Code of Conduct

Default Basic question about Vetiver

What is it???

I've looked it up, but I still don't know what the big deal about it is?

It must be an awesome scent since everyone here seems to love Guerlain Vetiver and other vetiver products.

If I spray some Guerlain Vetiver, how will I be able to identify it?

If it's that great of a scent then why doesn't every fragrance have vetiver in it?

naive question from naive consumer...

Thanks!

Default Re: Basic question about Vetiver

WHOA!
    depending on how much and what its combined with...Vetiver can be beautiful OR
    DISGUSTING!

It just depends...Some folks have differing opinions.....Like me for instance...
    I cannot take Route de Vetiver by MPG....but I like the Guerlain and the Creed OV...but the Creed Vetiver (1948) gives me a headache...
    The moral is....It just depends....sorry. *:

I'm sure someone else will be able to pipe in and give a better response.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cologneprince
    What is it???

It must be an awesome scent since everyone here seems to love Guerlain Vetiver and other vetiver products.

If it's that great of a scent then why doesn't every fragrance have vetiver in it?

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to Basenotes!

Just to make things clear: are you asking about vetiver in general or Guerlain's Vetiver in particular?

I'm not a big vetiver-fan because it tends to smell too soapy. But they're mostly not as offensive a some of the musk-based scents so it's actually a pretty safe category.

Vetiver (Vetiveria zizanoides) is a clump-forming grass up to 2 meters in height with roots that can penetrate to 3 meters deep. Vetiver is closely related to other fragrant grasses such as Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon citratus) and Palmarosa (Cymbopogon martinii). Vetiver is most easily propagated vegetatively due to the fact that most cultivars produce limited amounts of viable seed while others do not flower at all. Vetiver is a long-lived perennial and can survive up to 50 years or more.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetiver - Definition in context

Vetiver is a tall, dense, wild grass with long narrow leaves and a strand of underground white, yellow and brown roots. It is sought after for its calming, protective, soothing and uplifting characteristics. It can be found in Java, Haiti, Japan, Indonesia and South India. Vetiver is used for its antiseptic, sedative, stimulant and tonic properties. Vetiver’s essential oil is extracted by steam distillation from its roots. Vetiver essential oil’s aroma has a smoky woody scent. It is often blended with geranium, jasmine, lavender and rosewood.

Vetiver has been used throughout his in many different cultures for many different reasons from its healing abilities to ceremonies. In India and Sri Lanka it is known as the oil of tranquility. Vetiver was also used to make shade awnings and fans. Vetiver oil was used to anoint brides to bless them before entering marriage. In Ayurveda the root and essential oil are used for heatstroke, fevers, and headaches. Russians used vetiver in sachets attached to the lining of their coats to help in retaining warmth. It was used in perfumes with rosewood and lime in the middle ages. It was also grown to prevent soil erosion in India. The grass was also used to make woven baskets, rugs and parts of the house in Africa.

In today’s aromatherapy vetiver has many uses. It is used for an insect repellant which it is excellent for. Vetiver it used to strengthen the red blood cells and promotes oxygen throughout the body. Vetiver is often used to alleviate the symptoms of rheumatism, arthritis and muscular aches such as muscle pain, sprains, and joint and muscle stiffness. It also aids the reproductive system; it is used to promote fertilization of the female egg. Vetiver is also useful for the skin, it can be used to alleviate the inflammation of acne, aids in healing of cuts, and it reduces oil in the skin.

Vetiver is not toxic and nonirritant it is great for the skin for sensitive and older skin.

source : essortment - http://tntn.essortment.com/whatisvetiver_rtco.htm

I'll leave the others to help you out with brand recommendations, I favour the Annick Goutal, Serge Lutens & Guerlain versions.
    Let your nose be your pilot

It is indeed a grass, but it's more commonly known as the fermented ingredient in gin.

Has no idea about gin with vetiver... I think Gin is made with blue berries of ... oh, I forgot the name of this shrub... it gives cade oil... genievre? ah, forget it..

Now to vetiver note.
    Sorry, no big deal about it.
    It`s just a perfume note. Deep, long-lasting (heart or base note), green and brown, smoky-earthy and intoxicating for vetiver-lovers. It is different from citrus or lavender.
    Better to find vetiver oil and try it.
    It`s cheaper than Guerlain Vetiver - and has some aromatherapy properties.
    Or you can throw it away.

As with every note - some people loves it, and some hates. I do love vetiver and hate rose. Maybe you are in contrary.

But I never will wish to make every cologne vetiver based.
    It`s like a honey. It`s yammy - but nobody makes all dishes like meat, sausages, squids or pizza with it...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

...juniper...

Quote Originally Posted by cologneprince
    A lot of fragrances indeed contain Vétiver on them even if they do not specify that. Besides its olfactory properties it is commonly used as a powerful fixative.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I usually like vetiver in men's scents. I'm more picky about it in frags on my skin as it can be too macho for me in some compositions. I would say that it's appealing because it has this quality of seeming clean and crisp, yet dry and earthlike at the same time. Sexy in a way that's not trying too hard or smells like you've been sanitized rather than cologned. There IS such a thing as "too fresh" where men's scents are concerned....I don't enjoy a man smelling like a urinal cake. Sorry, too honest....haha

There has been a very complete evaluation of vetiver based frags by Jeff H.

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1126588391

Vetiver is a wonderful note in perfumery. It’s an earthy, slightly smoky, and almost woody note. Every vetiver interpretation plays on different olfactory facets and themes, so every vetiver based fragrance is a bit different.

The recent reformulation of Guerlains Vetiver isn’t as vetiver dominant as the original; in fact, the new Guerlain Vetiver feels more like “Guerlains Citrus with a Hint of Vetiver” It probably isn’t the best fragrance to smell if you want to experience vetiver in its purist form.

Vetiver is a wonderful note, but it doesn’t have a place in every fragrance. Diversity is, of course, the spice of life, and it also makes fragrance collecting all the more interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul

I'm not a big vetiver-fan because it tends to smell too soapy.
    I never get a the soapy scent from vetiver! Some Vetiver colognes smell soapy, Creed OV and Carvin (I think?), for example, but I think that's due to other notes. But I don't think Vetiver itself smells soapy.

I get more of a dry woody, slightly smokey, earthy smell. I have a vile of vetiver oil at home that I haven't smelled in a long time, I'm going to smell it tonight to see if I get the soapy note.

Post Thanks / Like

Aromatherapy Properties: Deeply relaxing and comforting. Helps to find peace of mind and accept life's challenges. Wonderful aphrodisiac, and a great masking agent for unpleasant aromas. Due to its remarkable staying power, Vetiver is also a great fixative ingredient (a fixative is a substance that binds other compounds, slowing down their evaporation and thereby making their fragrance last longer).

Suggested Use: Some people like to carry this wonderful Vetiver Oil with them wherever they go, because they enjoy the scent a lot and it "grounds" them when they are trying to do too many things at the same time. It is a real comfort oil!

Blends Well With: Everything in need of a smooth and lingering base note; especially Citrus, the aphrodisiac oils (Rose, Jasmine, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Cinnamon, Clary Sage;

History: In India and Sri Lanka this oil is known as the "oil of tranquility". It is derived from the roots of a grass, whose upper parts are woven into aromatic matting. Sometimes spelled Vetivert.

Hi,

I am normaly not a fan of vetiiver until one makes you change all those old ideas that you hated vetiver !!!

They all are different and there is probably one for everybody - I personaly think vetiver to be for evening and winter.

laurent
    Invisible Power

Post Thanks / Like

I find vetiver scents more appropriate for summer

Well I just tried Guerlain Vetiver for the first time yesterday! *Blind buy. *125ml EdT. *Got it off Ebay for like $23.95, I think it was. *And I have to say: *niiiiiiiiiice. *I get it. *Very much this-is-the-essence-of-a-man kind of a thing. *Leathery and soapy. *My introduction to "straight vetiver" has gone well for me!
    Now I'm going to have to seek out the vintage juice and give that a twirl as well...

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    [quote author=cologneprince link=1133258351/0#0 date=1133258351]What is it???

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to Basenotes!

Just to make things clear: are you asking about vetiver in general or Guerlain's Vetiver in particular?

I'm not a big vetiver-fan because it tends to smell too soapy. But they're mostly not as offensive a some of the musk-based scents so it's actually a pretty safe category.[/quote]

Both.

Also when people say Guerlain vetiver, do they mean the new one or the old one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    ...juniper...
    Thank you, Dante!

About new and old Guerlain.
    Elder people and vetiver devoted ones will tell you that old scent was better. It was full of vetiver, dark and weighty, more tobacco and even something musk-smeling from the beginning. Gentleman, with potential energy!
    New Vetiver is all about brightness and moving energy, more sparkling citrus, maybe more iris\soapy notes, less vetiver. It`s the young heir in his 20-something of that Gentleman...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The difference between new and old Guerlain Vetiver
    (aside from the color of the juice and the shape of the bottle)
    is subtle, in my opinion. Others on this board disagree with
    that assessment quite sharply.

Either one is fine to me, but I confess I'd just as soon
    they didn't change it at all. [They claim not to have changedit, though, right?]