Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Scents For All The Girls & Boys...

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer in the search thread.

Yesterday I did my first 'counter' crawling (yes it is similar to kerb crawling) in years and failed miserably to pick up any good 'tricks'. * *However I did get to sniff the new(?) L'Interdit by Guerlain. Absolutely despised the flowery banality of the ladies version (maybe it will appeal in the spring & summer) but adored and preferred the men's version which reminded me of a softer M7 by YSL. Yet it was still spicier and woodsier than Nu, the females version. *The same thing happened when I smelt the Opium range - the men's EDT appealed & worked better with my chemistry than the females.

So I am here to ask all you very nice well 'smelt' men which EDT for men are great for the girls as well?

I am have a strong personal preference for woody chypre and / or smoky incensy scents and would appreciate some suggestions of male EDT's / EDP's which I could wear comfortably without smelling like I've been playing with Dad's cologne.

Here are some (male) scents I currently wear well:

Christian Dior Eau Sauvage (Gorgeous but doesn't last )
    FM Musc Ravageur
    FM Noir Epices
    Guerlain Equipage
    Body Shop Javari (better / cheaper version of JPG pour homme le Male)
    Crown Perfumery Eau de Quinine (love this - pure G&T with a slice & ice - yum!)
    Crown Perfumery Crown Imperial
    Crown Perfumery Town & Country
    Diesel Zero Plus Masculine
    Liz Clairbourne for Men
    Maxim's pour Homme (soft incense great at this time of year)
    Guerlain Winter Delice (unisex considered very masculine *:-?)
    Givenchy Pi (great gourmand vanilla but sometimes too 'woodsy')
    YSL M7
    YSL Opium pour Homme

Men's EDT / EDP I am desperate to try / own are:

Kenzo Jungle pour Homme
    Must de Cartier Homme
    Tiffany for Men
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    CD Eau Sauvage Extreme
    Chanel Allure pour Homme (hopefully less insipid then the female version)
    Chopard Heaven
    Aramis Havanna
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Chanel Egoiste (total sandalwood)
    Guerlain Heritage
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme (to wear layered over TBS Woody Sandalwood or Vanilla perfume oil)
    Moschino pour Homme
    Givenchy Insense

Can anyone recommend / confirm any of these (or other scents) as good for women to try?

Thank you in advance
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Default Re: Scents For All The Girls & Boys...

My Vote for Ultimate Unisex goes to...

Millesime Imperial

IMO....it smells GREAT on both my wife and I. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    My Vote for Ultimate Unisex goes to...

Millesime Imperial

IMO....it smells GREAT on both my wife and I. *;D
    Thats what I was just about to suggest, Love Millesime Imperial, I also think Green Irish Tweed can be worn by men and women.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Blog Entries

Thank you so much for your swift replies! ;D

However, please do not be constrained here by the label 'unisex' and feel free to suggest anything gorgeous that so far has been labelled 'just for men' :P

I should also make it clear that I usually loathe ozonic / aquatic 'by the seashore' notes in perfumes of any kind. I may enjoy cool water for men on men but the female version is plain old cheap bottled trailer trash. >

This is why I am uninterested in other male main stream aquatic / ozonic successes such as L'Eau D'Issey or Dune for men.

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

I see you already have Musc Ravageur - to me that is the ultimate as far as having no obvious gender and smelling great on everybody.

You have Egoiste on your to-try list. I think that one is perfect for men or women - a beautiful boozy, woodsy oriental. Some others to consider would be Chergui from Serge Lutens and Tam Dao from Dyptique.

Funny that you have Must de Cartier Homme on your list because I was thinking of testing out the women's version because I see Must Homme a a scent with potential but is unsatisfying.

Of those on your list the one's I would recommend for you to try are:
    * * * * Guerlain Vetiver
    * * * * Givenchy Insense
    * * * * Allure Homme
    * * * * Egoiste
    Additional recommendations for testing are:
    * * * * Body Kouros
    * * * * Habit Rouge
    * * * * Jako
    * * * * Coriolan

Oh, and two uni's I would recommend are Bulgari Black and Molinard Les Sentuers Patchouli

Explorator Dumpsterorum

You might like to add a Caron to your wardrobe, if only to create a dresser-top shrine to "classy." 8-)

One that fits your topic perfectly would be Pour un Homme.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    [color=#0000cc][size=12]Funny that you have Must de Cartier Homme on your list because I was thinking of testing out the women's version because I see Must Homme a a scent with potential but is unsatisfying.
    Oh, and two uni's I would recommend are Bulgari Black and Molinard Les Sentuers Patchouli
    First - thank you for your great suggestions! I forgot to add Coriolan to my list but that was another one I have been eager to get.

I already have Must EDT for women it is a lighter, less intense take on the scent with little of the depth & longevity of the parfum. I am however able to ebjoy the same effect as the parfum when I layer it with a simple rich vanilla / amber / or musk perfume oil. The parfum for women is rich, sultry but never oppressive - total class :-* It starts out beautifully and just gets better lasting for hours. You smell rich when you wear Must - for me it is a must! ;D

I listed the pour homme because I thought it might be a another interesting Cartier take on the Musk theme. I imagined it opening with greener sharper citrus notes and being smokier and more woodsy in the dry down over burnished amber with less floral notes then the female EDT. Am I thinking along the right lines? Maybe we could swap decants...

Présence by Mont Blanc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    Présence by Mont Blanc
    This is an amazingly warm sexy scent but still very classy & elegant. My Fiance wears this very well - It was the first fragrance I chose for him but I never thought to try it myself!! I shall have to remedy that tout suite!

Thanks for the suggestion! :-*

What about Dior Homme? This one is going to be winning many awards. Notes: Iris, Cardamom, Vetiver, Lavender, Leather

And then there is another favorite, CDG Avignon. Very incensy and woody with patchouli.

Great topic by the way! My sister can't stand florals so I have been thinking along the same lines for a gift for her. Thanks.

Kelley

Blog Entries

I am a female who enjoys wearing "men's" frags. Check out my wardrobe
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

WOW! Some pretty bold scents in the mix of your scents to try...I've narrowed down the ones that I think won't seem a little over the top...

Kenzo Jungle pour Homme
    Tiffany for Men
    CD Eau Sauvage Extreme
    Chanel Allure pour Homme (defnitely not insipid, a definite force here)
    Chopard Heaven (not sure of this one, so I left it in the list)
    Aramis Havanna
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Chanel pour Monsieur
    Guerlain Heritage
    Moschino pour Homme
    Givenchy Insense

There you go, not too many taken off, and if you like incense-y scents the way I'm going crazy looking for them right now, you'd might want to try Creed Himalaya, and ST Dupont Signature.

Cheers! ;D

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    [quote author=foetidus link=1133056039/0#5 date=1133061134][color=#0000cc][size=12]Funny that you have Must de Cartier Homme on your list because I was thinking of testing out the women's version because I see Must Homme a a scent with potential but is unsatisfying.
    First - thank you for your great suggestions! I *forgot to add Coriolan to my list but that was another one I have been eager to get.

I already have Must EDT for women it is a lighter, less intense take on the scent with little of the depth & longevity of the parfum. I am however able to ebjoy the same effect as the parfum when I layer it with a simple rich vanilla / amber / or musk perfume oil. The parfum for women is rich, sultry but never oppressive - total class *:-* It starts out beautifully and just gets better lasting for hours. You smell rich when you wear Must - for me it is a must! *;D

I listed the pour homme because I thought it might be a another interesting Cartier take on the Musk theme. I imagined it opening with greener sharper citrus notes and being smokier and more woodsy in the dry down over burnished amber with less floral notes then the female EDT. Am I thinking along the right lines? Maybe we could swap decants...[/quote]

Must Homme IS very interesting. It has tons of potential, but, as I said I'm left disappointed--I can't name why. *I wouldn't call the opening green--but spice, anise, which enriches the excellent citrus opening which I consider smooth rather than sharp. *The dry down does have sandalwood *but it is certainly not dominant to me (I can never get enough sandalwood). *Rather it's a rich balanced base with many of the traditional notes--tonka, vetiver, patcholi I think, and sandalwood. *Decants only in the summer when I'm back in the states--it's too inconvenient from here. *Besides I have only about 1/2 ounce of Must Homme left. *I don't think I'll be replacing it.

Coriolan is disappearing so it should be at the top of your list. *It would be a tragedy for you to miss this great one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_B.
    Présence by Mont Blanc
    Who was that man??? *said in breathy american female voice*

Andrew_B you are a man of great mystery and very few words... but you are also possessed of undoubted good taste!! (((( :-*))))

Have sampled the Mont Blanc Presence and cannot believe that I have missed out on this beauty for so long! It is less sweet on me then my DF but just as captivating and impressive. He had asked me to get him another bottle and now I shall definitely have to... so we can share! ;D

I forgot to add that I also enjoy wearing Jasper Conran Man. This is a fresh slightly fruity warm scent on me, similar to Javari but with less of the sweet muskiness. I love it in summer - just like the female version! Unfortunately it doesn't seem to last long, but as I intend to buy a huge bottle of this I can reapply to my heart's content.. LOL

Not seeing L'Instant Pour Homme on any lists. Of the readily-available 'masculine' and 'unisex' Guerlains I have, in terms of cross-scenting:

Vetiver Eau Glacée
    Vetiver
    L'Instant pH
    Eau du Coq * * * * * * * * * * *(sillage and longevity issues)
    Coriolan
    Habit Rouge
    Eau de Guerlain
    Eau de Cologne Impériale (sillage and longevity issues)
    Mouchoir de Monsieur * * * (sillage and longevity issues)
    Heritage

The list is in the order of suitability in my opinion - not ranked by my rate of consumption. I frequently wear Heritage as a SOTE. Have not had the pleasure of Derby but I have been a very good girl this year. Right, Santa?

Moondeva:

If you testdrive and find you like the Chanel pour Monsieur, you might also want to try Patricia de Nicolai's New York. My wife persists in her (errant!) belief that the stuff works better on women than men.

Another "officially" male scent that I enjoy wearing but which my elder daughter also enjoys stealing is Guerlain's Mouchoir de Monsieur. If you get a chance, it might be worth a serious and reflective snif.

Eau des Îles
    Secret Mélange
    Iris Bleu Gris
    Santal Noble (might be to much)
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier (all 1988)
    Nostalgia
    Eva
    Santa Maria Novella (both 2002)
    Number 3 / Le 3me Homme
    Caron (1985)
    Bois d'Iris (2000)
    Rose Poivrée (2001)