Code of Conduct

Default A*Men's Popularity

I was looking at www.perfumeworld.net and was looking at the bestsellers and noticed in SHOCK that A*Men is not in the top 10 USA,Europe,UK,Italy,France bestsellers? Reason for the shock is because of how popular it is on Basenotes, and also on Perfumeemporium.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A*Men's Popularity

That's because it's the 2003 bestseller list and the fact that the 2004 and 2005 lists haven't been uploaded yet.

However, I found out from ilnaso (a Basenoter who works for Thierry Mugler Parfums) that Angel Men (as it's known in the US) just broke into the US top 10 this year, joining such scents as Acqua di Gio and Chrome in the prestigious list. Angel (for women) also became the #1 women's scent in the US this year, despite somewhat limited distribution compared to other popular fragrances (Estee Lauder's Beautiful is distrubuted in 4 times the doors that Angel is in last time I checked).

As for the #1 selling men's scent in Europe? Le Male without a doubt, though A*Men is up there in some countries including France.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

I work for Thierry Mugler and A*Men shows up on the top ten at least half the year but unfortunately it is really a niche fragrance because of the gourmand therefore fairly putting off American men who crave light airy fragrances that have no personality, such as AdG and Romance...

As I can see, the most recent top 10 they have is for 2003, which in my opinion is quite old. Even in these, we have Amen at tha top 10 of France, at the 9th position.

Thanks for all the info guys 8-)

I was shocked to not see it in the UK top 10, I have smelt it around alot, more then Fahrenheit Polo Blue and Issey Miyake, as for Le Male my growing hate for it is geting bigger every day, one time i smelt it on 7 different people in 1 day here in London, sometimes its the only fragrance i smell on people, like people here have no other choices.

A*Men has really grown on me, had a few bad experiences with people who had oversprayed it before, but i really seem to like it, I just HOPE it does not become a Le Male, Imagin the power of A*Men on nearly every guy in London, might need to wear a gas mask ;D
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5

bn is hardly representative of the general population.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    If the general populations' tastes translated to Basenotes, we would all be wearing Kenneth Cole Signature, Polo Black, Chrome, and Acqua di Gio... :P
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

I always thought that A*Men was popular like Adg,Issey,Le Male ect... even before I found Basenotes just becuase of the number of times I smelt it on people and read reviews on the web.

Top 5

I live in Denmark and I don't think I know anyone who wears A*Men or B*Men. People here tend to also like AdG, Le Male and Lacoste scents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by liquid
    Actually, it's worse than that - people who post at Basenotes aren't even representative of Basenote's membership. A few years ago, the winner of best scent in the Basenote's awards was Mambo for Men - a scent that had hardly, if ever, been mentioned by the Basenote's posters.
    Renato

Let's not forget why Drakkar Noir is still being manufactured...sorry guys, but I just have a total aversion to it when someone I know wore it for at least 3 years straight, everyday, and very generously applied. I thanked the day when he finally decided to graduate to Polo Sport (ho, hum), at least it was a change finally!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say this, but I hope A*Men never gets popular. I have yet to smell it on someone and to me, that's great. It's not that I always hate wearing what everyone else is wearing, but somehow A*Men just makes me special, like it's mine. Since I never smelled it on anyone, that gives the impression that no one in the world wears it.

Just me... ;D

It's mine, all mine! :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris21
    I hate to say this, but I hope A*Men never gets popular. I have yet to smell it on someone and to me, that's great. It's not that I always hate wearing what everyone else is wearing, but somehow A*Men just makes me special, like it's mine. Since I never smelled it on anyone, that gives the impression that no one in the world wears it.

Just me... *;D

It's mine, all mine! *:
    I'm just like you - I like to be the only one to be wearing a fragrance. Obviously this only applies to my group of friends and the university I attend.

I just think that there is a misunderstanding here. The reason we might think that a perfume is really popular is that it has a very distinct and characteristic smell that we recognize and remember on someone while most of the people wear perfumes that we dont really notice. Therefore if we meet a lot of people during one day we will not really notice the perfume they are wearing unless its some kind of a really strong and distinct such as A*men and Le male. Therefore we are left with the impression that these are the only ones worn by everybody. The same goes woth womens perfume. Nobody will notice a light perfume but we will all remember the strong ones assuming they are the most popular. I just think this might be the case although i am not 100% sure...

For some strange reason, maybe its just me - I olny smell it on old middle-eastern men. Amen used to be an eye-opener to me (should I say nose-opener?) It used to reminds me of autumn evening at a cafe, now its nothing but terayaki sauce to me.

SOOOOO dated, tired. Why would someone want to smell like everyone else? I don't get it.

A*men falls into that very small category (and I'm still working on whether this is fortunate - lots of lovely smells, or unfortunate - lots of hideous expense) of NFM

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    SOOOOO dated, tired. Why would someone want to smell like everyone else? I don't get it.
    Here in San Diego County, I have NEVER smelled A*Men on ANYBODY. In fact, I haven't smelled 90% of my wardrobe on anybody around here (I DO smell AdG, Drakkar, Eternity, Cool Water, Polo, Brut, etc. on men I've had contact with), but never anything from Mugler, Creed, Bvlgari, YSL, etc.

As for "dated" and "tired"...are the Beatles "dated" and "tired"? Or Elvis? Or Sinatra? Or Led Zeppelin? Or "The Godfather"? Or "Casablanca"? Or "Gone With the Wind"? Or "The Wizard of Oz"? Or Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"? Or Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" or "Nutcracker Suite"? Or anything by Mozart or Beethoven? Are they all "dated" and "tired"?

To each their own as far as tastes in movies, music, or fragrances are concerned. But haven't you ever heard of "stands the test of time"? Or even, "classic"?
    David and Becca forever!!

Post Thanks / Like

The main reason why I no longer wear AdG or L'eau D'issey is because of the number of people that I can easily smell it on.

Now, I stick with fragrances that are either not as popular with my age group (20) or niche fragrances that the average person would not be aware of.

To tell you the truth, I have not smelled A*Men on anyone in Toronto either. I'm considering this fragrance but I don't find that it suits me - the sweetness of it just doesn't seem masculine enough. I would wear it on occasion but I don't think I'll ever invest in an entire bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades
    The main reason why I no longer wear AdG or L'eau D'issey is because of the number of people that I can easily smell it on.

Now, I stick with fragrances that are either not as popular with my age group (20) or niche fragrances that the average person would not be aware of.

To tell you the truth, I have not smelled A*Men on anyone in Toronto either. *I'm considering this fragrance but I don't find that it suits me - the sweetness of it just doesn't seem masculine enough. I would wear it on occasion but I don't think I'll ever invest in an entire bottle.
    Then I recommend you give Hanae Mori a chance its lighter and more citrusy then A*Men, I also find H.M has like a cigar smoke type of smell but that could just be me, but give it a try, at first you might find it smells like syrup but in time you might like it like I do.

Top 5

Quote Originally Posted by myaccolades

My friend, you could seriously be my clone! ;D Except, I'm 22, but same age group anyways. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    [quote author=myaccolades link=1133740702/15#18 date=1133823235]

My friend, you could seriously be my clone! ;D Except, I'm 22, but same age group anyways. ;D[/quote]

I feel the same, Hysteria! Bah, 2 years is nothing. I think we are a rarity in our generation. There aren't many like us. Most our age are into mainstream - we are the ones with the courage to stand out.