Code of Conduct

Thread: Starting point

Default Starting point

I'm a 20 year old college student (read just above the poverty line ) and I'm looking to buy some cologne. I've never been into this as I feel fairly uncomfortable going in to buy this stuff as I'm a fairly big dirt bag metal head and look sort out of place going in and shopping for this kind of stuff. However I want something that I can throw on if I'm going to a nice party or something. I tried reading through the FAQ but the links seemed to be broken.

So.... lay some advice on me.... turn me from a skid into a metro ;D

Default Re: Starting point

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, do you have any idea what type of fragrance you're looking for? There are fresh ones, oriental, woody, floral, etc.

Describe what you'd like so we can help narrow down what to recommend

Seems to me that you're looking for a fragrance that's good for partying. In this case, D&G pour Homme and By Man will be great according to many basenoters. Others like Black Code, A*Men and Opium pour Homme EDP(all sweet scents) will be great, too.

floral = no
    oriental = i don't know what that's gonna smell like so.... no

looking to pick up something that i won't feel like a total tool wearing trying to act WAY to mature and WAY to high class but not something i'm gonna feel like a total wuss for wearing.
    I guess not something way too strong smelling.... just wanna let people know that i actually do clean up kinda nice when i'm not in the mosh pit or playing a gig

i'm not really sure if that helps much -- but thanks for the really fast reply

Hmm. Try Yves Saint Laurent M7

There's power and subtlety to it - at least to me.

Orientals are fragrances with an ambery base or simply a sweet vanilla base.

These fragrances may interest you:
    ck One
    L'eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    Polo Blue
    Lanvin L'Homme

Hey hows it goin.....im a fellow metalhead myself *:P

Although I have a pretty wide variety of scents (or not compared to some on here!), some are more suited to different occasions. I would think that your after something that smells fresh and manly and not like a walking bowl of pot pouri.....youve gotta keep it metal!

Try D'issey Pour Homme, 212 Men or Acqua di Gio.
    These are my first choices when I want to get back to my roots....BLOODY ROOOTS!!! 8-)

Try Gucci ENVY!!!! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by longhair19
    I'm a 20 year old college student (read just above the poverty line *) and I'm looking to buy some cologne. *I've never been into this as I feel fairly uncomfortable going in to buy this stuff as I'm a fairly big dirt bag metal head and look sort out of place going in and shopping for this kind of stuff. *However I want something that I can throw on if I'm going to a nice party or something. *I tried reading through the FAQ but the links seemed to be broken.

So.... lay some advice on me.... * turn me from a skid into a metro * ;D
    A scent ought to be a reflection of who you are, not something you hide behind. College student? Metal Head? You should try something like Bulgari Black, Helmut Lang Cuiron, YSL Rive Gauche or CdG 3. These should exude some reflection of your inner self.

I'm awfully surprised that no one has mentioned Angel Men by Thierry Mugler yet...the perfect metalhead party scent that gets you noticed. Coffee, chocolate, peppermint, and vanilla...it gets the girls going.

It shoudn't be too hard to find, either: a lot of Macy's stores are starting to carry it, as does Nordstrom.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    I'm awfully surprised that no one has mentioned Angel Men by Thierry Mugler yet...the perfect metalhead party scent that gets you noticed. Coffee, chocolate, peppermint, and vanilla...it gets the girls going.

It shoudn't be too hard to find, either: a lot of Macy's stores are starting to carry it, as does Nordstrom.
    It seems a little sweet though, no? I'd imagine a metal head scent as something darker

But then again, I think he's looking for something to wear when he ISN'T dressed as a metalhead or in a metalhead environment.

Hey longhair,

I'm about your age and used to do the punk scene, so I think I get where you are coming from. Sounds like you aren't looking to make any big statements with your cologne, so I'm going to have contradict MF's recommendation of Angel Men. I will second Polo Blue, Gucci Envy, and Lanvin L'Homme and suggest one of my favorites - Gendarme. You'll probably have to find a Sephora to smell Gendarme, but its worth it.

Also, I know what it feels like to feel "out of place" at the fragrance counter. Just give it go and don't spend too much time there at one time. Also, in general, don't listen to the sales people in stores. They work for commission, Basenoters work to make you smell good ;D.

Welcome aboard!

Another metalhead here. I'll wear anything once. For some reason, I picture metalheads wearing Chanel Antaeus. I have it myself. Its personality is bold and loud, yet tastefully crafted, like my music. Okay, maybe not the music that I create, but definitely the music I listen to... haha.
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

To be honest, I'm not sure what a metalhead is like.

Perhaps something with a little gusto but daring: Fahrenheit. Bel Ami or Jacomo de Jacomo might also be up your alley.

If you can find a Sephora's near you, you might consider going in. They seem to leave me alone and they have oodles of frags to try. Not exactly the cheapest place, but you can always buy elsewhere.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Buy decants! There are members here with hundreds of decants offered at very good prices. You don't have to spend a fortune for some very good stuff. If you don't like your decant, you can use it a currency in trade for another.

True about the decants. The majority of my collection is comprised of decants of various sizes. I've currently got a huge lot coming my way. I may be able to live off them for the rest of my life, I bought so much. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Well back in the day when I was going to parties left and right my fav was eternity. Then after getting tired of that pungent frag I switched to Givenchy Pour Homme in the maroon bottle. Very nice, cheap, easy to get and not overly pungent.
    Perfect for a long haired metal head, you could even get away with putting the bottle on top of your amp as it wouldn't look too bad at all. Although I wouldn't recommend it cause if you play real metal then it wouldn't be there for very long ;D
    It's kind of a woody citrusy scent. If you get freaked out about the grapefruit being in there, don't worry as it cannot be singled out and you are not gonna smell like a fruit. You can get them on ebay for around $25 or so for a 3.4Oz.
    You might even want to try Xeryus Rouge also by Givenchy, same price but a very "red" scent to say the least.
    These are good solid scents for any environment, even a mosh pit, but I wouldn't wear it there for obvious reasons.

you sound like a Drakkar Noir man to me.