Code of Conduct

Thread: Etro Vetiver

Default Etro Vetiver

I recently ordered some Decants from Ebay, including this Vetiver.

I think this is the first fragrence I've smelled that actually makes me wince at it's odor! It's top notes smell like rancid Indian food and after dry down it smells like vulanized ruber! I don't even smell any Vetiver.

I own Guerlain Vetiver, and have smelled a few other Vetivers, so I have a good feel for them, but nothing prepared me for this!

Is it just my body chemistry? Does anyone like this.

Along with my order, I received a sample of Etro Santal which I think is great.

Default Re: Etro Vetiver

In my experience, vetiver is a scent that raises strong reactions: you hate it ot love it. That being said, there are many variations on it from many perfumers. Try some others...
    Cordially,

Serge

Etro Vetiver was the one that made me fall for vetiver, I love it! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

But I don't like Guerlain or Creed vetivers. [smiley=tongue.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

One of my favorite vetivers. I don't get a rubber smell from this scent. I detect tobacco and vetiver, with light herbs. I have a decant and am considering a full bottle. I haven't decided on the lasting ability yet; sometimes I think it's fleeting, others I think it lasts well. A well made scent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    I recently ordered some Decants from Ebay, including this Vetiver.

I think this is the first fragrence I've smelled that actually makes me wince at it's odor! It's top notes smell like rancid Indian food and after dry down it smells like vulanized ruber! I don't even smell any Vetiver.

I own Guerlain Vetiver, and have smelled a few other Vetivers, so I have a good feel for them, but nothing prepared me for this!

Is it just my body chemistry? Does anyone like this.

Along with my order, I received a sample of Etro Santal which I think is great.
    It's the roughest vetiver I've smelled. It's pretty much the same as smelling vetiver essential oil.
    Lorenzo Villoresi's is a bit more refined than Etro's.
    And the designer ones are heaps more refined.
    Still, I didn't dislike the Etro one.
    Renato

Yes I do think in this case it is a matter of taste, although I like the Annick Goutal's (1981) Vetivier
    the best of any of the more popular ones I do like the Etro Vetiver (1989) very much. Just to re-cap the notes...

Top/Head: Aromatic (clary sage, artemisia)

Middle/Heart:Woody (cedar wood, cypress)

Base/Bottom: Tobacco (tabacco absolute)

... and believe me I am not saying, you should aquire a taste for it but for those of here that like it - I wonder how many like
    it because it brings back a memory of a by gone past... I know for me it does but I will not bother you with the details.

C
    CG

I also found this terrible when first testing, but now I quite like it. [smiley=laugh.gif]
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

It is my favorite Vetiver scent so far. I can't stand Carven or Creed9what a waste of money). The Lorenzo Villoresi is quite nice but not as pure as the Etro.

This is a raw, earthy vetiver as if it was yanked right up from the dank, wet earth. I do not prfer this. I much prefer the creed vetivers.

Basenotes Institution

I'm bumping this old thread, because I finally got to the ETRO Vetiver today, thanks to Ruggles.

I am extremely fond of Route du Vetiver by MPG and I also find the Creed Original Vetiver and Guerlain's Vetiver both very pleasant, although I'll probably never buy full bottles. I assumed ETRO's would be as 'dirty' as MPG's, given the above comments. And when I first applied it this morning, upon application I 'got' the dirty notes. However this very quickly faded on my skin. I got a few slight whiffs of it about an hour after it was on my skin, so I thought it might be coming back. But then it disappeared for good. I'm sure there are faint lingering molecules on my skin, but because of the nature of vetiver on my skin I need a little more tenacity in them to get me interested.

I have a few more vetiver fragrances to try, that get lots of praise: Vetiver Extraordinaire by Malle, Annick Goutal's vetiver...a few I can't remember now. But as for the ETRO, I'm slightly disappointed. I'm going to put it away and retest in cooler weather.

I have this and I quite like it, though I feel it has, like so many other Etros, a certain "synthetic/plastic" note to it. It does have a more dominant actual "vetiver" smell to it than Guerlain (drowned out by tobacco), SL Vetyver Oriental (which I like, but there's so much else going on in the drydown) Creed OV (great, but very blended) or Dominguez (on of my all time fave's) to my nose. I like L'Occitane's slightly spicy-oriental rendition a tad better, but I must say the most impressive I've tried in terms of raw an natural vetiver power is Villoresi's (but then I'm very fond of his approach to fragrance).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I have this and I quite like it, though I feel it has, like so many other Etros, a certain "synthetic/plastic" note to it.
    I find the Etro house note not at all synthetic, but musty and dusty, it reminds me of museums, archives, libraries and second hand bookstores... LOVE IT!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I have this and I quite like it, though I feel it has, like so many other Etros, a certain "synthetic/plastic" note to it. It does have a more dominant actual "vetiver" smell to it than Guerlain (drowned out by tobacco), SL Vetyver Oriental (which I like, but there's so much else going on in the drydown) Creed OV (great, but very blended) or Dominguez (on of my all time fave's) to my nose. I like L'Occitane's slightly spicy-oriental rendition a tad better, but I must say the most impressive I've tried in terms of raw an natural vetiver power is Villoresi's (but then I'm very fond of his approach to fragrance).
    I forgot about the Villoresi Vetiver. I will make it a point to sniff it soon.