Code of Conduct

Default You DON'T smell it, but Others thinks its STRONG

I don't know about you guys, but, it seems like for some colognes, I can only REALLY smell it for the first 5 minutes on my skin. Then it recededs into a gentle scent that I can only notice when I bring my wrist to my nose. But the thing is, other people around me thinks I smell WAYY too strong and sprayed more than enough. That goes for my newly purchased bottle of Creed Himalaya, Dior Homme, and Black Code, to name a few

Yet, for some other fragrances, i KNOW exactly what I smell like to others during the first 1 hour or so and can note the amout of sillage i'm generating. That goes particularly for Gucci Envy / pour homme, Chanel Allure / Egotiste, Vetiver Guerlain, and Baldessarini Del mar.

Is it just me or does some fragrances "dissappear" from your senses faster than others?!?!?!

Default Re: You DON'T smell it, but Others thinks its STRO

Completely true. *I get all anosmicky and whatnot with some frags and not others. *Why this is? *Beats the sh** out of me. *
    Eternity is probably the premier offender in this category. *I've often wondered if that's why every guy you smell wearing Eternity ** R *E *E *K *S * *of it. *He can't smell it on himself so he reapplies, and reapplies, and reapplies, and... blech! *People across the street are going, dude! *Enough with the Eternity!

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    Enough with the Eternity!

Ha! that phrasing made me chuckle!

Eternity is a long time, specially towards the end.

(not speaking in any way about the fragrance here, simply making word games :P)

To stay on topic: A couple of my scents play this trick on me. treacherous little devils. What I do is always ask my dad: "Do I smell too much?"

I have a lighter hand now that I carry small 10ml roll-on bottles of my SOTD. I can re-apply another small amount if I need to. I suggest this approach!

*He can't smell it on himself so he reapplies, and reapplies, and reapplies, and... blech! *People across the street are going, dude! *Enough with the Eternity!
    Yah totally! The same goes for women as well. I had this teacher in elementary school who would literally bath in Chanel no.5 and the scent would linger in the room for hours and hours....

Completely true. *I get all anosmicky and whatnot with some frags and not others. *Why this is? *Beats the sh** out of me. *
    Eternity is probably the premier offender in this category. *I've often wondered if that's why every guy you smell wearing Eternity ** R *E *E *K *S * *of it. *He can't smell it on himself so he reapplies, and reapplies, and reapplies, and... blech! *People across the street are going, dude! *Enough with the Eternity!

A better assessment of Eternity I have never read! ;D :exclamation
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

I think the scent receptors in our noses just get oversaturated with fragrances molecules so we don't smell it anymore. I'm sure certain scented chemicals get detached from the receptors quicker so we can smell it more often or for longer amounts of time.

I'm sure certain scented molecules bind to the receptors better than others or we may detect certain molecules better - this may be linked to our perception of sillage and longevity.

Your brain tunes it out so that it's not overstimulated. Same reason goes for when you first put on a sweater... you feel it initially, but then it "settles" and you barely notice you're wearing it. Otherwise, it would drive you nuts when it keeps overwhelming you.

It's just very basic physiology.
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

L'instant de Guerlain pour Homme EDT. It's not the olfactory fatigue thing. It's something to do with the frag's projection. It projects a certain distance from the spot it was sprayed on. So if I lean forward quickly, I'll get a whiff of it. Weird... : Oh, and it lasts for up to 2 days after showers in between... I'm really curious to know what will the EDP version do on me :

One trick I've found to fix this is either get EDP when at all possible (duh), or to apply a quick spritz to your wrists. When you find a need to "smell yourself" just catch a whiff of your wrist! I think another reason we rarely smell ourselves after a while is we can't really smell our neck (or at least that's where I apply most of the time) so we assume that the scent is gone.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Takeshi:

I believe I ran into the general phenomenon you are describing on the one occasion when I tried wearing Shiseido's Feminitè du Bois. At first I thought I smelled something marvelous, but then it seemed to nearly vanish, so I spritzed on a bit more, which I could not smell very clearly either. Six hours later, I walked into my house and my wife promptly pitched a fit, claiming that I had about knocked her down with stink when I walked through the door. I wondered at the time, if it was possible to have some kind of selective anosmia that might prevent only some smell to be perceived clearly.

Months later, I walked into the suite where I work and distinctly (but not powerfully) caught a whif of Feminitè du Bois. Wandering inocently about on a variety of pretexts, I soon identified the source of the aroma as a newly arrived female graduate student from France, whom I promptly complimented on her splendid taste in fragrance.

As the day progressed, I had to leave the office several times (to teach, etc.), and every time I returned the perfume seemed stronger - to the point where I began to wonder whether some of the other denizens of the place might be beginning to get too much of a good thing. FdB was starting to seem like some kind of a sillage monster, slowly expanding to fill all the available space.

In retrospect, I now think that high-sillage fragrances make it easier to develop olfactory fatigue - to become habituated. After all, they don't hide down in your shirt or up your sleeves, but explode right out of all confinement, steeping your head in a cloud of perfume until your sense of smells defends itself by blocking out that particular aroma.

In any event, I am more than a little disappointed that I have so much trouble smelling this fragrance when I wear it. It's wonderful stuff, and a number of professional perfumers seem to have great admiration for it, as well as Luca Turin.

This happens with Casran......it's ok i guess....