Code of Conduct

Default Chaps Ralph Lauren...the good, the bad, the ugly

I like to hear all the comments here on this one......
    A very powdery leathery scent...

Default Re: Chaps Ralph Lauren...the good, the bad, the ug

I believe I tried this at a Meijer's store a while back. (Wasnt even in a case just setting out with all of the BOD and Coty stuff.) If I remember correctly, I didnt give this cologne much time and just rushed to wash off it's harsh cheap leathery stench.

I don't think it is so bad. When I've tested it (from the cheap bin at discount stores) it has always reminded me of an indelicate rendering of Creed's vintage Tabarome.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I didn't think it was that bad either. I gave the aftershave a try and actually got some compliments from time to time. It is just an okay fragrance to me.

To me it's an old style spicy oriental - by old style, meaning I can wear it to work without anyone thinking I must be going out partying afterwards. Such orientals include KL Homme, Equipage, Diesel Zero Plus and they are not very popular in this board, despite their being far more versatile than the newer ones.

I think Chaps is fabulous value - it's always going dirt cheap down here.
    Renato

I can't help but comment on this one. After all, this was my first designer fragrance puchase some 17 or so years ago!! I liked it back then and still do, though I haven't worn any of it for the past seven years or so!! Granted, it's not a complex or ground-breaking scent....but look at the average selling prices!! I may have to splurge the couple bucks or so just to take a trip down memory lane!!!

Default Re: Chaps Ralph Lauren...the good, the bad, the ugly

So this is an old bump because I really want to know what people think. I forgot about this until I saw it at TJMaxx for $5.99. Is this a yardwork, weekend cologne for some still?Is it "trash" because of price, sales areas, etc?It just got me thinking. I used to think it smelled good 20 years ago.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st August 2008 at 03:38 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

It might smell good to some. But unlike lots of others that sell for cheap, Chaps *is* cheap- not just in price.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    So this is an old bump because I really want to know what people think. I forgot about this until I saw it at TJMaxx for $5.99. Is this a yardwork, weekend cologne for some still?Is it "trash" because of price, sales areas, etc?It just got me thinking. I used to think it smelled good 20 years ago.
    First of all, it's worth the $6 to try (I also bought at Marshalls recently). Chaps is not for the faint of heart, or for those who only enjoy light, fresh scents. If you like Polo (original), you'll like Chaps. If you don't like Polo, you'll hate Chaps. It's discordant and pungent at first, but if you give it about 30 minutes a powdery, leather/herbal accord takes over.

Truly an 80s powerhouse.

BTW, there is a 'new' Chaps, exclusive to Ross department stores, that is modern and really not bad at all. It's similar to John Varvatos and Ed Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    First of all, it's worth the $6 to try (I also bought at Marshalls recently). Chaps is not for the faint of heart, or for those who only enjoy light, fresh scents. If you like Polo (original), you'll like Chaps. If you don't like Polo, you'll hate Chaps. It's discordant and pungent at first, but if you give it about 30 minutes a powdery, leather/herbal accord takes over.

Truly an 80s powerhouse.

BTW, there is a 'new' Chaps, exclusive to Ross department stores, that is modern and really not bad at all. It's similar to John Varvatos and Ed Hardy.
    Wow, that is good to hear.

I'm not sure if I'll buy it for fun...I did love Polo when young....bu tI just hadn't seen it in so long and it reminded me of a weekend, at home scent. Good to hear you went for it and tried.

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    It might smell good to some. But unlike lots of others that sell for cheap, Chaps *is* cheap- not just in price.
    OK, we got a split.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 1st August 2008 at 04:12 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Leather scents have become my favorite fragrance category.

Chaps, to me, is well above the average leather in my collection. It is not my favorite, but it is a solid fragrance - probably 70th percentile.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Amazing how a scent such as Chaps - which was one of the FIFI male fragrance stars of the year in 1980, can suffer such a dramatic fall from grace. On a board such as this, there is less than a hand full who are willing to say that it's good, and in any discussion of leathery scents it rarely, if ever, rates a mention.

By way of contrast, the 1979 FIFI fragrance star, Polo, and the 1982 fragrance star, Kouros, are still doing very well - both in sales and in discussion here.
    Renato