Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tropical, hot & humid friendly frags

Aloha! Another newbie to this fine community...I'm Dan from Hawaii (other Hawaiian Basenoters, please identify yourselves!). In a flurry of decant acqusitions, thanks scentemental, Vegas & Buffalo_Gal, as well as some recent Ebay purchases, my collection is starting to grow at an alarming rate. This comes to no surprise those who know me, having obsessive/compulsive tendencies. What really is getting me hooked, however, is the vast knowledge, humor and intelligence of you fine Basenoters which brings me to the point of this post. At the risk of being redundant, because I know that there are many references to "summer fragrances" and other miscellaneous mentions of hot weather frags, I couldn't find one specifically on that topic or to be even more specific, tropical weather frags for hot AND humid climates such as Hawaii. I understand that "green" and "aqua" type frags are mentioned. My fledgling collection seems to be dominated by gourmand type frags, which smell great to me but may not be particuarly ideal here. Do you have any recommendations for everyday wear? Mahalo!

Default Re: Tropical, hot & humid friendly frags

Parfums de Nicolai Eau d'Ete, which is available on Beauty Habit. It's a gorgeous unisex jasmine with citrus accords at the top. Light, fresh, non-suffocating and very aerated without being ozonic.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and Welcome to Basenotes,

You have no problem with your wardrobe--you have several in there that are great hot weather scents. *Of the ones I am familiar with, Aqua de Bulgari, GIT, Himalaya, Vetiver-Guerlain, and Lanvin L'Homme are excellent in the heat and humidity. *There are a few in your wardrobe that I am not familiar with so you may even have more. *Lanvin L'Homme is tied with Live Jazz as my top choice in the heat and humidity. *

If you would like to try some more, you might try some citrus: *L'Eau par Kenzo, *Monsieur Balmain, The Acqua de Parma's.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to basenotes!

I second Bvlgari Aqva and Guerlain Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fresno & foetidus! So I take it that aside from "light" frags, those with citrus notes tend to work best in humidity? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Banzaiburger
    Thanks Fresno & foetidus! *So I take it that aside from "light" frags, those with citrus notes tend to work best in humidity? *Thanks again.
    You're welcome--anytime.

The "citrus" citruses are great for hot humid weather. *But many scents use citrus in the topnotes and then move to another kind of note, so one should judge by the total movement of the scent and not by simply the topnotes.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

These are pretty good i think:

Polo Blue
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    Creed MI
    Bond 9 Wall Street
    Clinique Happy
    Aqua Motu
    Mugler Cologne
    Gendarme
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Banzaiburger!
    I'm in Hawaii too and wear alot of the same fragrances you do. HM and GIT work fine here don't they? Not everything has to be just citrus to work in our climate. It would drive me crazy if I thought I had to limit what fragrance group I wore so I could only smell like lemons all the time.
    You may want to check out Creed Erolfa and Imperial. Both gorgeous and evocative of the sea.
    Another I love is Lauder's Beyond Paradise for Men. It is a crappy name and comes in a silly bottle, but the juice is wonderfully "wet" and "green" with a sandalwood base.
    If you'd like to lighten it up a bit, all of the Gendarmes (original,V,20) are pretty good too.
    And if you'd like to wear something "citrus": Eau Sauvage, L'eau d'Hadrien, and Signoricci are all fine and dandy and most importantly, they hold up in the heat.

And oh yeah, welcome to Basenotes!
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Aloha-
    Mmmm.... burger.... :

I would definitely lean towards traditional "colognes" and citruses on the modern end:

"Colognes"
    -------------
    Caswell Massey #6
    4711 or Eau de Cologne Imperiale (or possibly Eau du Coq, even though I have never tried it)
    Thierry Mugler - Cologne
    Cologne Nature - Parfums de Nicolai

"Citruses"
    ------------
    Tabac Original
    YSL Pour Homme (In this case, I would suggest against YSL PH Haute Concentrate even though I vastly prefer it)
    Eau Sauvage (definitely not Eau Sauvage Extreme)
    Guerlain Vetiver (more of a citrus than vetiver, often discussed on the boards)
    Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    Live Jazz
    Borsari Parma - Acqua Classica

Any Bay Rum, but Royall Bay Rum is pretty good. Duration is iffy though.

Some other ones I've heard mentioned in this context on the boards are: Aqua Motu and Aramis - Bermuda Tonic. I haven't tried Aqua Motu, but the Bermuda Tonic was gone quickly from my skin. I would suggest Helan - Vetiver & Rum if you were going along the "tropical" line.

Something which sits close to your skin but has duration might also work nicely as well:
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Equipage or Monsieur Galimard
    Molinard Homme I
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood
    Lacoste Original

K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Banzai Burger. *1/2 lb patty marinated in Teriyaki sauce and char-broiled. *Cheddar cheese. *A three set (mayo, lettuce, tomatoes). *Grilled pineapple rings. *More Teriyaki sauce. *
    Huh? *Oh sorry. *Flashback to when I worked at Red Robin. *Do they have those in Hawaii? *

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

And for some reason, when I think hot, tropical weather -- I think: *Havana by Aramis. *Groovy groovy groovy!

I agree with Bvlgari Aqva and CSP Motu. Another good one is Herrera Aqua.

And for a more unique take on the fresh theme,i suggest you try Diptyque's Philosykos and Dali's Laguna PH.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, I think a well-made sandalwood fragrance
    such as Diptyque's Tam Dao would work well if the application
    is not too heavy.

If you don't go for sandalwoods, try top-of-the-line citruses like
    Acqua di Parma Colonia, Annick Goutal's Eau d'Hadrien, or even
    a traditional cologne formula like Cologne Sologne by Parfums di Nicolai
    will work great.

I happen to think Annick Goutal's Duel, with it's mate tea smell, works
    well in the heat, but it's an unusual fragrance -- sample first.

Finally, with the talk here of vetivers, check out Baladin by Parfums di Nicolai.
    It's a pleasant blend of leather and vetiver, distinctly easier to wear and more modern
    than Guerlain's Habit Rouge, and quite unique. A soothing fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy

I happen to think Annick Goutal's Duel, with it's mate tea smell, works
    well in the heat, but it's an unusual fragrance -- sample first.
    A non-obvious choice, but a great call!

For my money the ultimate tropical, hot & humid friendly fragrance is *Live Jazz*. The heat and humidity just seem to bring out more dimensions to this great fragrance.

The following list of fragrances has been road tested in Texas heat and humidity over the years and all the fragrances on it have come through with flying colors for wearability as "Tropical, hot & humid friendly frags":

Acqua di Giò Pour Homme
    Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Booster
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Extrême
    CdG Peppermint
    Citron Citron EDT
    Eau de Cartier
    Eau de Hadrien
    Eau de Rochas
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme
    Element of Surprise
    Gendarme
    Gendarme 20
    Gendarme V
    Habit Rouge EDC
    Hadrien Absolu EDP
    Jazz
    M7 Fresh
    Marc Jacobs for Men
    Mare
    Mark Birley for Men
    Monsieur Balmain
    Musc de Java
    Philosykos
    Signorrici
    Silver Mountain Water EDP
    Un Jardin En Méditerranée
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration

A big Basenotes welcome to you Banzaiburger.

Best regards,

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

The following list of fragrances has been road tested in Texas humidity over the years and all the fragrances on it have come through with flying colors for wearability as "Tropical, hot & humid friendly frags":

Acqua di Giò Pour Homme
    Aqua Allegoria Mentafollia
    Armani Eau Pour Homme
    Booster
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Pour Homme Extrême
    CdG Peppermint
    Citron Citron EDT
    Eau de Cartier
    Eau de Hadrien
    Eau de Rochas
    Eau de Rochas Pour Homme
    Element of Surprise
    Gendarme
    Gendarme 20
    Gendarme V
    Habit Rouge EDC
    Hadrien Absolu EDP
    Jazz
    M7 Fresh
    Marc Jacobs for Men
    Mare
    Mark Birley for Men
    Monsieur Balmain
    Musc de Java
    Philosykos
    Signorrici
    Silver Mountain Water EDP
    Un Jardin En Méditerranée
    Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentration

C'mon, scentimental, is that all you can come up with? ;D
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Aloha, and welcome a board!

I always believe that light and citrus-aquatic frags work well in hot&humid places.

But one day I recommend to my friend to take a decant of Serge Lutens to her sea-shore vacations. And her reply was wheewww! But she took the decant with her. As her others light and fresh bottles.

And her report was - Excellent Choice!
    Serge Lutens keeps on her skin over 6 hours when others like Cologne TM and so on just gone away!!!

I think that SL frags were made not for Scandinavian weather - but for Maroccan deserts and sea-shores... So they are just as good as they can in hot & humid weather, just like on Hawaii...

As I recall - it was Arabie or Vetiver Oriental by SL.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

My votes from my limited knowledge.
    YSL Live Jazz
    Muglar Cologne
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Guerlain Vetiver actually smells fantastic when worn in hot weather, like some sunny morning, but it could be a bit 'older man-like'. Live Jazz is my aqua di gio substitute because its more interesting and also not as common. Muglar cologne is unisex.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try Trussardi Jeans for men.It smells like a tropical fruit-punch.And it seems to be more unusual than almost ANY niche scent suggested here (well,probably for a reason ;D )
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Post Thanks / Like

Laguna Homme works great in hot and humid weather even though it's a strong vanilla fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot guys for the great suggestions! I'm definitely taking them under serious advisement. In fact, I couldn't resist trying out that 10% off PayPal coupon and bought a 100ml of Clinique Happy on Ebay for around $15 (converted from British pounds) including shipping. I'm fairly sure I'm going to have to start learning to decant soon. No Coleman, we have no Red Robins here, but that burger is what my S/N is based on (long and boring story).

Try Paris Hilton for men, they will not close their legs

Off-Scenter

When things get hot and humid, I avoid the sweeter orientals and turn to green scents, light, unisex florals, citrus-aquatics, and dry woods.

Among green scents, both Baime (mediterranean herbs) and Yerbamate (lightly smoked tea and mate) work well in the heat.

Among the florals men can wear easily in the tropics, I'd include three from Frederic Malle: Lys Mediterranee, Iris Poudre, and En Passant. (If you're feeling really, really daring you could try Carnal Flower as well.) There's also Dia (floral-incense-light leather), if you're willing to shell out for a decant.

Of the aquatics, Mare, Erolfa, Silver Mountain Water, and Millesime Imperial have all been mentioned, and all are great for the tropics. Mare is particularly light and refreshing in the heat. Among the hot weatehr citrus scents I like Eau du Sud and the very underrated Iskander. Bahiana is a great tropical fruit and wood combo from Maitre Parfumear et Gantier, oddly neglected by Basenotes reviewers.

Trumpet_guy mentioned Tam Dao, and I second that, along with Santal Noble (evening only), Philosykos, and believe it or not, Dzongkha!

Keep sampling, just keep sampling...

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Tropical, hot & humid friendly frags

Havana for Men

Havana Reserva

Montana Parfum d'Homme

All three of these magnificent male adornments are now either no longer produced (Montana Parfum d'Homme, Havana Reserva) or not sold regular retail in North America (Havana for Men)

I am wearing Montana Parfum d'Homme right now, I gotta tell ya that this is close to perfection for me as far as male scents go. 3 sprays this AM and still wafting up to my eager nose from under my shirt like rare olfactory Ambrosia at 7:30 PM. I could smell this juice 24/7. Wonderful stuff!..and mid 80's here today also so sort of a warm weather test the Montana gets an A+ on.

I have worn the wonderful Havana for Men and Havana Reserva in 90+, high humidity weather and loved them both. These two USED to be available from Basenoters in decant form (wink wink) and the fabulous Montana Parfum d'Homme can be had for the absolutely ridiculously low price of under $25 for a 4.2oz spray bottle. Be SURE to get the Original 1989 invention, the RED box. Nothing else is even remotely like it! This has to be the steal of the year in fragrances IMO.
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time