Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cartier Declaration: What a Fine Scent!

Occasionally I'm moved to praise a frag that I wore as my SOTD and this is one of them.

Having a large collection, and not wearing any one frag too often (say, once or twice a year), I "forget" what many frags smell like, how they wear, sillage, etc.

This one just blows me away. It's probably my favorite "wood" scent out there, even including my precious Fendi Life Essence. It's a very classy scent with great longetivity, but it doesn't create an "aura" around you like, say, Gucci Envy or other heavier wood frags. I could smell it on me all day without feeling that everyone within a 20 miles radius could also.

I checked out the reviews of this classic on the Directory and I was pleased to see that the overwhelming majority of reviewers agreed with me, but a few comments left me puzzled.

First, while my hat's off to gals who wear this scent, I don't in any way consider it unisex, as apparently it was marketed(?). It's very masculine to me, as most wood scents are.

Second, to a few that posted they picked up a body odor(???) note in Declaration, while I respect everyone's opinion, this one baffles me. There's no such note here! IMO, of course! Maybe it's the same note that makes, according to a lot here, Kouros smell like a urinal cake? lol

What's your opinion? This one hasn't been discussed recently, and for those looking for a wonderful, classy and unique scent that may not know this one, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Default Re: Cartier Declaration: What a Fine Scent!

What am I doing wrong.........I can't get it to come up with a Directory Search :-?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Ballard - I agree, it (and IMO along with all other Cartier fragrances) is an amazing release. I have the essence release and some day will get the original too. The bois Blue variant is also quite nice, cool and light.. When I first tried this one, I picked up a slight cumin note, this could be where the BO remarks are coming from - that said, the addition of the cumin is a mark of a high quality, rich fragrance - Top marks in my books.

Its nice to revisit forgotten gems in your collection.

This one gives me a headache. I don't know what the note is in it, but it's just overbearing. I gave it to my twin brother, and I don't think he wears it, either.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I think it is very interesting to see Mr. Michael Edwards consider this one as a DryWoods scent.
    It has a heavy birch-leaf note indeed, but to me it is still more of a sweet-woody-musky.

Still a great scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    What am I doing wrong.........I can't get it to come up with a Directory Search :-?

Dan
    There's an accent mark over the "e" in Declaration...the Directory Search requires the search be done with the accented "e" typed in. Rather than learn the enhanced keystrokes, I just pull up Cartier as the fragrance house and click the particular link to the particular frag this way.

As for Declaration, I love the scent, but I remember someone saying that they smelled something was burning and pinpointed it on me (wearing Declaration). Oh well, I'll still wear it, just won't spray as much.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

After some graet reviews and repeated samplings I tried to like it but ,alas,no.It really smells somehow feminine to me.Declaration Essence is slightly better,but it doesn't seem like a future's purchase for me.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Cardamom note in Declaration is somewhat overpowering to my nose, same problem in another Ellena's creation, Bigarade Concentree. I get the body odour note comparison, overload of cardamom seems to create it.
    I - in a way - do like the note, but it has a tendency to dominate the drydown.

Offtopic; Bigarade Concentree would be one of my favourite fresh fragrances, if it wasn't for the all cardamom drydown. So, my question is, does Cologne Bigarade have the same problem?

Colonge Bigarade and Bigarade Concentree' don't, in my opinion, have the same problem. Instead, it simply disappears! Alas, I love this scent but it only lasts about an hour on my skin. I have asked other people just to be sure and they all say no... nothing there. I have taken to spaying in on my chest and quickly pressing my shirt into it so that it lasts a little bit longer. This works and I can get it to last for a few hours. It stays very close to my skin but that's ok. The b.o. note in CB is from cumin and cedar and I love the two.

I have tried Declaration and loved it. Don't know why I don't own it yet. I do know that it is Jean Claude Ellena's favorite creation.

Kelley

I do agree that Declaration is a fine scent. It was something I bought
    early on as I started getting into fragrance wearing. Mine is in a 150ml
    bottle marked "Eau Genereuse." Cartier brings these bottles out each
    summer and sells them at a decent price. Is this a summer reformulation,
    or is it just the same juice in a larger, more generous size?

I haven't worn this much lately, but I still really like the smoked wood
    accord in the drydown.

I was about to remark on the, "Generuse" version but glad to see you using it. I asked the woman behind the counter at Nordstrom's about it and she admitted that while she wasn't sure she thought it was yet another lighter, slightly more fresh version of an old standard. I thought I got a much more citrus-y presence in it but that may have been a result of her comments.

I can't stand Declaration. It's a grotesque green woody fragrance that reeks of watered down BO. Shallow, too. :-(

It always gives me a lot of compliments - and I mean always!

Mic.

Declaration is one if my favorite scents. I do not understand why more people do not like it. I guess everyone has their one opinions. Everytime I am shopping for fragrances and another shopper/sales person asks what I like I point to declaration. They then smell it and say that that was ok. They then pick up curve or something like that and tell me to try that???? Anyways, It is a great scent.

You've resurrected a long-dead thread, but it's a good thread to bring back.
    I must agree that Declaration is well-made. I like both the regular and the
    Essence versions. It's the best of all the Jean-Claude Ellena scents I've
    smelled, with the exception of Rose Poivree, which I think is
    superb, but I've not wanted to pay its high price tag yet.

It is a bit unusual with the cumin and burnt wood accord. I think this might
    put some people off. I really think a lot of people don't look for "interesting"
    scents; they look for "nice" scents, and by that I mean pleasant but not
    demanding much of you to understand. There's nothing wrong with that.
    A "nice" scent has it's place. But it just doesn't interest me as much.
    I'm willing to put up with a degree of "discord" in the structure in order
    to keep the fragrance interesting. Now, if a fragrance can be harmonious and
    yet interesting at the same time, well, all the better.

Two thumbs up again for Declaration.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 26th November 2007 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    It always gives me a lot of compliments - and I mean always!
    That's the problem. It is so universally liked that it has become nobody's scent. Perhaps they should rename this Clich de Cartier.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Thank so much for bringing Declaration back to the front of my thoughts.
    I used it some time back when it first came out and really loved it.
    It has that fine sense of personality without fussiness evident in so many of Ellena's creations. I've been using both Terre and Kelly Caleche lately and this is a nice reminder to go out and get a bottle ...

Thank you guys!

I hadn't thought yet about my SotD for tomorrow and you provided the answer.

I have a sample of Declaration just calling my name!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zenman7 View Post
    Thank so much for bringing Declaration back to the front of my thoughts.
    I used it some time back when it first came out and really loved it.
    It has that fine sense of personality without fussiness evident in so many of Ellena's creations. I've been using both Terre and Kelly Caleche lately and this is a nice reminder to go out and get a bottle ...
    I agree - reading this thread makes me wanna go out and replace my bottle I used up years ago. The first thing I think about when I see Declaration is effervescent woods. Kind of like wood flavored club soda. There's nothing quite like it.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

That Ballardbeau dude really knew his shit!

LOL!!!!

I bought a 50 ml bottle just when it popped up. I liked the citrus in it. At about 2/3 of the bottle it turned against me, and from that time I couldn't stand it. Once or twice I tried it then but I had to wash it off.

i actually own all the versions. really good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I hadn't thought yet about my SotD for tomorrow
    I accidently spilled/used my entire 2 ml sample today.

My wife absolutely loved it - from three rooms away!

It is now after midnight, the dog has stopped howling and is beginning to revive.

I can say that I like it very much and, if I decide to purchase Declaration, I don't think I will have any problem remembering to apply it sparingly!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

A wonderful scent indeed......And No Body Odor with me either.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName View Post
    I can't stand Declaration. It's a grotesque green woody fragrance that reeks of watered down BO. Shallow, too. :-(
    I like it a lot. I find it suits me better than Cologne Bigarade or Bigarade Concentree from Frederic and that for a fraction of the Malle prices. I got 100ml Declaration in a gift packaging with six or nine, I don't remember, 2ml sprayers for $13,00 on eBay.

.... and most important, it lasts, it really lasts the whole day on my skin.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

It is one of those scents that I like and wantto buy, but end up getting something else. I hope to buy it at some point, but there is always something more exciting or rare.

How Aquatic or Marine is Declaration ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

>>> Whats its longevity like ?
    Does it say last longer than Michael Kors .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Couldn't like this one. It was very expensive and on a tester strip it smelled heavenly, so I went ahead and got it. I put it on my skin and after the first few minutes it turns into this soft mellow sweet sickness that I had to get rid off.. Sorry don't agree with the Declaration.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    How Aquatic or Marine is Declaration ?

Not aquatic or marine at all. It's citrus and smoked woods, with a wiff of cumin thrown in.
    I like it a lot.

I bought both Declaration and Declaration Essence today in a local department store for half price in the January sales.

Both bottles are marked "Limited Edition." Does this mean they are different from the standard scents? The Essence is beautful, with a woody scent underpinned by chocolate and citrus. The Declaration is slightly more citrussy, but also has a chocolate note.

The Essence LE bottle is blue with a brown graduation at the bottom. The Declaration LE bottle is also brown at the bottom, graduating upward into a sea-green and then a pale yellow-green at the top.

Can anyone tell me more about these fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Not aquatic or marine at all. It's citrus and smoked woods, with a wiff of cumin thrown in.
    I like it a lot.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    ... Can anyone tell me more about these fragrances?
    I did read somewhere that it is similar to terre d´hermes but it seems to be that it is different enough. So it´s in my wishlist.

I had no chance to test it here so i need more infos too for my blindbuy.
    Last edited by sanatik; 25th February 2008 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    I like it a lot.
    Bingo!!! if i may add..it has the very same powdery nature of lalique la parfum or a dior homme...

Declaration smells fine but after experiencing later Ellena creations it smells like a sparse incomplete framework which he has filled in with his later works. The cumin note stands out at time and may be more perceptible to some.

I find similarities with Bulgari au the Verte, which shares many of the same notes...it lacks cumin but displays a somewhat similar crisp peppery accord with better balanced florals and a kick of green tea. I like the story behind au The Verte...Ellena shipping it around to various houses but none willing to take it on...in the end the fragrance got the success it deserved (via Bulgari) and still stands as one of Ellena's finest works. If Declaration doesn't work for you, give au The Verte a try.
    -

I am also a Fan of this House.....Gary

It's good to see this thread come back.

The limited edition bottles mentioned above were probably just limited edition packaging.
    I think the juice is the same.

I think this is one of Ellena's better fragrances.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    thanks.

I did read somewhere that it is similar to terre dhermes but it seems to be that it is different enough. So its in my wishlist.

I had no chance to test it here so i need more infos too for my blindbuy.

I don't think it's too similar to Terre, but I've only briefly sampled Terre. They are both
    from the same perfumer, so there may be more similarity than I've detected.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 26th February 2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

After having my last drop more than 2 years ago, this thread has got me thinking of it once again.

thx zztop & trumpet_guy

There is also an Bulgari au the Verte EXTREME version from ellena. I hope that thay are not too Neutral. and for declaration i hope i can use it as an office scent.

Last edited by sanatik; 20th March 2008 at 01:09 PM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Chanel Chance = Baldessarini
    Iceberg Twice = Opium PH EDT"

the above two comparisons...right there i dotn agree... yang is tea based...and declaration is kinda gourmand...i like de3claration, but only on others...maybe it doesnt suit my personality..but hey, i always go..wow, tht smells so rich whn others wear it...

thx.

didn´t recognized that in declaration is a chocolate note. Is that the reason why you call it kinda gourmand ?

To me knowledge there is no chocolate in declaration and this is the first I've heard of it. To me, it is fresh notes, smoked woods, and a dash of cumin which comes out on some people and not as much on others.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I agree - reading this thread makes me wanna go out and replace my bottle I used up years ago. The first thing I think about when I see Declaration is effervescent woods. Kind of like wood flavored club soda. There's nothing quite like it.
    That's what I get from it too and like so much. I really enjoy the shower gel as well. If this were to turn sweet on myself, I would not be so enamored. It stays cool and woody for me. I'm not a fan of TdH which does turn sweet on myself and renders it unwearable.

Post Re: Cartier Declaration: What a Fine Scent!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod View Post

Dan
    Dan, I don't know that I would be too concerned about. I don't know why, but I got bad vibes about opening links pertaining to basenotes. Probably nothing, but if I can't access direct from this site I'm not going there.
    Regards Ron
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

I was going to make THE CARTIER DECLARATION THREAD but I thought I'd just bump this.

In my thread Looking for a bright, energetic fragrance, Cartier Declaration (original) was mentioned. I sampled it today, and damn, do I like it, even if it's not the vibe that I was looking for there.

I have many questions about it now, some that I've read up on already: Basically, there are Cologne, EDT, and Essence formulations. I sampled the EDT today. I can't seem to get a consensus on what the difference is between the EDT and the Essence (and the Cologne). There are many contradictory things written. If anyone else wants to chip in their two cents, feel free. Secondly, like most fragrances, would anyone care to claim that this one has suffered through reformulation, and if so, how? (I wouldn't mind looking for vintage if it's even better.) Lastly, Declaration is sold super cheap online on Ebay and Amazon, like 50-75% off retail at Nieman Marcus and the like--Is this legit?

There appear to be some differences in taste concerning the cardamom/cumin note, but I like it. It's flavorful, spicy, interesting, has gravitas. All good, in my book.
    Last edited by RC.; 16th November 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Unfortunately don't know the answers to your questions, but i agree that it's a very good one. The original Declaration. I have 2 edt bottles, both several years old.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Have been wearing this today as my scent of the day. I think it's a very sensual fragrance and I'm impressed with the development on my skin and it has great longevity. The only thing I wish was better is the projection which is below average. Great scent though and I think I will pick up the Essence version and compare.

Having read concerns of reformulations, I went yesterday to sephora to smell for myself. To my great relief the new bottles smelled the same as my old one. To my nose no change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Having read concerns of reformulations, I went yesterday to sephora to smell for myself. To my great relief the new bottles smelled the same as my old one. To my nose no change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for checking on that. Good to know.

Declaration is a wonderful scent and glad it forms part of my collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Layer upon layer of spicy subtlety always strike me, naturally in a pleasant way, whenever I get to sense this fragrance.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

It's a versatile workhorse fragrance - probably one of JC Ellena's finest work. The Essence and Bois Bleu flankers are equally good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    Agreed, and I was nervous as well. I do suspect the drydown is a little less mossy than before, but Declaration was never a moss-monster to begin with.

As to the differences between the original EdT and the Essence (both of which I own): They open similarly, with a rush of citrus and spices, and cardamom is a major player in both versions. After the opening, original Declaration continues along its merry, citrus/spicy way, and has a shimmering quality - it sort of fades in and out of detectability and feels very sheer, not thick or heavy at all. Essence, however, takes a turn down a woodier, slightly sweeter path, and the scent itself has a bit less sprightliness, but more density. The base notes also have more body to them - I believe labdanum is included in Essence's formula, and I do smell some of its heft, as well as a stronger cedar note than the original. The original is bone-dry and almost medicinal at times; Essence is slightly more damp and less biting. I wear Declaration almost exclusively in the summer; Essence gets a lot of play from early spring to early fall. Neither have enough heft for winter wear, in my opinion; they're both on the sheer, breathable side, and I like my winter scents to be brick-wall thick.

Both Declaration and Essence are my "desert island" scents (I refuse to pick only one, lest I have a Sophie's Choice-esque moment of panic right here on a message board). Glad these classics have found another fan!

I have recently purchased both the original and essence declaration bottles and love the original but do not think much of the essence version.

I mean the essence smells nice but is lacking when compared to the original Declaration. It's darker and seems to be missing a lot of what made the original great. The longevity only seems to last for three hours or so where I would get all day with the original though the projection seems to be the same at just below average.

This Essence version feels like the B version of Declaration where everything is not as streamlined or satisfying. With the original Declaration you get the whole show with a complex symphony of notes where the fragrance actually gets better and better as time goes by. It's rare for me where four/five hours pass and you are liking a scent better and better.

With the essence it starts in the mid to basenotes of the original with a lot of notes stripped out. It's like your getting half a show with a back up singer instead of the star of the show.

I have tried both but I only went as far as owning the original EdT. Yes, it has been reformulated but it isn't too drastic. I originally tried the EdT of Declaration a few years ago and got a bottle very cheaply in the Christmas sales. At some point I associated the cumin and cardamom notes to an Indian restaurant and then started to go off it so I gave my bottle away.

Whilst on honeymoon this past summer though, I tried it again. It projected very well in the heat so I ended up getting another cheap bottle from an online retailer and have got on well with it since.

Didn't like the Essence at all and I remember getting as far as the opening before I went to wash it off. Didn't try it properly though, so I can't give a detailed account as Jack did above.

Had received two edt samples so decided to try this out today...

Declaration totally blew me off my feet...went a bit heavy (7 sprays) and the mid and base notes are awesome! Kept smelling it hovering all around me and super!

Projection and sillage I would say is low,though I kept smelling it and was worried it may have been too strong, had to get close to people to detect it.

Longevity lasted nearly 8 hrs on my skin, with a whiff now and then coming through upto 7 hrs or so.

Definetly gonna get a full bottle of this! Wasn't expecting it to be this delectable :-)

Now am really curious to try the pepper+rose declaration ...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Hello,

when i saw this thread i thought of my sample Declaration EdT i got last year.
    Because at that time i solved many natural resins the first thing that came to my mind when i smelled Declaration:
    Galbanum
    Just back from my cellar i compared my Galbanum-solution with Declaration.
    Again i thought this could be a fairly good match.
    Is it only me that thinks of Galbanum or have you the same impression...?

It isn't sayd from me that there must be Galbanum in this perfume maybe this is a good impression of galbanum made with other materials.

would be very curious for your thoughts...

Hondo

I get a lot similarities not identical folks to TDh...nice frag but TDh does it way better!!!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I agree, this is a find fragrance. Nice to see the members from days of old. My where have they gone? lol
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

One of my favorites. I get frequent compliments on this one, too. I used to think it was similar to Terre d'Hermes, but not so much anymore, apart from the "dirty" citrus quality in the beginning. Otherwise they're pretty darned different. I find Declaration to be more cheerful and smooth, whereas TdH has a rugged, earthier quality.