Code of Conduct

Default Tobacco or Cognac/Brandy Cigar Room Colognes?

Since I decided not to buy an 8.4 oz. bottle of Vintage Taberome due to issues of freshness (see discussions re 9 Bond), I'm now wondering what to use while saving up for a non-vintage Vintage. I'm looking for something that might be fitting in a cigar and brandy smoking room (think of the Hotel St. Regis or Bar and Book).

I don't happen to be in love with the more conveniently bottled Taberome Millesime -- I preferred the Vintage before ever coming to Basenotes. Paul Smith London is supposed to have brandy and cognac notes, but I find it unsatisfying. Versace's The Dreamer is interesting but seems too synthetic, too literal: it over-emphasizes the notes I'd prefer to soften.

Any ideas? Luxury, niche, mass-market -- all apply.

Default Re: Tobacco or Cognac/Brandy Cigar Room Colognes?

Le Dandy by D'Orsay is a wonderful mix of tobacco and whiskey (appleish) throughout.

Take a look at my Idole de Lubin thread. That scent contains rum absolute.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

My faves are:

Le Dandy
    Frank No.2
    Tabarome Millesime
    Feuilles de Tabac

JHL

Nicole Miller for Men

Burberry London for Men
    Spark for Men
    Escada for Men

and oddly... Egoiste
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

To add to all the excellent prior suggestions, Michael for Men.

Jeff

I would second Le Dandy and add Cigar Aficinado. I just bought it after not being able to find it until I became a member here ;D. Havana by Arimis might be what you're looking for too.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Aramis JHL

Alright I'll go out on a limb and embarass myself (again!) by suggesting the dirt-cheap, mass-market Lagerfeld Classic. *
    I say this quietly, as I think I'm the only guy on BaseNotes that likes this one!
    :-X

Carolina Herrera for men i say

Quote Originally Posted by gingerpress
    Since I decided not to buy an 8.4 oz. bottle of Vintage Taberome due to issues of freshness (see discussions re 9 Bond), I'm now wondering what to use while saving up for a non-vintage Vintage. *I'm looking for something that might be fitting in a cigar and brandy smoking room (think of the Hotel St. Regis or Bar and Book).

I don't happen to be in love with the more conveniently bottled Taberome Millesime -- I preferred the Vintage before ever coming to Basenotes. *Paul Smith London is supposed to have brandy and cognac notes, but I find it unsatisfying. *Versace's The Dreamer is interesting but seems too synthetic, too literal: it over-emphasizes the notes I'd prefer to soften.

Any ideas? *Luxury, niche, mass-market -- all apply.

First, *allow me to rescue Coleman from his embarassment by topping *( or bottoming) *his suggetion with Very Valentino or*the incredibly*el cheapo Cuba Red. * What the hell, * I think they're *better than VD.

( both the disease and Versace's frag )

*In fact, *I'm a bit confused about about VD *in the environs you describe. *Yes it has tobacco at the base *but that's drowned in *Iris--give me Dunhill '34 or *Creed's R.E.L. to wear in the finest cigar and brandy rooms, **though neither cologne has booze or tobacco. * *Hmm . . .maybe it's the leather chairs ?

Second, * I'll second Havana. * What a great interpretation of Bay Rum --plus everything under the Caribbean sun.

I tried *Le Dandy and really liked it but found it weak in sillage and longevity. *Others may have differing views.

Prince Barry: *Thank you for posting! * I did look up your thread on Lubin. * The composition sounds splendid---beginning with rum absolute, *however *the links to order or sample have lead me to a dead end. * :-?

Could you be kind enough to post *again as to where one may buy this?

Cheers,

Mario.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hi Mario, here is their website url..prepare for a visual experience.

http://www.parfum-lubin.fr

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Good question, gingerpress!

I`m glad that you fill your air with the same stuff I like.
    So let`s see into the wardrobe...

Le Boise by Ginestet. Woody cedar with hint of vanilla and oakmoss. Bottled in excellent wine bottle of Bordeaux. Smells like a wine without acidity.

Frapin 1270. That`s cognac gourmand cologne. Sweet, smooth and warm but quite unisex. Honey, sugared citrus, raisins, coffee, pepper and other spices, but with undertones of leather and immortelle. See at www.cognac-frapin.com

Yohji pour Homme. Rhum, coffee, leather and spices. Excellent made by Patou in-house perfumer Duriez.

Eau de Navigateur MPG. Rhum note also. Dark and brooding rough mix with spices.

Tea for two by L`Artisan. This is not about booze, but about lapsang souchong tea. Very soothing and calming. Also vanilla and gingerbread... Eau de Fier by Goutal is excellent for open fire (also smoky lapsang smell) - but it is very concentrated and could pull you off your brandy... In this category Hermessence Vetiver Tonka and Ambre Narguile will fit also.

I`d say that quite a good choice could be Leathery colognes. Like Knize Ten, Cabochard de Gres, Oud Cuir d`Arabie, Bandit (fem) by Piguet, Derby Guerlain, DK Fuel by Donna Karan, Cuir de Russie (Chanel, Creed, etc.), Cuir Mauresque Serge Lutens, Bel Ami Hermes, Or Black Morabito, Tabac Blonde by Caron...........

And for me immortelle note would be the best for calming smoke and bar. Like Goutal`s Sables and Christian Dior Eau Noire...

Gucci pour homme or Heritage Guerlain - AND NORMA KAMALI INCENSE (top choice!) will fit too.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

For tabacco scents, one of the best is SMN's Acqua di Cuba.

Just be sure to sample it first. To some people its a love it or hate it kind of fragrance. I happen to love it.

Jeff

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Another vote for Michael Kors. It's available dirt cheap and tobacco/brandy is exactly the impression I get from it.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    First, *allow me to rescue Coleman from his embarassment by topping *( or bottoming) *his suggetion with... [etc.]
    Mario, I thank you! * ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    Alright I'll go out on a limb and embarass myself (again!) by suggesting the dirt-cheap, mass-market Lagerfeld Classic. *
    I say this quietly, as I think I'm the only guy on BaseNotes that likes this one!
    :-X
    great suggestion,I thought I was the only one that liked it,I don't have it now
    but I sure wore it out,recently thought about getting it again,great stuff,best of
    lagerfeld.

Try Havana for a blend of Tobacco, spices & bay rum
    Let your nose be your pilot

Escada PH
    Michael Kors
    Gucci PH

Gucci PH!