Code of Conduct

Thread: Musc Ravageur

Default Musc Ravageur

And so I finally got a chance to sniff Musc Ravageur. First blast is civet, civet, and more civet - like a civet cat had farted in my face. Reminded me of my first experience with Jicky, heh. But I recalled reading something on here that said never to sniff immediately after spraying, so I left the store. Ten minutes later I came running back to buy a bottle.

Now, impressions six hours after:

-The Ravageur bit is gone, and I don't smell any musk.
    -It smells pretty much exactly the same as Shalimar (which I've only sniffed from a strip, not skin)
    -For something that's supposed to be "sexy" - so say many Basenoters - this is ridiculously tame.

Is there something wrong with my nose?

Default Re: Musc Ravageur

Quote Originally Posted by Esan Sal
    First blast is civet, civet, and more civet - like a civet cat had farted in my face.
    Ooohh...that's not good... *:P
    David and Becca forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Esan Sal
    ... Reminded me of my first experience with Jicky, heh... so I left the store. Ten minutes later I came running back to buy a bottle.

-It smells pretty much exactly the same as Shalimar (which I've only sniffed from a strip, not skin)
    -For something that's supposed to be "sexy" - so say many Basenoters - this is ridiculously tame.
    Reminding you of Shalimar and Jicky, but not sexy at all.... That agrees with my own ideas about MR. And I do not think we suffer from a similar nose defect. I have been enjoying that 'perfume' as one might call it, for a year now and never did believe it to be sexy - very sensual though. Often people seem to base their judgement on the first 30 minutes. Entirely wrong for colognes with hours of vivid presence!

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

This might be my favorite scent. I don't get any civet whatsoever. Just warm cinamon-spicy ambered vanillic musk with shimmering bergamot overtones. If you don't like this one, consider yourself lucky that you just save a whole bunch of dough.

I don't get any civet either.

I think MR is one of the most sexual fragrances out there. I LOVE it!!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Esan Sal link=1133368405/0#0 date=1133368405]... Reminded me of my first experience with Jicky, heh... so I left the store. Ten minutes later I came running back to buy a bottle.

Reminding you of Shalimar and Jicky, but not sexy at all.... *That agrees with my own ideas about MR. And I do not think we suffer from a similar nose defect. I have been enjoying that 'perfume' as one might call it, for a year now and never did believe it to be sexy - very sensual though. Often people seem to base their judgement on the first 30 minutes. Entirely wrong for colognes with hours of vivid presence!
    [/quote]

If MR isn't sexual, what is? haha any recommendations?

Is it just my candyskin at work again - sugaring up yet another scent - or do other men find MR to be almost too sweet for easy male use?

It's unisex so it should border the female-male boundaries of fragrances

Well, it may technically be a unisex fragrance, but honestly, there are few fragrances I've tried that are more "manly", to my nose anyway. And as far as sexiness goes, if I spray this on before going out to a club...then...hmm...how should I put it..."it's on!". ;D

Why So Serious?

Just last weekend, i went to my parents' house for dinner wearing Musc Ravageur. My mom asked me if i was wearing women's perfume, i said it was unisex. She really liked the smell, perhaps even more than i did. She demanded to have it, next day i gave her my big bottle of MR without thinking about it twice. To me, there's a musty sour note that i just hate, without that i really loved this fragrance. But for sure, i will live without MR, i'm not head over heels about it. Good thing i didn't wear Dzing! that night.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Nothng wrong with your nose and your skin either.

It`s just not for you.

I love to wear this sensual perfume. And it reminds me Shalimar a little by its sweet vanilla-musk-and maybe-bergamot part.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_S
    Is it just my candyskin at work again - sugaring up yet another scent - or do other men find MR to be almost too sweet for easy male use?
    ' Almost to sweet ' - that's it ! Just: 'too sweet' would sound overstated already.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I find Musc Ravageur 'strange': I don't like it's smell but I must say that I don't mind wearing it :

Man, cats have NO social skills. Farting in someone's face is just unforgivably bad form...LOL!

Musc Ravageur is "thick" smelling. There is alot of lavender and spice with the corporal musk, and though I do like it once in awhile, I find that I can only take it for a few hours. A full day in it starts to feel cloying and stale on me. I think I prefer a cleaner musk, somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by baron
    This might be my favorite scent. I don't get any civet whatsoever. Just warm cinamon-spicy ambered vanillic musk with shimmering bergamot overtones. If you don't like this one, consider yourself lucky that you just save a whole bunch of dough.
    Feeling the same here! I think MR is warm and sexy, sweet but spicy, and the bergamot gives to it a fresh twist that make it really wearable...
    But this is about it on my skin... Maybe on yours is dramatically different! It's up to your own skin chemistry.

That's funny apekrul; I then again LOVE the way it smells, but find it too sweet to wear all that often. And oh yeah, I think it's VERY sexy. MR is my second favourite musk after LV, which I think, is more wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    That's funny apekrul; I then again LOVE the way it smells, but find it too sweet to wear all that often. And oh yeah, I think it's VERY sexy. MR is my second favourite musk after LV, which I think, is more wearable.

I must agree on LV's Musk, it's superb!

I'm enjoying my sample of LV Musk. It is the first musk scent that has me thinking about buying a whole bottle.

Agree with those who have noted a stale note in the foundation of MR, although I do like the scent and plan to buy a small bottle. I don't get a civet note myself. A heated cinnamon is what I get from the top, soon to be joined by a metallic bergamot (an odd combination, but not unpleasant). Occasionally the cinnamon is reduced almost entirely and the bergamot completely overtakes the first hour of the scent, leaning the scent towards cool rather than warm. And then there's that musty effect. I have the LR musk and find a similar mustiness in it, although it is caused by a different combination of notes. In both, it reminds me of a muskiness found in closed-off apartments or museums, probably a human factor that has pervaded clothing and furnishings.

When MR decides to play the cinnamon note (instead of the steel one), I like it best.

I'm back.

It must have been the weather - my first testing had been inside a very well-ventilated and cool store, and it was probably there that the fragrance got to shine. My poor impression subsequently was a direct result of my having stepped out of the mall and into the 26 degree (celsius) heat. It's cooled down to a nice 16 degrees here in Hong Kong, so I whipped out the bottle for another test run, to be pleasantly surprised by little clouds of the same divine spicy cream wafting up from my wrists that drove me to drop the 125USD on a bottle.

I'm still not quite getting the "sex" bit of this fragrance, but my affection for her is quickly escalating with every moment we're spending together.