Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How long does cologne last before it expires?

Don't believe the 2-3 years max bullshit

Bottles last a lot longer than that, if you take care of them.

5-10+ years in a "normal setting"

50 to 100+ in an ideal setting

I'm going to have to invest in some sort of cologne cabinet. As of now, they are stored in the closet with the doors shut.

i have few bottles from the 70's that are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by eMCizzle View Post
    Hmm, I always wondered this... I still have fragrances from my high school/early college days. My A*Men juice now looks pulpy and it's green (it's normally blue correct?); my L'Occitane Miel Y Citron hasn't changed colors but has gotten pulpy as well. I don't think the way they smell have changed, but I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what that means?
    Wow! That's crazy! Did you store it in ideal settings? I had a bottle of Chrome by Azzaro that I placed in the fridge but I would also leave out at times and carry with me in my luggage when I traveled to college. I also wouldn't leave it in it's box so it was exposed to different temperatures as well as different forms of light. Eventually, the oils separated from the alcohol and it appeared pulpy just like you stated. It still smelled the same but the top notes were compromised a bit. Were your bottles exposed to the same experience as mine?

I have a bottle of Platinum Egoiste with cca 10/100ml left, made in 2006, and it's much stronger and it last more than the one i bought recently, that was made in 2012.
    I made a test - i sprayed 2006 on my right hand and 2012 on my left hand...the difference is so big, as i said the 2006 is a projection monster compared to the 2012, also the 2006 seems more richer and denser. I got cca 10 hours from 2006, and only 4-5 hours from 2012.
    Is this possible??? I kept mine bottle from 2006 in it's box in a drawer.
    But still it's 7 years older than the new one-watered down.

yes it's possible. it's called reformulation and unfortunately it happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Don't believe the 2-3 years max bullshit

Bottles last a lot longer than that, if you take care of them.

5-10+ years in a "normal setting"

50 to 100+ in an ideal setting
    does it matter if the fragrance bottle are full (unused) or if they are used frequently, in terms of their lifespan? i keep them in a dark place, away from temp. and light, but some are not full, i use them on special occasions.

for example i have 100ml of 125ml bottle from escada pour homme, the bottle is made in 2009...if i keep it in the original box and away from light and temp. how long can it last?

treeman5823

Fragrance should last for a good century given proper storage.

Blog Entries

I only had one 'go bad' that is b/c I knew nothing about storing it, and kept it in a sunny, hot, humid bathroom on the counter. after several years, the top notes completely disappeared. I still wear it (Hugo Boss Original) but it goes right to the base notes when sprayed on.
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Cool

Stick em in the freezer ;-)

Reviving an old thread with my two cents:

Like many of us, I've accumulated quite a collection in the past years. I think I began in high school, around 1999. Most of my remaining purchases from that era smell (to the best of my knowledge) identical to the way they did when I first bought them. Mind you, this is *without* any special care methods, aside from merely storing them in a dark drawer.

On the other hand, I have had a few scents from that same naive period that have either become less pleasant over time, or perhaps were never to my liking to begin with (Chrome still smells metallic to me [as it would, I suppose], and Lucky You for Men [which probably never smelled great]). I am inclined to think that I never really liked these scents anyway, rather than that they "turned."

So, in conclusion...I think simply storing your fragrances in a cool, dark place is more than sufficient for most products. I will also add that I don't own niche fragrances--all of mine are designers, so I imagine they are stabilized in some way for long-term viability. But in any event, all of this chatter about 3 year shelf-life seems paranoid to me, and doesn't reflect my experience.

If you have the money and space for a small wine cooler, I do believe that it might provide some marginal benefit if the thermostat is set at a relatively low (i.e. cool, but not cold) setting. But you should be able to gain long term shelf life of your fragrances without that investment.

Stored in a cool dark place, your fragrances should last as long as this thread.

... Or even much longer!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

So - what's "cool"? Room temperature? Fridge? (I have a wine fridge that could do the trick, but I'd have to start drinking a lot of wine!)

Ok i just got a 1 oz bottle of Michael jordan cologne and it doesent smell like my mini one i got at walmart? It smells weaker, do i have to give it time for it to mature? Or do you think its in old batch?
    Top 5

1. Givenchy Play Intense by Givenchy

2. Invasion Barbare by MDCI

3. Green Irish Tweed by Creed

4. Rive Gauche Pour Homme by YSL

5. Gendarme

6. Jazz Prestige by YSL

Following up on the thread. Cant seem to find the info pertaining to cold temperatures. I am well aware that direct sunlight and heat are both hamful to fragrances, but what about freezing cold?
    I occasionally leave stuff in the car for prolonged periods of time and it gets down to freezing temps at night. I also know that the alcohol element will be fine, what about the parfum element?
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Following up on the thread. Cant seem to find the info pertaining to cold temperatures. I am well aware that direct sunlight and heat are both hamful to fragrances, but what about freezing cold?
    I occasionally leave stuff in the car for prolonged periods of time and it gets down to freezing temps at night. I also know that the alcohol element will be fine, what about the parfum element?
    I guess if they send fragrances by air mail around the world they are much colder up high then in your car.

Your bottles should be fine.

The general rule seems to be 3-5 years.

But do Eau de Parfums last longer than Eau de Toilettes?