Code of Conduct

Default Need help on choosing fragrance

Hi I'm new here, but I've been really interested in the whole fragrance thing lately.

I wanted to choose a fragrance that is the following:

1. Fresh yet masculine
    2. Subtle and not overpowering because I have a very sensitive olfactory system
    3. Something that is original
    4. Long lasting

I'm deciding on these now:

1. CK Eternity Summer
    2. Marc Jacobs for Men
    3. Burberry Brit for Men
    4. D & G Pour Homme

Any inputs are appreciated

Default Re: Need help on choosing fragrance

out of the ones you listed....D&G ph

might I also suggest...

Havana
    Vetiver Tonka
    Gendarme

Please remember that some scents will smell different once they "drydown"
    Gendarme and Vetiver Tonka are two of my favorites...they may be viewed as feminine by some but I feel after 15 minutes they "fuse" with your chemistry to form a unique scent "all yours"

thanks

and what i've been learning here is that it also depends on your body chemistry.

Hi,

What you describe is essentially what I look for in a fragrance too. Of the fragrances I wear, I'd suggest Guerlain Vetiver, Dunhill Original and Edition, Armani PH and D&G PH (the latter can be a bit overpowering if you are senstitive, but has great longevity). I also love Eau Sauvage, Bvlgari PH and L'Instant but find the longevity lacking.

I think these are classy fragrances which stand apart from the many other "fresh" fragrances on the market - Issey, Acqua di Gio, Cool Water, etc etc... given that you asked for something "original".

Of fragrances I don't own but would like to, I'd add Acqua di Parma (poor longevity), Chanel PM, YSL PH, and some of the old English fragrances from Floris, Trumpers and Penhaligons.

Ged

Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Wow!

Thanks for the response.

Because I'm new, I have not heard of most of these other fragrances you mentioned. I'll have to look them up, but do you guys have any comments on the ones I mentioned?

I know they may not be totally original since they are popular name brands, but as long as it fits my other qualifications of subtle freshness with masculinity and of course, longevity.

Thanks

Burberry Brit is it!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Of the fragrances you list, I only know Dolce & Gabbana. It meets all of your criteria except the requirement not to be overpowering. I would suggest Guerlain Vetiver or Chanel Pour Monsieur (the Concentree version if you can - it lasts longer).

Don't forget about Gucci ENVY!!!

i happen to not like CK Eternity Summer (if i recall) and Marc Jacobs for Men (for sure). but really, just go with your own nose. and maybe that of a girlfriend or whatever. you're the one that's gonna be wearing it.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Thanks again for the input. It sounds like D&G should be the one, but the overpowering aspect kinda scares me off.

I am a relatively quiet man, and I think my fragrance should reflect that.

But like people have been telling me here, I just have to check it out myself.

In the meantime, what is so special about Brit? I heard people like the ginger smell, but can it get annoying?

I mean smelling gingerbread for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by cologneprince
    Thanks again for the input. It sounds like D&G should be the one, but the overpowering aspect kinda scares me off.

I am a relatively quiet man, and I think my fragrance should reflect that.

But like people have been telling me here, I just have to check it out myself.

In the meantime, what is so special about Brit? I heard people like the ginger smell, but can it get annoying?

I mean smelling gingerbread for a long time?
    In my opinion, Brit is very versatile and spicy. It lasts well, could be considered fresh and I think it could be warn on warmer days too. It does smell like gingerbread but it's a subtle scent, on me at least, that would never offend anybody. In my opinion, Brit is better for a quiet man than D&G PH is.

But the best thing to do is go test them yourself. I'd never buy anything without testing it first.

Some here consider Gucci Envy, Guerlain Vetiver, D&G PH, Havana, and Burberry Brit to be subtle? I guess we have very different concepts of subtle. My recommendations would be along the lines of Lanvin L'Homme or Bulgari Pour Homme. Both unmistakably masculine, fresh, and subtle without being blandish wallflowers.

Jeff

I would say, go out to the stores, sniff a few and get the one that you really like. People will say try this and try that scent but ultimately, it's what you like. The only way to find out is to go on sniffing expeditions to the stores.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H.
    Some here consider Gucci Envy, Guerlain Vetiver, D&G PH, Havana, and Burberry Brit to be subtle? I guess we have very different concepts of subtle. My recommendations would be along the lines of Lanvin L'Homme or Bulgari Pour Homme. Both unmistakably masculine, fresh, and subtle without being blandish wallflowers.

Jeff

AFter reading reviews, I get the idea that D&G PH is a very powerful fragrance, but Brit is more subtle than D&G or the other ones mentioned above.

Am I right in saying that?

I'm leaning towards Brit since I don't think too many people have it, but also because I hear it smell nice but very subtle. Of course, I will test these out first, but I wanted to narrow my choices beforehand.

I don't want to announce my entrance with my cologne a mile away!

Happy T-day and thanks again for the help everyone!

I have to make the usual disclaimer that fragrances behave differently on different people's skin, but on me, Brit is significantly more subtle than D&G. Not better mind(!), but more suble.

D & G PH is VERY bold, and will definitely get you a lot of attention, especially if you aren't conservative. I probably won't recommend it to a quiet person, unless you are confident and think you can pull it of. Too bad I haven't tried the others, so I can't really compare

I love D&G though, it has so many different dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by cologneprince
    [quote author=Jeff H. link=1132728202/0#11 date=1132780488]Some here consider Gucci Envy, Guerlain Vetiver, D&G PH, Havana, and Burberry Brit to be subtle? I guess we have very different concepts of subtle. My recommendations would be along the lines of Lanvin L'Homme or Bulgari Pour Homme. Both unmistakably masculine, fresh, and subtle without being blandish wallflowers.

Jeff *

AFter reading reviews, I get the idea that D&G PH is a very powerful fragrance, but Brit is more subtle than D&G or the other ones mentioned above.

Am I right in saying that?
    [/quote]

Yes, I think you are. In my experience, Burberry Brit is indeed the most subtle of the list of fragrances I suggest are in fact not so subtle. This is particularly true after an hour or so when you progress through the topnotes. Good luck finding the scent you're looking for!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Zeppelindays
    D & G PH is VERY bold, and will definitely get you a lot of attention, especially if you aren't conservative. I probably won't recommend it to a quiet person, unless you are confident and think you can pull it of. Too bad I haven't tried the others, so I can't really compare

I love D&G though, it has so many different dimensions
    This comment leads me to another question.

As you may know I have been looking for a scent that is masculine, yet sweet, sweet but not overpowering, subtle yet also long-lasting.

I'm sure there are tradeoffs since everyone might want the same thing and that's why you have so many choices, but this idea of different dimensions got me wondering: Do subtle fragrances lack complexity? Are they linear as the term is used here to describe "average" fragrances? Do the stronger fragrances only show this kind of interesting transformation from the top notes, middle notes and evenually to the basenotes?

I'm leaning towards Brit, but I've also been looking through this website and started getting interested in finding more about Dior Homme by Christian Dior, M7 by YSL, and Vetiver by Guerlain (thanks for those who recommended it).

Thanks again!

edit: actually, I don't know what the term "linear" actually means. Is it good for a scent to be linear? So much I need to learn.

As you may know I have been looking for a scent that is masculine, yet sweet, sweet but not overpowering, subtle yet also long-lasting.
    I believe J. del Pozo's "Quasar" is what you might be looking for. (Not to be confused with the "O Boticário" one.) But I'm not sure how long-lasting it will be on your skin. It's fresh, banana peel scent is very original, but not overpowering.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

I wouldn't recomment M7 if you're looking for subtle. That's quite a powerful scent that will definitely be a big presence around you. It's very masculine but I don't think it's what you're looking for (it's just way too powerful compared to 'subtle').

Guerlain's vetiver is quite nice and fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Allen-at-home
    I believe J. del Pozo's "Quasar" is what you might be looking for. (Not to be confused with the "O Boticário" one.) But I'm not sure how long-lasting it will be on your skin. It's fresh, banana peel scent is very original, but not overpowering.
    mm...banana scent...sounds interesting. I'll look into quasar.

Also, thanks myaccolades for the M7 tip. I'll take it off my list if that's the case.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    out of the ones you listed....D&G ph

might I also suggest...

Havana
    Vetiver Tonka
    Gendarme

Please remember that some scents will smell different once they "drydown"
    Gendarme and Vetiver Tonka are two of my favorites...they may be viewed as feminine by some but I feel after 15 minutes they "fuse" with your chemistry to form a unique scent "all yours"

I tried to find vetiver tonka on perfume emporium, but I don't know what the company name is?

May I suggest Chanel Pour Monsieur? (the classic one, not the Concentree)

I think it's everything you're looking for: it's quite masculine, it opens up citrusy but dries down to a sweet vanilla-mossy base (which is, for the most part, what you're going to be smelling most consistantly over the course of the day), it isn't overpowering at all, it's quite subtle - it wears close to the skin, and it will last - but only very close to the skin (take note!). Some people have a problem with the sillage and longevity (some find the sillage is poor and longevity short) but I find that it's great the way it is. *It's a warm, sexy, intimate scent that only those closest to you should smell. *I never wear it to make a presence or to define myself but rather I wear it to compliment the image that I already project - if you know what I mean. I also find it very comforting because it reminds me a lot of my childhood.

I consider it my intimate 'snuggle scent' but I also find that it's perfectly fine to wear daily.

It's a definite classic.

I would second the Chanel Pour Monsieur suggestion--but it is expensive. The Bulgari Pour Homme suggestion is also excellent but I would go with the concentree version for longevity. The best suggestion from my personal point of view is the Lanvin L'Homme suggestion. It is everything you've asked for: fresh and masculine, subtle, long lasting, and I don't smell it everywhere I go.