my nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the 100mL bottle was only $47US so ;D

I have a sample of Voleur de Roses on the way! I don't think I'll be able to afford a full bottle of that any time soon, though. It's expensive everywhere. One of the main reasons why I bought Mechant Loup was because of the great price it was at. I mean, come on, how can you pass up a 100mL L'Artisan fragrance at price that's less than $50?

I'm going to email L'Artisan to get some free samples! Thanks for the suggestion, apekrul!

I've wanted to try Aramis Havana but I can't find any bottles of it at a reasonable price so I'm just going to stay away for a little while

Thanks for all the suggestions!

No, I don't think it's dark. Michael Kors is dark, and Noir Epices is dark.

Mechant Loup is dry and nutty, but I wouldn't say it's dark.

It grows on you. I still don't love it but it definately gets better with wear.

Agree with everone else on this. *It's kind of misnamed. *Not dark and not naughty, for that matter. *The honey was too much for me in this one. *Also agree with the suggestion of Antaeus as a dark scent. *That one IS a bit naughty, IMO...it smells like a predator...but I kind of like it....LOL!

where did you buy a 3.4 oz for 47$?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HLCcrazychrystal2
    where did you buy a 3.4 oz for 47$?
    eBay ;D

well, it wasn't a new bottle. It was 90% full but that's still a really good deal.

I've owned Mechant Loup for about a year now and wear it once or twice per week. My favorite way to wear it is in combination with Creed's Vintage Tabarome: one spritz of Vintage Tabarome to two spritzes of Merchant Loup. Vintage Tabarome lifts Mechant Loup, which to my nose is a bit subtle.

Try one of the Lucifer scents from Damien Bash, or stuff from www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any 'Lucifer' scents on the site :-/

It's really expensive at $23/5mL (at least the ones where I checked price)

.... overall i find it warm and inviting......
    I agree completely with Liquid's assessment, and I think you'll enjoy your 100ml "sample". Not "dark" per se, but warm and inviting as Liquid suggests. Also:
    - comforting
    - sense of depth
    - nostalgic (to the extent the "gourmand" aspects evoke hints of a kitchen past)
    - solid enough to carry itself through the colder seasons

It's not dark in the goth sense of the word.....for that, Messe de Minuit still reigns supreme amongst those that I've tried. But for a relatively heavy, complex scent with a hint of sweetness (as opposed to a traditional oriental "blast&quot, this one fits the bill. The good news is that, if you don't like it, you'll have no problem finding a taker on the swap board.

My bet is that it won't find its way there.

Enjoy
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim2154mn
    [quote author=liquid link=1133849518/0#5 date=1133851340].... overall i find it warm and inviting......
    I agree completely with Liquid's assessment, and I think you'll enjoy your 100ml "sample". *Not "dark" per se, but warm and inviting as Liquid suggests. *Also:
    - comforting
    - sense of depth
    - nostalgic (to the extent the "gourmand" aspects evoke hints of a kitchen past)
    - solid enough to carry itself through the colder seasons

It's not dark in the goth sense of the word.....for that, Messe de Minuit still reigns supreme amongst those that I've tried. *But for a relatively heavy, complex scent with a hint of sweetness (as opposed to a traditional oriental "blast&quot, this one fits the bill. *The good news is that, if you don't like it, you'll have no problem finding a taker on the swap board.

My bet is that it won't find its way there.

Enjoy
    Jim
    [/quote]

My impression on this is beginning to change I no longer see it as a dark fragrance. I am still picturing a log cabin in the mountains however it's an autumn afternoon instead of a blizzard in the night. Someone is baking in the area and the scent is wafting in through the windows. There is still a fire but it isn't roaring. I am sitting on a rocking chair with a mug of honeyed tea.

Thanks for all the response! I am pretty sure I will enjoy this fragrance